AVS Forum banner

12521 - 12540 of 29479 Posts

·
Registered
28,793 Posts
Watched the RS1000 that I have in my room to demo. Image is really clean and sharp. Even streaming from Netflix looked nice and sharp on a 127" screen from 10.5'. I also have the UB9000 here to pair with it. If anybody wants to see this combo, let me know. Located in South Central Kentucky.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It happened again !!!

FW 2.04

It was always occurred when the NVDIA shield was the source.

However, that's my most used source so it could still be a matter of probability.

I had initially posed the blue bars when it first occurred. I followed the advice given by some members and was trouble free for a while but unfortunately I had the screen go green on me a few times.
I have attached the initial blue bars and the first time the green screen happened as I didn't take pic every time it occurred.

Once again, power cycling made the issue go away but now I am worried.

I have 100 hours on the projector and booked a calibration but now I have second thoughts.
I am very very happy with the picture and was really enjoying the projector and hope JVC has a fix.

I didn't worry too much about the blue bars when it first appeared as I was waiting for a FW fix and was happily enjoying my projector.

This is my first projector and I was waiting for JVC to fix the issue as I remember the experience I had with Sony when they took a long time to fix Dolby Vision on the Z9D.
Sony rewarded the wait, as even after 2 years, it's implementation of DV is one of the best today.

To be honest, if I known about this problem beforehand I would not have purchased a N7.

I changed my plan for my HT from a Z9F (or Z9G now :wink:) with a drop down screen + pixel shift projector to a N7 projector with a fixed screen when I pre-ordered the N7 last year.

I hope JVC will stand behind their product and find a solution as it's not exactly a cheap projector and when customers make a purchase decision like myself, it has implications beyond just the projector.
It was the combination of asolid reputation of good black levels, auto tone mapping and native 4k that made me switch to a native 4k JVC projector.

I informed my dealer about the problem as JVC Australia seems to be asleep.

I can't decide if I should get the projector calibrated in the coming weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Watched the RS1000 that I have in my room to demo. Image is really clean and sharp. Even streaming from Netflix looked nice and sharp on a 127" screen from 10.5'. I also have the UB9000 here to pair with it. If anybody wants to see this combo, let me know. Located in South Central Kentucky.
Big question Mike. How does the 1000 compare with its big brothers? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
903 Posts
It happened again !!!

FW 2.04

I informed my dealer about the problem as JVC Australia seems to be asleep.

I can't decide if I should get the projector calibrated in the coming weeks.

I think both your dealer and Jvc service will tell you to install 2.07 that will fix the issue. If after installing 2.07 the issue is still there (i doubt) you can ask Jvc to replace the unit.
Installing 2.07 will take 10 minutes, is a very simple operation.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The one thing I don't like about my X5000 is occasional light spill at the sides of my 2,35:1 screen when watching 16:9 content

Has this problem been solved by the new design of the N series?

X5000? Is there such a model? Are you referring to R3000 (NX9)? The light spill is unavoidable due to the 17:9 aspect ratio of the panel. I’ve learn to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think both your dealer and Jvc service will tell you to install 2.07 that will fix the issue. If after installing 2.07 the issue is still there (i doubt) you can ask Jvc to replace the unit.

Agreed. 2.07 should resolve this problem. Do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade if you really want to be certain (optional).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
PHP:
Mike, how far from Lexington? I’m visiting there this coming week (from Michigan).

·
Registered
947 Posts
2.07 did not fix it for me (early production RS3000). The replacement projector does not have the problem on either 2.06 or 2.07. (I have a clip that will cause the problem at will on the old projector, so I'm quite confident in my results.)

This is not too say that 2.07 might not fix the problem in other cases, just that you cannot make a blanket statement like this.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Is it a fix or just kicking the rock down the street a bit farther? It would be really nice if JVC would acknowledge what the firmware is designed to fix.
If you don’t know the fix say so and say it’s currently a work in progress. Quite a few I sense are worried it’s a hardware fix. Then deal with it and recall all the current units that need updating.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Is it a fix or just kicking the rock down the street a bit farther? It would be really nice if JVC would acknowledge what the firmware is designed to fix.

