AVS Forum banner

13741 - 13760 of 29527 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ok guys I apologise for my frustrations, I am well within my Amazon return window and I just dropped at UPS and I will now look for an authorized dealer to repurchase.

This is really scary though, if I was on day 31 I would be eating a very expensive projector, luckily I didn't get screwed but seems like there is the potential for a lot of people to get screwed on a common issue based on not knowing any better.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
I have to say that it is too bad that the majority of posts and especially negative posts come from NON OWNERS.

I have noticed that a lot of owners that were very active in this thread in the beginning are no longer posting. I wouldn't be either if I wasn't trying to figure out the whole MadVR thing. My projector was in the early serial numbers and like Manni have not had any issues.

Reality is in the middle. There is definitely an issue! But it is not as prevalent as some on here would like you to worry about and get you all hot and bothered about. If you have the issue that sucks and it is a major problem. But that is not the majority of what is going on.

I believe even the randomness of the issue has JVC a little perplexed. Even if it is a hardware issue and they know what it is, having a US 3 year advance replacement plus the extended credit card warranty for me I have no worries at all. If I have the issue JVC will replace it with the part that fixed the problem. Wish that was true with my car, my washer, my boat my anything that costs as much as my projector. Never happen. At least JVC is standing behind it here but they better get their act together in other areas like Australia.

Honestly I am so glad I bought the JVC vs the Sony exactly because of this problem. If Sony was having these issues I wonder how fast and far they would go to fix it. I know JVC is working on it and many other things.
I'm not sure if this is directed towards me because I canceled my NX9 order for an RS4500. I was and am still extremely interested in this line of projectors. And I still recommend people buy these even with the issues, so long as they are aware of them because there's nothing else that comes close to them performance wise, in my opinion. My only beef is people trying to claim the vertical line freeze ups are uncommon, firmware fixed, and not a big deal which I feel is misleading to new and potential buyers. I don't even think the yellowing DI is a huge problem only the freeze ups.

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
So all of us who are using newer AVRS with certified optical HDIM cables and have add zero problems on our previous JVC HDR projectors. Buy a new NX series and have problems. So now we need newer cables again and now run directly to projector. Sorry does not add up to me.
Re - read what I wrote. You do that to make sure the problem is in the projector and not the rest of the HDMI chain / AVR etc. It's a testing procedure - not a permanent solution.

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
So JVC will not help me. Anyone that buys a new projector from Amazon has zero warranty and completely out of luck. I tried to explain ok I am going to exchange the projector but what happens when this happens again (very common issue per this post but supervisor denies entirely) and I am outside of my Amazon return window - they say too bad you will be stuck with a broken projector. What a complete and utter joke, and I say that knowing that I did this to myself....
Buy from an authorized dealer. Then you will have the dealer's support. For example - I have JVC on speed dial. I've had JVC help solve a projector problem at 10 F'n pm at night on a Friday night. Nobody else would ever do that. Certainly not Amazon.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just ordered from Chris @ Cleveland AV, thanks Chris super helpful, I even decided to get the NX7 instead of the NX5. I still don't agree with the treatment from JVC based on where I bought something and like I say scary to think where I would have been if this had not happened so quickly. Bottom line, this worked out ok for me but could have been a really bad situation....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I tried to watch the 4K Blu-ray of Captain Marvel last night on my NX5, using my Oppo 203 player (131" 1.2 Slate screen). It was unwatchable. It was so dark, that the entire first part of the film I could barely make out what was going on. I had to put in the regular blu-ray, which looked great, but is obviously not 4K or HDR. Does anyone have any suggestions to a custom settings that may make this disc and others like it watchable. I have just been using the out-of -box settings and have not done any custom settings yet. Seems to be hit and miss with 4K discs, some look amazing and other are unwatchable.
I had the same problem with my custom curve and oppo. I just fought through it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts
Yes, they are replacing projectors, for now, but that policy only lasts so long and then you are on your own. If these problems are inherent within the units and can not be fixed, and they show up over time after the warranty runs out, you're screwed.
Units have a 3 year warranty, so I am sure you would know if you have a lemon or not by then. Not to mention if you use a credit card that has the benefit of a free 1 year or 2 year warranty when you use you card, you get that to.

