AVS Forum banner

37221 - 37240 of 37862 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can turn off the projector via harmony. You probably need a macro that does power off, sleep 100ms power off. I'd probably repeat that 3 or 4 times to be safe.
No need for a macro. All you need is to change the power-off sequence within projector power settings. Also I recommend to add a preliminar IR command (I used OK plus a pause) in the beginning of the power-on sequence to avoid any issue with ecomode too. Because any IR command can awake the projector. It works 100% of times to me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Does someone know if I unplug My rs1000 for an extended period of time, will the settings stay unchanged (do I need to redo TO)

had a storm last night and unplugged projector/electronics.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Does someone know if I unplug My rs1000 for an extended period of time, will the settings stay unchanged (do I need to redo TO)

had a storm last night and unplugged projector/electronics.
All your settings will not change even if you unplug your projector and most electronics.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to get some suggestions. I currently have a 150 inch painted wall, used the gray color and painted some beadboard. The room is painted black also. So i got the craziest deal of 2021 from amazon. Got the elite screen 180 sable 2 series projector screen for $230 for used acceptable which i got lucky and its brand new basically. The question is should i try to do 170 inch screen or 180 if i could. I have jvc rs1000 which has 1800 lumens and my room has controlled lighting. Will the image quality degrade a lot if i do 180 inch or should i keep it at around 170. I have close to the 23 feet of room from back wall to the screen. Which should be almost good enough. The throw projection stated i need 24.9ft for 180 which i wont be able to do i guess. Should i try to do around 170 to 175 inch? Also will the image degrade a little? I am asking because i have no idea lol. Forgot to mention its a cinebright 1.1 gain.
I would just start with the projector far enough back to produce the largest picture possible and then move it forward in 5 inch smaller sizes until you reach the size that feels most comfortable and produces the best image. If you can go with a smaller screen, but sit closer, you will have a brighter image. Experiment and you'll pick your best option.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I would greatly appreciate it if any followers of this thread who also own a Lumagen Radiance Pro 9 (such as @Mike Garrett?) could do a small favor for me. Please put on HDR source material (BD Disk or streaming) with DTM enabled in the RP and then access the final JVC information screen and look at the reported nits. For some reason, my NX7 consistently reports 1000/400 nits from the Lumagen irrespective of source material, despite the fact that the Radiance Pro's 2nd information screen shows a different source MaxCLL in nit (for example, greater than 9,900 MaxCLL for Mad Max: Fury Road). I'm trying to figure out whether this is typical for all owners of the current JVC PJ series or represents a malfunction of my RP (present ever since I purchased it), possibly indicating that my RP is outputting static tone mapping, rather than dynamic, consistently at 1000/400 nits. Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can take the time to corroborate this finding.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
I would greatly appreciate it if any followers of this thread who also own a Lumagen Radiance Pro 9 (such as @Mike Garrett?) could do a small favor for me. Please put on HDR source material (BD Disk or streaming) with DTM enabled in the RP and then access the final JVC information screen and look at the reported nits. For some reason, my NX7 consistently reports 1000/400 nits from the Lumagen irrespective of source material, despite the fact that the Radiance Pro's 2nd information screen shows a different source MaxCLL in nit (for example, greater than 9,900 MaxCLL for Mad Max: Fury Road). I'm trying to figure out whether this is typical for all owners of the current JVC PJ series or represents a malfunction of my RP (present ever since I purchased it), possibly indicating that my RP is outputting static tone mapping, rather than dynamic, consistently at 1000/400 nits. Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can take the time to corroborate this finding.
I don’t have a Lumagen, but isn’t this behavior to be expected if the Lumagen is doing dynamic tone mapping? It should be sending static metadata to the projector, as the latter shouldn’t be doing another round of dynamic tone mapping after the Lumagen has already done it.
By the same token, in this situation I believe the NX7 should be placed in HDR10 mode rather than Frame Adapt HDR mode.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Thanks, Dom, but until another RP & NX/RS owner substantiates this for their system, it seems like a glitch. Why would the RP ALWAYS report MaxCLL 1000/MaxFALL 400 to the PJ irrespective of the actual metadata values as shown on page 2 of RP info? Why would EVERY HDR content, from a dark movie like "BR2049" to an excessively bright one like "The Meg" or "Mad Max" be tone mapped to identical values? These aren't the metadata values indicated by my NX7 when it is fed that same HDR content directly from the source (irrespective of whether the NX7 is in either HDR10 or Frame Adapt mode). The values which are shown in that situation are consistent with published material for that content. The RP is dynamically tone mapping throughout video, so why would it be sending a report of static metadata to the PJ?And, if the RP is correct in those output values, why be mapped into such constrained limits irrespective of my system's capability since I'm unaware of any setting in the RP that corresponds to those specific values?