If you don’t know the fix say so and say it’s currently a work in progress. Quite a few I sense are worried it’s a hardware fix. Then deal with it and recall all the current units that need updating.
I would say it's not a fix....I got vertical line few nights ago( 2.07) but for some reason it was only few vertical lines & not like the normal vertical lines that fill the screen so I think JVC on the right path far as a fix.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Hey Mike, I've been trying to use various projector calculators to figure out projector distance for the room I'm building. They all say the max size at 10.5' is 101". I've been very confused by the calculators as they are all over the map. Do you know how I would figure out the throw distance required to get 140" from an RS2000?

·
Registered
33 Posts

Thanks.
I wanted to inform my dealer before performing the update as it's not officially on the JVC Australia website.

Just out of curiosity......
Is there any reason why we can't simply update it online using the Ethernet port like other devices?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I just received the June/July issue of "Sound & Vision". A lead article, written by Kris Deering, is a review of the RS3000/NX9 and contains a sidebar regarding the integration of the custom Panasonic/JVC curves and the UB820/9000. I was somewhat surprised to read that Kris favors "double tone mapping" (Panasonic Optimizer with JVC Auto Tone Mapping) via the BT2020 profile rather than the custom curves which were implemented in an earlier JVC PJ firmware update. This coincides with my own subjective comparison of the various combinations available with these 2 devices and is the treatment for UHD HDR source material (including Netflix HDR titles via the Panasonic's app) that I have chosen to apply.

The cherry on my personal sundae is that Yamaha, for the 1st time, is able to decode Netflix Dolby Atmos from Netflix DD+ source material via the UB820/9000 with the RX-A3080 (something that several generations of Denon/Marantz AVRs had already been capable of doing). Sweet...........
Whether you use the color profiles JVC developed with Panasonic or the way I talked about in the sidebar, you are doing double tone mapping. Personally I would recommend SDR2020 output from the Panny but that defeats the auto switch to the HDR picture mode unfortunately.

·
Registered
28,793 Posts
Big question Mike. How does the 1000 compare with its big brothers? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Have not received my 3000 yet. Don't know if I will have them here at the same time. I will say this. The 3000 reminded my of my RS4500 and the RS4500 is the best projector I have had in my room.

·
Registered
28,793 Posts
Hey Mike, I've been trying to use various projector calculators to figure out projector distance for the room I'm building. They all say the max size at 10.5' is 101". I've been very confused by the calculators as they are all over the map. Do you know how I would figure out the throw distance required to get 140" from an RS2000?
140" wide or 140" diagonal?
16:9, 2.35 or 2.40?

·
Registered
33 Posts
2.07 did not fix it for me (early production RS3000). The replacement projector does not have the problem on either 2.06 or 2.07. (I have a clip that will cause the problem at will on the old projector, so I'm quite confident in my results.)

This is not too say that 2.07 might not fix the problem in other cases, just that you cannot make a blanket statement like this.

Thanks.
Looks like I need to hold off the calibration just in case I need to have it replaced.
Such a shame.

I plan to update the FW once I get the go ahead from my dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
This is the kind of info I'm seeing and the numbers are sometimes way off what people are saying in threads. So this is one of the calculators with max zoom on the nx-5. It makes me think I'm using the tool wrong.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Not to scare anyone, but anytime I've seen vertical lines on other projectors and on video cards, issue has been GPU/VPU overheating which causes a misread on the memory bus, or there is a bad or misplaced resistor somewhere inside the projector. Not saying that is the issue, just that's what I've seen it be in the past. The reason it might be partly reproducible for some is if you are doing something that heavily taxes the projector's video processor.

12521 - 12540 of 29479 Posts