Also they say there are no online sales allowed period, so apparently no one here had theirs shipped huh??
A phone can be used to place orders, that is allowed ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Change the HDR settings on the Oppo to SDR 709 Mode 2 100 nits.
I'm curious what would cause something like what he described above. Is that just an error how they transferred the movie? Or is that a problem on the oppo or the projector. I'm on an rs640 so maybe not the right forum for this question but still curious

·
Registered
28,810 Posts
I'm not sure if this is directed towards me because I canceled my NX9 order for an RS4500. I was and am still extremely interested in this line of projectors. And I still recommend people buy these even with the issues, so long as they are aware of them because there's nothing else that comes close to them performance wise, in my opinion. My only beef is people trying to claim the vertical line freeze ups are uncommon, firmware fixed, and not a big deal which I feel is misleading to new and potential buyers. I don't even think the yellowing DI is a huge problem only the freeze ups.
Yes, it is a problem and JVC does need to resolve, but i guess it depends on what you call common. JVC told me 1%. As far as our customers go, we are at 2%.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm curious what would cause something like what he described above. Is that just an error how they transferred the movie? Or is that a problem on the oppo or the projector. V

I feel bad even answering this because I just learned it all myself so please anyone chime in and correct me.

It has to do with the tone mapping of the HDR, the projector is not as bright as a TV so you get the resulting dark picture. Those are the settings I used with the Oppo to make it very watchable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry I read it to fast.
I have to add again. There are many posters that blame the buyer for old or broken items in the chain. I specially mentioned Older model JVC with HDR newer AVR and cables. We should be able to install the NSXseries and not have issues. I have two failures in less than 40 hours. Of course they will be some. My second failure is in JVC hands right now. Besides all of this I love JVC projectors.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I tried to watch the 4K Blu-ray of Captain Marvel last night on my NX5, using my Oppo 203 player (131" 1.2 Slate screen). It was unwatchable. It was so dark, that the entire first part of the film I could barely make out what was going on. I had to put in the regular blu-ray, which looked great, but is obviously not 4K or HDR. Does anyone have any suggestions to a custom settings that may make this disc and others like it watchable. I have just been using the out-of -box settings and have not done any custom settings yet. Seems to be hit and miss with 4K discs, some look amazing and other are unwatchable.
Disney films contain no metadata for the projector to tonemap to. Those are most likely your "misses". I would select HDR PQ for the gamma and then adjust the overall mapping or tone controls to get the picture where you want it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Disney films contain no metadata for the projector to tonemap to. Those are most likely your "misses". I would select HDR PQ for the gamma and then adjust the overall mapping or tone controls to get the picture where you want it.
And why dont they included is that on purpose? Remember I'm on a rs640 and oppo with javs curve dont know if this is why I'm being limited..

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
And why dont they included is that on purpose? Remember I'm on a rs640 and oppo with javs curve dont know if this is why I'm being limited..

All I can guess is laziness, since the other major studios manage just fine.

My RS520 with custom curves had problems with Disney titles and I eventually went with a UB820 to solve them. With the output set to SDR2020, luminance set to projector and finally after playing with the HDR optimizer Disney titles came alive.

With the NX7 I have the UB820 set to brightness -1 in the HDR optimizer and output set to HDR 2020 with luminance set to projector. On the projector side I have mapping at +3 under the HDR PQ settings. This combination is excellent for non Disney titles. For Disney titles I generally have the Optimizer at +3-5 and the brightness at -3 on the Panasonic with no changes on the projector.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What's your screen size and aspect? Nits is a measurement of light coming off the screen. Lumens is a measure of light from the light source. Give the dimensions we can help you calculate your nits based on spec.
I don't have a screen yet but I'm looking at a Seymour 110" wide/120" diagonal, 2.35, with Center Stage XD (AT) screen material.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I don't have a screen yet but I'm looking at a Seymour 110" wide/120" diagonal, 2.35, with Center Stage XD (AT) screen material.
You shouldn't have any problems with a scope screen that size. You'll also be able to use the full 17:9 panel on aspect ratios wider than 1.85:1 for more light.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Thread size of feet for mount on N7

hi folks...my Peerless prgnunv mount seems to fit the N7 when using the Spyder legs of the mount but the feet thread size of the JVC where the Peerless Spyder legs attach to the N7 are different then on the RS600...Can someone tell me the right size thread and length I will need? It’s the same size thread as the feet...thanks folks

13741 - 13760 of 29527 Posts