AVS Forum banner

8981 - 9000 of 29198 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
How is a stuck white pixel even possible? That would need all 3 panels to have stuck pixels in exactly the same place. Very unlikely. Sure it is white, and sure it is a stuck pixel?

Okay so maybe it’s not perfect white. More of bluish grey. But lot more white than blue.

I don’t know how this is possible - but it is stuck for sure - and it is not one of the primary color (RGB)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
If you look back, the first firmware update sent out when the projectors first came out was followed up with 3 more numbers that accounted for manufacturing and language issues, nothing that changed any features or fixed anything. (sorry, I don't recall the exact firmware versions, and this thread is too damn long to go back and look).

So 2.01 comes out, then suddenly people are getting 2.04, it is likely the same thing, language and/or program changes to aid in manufacturing. Just a derivative of 2.01 with stuff that doesn't affect functionality or fix issues.

I can't believe that if they had a fix for the gamma issue they would hold it back from public release, only put it in new units, and then tell dealers it doesn't do anything..

This is my understanding as well. When the new models first came out, firmware numbers were different for several of them due to languages.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Any suggestions for a 30 ft HDMI cable? What is everyone using?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
aka jfinnie
4,214 Posts
Okay so maybe it’s not perfect white. More of bluish grey. But lot more white than blue.

I don’t know how this is possible - but it is stuck for sure - and it is not one of the primary color (RGB)
What colour background are you looking at it on? You need to be on black. Is it visible still after pressing HIDE on the remote?
It doesn't sound like a pixel. I'd guess it is something somewhere else if it is whiteish when everything around it is black.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I bought the UB9000 over the UB820 in large part because of the extra profile and if the UB820 had that profile I would have been more likely to have spent $500 less with Panasonic.

It's hard to know from the outside how that calculus plays out but I'm sure they've got smart people at Panasonic whose job it is to figure that out. Price

The analog output section of the 9000 is where the cost is and this section is useless for me. My prepro runs circles around most from an audio quality perspective and I certainly don't have any desire for audio gear from Panny.

I'm not sure if anyone knows if the UB9000 has other advantages which allow it to store an additional profile, etc. Hopefully, Panny will sort out this situation such that the UB9000 and UB820 have all the same capabilities aside from the analog section.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The analog output section of the 9000 is where the cost is and this section is useless for me. My prepro runs circles around most from an audio quality perspective and I certainly don't have any desire for audio gear from Panny.

I'm not sure if anyone knows if the UB9000 has other advantages which allow it to store an additional profile, etc. Hopefully, Panny will sort out this situation such that the UB9000 and UB820 have all the same capabilities aside from the analog section.
Hopefully, yes. But I needed to choose one right now and I'm willing to pay a premium for the "sure thing" and confidence that as the newer flagship model it's going to likely get more of Panasonic's attention going forward and is less likely to be hampered by the constraints of an older design.

ETA: I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy a UB9000; just addressing the question of why the economics of offering new features in a less expensive model are not cut and dried.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If you look back, the first firmware update sent out when the projectors first came out was followed up with 3 more numbers that accounted for manufacturing and language issues, nothing that changed any features or fixed anything. (sorry, I don't recall the exact firmware versions, and this thread is too damn long to go back and look).

So 2.01 comes out, then suddenly people are getting 2.04, it is likely the same thing, language and/or program changes to aid in manufacturing. Just a derivative of 2.01 with stuff that doesn't affect functionality or fix issues.

I can't believe that if they had a fix for the gamma issue they would hold it back from public release, only put it in new units, and then tell dealers it doesn't do anything..

I agreed with your reasoning but oddly enough, i recalled reading some members with 2.04 proclaimed so “confidently” that it resolves the DI issues that causes the “yellowing”. Is it a placebo effect or is there any trace of evidence or proof that the 2.04 (factory firmware) actually resolve the DI issue?

For now, I’m going to take Mike’s word for it since he have spoken with the JVC chaps and the latter informed merely minor fixes (whatever that means).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi

this pics are from a JVC N5 ( RS1000)

is it a issue or is it normal ?

Arrow saw the same issue very prominently on his first NX9. The issue is resolved on a later NX9 that he temporarily got his hands on and tested. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3049760-2019-model-sony-vs-jvc-projectors-comparison-thread-20.html#post57821190

I certainly won't be happy if I encounter it on my NX7 when it arrives. It's my understanding that it is a defect, although that was hotly debated when Arrow encountered the problem originally. Several people said it was common. It could be a variance issue between each unit. Some units of the same model might have the problem while other units won't.

I recommend that you ask your dealer if it is something that JVC can help resolve, and decide if it is worth it for you to go through the replacement process.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

The 820, which I love for movies, sounds poor to me on it's analog stereo outs. My Oppo bdp83 sounds excellent, very close to my vinyl analog rig; I hope it never breaks down ( I have had the tray replaced).

I'd be very curious to hear how the 9000 sounds on it's analog stereo outs, but if its as thin sounding as the 820, it'd not do it for me with music.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just made some calls around Sydney and Absolute Hifi in Liverpool has the JVC N5 on display for demo. I will have to check it out over the weekend or next. She is going to call me back as to when the N7's will be in stock and they aren't going to be setting the N7 up for demo, but I figure the N5 will give me a good idea of what it will be like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Send me a link to those test patterns I will try it on mine, but when looking at white credits on an all black screen, there isn't that ghosting with the script.

i have take in this post

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3049760-2019-model-sony-vs-jvc-projectors-comparison-thread-23.html#post57832866

What size and gain is your screen?
What lamp and iris setting are you using?
the screen is an ALR 110" elitescreen Cineygrey 3D at 10 feet

the Iris is on -8

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,371 Posts
Question. On my NX7 I noticed that there is one persistent white pixel - I.e. it never changes to any other color - is this acceptable level of tolerance or should I try to get JVC to RMA it?

I know for LCD TVs a single pixel defect is not covered by warranty but what about PJs?
Where is that pixel? If it's smack in the middle and bugs you watching content, I would contact JVC but if it's off to the side and you really can't see it much I'd let it go. To be honest, one pixel is so small I don't think you could see it in normal viewing distance. Are you sure it's not a group of pixels instead?

Here. I made an image that's 3840x2160 and all black with 1 white pixel in the center. You cannot see this pixel from 7 feet back on my 135" screen. I zipped it also in case the site here scales the image.

Edit #2 , I made another image that's 1080p and tested this one and you can *barely* see the white pixel. So this would be equivalent of 4 stuck pixels.
You might want to test playing these images on your setup and see if your white dot matches the 1080p image or the 4k image or is something else entirely. Would be interesting.

Attachments

8981 - 9000 of 29198 Posts