AVS Forum banner

16561 - 16580 of 29479 Posts

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Only 1 corner being off can be fixed also. This indicates that the projector needs to be rotated. Once rotated, the image will then be a trapezoid in which case you can point to the smaller end and shift back into position.
Yep. :)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Only 1 corner being off can be fixed also. This indicates that the projector needs to be rotated. Once rotated, the image will then be a trapezoid in which case you can point to the smaller end and shift back into position.
Rotated? I think it would be helpful for people if we used the "rotation" needed. Yaw? Pitch? Roll? Those are all rotations.

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Rotated? I think it would be helpful for people if we used the "rotation" needed. Yaw? Pitch? Roll? Those are all rotations.
For example. If the lower right corner of the image drops below the screen, you need to raise the right corner of the image, so raise the projector on that side. Of course, first I would reduce the size of the image, so that you can see the relationship of the image to the screen. Next you would rotate the projector toward the left side of the screen (small side), until the top and bottom line are parallel with the screen frame. Then lens shift the image back to the right, so that it is centered on the screen. Then adjust image size and lens shift to fit the image to the screen frame.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It looks to be more a case where inexperience led to a misunderstanding of exactly what was being related and why.

Mike, you said that the PJ casing would have to be tilted forward or back (slightly) to get the Lens level if the two aspects were not exactly in line. That would seem to be what the poster said JVC related....although 30 degrees is incredibly excessive, and does point to misinformation....by someone.
Actually I said 10 degrees, go read my post. No misinformation, just a defective projector.

This discussion does demonstrate why so many people never want to say anything on these groups.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It looks to be more a case where inexperience led to a misunderstanding of exactly what was being related and why.

Mike, you said that the PJ casing would have to be tilted forward or back (slightly) to get the Lens level if the two aspects were not exactly in line. That would seem to be what the poster said JVC related....although 30 degrees is incredibly excessive, and does point to misinformation....by someone.
Actually I said 10 degrees, go read my post. No misinformation, just a defective projector.

This discussion does demonstrate why so many people never want to say anything on these groups.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

I can only speak for myself, but I definitely could not have enjoyed this hobby nearly as much without the experts on these boards...I am sincerely grateful for the support folks have given me day in/day out...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I definitely could not have enjoyed this hobby nearly as much without the experts on these boards...I am sincerely grateful for the support folks have given me day in/day out...
Absolutely! I've been reading these boards since I got my first project or in 2005 and they are invaluable. But the immediate conclusion that someone "does not know what they are doing", whether that be me or the JVC rep or the dealer, makes for an unpleasant interaction that I have no desire to ever repeat. :)

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
But the immediate conclusion that someone "does not know what they are doing", whether that be me or the JVC rep or the dealer, makes for an unpleasant interaction that I have no desire to ever repeat. :)
It did not start off that way. People will help those who want to be helped:

If the bottom of the image is wider than the top, it’s definitely an alignment (installation) issue, not an issue with the projector.
I will be sure to tell JVC that. :)

·
Registered
14,463 Posts
Not to mention, the experts do a great job of disproving the false 'information' that all too often gets posted in threads.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Overall, the JVC at its best is slightly better than the Sony at its best in my opinion. To me, its mostly due to a better lens and a little due to the improved contrast. They are much closer in overall picture quality than they are apart.
I also owned the Sony 695ES and now JVC RS1000 and I thought they were overall very similar projectors, including the lens sharpness. The main reason that I decided to keep the JVC over Sony was because it was brighter in the low lamp mode.

How do you find the fan noise in both low and high lamp modes of the NX7/RS2000 vs the Sony 695ES? Have you watched any space scene material or starfield to see if the bright corners show up in that content? Interesting the difference is small between the two. Glad to see you don't notice any deficiencies in motion or up-scaling coming from the Sony.
I thought the Sony was a little louder in low lamp mode but JVC is a bit louder in the high lamp mode. Personally I wouldn’t use the JVC in the high lamp mode unless placed in a separate room or a hush box. I didn’t experience any bright corners with either projector.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Is there any reason you would want to use anything other than 6500K for colour temperature, the standard profiles (BT.709/BT.2020) and gamma (2.4/PQ)?
That's great - that's what I was after. But what about if I wanted to use the colour filter? Or is it not worth it?