·
Registered
30,735 Posts
Thanks, Dom, but until another RP & NX/RS owner substantiates this for their system, it seems like a glitch. Why would the RP ALWAYS report MaxCLL 1000/MaxFALL 400 to the PJ irrespective of the actual metadata values as shown on page 2 of RP info? Why would EVERY HDR content, from a dark movie like "BR2049" to an excessively bright one like "The Meg" or "Mad Max" be tone mapped to identical values? These aren't the metadata values indicated by my NX7 when it is fed that same HDR content directly from the source (irrespective of whether the NX7 is in either HDR10 or Frame Adapt mode). The values which are shown in that situation are consistent with published material for that content. The RP is dynamically tone mapping throughout video, so why would it be sending a report of static metadata to the PJ?And, if the RP is correct in those output values, why be mapped into such constrained limits irrespective of my system's capability since I'm unaware of any setting in the RP that corresponds to those specific values?
I am running older firmware in my JVC, but what you are seeing is correct. And yes, my RS3000 reports the same.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I am running older firmware in my JVC, but what you are seeing is correct. And yes, my RS3000 reports the same.
Thanks, Mike, for confirming this. Could you speculate as to why the RP consistently reports the same MaxCLL/MaxFall (1000/400) metadata for both the NX7 & RS3000 under all circumstances irrespective of actual content's metadata nits?

·
Registered
Jvc nx7,dcr lens, stewart cima neve screen,Denon AVR-X4400H,outlaw 5000,hsu 15h, polk audio,
212 Posts
I set up my nx7 today and my room is not long enough to fill my screen ,I'm about 2 inches short on each side of the screen. I need to fill a 105 wide screen from about 12.5 feet . Will a panamorph lens help my situation?

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
I set up my nx7 today and my room is not long enough to fill my screen ,I'm about 2 inches short on each side of the screen. I need to fill a 105 wide screen from about 12.5 feet . Will a panamorph lens help my situation?
Are you using the Zoom aspect ratio which is wider than Auto?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I've been reading articles about the industry excitement over Godzilla vs Kong performing well in theaters. Does anyone here really miss going to the theater? My 17 year old son had his friends over to watch Godzilla on my NX9 and they all agreed it was a better experience than the movie theater. Studios releasing movies on streaming the same day as theaters has been wonderful! Disney released Mulan to streaming for $29 it did well enough that Black Widow will get the same treatment this summer. I didn't have any interest in Mulan but I'll pay the money to stream Black Widow and skip the theater.
Going to the theater is why I fell in the love with all this stuff in the first place. The quality of sound and picture in my and many of our home theaters is superior, but the sense of scale that a 80 ft wide Scope screen with 8 ft 4 way horns at the best theaters is something that is very hard to recreate in our small spaces. I like to go about 3-5 times a year with my wife to Harkins theater and experience this.
As a metaphor; like food, I love cooking at home but going out to a nice restaurant is great too.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hi all, its been awhile since I've calibrated my projector. If I choose User 4 for 16.9 and User 5 for 2.40 ( Both HDR ) how do I assign User 5 to 2.40 ? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,369 Posts
Because the lumagen is doing the tone mapping. The projector should be given values that it will not change or tone map. The meta values are the targets not the brightness of a given frame. In reality, they probably shouldn't be passed along at all. But the NX7/NX9 currently has a bug/feature that it will into go into HDR mode with filter if you don't have HDR stream. So perhaps that's why the RP is passing along any maxCLL values at all. Once tone mapped, though, those values aren't needed at all.

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi all, its been awhile since I've calibrated my projector. If I choose User 4 for 16.9 and User 5 for 2.40 ( Both HDR ) how do I assign User 5 to 2.40 ? Thanks
There's no way to select them together automatically, if this is what you mean. I do it with macros on my logitech harmony: i send first the command to switch the Picture Mode and then the command to select the installation mode. Of course this is not feasible with Frame Adapt HDR, a very peculiar mode that you can't configure differently for different aspect ratios.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think it requires the additional step of changing picture mode to User 5 after you switch to the 2.4 installation mode.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There's no way to select them together automatically, if this is what you mean. I do it with macros on my logitech harmony: i send first the command to switch the Picture Mode and then the command to select the installation mode. Of course this is not feasible with Frame Adapt HDR, a very peculiar mode that you can't configure differently for different aspect ratios.
Thanks Paul

37221 - 37240 of 37862 Posts