AVS Forum banner

14941 - 14960 of 29339 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Are you zooming the picture in/out to compensate for the width change? The bump isn't huge (probably closer to what Kris mentions) but lighting up more of the panel will give you more light.

Yes, I am using the zoom method to fill my 2.35 screen

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yes, I am using the zoom method to fill my 2.35 screen
I meant changing the width when you engage zoom as the picture will be wider than auto. Zooming it in for the wider width will concentrate the light and thus look brighter. Sorry I didn't word that well.

Could be that I've had the same 130" 2.35:1 screen and have been zooming to fill it for so many years I'm just more sensitive to the bump. Like Mike says it's not a huge a bump.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I meant changing the width when you engage zoom as the picture will be wider than auto. Zooming it in for the wider width will concentrate the light and thus look brighter. Sorry I didn't word that well.

Could be that I've had the same 130" 2.35:1 screen and have been zooming to fill it for so many years I'm just more sensitive to the bump. Like Mike says it's not a huge a bump.

Yes, I'm switching ASPECT between Auto and ZOOM but cant say I noticed any light difference...Wider yes, but didn't notice any change in brightness...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yes, I'm switching ASPECT between Auto and ZOOM but cant say I noticed any light difference...Wider yes, but didn't notice any change in brightness...
Yes but when you change to zoom are you going into the lens setup and changing the zoom/focus to compensate for the wider image? Shrinking the overall image to fit the now wider picture into the existing width should have a discernible bump.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
The brightness does not change when you change the aspect ratio. The (small) gain happens when you zoom in to fit the new width on the screen.

EDIT: just noticed someone else beat me to the answer.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Because that's not how it works.

Changing Native to Zoom aspect does not change the brightness as in it does not change the fL or nits that you see.

What it does change is the math that you use to calculate total lumens. The area of the screen filled goes up by 6.67% when you activate Zoom mode, so the lumens goes up also by 6.67%.

The reason that it can give a brighter image is because you have to assume that you would have otherwise zoomed your 16:9 Native mode to fill that same screen size (width). Zooming the 16:9 larger like that makes it dimmer (stretching the same light across a larger area). but zooming by using the extra panel area allows the image to get larger without dimming the picture (because you are just uncovering some of the existing light). This technically means it's brighter.

Or you can look at it the opposite direction. Assume that you are already filling your 16:9 screen. Then activate Zoom mode. Now you need to zoom the lens down smaller, which concentrates the additional light into a smaller area making it brighter. You will also leave black bars on the top and bottom, but if the movie is wider than 1.78:1 then there were already black bars there to begin with.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Best woven AT screen I have owned and I have owned/seen most of them. Very smooth, gain is decent for a woven AT screen, sharpness is good and no sparkle or shimmer.
I could get the fabric as a 2 x 3 m (78" x 118") fabric only that would suit my current DIY motorized screen including the tension tabs, but it costs 1149 €uros ( ~ $1025) including shipping from Norway, a bit expensive just now, reason why I seek opinions.
And by the way is it actually suited as a tensioned motorized fabric, have not seen any mention of it on their web site.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Considering the NX-5 and just wondering about any known issues/limitations. I do like the idea of a native 4K projector compared to Pixel shifters but a little apprehensive because this model is the entry level one. Planning to use a 135" 16:9 screen in a light controlled environment (darkish walls but not velvet at this point) sitting about 11-12 ft away. Would like to be able to have a little bit of light in the room when watching sports and do like a fairly bright picture if possible but hoping I wouldn't have to be running in high lamp mode all the time. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,769 Posts
I could get the fabric as a 2 x 3 m (78" x 118") fabric only that would suit my current DIY motorized screen including the tension tabs, but it costs 1149 €uros ( ~ $1025) including shipping from Norway, a bit expensive just now, reason why I seek opinions.
And by the way is it actually suited as a tensioned motorized fabric, have not seen any mention of it on their web site.
DreamScreen, just has not designed an electric screen, but no reason you could not do so with this fabric.

·
Registered
28,769 Posts
Considering the NX-5 and just wondering about any known issues/limitations. I do like the idea of a native 4K projector compared to Pixel shifters but a little apprehensive because this model is the entry level one. Planning to use a 135" 16:9 screen in a light controlled environment (darkish walls but not velvet at this point) sitting about 11-12 ft away. Would like to be able to have a little bit of light in the room when watching sports and do like a fairly bright picture if possible but hoping I wouldn't have to be running in high lamp mode all the time. Thanks!

I assume you are talking solid, not AT screen? If so, I would recommend 1.3 gain, then you would have good brightness.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Yes but when you change to zoom are you going into the lens setup and changing the zoom/focus to compensate for the wider image? Shrinking the overall image to fit the now wider picture into the existing width should have a discernible bump.

Ahhhhhh, got it!!! I'll need to try that!!!! Thanks to everyone above also who tried to straighten me out...I get it now...:cool:

Reactions: Charlie_L

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
With the gear adjustment version, I'm having no issues. It hasn't moved since I re-hung my RS3000+DCR back in May, including across that small earthquake we had in early July.
I believe I have the gear adjustment version. It tilted down while I was messing with the DCR. Maybe I just need to get the screws tighter :)

·
Vendor
26,626 Posts
I moved my NX7 off the shelf mount and up to the ceiling mount this weekend. I guess that means it's a keeper. :)
As of today, for the same pricing, I do not think you would find something better......

I believe I have the gear adjustment version. It tilted down while I was messing with the DCR. Maybe I just need to get the screws tighter :)
That is probably the case then, or that screw could be stripped.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I came from a 3-1/2 year old RS400 (has eshift) on a 137 in 16:9 screen. Received my NX5 about 2 months ago and I am blown away by the difference. My friends and family agree.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I came from a 3-1/2 year old RS400 (has eshift) on a 137 in 16:9 screen. Received my NX5 about 2 months ago and I am blown away by the difference. My friends and family agree.
Mostly in regards to sharpness? My understanding is that as far as light output and contrast your old projector and the NX-5 should be comparable?

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
Mostly in regards to sharpness? My understanding is that as far as light output and contrast your old projector and the NX-5 should be comparable?

Sharpness, processing, HDR - the RS1000 JVC brought over to demo in my theater looked sharper and cleaner picture wise than my previous RS600. It looked similar in many ways to my RS4500. But not that close - I'll be keeping my RS4500 thank you ! ;)

14941 - 14960 of 29339 Posts