AVS Forum banner

11461 - 11480 of 31915 Posts

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Perfect thank you. Do you know if it is centred for the projector? I have a mount right now that I don’t really trust because it is very hard to centre it to the projector so that it mounts straight. Right now it tilts down because the centre of gravity is off. Plus it just doesn’t seem strong enough.

Thanks for your help.

I’m using the RPA281 and it’s solid. Ceiling extensions center on the projector once installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
886 Posts
On 2.04 vertical line issue I was having a problem I could reproduce. This is what I found as far as settings with the CMD settings on that issue. I'm not sure this is a definitive guide to the vertical line issue. But it was something I could test. You will also find if you change some of these settings after the blue/green/white bar issue occurs that the color of the bars will change.
that's very interesting. i hope they get this figured out with a future firmware, but like you i also have a replacement coming just in case.

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of any of the following settings? Or better yet, any actual testing @Javs .

Pana 820 -> SDRBT2020, with SDR settings on NX7

Pana 820 -> HDRBT2020, with HDR(PQ) auto tone mapping on NX7

Pano 820 -> HDRBT2020, with gamma 2.2 and Pana_PQ_BL color profile NX7

They all look absolutely fantastic to me. Switching settings takes long enough that I can’t seem to pick up on any major differences. Love to hear any thoughts. Cheers!
Tally me up for option 2 as well. I tested it pretty hard and found it to be the best of the three.

I've been thinking of a bunch of different options. My current center is a custom JTR 210, so I'd either have to get Jeff to make me another one, or get something else... at this point with the money thats gonna be flying everywhere, the 4K CDN to build another center would suck... as would buying something new.
I'm willing to take a bit of a hit in brightness going with the AT but worry it will be too much of a hit and no stores locally have the JVC's up for Demos...

Have you tried Elunevision - their 1.0 gain for AT material is totally incorrect and they don’t give out samples. Their gain is closer to 0.8 - so make sure you are still able to do good HDR.

When I was buying my own AT screen - I was considering them but since they don’t give out samples to compare with V6 or Seymour I decided to not go for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed with the above Nate. Of the close to 30 samples I have of different materials, the elunevision was absolutely the furthest from accurate (yes I actually got a sample somehow). Stewart was too steep a price for me too so I rolled with the severtson 1.3 microperf. I have been extremely happy with it and it was darn near close to the stewart st130. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it. The stewart Cima Neve Perforado was also excellent. None of the weaves get quite to unity gain..you have to go MP to get there or above FWIW.

Also, I have the NX7 now at 1.6x throw to a 135" diag. scope screen and the image is fantastic. Go with a 1.3 gain material and you'll have plenty of light for HDR even.

Then I guess your screen is not AT, how far do you sit from the 135"? about 10ft/3m? If you are sitting closer than that and you have the center channel under the screen then the screen must be like 60cm/2ft from the floor so you need to look way up to the top of the screen, seems to me a weird angle. I can't find a pic of your setup but should be something like this without AT screen.
Maybe in reality it's not bad but the closer you sit the AT screen is more likely needed to keep the middle of the screen as close to your eye level as possible to avoid this looking up situation.

Any owner here with AT screen who's sitting relatively close?
Considering the above information and that I am sitting ~12ft. and I am extremely happy with the results. With a good Microperf material you can't see the holes at all. With these woven variants, they perform even better. Even with your nose against the screen with the v6 you can see any holes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tally me up for option 2 as well. I tested it pretty hard and found it to be the best of the three.

Agreed with the above Nate. Of the close to 30 samples I have of different materials, the elunevision was absolutely the furthest from accurate (yes I actually got a sample somehow). Stewart was too steep a price for me too so I rolled with the severtson 1.3 microperf. I have been extremely happy with it and it was darn near close to the stewart st130. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it. The stewart Cima Neve Perforado was also excellent. None of the weaves get quite to unity gain..you have to go MP to get there or above FWIW.

Also, I have the NX7 now at 1.6x throw to a 135" diag. scope screen and the image is fantastic. Go with a 1.3 gain material and you'll have plenty of light for HDR even.

Considering the above information and that I am sitting ~12ft. and I am extremely happy with the results. With a good Microperf material you can't see the holes at all. With these woven variants, they perform even better. Even with your nose against the screen with the v6 you can see any holes.
Does one of those samples happen to include the XYScreen material claimed to have a 1.8 gain?

·
Premium Member
14,819 Posts
Does one of those samples happen to include the XYScreen material claimed to have a 1.8 gain?
No but you have my attention with a 1.8 gain if there is no shimmer. Anything I tested above 1.3 started to have the sparkles and I can't handle that. I will see what I can get crom XYXcreens.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Also, if you're going to go with woven I would suggest at least taking a look at a DIY spandex option touted by MississippiMan. As stated above you won't get unity with a woven, and the spandex will get you around .8 as well at a much lower price point.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
No but you have my attention with a 1.8 gain if there is no shimmer. Anything I tested above 1.3 started to have the sparkles and I can't handle that. I will see what I can get crom XYXcreens.
Did you ever test out Severtson 2.2 or 1.8 ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts

Hi beastaudio...how close are your speakers mounted behind the Severtson 1.3 microperf? About 12" or can you mounted them within a couple of inches of the screen?

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you tried Elunevision - their 1.0 gain for AT material is totally incorrect and they don’t give out samples. Their gain is closer to 0.8 - so make sure you are still able to do good HDR.

