AVS Forum banner
41881 - 41900 of 43265 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
32,470 Posts
Is there anything else to talk about with the Nx projectors ?
Can say they have been really good projectors and have had a good run. Stayed on the cutting edge for longer than most models and other than laser, continue to be at the top of the game for image quality. I expect them to still be top contenders for image quality, even after CEDIA this year.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Can say they have been really good projectors and have had a good run. Stayed on the cutting edge for longer than most models and other than laser, continue to be at the top of the game for image quality. I expect them to still be top contenders for image quality, even after CEDIA this year.
Yep, and I shudder at the cluster coming when lasers are dropped in these. Could be ugly.

I heard Jim at Lumagen talking about how his RS4500 has dropped quite a bit in brightness. He's down to 75 nits from being over 100 initially.

I'd still like to be able to remedy that with a new bulb. I want laser eventually, but not until it's far more perfected than now.

·
Registered
28,426 Posts
I suppose you buy $1,000 replacement power cables, "audiophile" ethernet cables for your router etc?
But they work really well with cable lift risers and magical resonance absorbing stones in the corners of the room! :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My favorite was the cable lifters. Blocks of wood or plastic sold for ridiculous prices.
Too bad I can't find the picture where legos were used as cable lifters. Everything lego is so cool that I could probably do that in gaming room even if it makes no difference. Well, it would act as cable management so it would make some difference.

·
Registered
32,470 Posts
Too bad I can't find the picture where legos were used as cable lifters. Everything lego is so cool that I could probably do that in gaming room even if it makes no difference. Well, it would act as cable management so it would make some difference.
Somewhere on AVS there used to be pictures of an anamorphic lens transport that used lego parts and motors to move the lens in and out of the light path.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
What? No they don’t lol.
UPSes sure do degrade A/V quality. They have a high impedance which kills dynamics in a system. That's in addition to a sine wave which is often worse than what's coming from your wall, especially with load applied. Granted, the degradation is more apparent for audio more than video; but there is still video degradation, especially for D-iLA and SXRD projectors like JVC and Sony, which use inherently analog panels (no, I'm not referring to the bulb).

To each his own - it makes no sense to me to degrade your system A/V quality for the .0001% chance that there is a power outage. And even if there is, I don't understand the big deal -- so you reduce the life of a lamp that is easily replaced and a small % of the total cost of the projector.
Perhaps you also put a helmet on when going for a walk? After all, a few people are killed every year in NYC by falling debris.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
UPSes sure do degrade A/V quality. They have a high impedance which kills dynamics in a system. That's in addition to a sine wave which is often worse than what's coming from your wall, especially with load applied. Granted, the degradation is more apparent for audio more than video; but there is still video degradation, especially for D-iLA and SXRD projectors like JVC and Sony, which use inherently analog panels (no, I'm not referring to the bulb).

To each his own - it makes no sense to me to degrade your system A/V quality for the .0001% chance that there is a power outage. And even if there is, I don't understand the big deal -- so you reduce the life of a lamp that is easily replaced and a small % of the total cost of the projector.
Perhaps you also put a helmet on when going for a walk? After all, a few people are killed every year in NYC by falling debris.
Not really sure what you’re talking about. I guess it depends on the UPS. Mine basically steps aside as long as power is being provided by the power company. If the power should fail when I’m watching a program on the projector it lets me know and gives me time to shut down the projector with proper cooling. I don’t look at the UPS screen and see how many more minutes I can watch my movie :). Mine is a pure wave UPS so when it needs to kick in it’s not providing some alien form of electric power.
I’m not sure what the consequences are when power is shut down abruptly but there is obviously a good reason why the fans continue to run for a couple minutes after you shut down the projector.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
There is a bit more to that story, its NOT what you think..
Hmmm, he didn't expand on it. It was just a comment he made while discussing low and high ratio settings.

Can you expand? Did he triple the size of his screen or something?

·
Registered
336 Posts
HDMI 2.1 is being considered, but I cannot make a binding commitment at this point, as there are probably still problems with chip production due to the global corona pandemic.
I need HDMI 2.1 and VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) on these new JVC projectors or else I don't give a damn. I have no 8k content except what MadVR can upscale. Without VRR, the only benefit of HDMI 2.1 for my use case is full RGB 12-bit color. And that's only if I upgrade my graphics card too.

Come on JVC. Make it happen. Variable refresh rate on a projector must be hard, but it also must be done sooner or later. Latency on those OLED TVs is getting low.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can anyone share foot lambert readings on a RS2000? The online calculators I have been able to find seem to be based on OEM's specs and, as such, maybe higher than real ones. I understand the variables that affect it (throw distance, zoom lens position, screen gain) so I am not looking for an explanation of that but what does an RS2000 actually produces given your setup. I know how many fL look good to me when movie watching and I want to establish screen size for the RS2000 based on this. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,276 Posts
Going by this thread Mike I think Cedia might not go ahead. JVC is out as well as many other brands

·
Registered
32,470 Posts

·
Registered
32,470 Posts
So JVC will make an appearance ?
No for JVC. I will send you a link where you can hear from JVC about the new products and ask questions live.

41881 - 41900 of 43265 Posts