Question though: I do have two zoom positions (and soon to be two anamorphic positions for my DCR lens that's incoming), so I find the colour temp varies with those two DI/zoom positions - so using a second colour temp is ideal - any suggestions other than 6500K?

·
Registered
56 Posts
......Think of the front of the projector lens as a plane and think of the screen as being a plane. The two planes have to be parallel to each other, vertically and horizontally......
Mike this makes complete sense. I am planning to build a shelf/hush box on the ceiling at the rear of the room and placing the projector on it. Do the feet give enough adjustment to do the necessary mechanical setup on a horizontal platform or do I need to angle the platform? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Is there any reason you would want to use anything other than 6500K for colour temperature, the standard profiles (BT.709/BT.2020) and gamma (2.4/PQ)?
Once you experiment with white balance calibrations above 6500k, up to maybe 10k, you can find merit in an unorthodox approach of running at alternative white balance color temps. I had Chad give me an 8000k alternative, and I use it a lot.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
That's great - that's what I was after. But what about if I wanted to use the colour filter? Or is it not worth it?
You can create or download the BT.709F (or Rec709F) colour profile, if you prefer the colour filter for BT.790, for whatever reason.

Question though: I do have two zoom positions (and soon to be two anamorphic positions for my DCR lens that's incoming), so I find the colour temp varies with those two DI/zoom positions - so using a second colour temp is ideal - any suggestions other than 6500K?
Yes, there will be colour variations with different iris (manual iris, not dynamic iris) settings, and maybe zoom positions. You can set up different user colour temperatures, both based on 6500K, but calibrated individually with their respective settings.

What I mean in my previous reply is that you need calibration to deal with this kind of variations; using other people's settings won't help.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Anyone run NX9 in high lamp mode ? How loud is it ? I tried to find reviews with objective measurements (dB at 1m) but could not.

Just wondering if I need a hush box ? If anyone is using one for these series projectors, please post a picture or design schematics !

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Anyone run NX9 in high lamp mode ? How loud is it ? I tried to find reviews with objective measurements (dB at 1m) but could not.

Just wondering if I need a hush box ? If anyone is using one for these series projectors, please post a picture or design schematics !
For me, it's too loud on high so it is going into a hushbox.

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Mike this makes complete sense. I am planning to build a shelf/hush box on the ceiling at the rear of the room and placing the projector on it. Do the feet give enough adjustment to do the necessary mechanical setup on a horizontal platform or do I need to angle the platform? Thanks.
Legs have plenty of adjustment sitting on a level shelf. This assumes the screen is reasonable level horizontally and vertically.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts

Here's some earlier measurements:

Curious,

As more NX9 units appear , so does the comment that High Lamp is "loud" ...i didnt find that with my unit?? :confused:

Below are some db readings i did in relation to the Z1......what are others measuring for High Lamp on their NX9 ?

Ambient db "A" weighted in my room ....... 32db

Z1 Low Laser 34db Med Laser 37.5 High Laser 42db

NX9 Low Lamp 33db High Lamp 36.5db
My measurements with respect to my first JVC RS3000/NX9 unit:

Room / Environment Temperature = 21°C / 70° F

1 METRE / 3' 3":

LOW LAMP = 35.6 dBA

HIGH LAMP = 40.8 dBA

2 METRES / 6' 7":

LOW LAMP = 34.5 dBA

HIGH LAMP = 38.6 dBA

:wink:
The calibration file from Cross Spectrum Labs for my UMIK didn't have sensitivity data, but I downloaded the one from MiniDSP and that does. My room is at 68F, and placing the mic at the MLP which is ~ 53" or 1.3m from the lens:

Ambient: 34.2 dBA
Low lamp: 34.8 dBA
High lamp 38.0 dBA

High sounds a lot louder than low though.

Edit: RS600 measures identically for both low and high.

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Once you experiment with white balance calibrations above 6500k, up to maybe 10k, you can find merit in an unorthodox approach of running at alternative white balance color temps. I had Chad give me an 8000k alternative, and I use it a lot.
I don't think I would call that calibrated. I am not saying anything is wrong with running a higher temperature, if you want, I just would not call it calibrated.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I don't think I would call that calibrated. I am not saying anything is wrong with running a higher temperature, if you want, I just would not call it calibrated.
Calibrated to a 6500k? No

But you can calibrate such that an elevated white balance color temp, tracks well thru the grayscale spectrum, such that the color of gray is uniform.

16561 - 16580 of 29479 Posts