When I was buying my own AT screen - I was considering them but since they don’t give out samples to compare with V6 or Seymour I decided to not go for them

Hi tommarra...what were the major factors for why you chose the Soundmax screen over the V6 or one of Seymours? Screen gain? dollars?

Thanks.
Ralph

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi tommarra...what were the major factors for why you chose the Soundmax screen over the V6 or one of Seymours? Screen gain? dollars?

Thanks.

Ralph

Primarily the higher gain and the super low price. My 130 inch 16:9 screen was less than $800 shipped. I figured even
if I didn't like the screen I could just upgrade without too much pain at a later date.

But when I got the screen the image quality is amazing (coming from Elitescreens Cinegrey 5D - the worst material ever made IMO)

There is a thread on AVS wherein the OP compares XY Soundmax to other AT screens. The designer of V6 also pitched in and ran compares of the Soundmax material to V6 and even he found that Soundmax has ~20 percent higher gain than V6 which puts it near unity gain. (~0.95 gain)

To get 100 nits for a screen size above 120 inch 16:9 screen you just cant do it with V6. Only woven AT screen that can do this is XY Soundmax - I think!

Now in terms of audio Soundmax attenuates the high frequency the most (4-5 dB above 12KHZ vs 1-2 dB for V6) but that can be very easily fixed by simple EQ.

I think in terms of value you can't beat this screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi beastaudio...how close are your speakers mounted behind the Severtson 1.3 microperf? About 12" or can you mounted them within a couple of inches of the screen?

Thanks,
Ralph
I also have a Severtson Cinema White microperf in 2.35:1 135" for use with an NX7.

My first row is 9 feet away. I can see the holes and a little sparkles (only in the center) when the image is mostly white but when it's any other color they're invisible. Depending on your vision, I would think you would not see the holes at all 12'+ from the screen.

Also, my speakers are 6" from the back wall and 5" from the screen and they sound great.

All in all I'm happy with this screen.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Primarily the higher gain and the super low price. My 130 inch 16:9 screen was less than $800 shipped. I figured even if I didn't like the screen I could just upgrade without too much pain at a later date.

But when I got the screen the image quality is amazing (coming from Elitescreens Cinegrey 5D - the worst material ever made IMO)

There is a thread on AVS wherein the OP compares XY Soundmax to other AT screens. The designer of V6 also pitched in and ran compares of the Soundmax material to V6 and even he found that Soundmax has ~20 percent higher gain than V6 which puts it near unity gain. (~0.95 gain)

To get 100 nits for a screen size above 120 inch 16:9 screen you just cant do it with V6. Only woven AT screen that can do this is XY Soundmax - I think!

Now in terms of audio Soundmax attenuates the high frequency the most (4-5 dB above 12KHZ vs 1-2 dB for V6) but that can be very easily fixed by simple EQ.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also have a Severtson Cinema White microperf in 2.35:1 135" for use with an NX7.

My first row is 9 feet away. I can see the holes and a little sparkles (only in the center) when the image is mostly white but when it's any other color they're invisible. Depending on your vision, I would think you would not see the holes at all 12'+ from the screen.

Also, my speakers are 6" from the back wall and 5" from the screen and they sound great.

All in all I'm happy with this screen.
Hi Pooch15...thanks very much!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Which email address are you using for contacting JVC USA? I sent them a few questions about my DI issue, and asked them to confirm the information I got from JVC Europe about the issue being fixed in the next firmware. No reply so far, been two days.
I filled out the "contact us" form on the JVC professional products website and got a response from Chris Deutsch of JVC.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I filled out the "contact us" form on the JVC professional products website and got a response from Chris Deutsch of JVC.
Thanks for the info. Maybe they just ignore queries from european users. Nevermind, probably "Out of scope" close ticket :eek:

·
Registered
8,809 Posts

I really liked the Severtson 1.3 sample I have too and will almost definitely be going with it for my next build. 160" Diagonal 16:9.

Have you got any recent images of your screen in place?

Is the velvet on the frame good? Any pics on putting it together, the backside of the frame etc?

And how far back are your speakers from the fabric?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Primarily the higher gain and the super low price. My 130 inch 16:9 screen was less than $800 shipped. I figured even
if I didn't like the screen I could just upgrade without too much pain at a later date.

I have just placed an order for a 120" 16:9 masking screen from V6. In a batcave room, how many nits do you think one can possibly get when paired with the NX7 ? Temporarily, I'm using a solid Stewart Grayhawk and since there is no ambient light reflecting back, i'm guessing this may cause the image sometimes to look dark and I also wish the colours popped more, maybe the grayhawk is not 4K compatible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm European so not that many options here, basically Elite Screens, Screen Excellence and DreamScreen are the options here but I'm sure that one of them is good enough.

How does that hush box look like? How's the cooling? pic would help
The hush box is cooled by two external in-line duct fans that run whenever the projector is on. These fans are mounted up in the attic at the far end of about 20 ft. of insulated duct so as to minimize any fan noise that might reach the box. They draw cool air from my theater which keeps them within the temperature guidelines for the projector. There's also a wireless temperature sensor in the hush box next to the projector in take that I can check at any time. I've set warnings on the sensor that alert me on my phone should the temperature get to high. Temps in the summer can get hot here in the desert so on especially hot days I will turn on the fans prior to turning on the projector.

Working on posting a pic...

11461 - 11480 of 31915 Posts