AVS Forum banner

4721 - 4740 of 29479 Posts

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I was wondering if any of the new JVC owners have a copy of the Imax Enhanced Beautiful Planet. The disk has lots of deep black sequences that might be nice to compare on these new models. The images are reference quality in my opinion.
It is also one of the first disks with Imax enhance sound which Dennon & Marantz just issues firmware updates for a few of their receivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Planet-UHD-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B07J35T8H2

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I tried that but thought the image lost some blacks and tended to look a little washed out :confused:
You may need to adjust brightness or change the gamma used. Unless I'm mistaken the other controls (Picture tone, dark level, bright level) will change with auto tone mapping enabled on a per title basis. Which is why the mapping level seems like it should be what you would use to compensate for screen sizing. If it doesn't appear dim in titles with metadata (don't use Disney) then it's probably fine where it is (though I would think you would need to adjust it some as it doesn't seem like the gain would offset the size difference).

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is not an issue with your projector, it's actually encoded in the movie that way. I have the bluray but it's the same. Here is a screen capture of playback (not a photo of the way my projector shows it, but an actual screen capture of the image playing at the source).
markmon1
Just out of curiosity and probably a stupid question, but how do you do a screen capture?

Also, I must say that as good as these projectors are, whenever you or Javs or others have posted screen capture photos, the projected images mostly come up lacking in comparison.

Note the grain in her face, the haloing on her collar and shoulders.

Maybe Ronald Epstein's projector hasn't been calibrated, but his image looks pretty rough compared to the screen capture.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
markmon1
Just out of curiosity and probably a stupid question, but how do you do a screen capture?

Also, I must say that as good as these projectors are, whenever you or Javs or others have posted screen capture photos, the projected images mostly come up lacking in comparison.

Maybe Ronald Epstein's projector hasn't been calibrated, but his image looks pretty rough compared to the screen capture.
Taking a frame capture from a program does not involve a camera. Most people aren't capturing projected images with calibrated professional camera. So that introduces a lot of potential for differences that aren't necessarily there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Taking a frame capture from a program does not involve a camera. Most people aren't capturing projected images with calibrated professional camera. So that introduces a lot of potential for differences that aren't necessarily there.
How does one calibrate a camera?? Are you talking about white balance? How would u calibrate a camera's sensor for color etc?

You can calibrate your display device /printer etc but never heard of calibrating the camera itself. I have been shooting on a prosumer level since over 15 yrs now and dont know anything about camera calibration (lens calibration yes/ white balance setting yes but not color calibration).

If you have any resources that can provide more details it would be greatly appreciated.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,728
How does one calibrate a camera?? Are you talking about white balance? How would u calibrate a camera's sensor for color etc?

You can calibrate your display device /printer etc but never heard of calibrating the camera itself. I have been shooting on a prosumer level since over 15 yrs now and dont know anything about camera calibration (lens calibration yes/ white balance setting yes but not color calibration).

If you have any resources that can provide more details it would be greatly appreciated.
Get more accurate color with camera calibration

:wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
haha I wish it was true though. He is not calibrating the camera , but the output he is calibrating the output and creating a custom color profile to his liking. A working semi/professional camera wont give you inaccurate colors.

Excerpt from the article:
"How to use custom profiles
Working as a travel photographer, I tend to make a custom profile for each location area. So if I am shooting in the Himalayan region of Ladakh in India, I'll create a profile, and if on the same trip I were to head to a completely different area, such as the lush state of Kerala in the South of India, then I would repeat the process."

if all he was doing was trying to achieve perfect colors he wouldn't need a different custom profile per location. In essence you dont need to calibrate a camera to see red differently in your bathroom vs your kitchen.

Also those color profiles only apply to JPEG outputs, if you are shooting RAW it doesnt matter really what profile is on your camera as long as your display is calibrated.

·
Registered
969 Posts
JVC RS2000/NX7/N7

Here we go! :)

UNBOXING:

So the serial number 064400XX is a Jan Manufacture date. Mine shipped today and has the same 064400XX

Reactions: Drem and ARROW-AV

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,732
haha I wish it was true though. He is not calibrating the camera , but the output he is calibrating the output and creating a custom color profile to his liking. A working semi/professional camera wont give you inaccurate colors.

Excerpt from the article:
"How to use custom profiles
Working as a travel photographer, I tend to make a custom profile for each location area. So if I am shooting in the Himalayan region of Ladakh in India, I'll create a profile, and if on the same trip I were to head to a completely different area, such as the lush state of Kerala in the South of India, then I would repeat the process."

if all he was doing was trying to achieve perfect colors he wouldn't need a different custom profile per location. In essence you dont need to calibrate a camera to see red differently in your bathroom vs your kitchen.

Also those color profiles only apply to JPEG outputs, if you are shooting RAW it doesnt matter really what profile is on your camera as long as your display is calibrated.
Well that kinda is calibrating... in the same way as creating a custom color profile for a projector would be part of the calibration process :)

But yes this is irrelevant if you shoot and export as RAW ;)

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,733
So the serial number 064400XX is a Jan Manufacture date. Mine shipped today and has the same 064400XX
Yes and given my JVC RS3000/NX9 is an early October 2018 build bordering on pre-production unit it will be interesting to see what are the comparative performances :)

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
markmon1

I played the video on my pc full screen, pressed alt+print screen, pasted the clipboard into photoshop and saved as .jpg.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
Yes and given my JVC RS3000/NX9 is an early October 2018 build bordering on pre-production unit it will be interesting to see what are the comparative performances :)

My prediction is that the NX9 and N7 are extremely close in comparison and performance and one just expects a lot more out of an NX9 due to the price difference.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
I was wondering if any of the new JVC owners have a copy of the Imax Enhanced Beautiful Planet. The disk has lots of deep black sequences that might be nice to compare on these new models. The images are reference quality in my opinion.
It is also one of the first disks with Imax enhance sound which Dennon & Marantz just issues firmware updates for a few of their receivers.

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Planet-UHD-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B07J35T8H2
I have this title and can provide some feedback once I get the RS2000 set up, hopefully over the weekend. It looked great on the RS600 in the velvet pit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
JVC RS2000/NX7/N7

Here we go! :)

Thanks for sharing the images. Can you please check if the grey color ring is a magnetic metal if possible?

I would like to build a custom magnetic lens cover for easy removal so I dont gather dust on the lens when its not in use.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
I have this title and can provide some feedback once I get the RS2000 set up, hopefully over the weekend. It looked great on the RS600 in the velvet pit.
Friday should be an exciting day for you. :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Interestingly, the build date doesn't appear in that form anywhere on the JVC carton for my DLA-NX7BK (US).

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Thanks for sharing the images. Can you please check if the grey color ring is a magnetic metal if possible?

I would like to build a custom magnetic lens cover for easy removal so I dont gather dust on the lens when its not in use.

Thanks!!
Not magnetic.

4721 - 4740 of 29479 Posts