AVS Forum banner

17041 - 17060 of 29231 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
It depends on your settings in the Apple TV.

If you have it set to SDR with match range on, then it outputs SDR BT.709 for SDR content and it outputs HDR 10 BT 2020 for HDR content. If you have match range turned off, it outputs whatever you have it set at regardless of the content which can give you odd results when you have SDR BT 709 content input being forced to HDR 2020 output.
When I make those settings, and then put on Netflix and select a title in Ultra HD 4K, HDR10 factory setting with HDR(PQ) looks not right. Do I use SDR 709 mode where I've clamped down the iris or do I use SDR BT2020 mode where I have iris @ 0?

What should I set the HDMI output to if I am using 16-235 on the JVC. RGB High or Low or YCbCr?

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Strange.

Whenever I have played SDR content and forced to HDR with the Apple TV 4k all of my colors are distorted blown out and definitely look odd. I would never recommend anyone to force HDR full time as a preferred setting.

The best setting is SDR 60 hz with match range and match frame rate set to on. That way it properly outputs SDR content as SDR and HDR as HDR. Then the JVC automatically selects either your SDR picture mode or your HDR picture mode depending on your preferred settings.
It's best to compare some actual screen shots, taken from the Supergirl (2017 TV Show, SDR) on Netflix. SDR.jpg was with ATV in the matching SDR mode, HDR.jpg with ATV in HDR mode. You can decide for yourself if the "SDR in HDR container" looks distorted or odd.

Note that these were displayed on my DLA-X550R, so no Automatic Tone Mapping which may skew the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
It's best to compare some actual screen shots, taken from the Supergirl (2017 TV Show, SDR) on Netflix. SDR.jpg was with ATV in the matching SDR mode, HDR.jpg with ATV in HDR mode. You can decide for yourself if the "SDR in HDR container" looks distorted or odd.

Note that these were displayed on my DLA-X550R, so no Automatic Tone Mapping which may skew the results.
I'll have to try Supergirl as I have never watched it. In the few titles where I made the mistake of forcing HDR output of SDR content it looked obviously wrong. Perhaps it was just a few titles that were off. However, I see no reason to force SDR content to HDR as it serves no purpose for me. I have my SDR on low lamp and - 7 iris setting with THX picture mode. My HDR is using HDR (BT2020) on high lamp. So if the content is SDR, I want my JVC projector to go into SDR mode not HDR mode.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
When I make those settings, and then put on Netflix and select a title in Ultra HD 4K, HDR10 factory setting with HDR(PQ) looks not right. Do I use SDR 709 mode where I've clamped down the iris or do I use SDR BT2020 mode where I have iris @ 0?

What should I set the HDMI output to if I am using 16-235 on the JVC. RGB High or Low or YCbCr?
I'm not sure why it doesn't look right. If the original content is UltraHD 4k HDR10 then HDR mode with HDR(PQ) should be fine, it should also look fine with HDR mode BT2020 the only difference is the first mode is not using the color filter. Some Netflix titles are UltraHD 4K but not HDR10. Perhaps that is your issue, in that case you should be using SDR mode not HDR.

My AppleTV is set to YCbCr 4:4:4.

·
aka jfinnie
4,216 Posts
It is its own picture mode completely independent of the HDR10 picture mode. I would suggest whatever color temperature settings you have for HDR10, just copy them over (or use the same color temp selection) and general settings should be the same. There is no gamma/color profile's to chose from though.
How does that work then - which color profile does it use?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It is its own picture mode completely independent of the HDR10 picture mode. I would suggest whatever color temperature settings you have for HDR10, just copy them over (or use the same color temp selection) and general settings should be the same. There is no gamma/color profiles to chose from though.
Kris, is there the opportunity to choose whether or not to engage the BT2020 filter with the new DTM picture mode?

Reactions: David Mathews

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kris, is there the opportunity to choose whether or not to engage the BT2020 filter with the new DTM picture mode?
In the video I linked above I saw an explicit option to choose filter (normal - wide). So I assume it is to engage the filter. For the first time explicitily and not hidden within profiles that you have to know in advance.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
My RS1000 just turned 100 hours, and, Chad B. arrived to calibrate it Tuesday Oct.1st. I couldn't be happier! He first squared it up to my 134" Carada BW screen perfectly. With my 17' throw I have plenty of light for HDR. SDR and HDR look wonderful! I thought it looked great out of the box, but the cal takes it to another level.
Thanks Chad B.
Tom:)
CHADB calibrated my JVC RS1000 on OCTOBER 3rd. I also have the Carada 134 BW. I am MORE than happy with the results. He also did my LG 65C9. I new he would improve JVC but did not think he could improve the LG has much as he did. Money VERY WELL SPENT
Always love seeing posts like these two!
I can't recommend Chad enough and the excellent job he does with both audio and video.
He has been calibrating all my audio/video systems since 2003.

My NX7 will be getting calibrated by him early next month.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Can vertical shift dodge an obstacle on the ceiling?

I'm rebuilding my basement theater. The attached photo shows that there's a support beam running across the ceiling 8' back, about halfway to the projector, which will be 15'9" away from the screen.

The support beam is about a foot tall.

I'll be using a small amount of horizontal shift because the projector will be mounted about foot or so to the left of the center of the image area, which will be 10'8" wide. (The room is 14' wide. The wall facing the screen goes halfway across the room and then zigs back several feet. The projector will be in that recess, with its front level with the shallower wall. It'll be a foot away from the end of that wall for ventilation, as JVC directs.)

My question is whether I have to mount the projector low enough that 16:9 images that go up to the ceiling will not be shadowed by the beam with no vertical shift, or whether I can use vertical shift to let me mount it higher, so it's quieter from where I sit about four feet in front of the projector, and so itsn't shadowed by my head in reaching down to about a foot from the floor. (In my old theater my 16:9 image went down to the baseboard.)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,459 Posts
Chad B also recently calibrated my theater. I was completely blown away by the picture after he was done. I thought it look good to begin with, but it was nowhere even close to what he did with it. I knew the picture would look great, but what I didn't count on was how much better he made the audio sound. I highly recommend him!
Chad has been calibrating my displays and projectors for about 15 years. Cannot recommend him enough.

·
Vendor
26,606 Posts
Not surprised at that price. It is still worth waiting tell the end of the month. Most buyers will probably not need the lamps for a while.
Yep, I use mine about 10 hours a week, so maybe 500 hours a year.

CHADB calibrated my JVC RS1000 on OCTOBER 3rd. I also have the Carada 134 BW. I am MORE than happy with the results. He also did my LG 65C9. I new he would improve JVC but did not think he could improve the LG has much as he did. Money VERY WELL SPENT
Chad B also recently calibrated my theater. I was completely blown away by the picture after he was done. I thought it look good to begin with, but it was nowhere even close to what he did with it. I knew the picture would look great, but what I didn't count on was how much better he made the audio sound. I highly recommend him!
Yes, the audio is an amazing deal. I can see his video skills, but man, his audio skills are amazing.

Hi. Can anyone recommend a calibrator in the Portland (Oregon) area, for an NX5? Thanks!
Chad B : [email protected]
D-Nice : [email protected]
Gregg Loewen : [email protected]

If all else fails master list :

<<< Click Here >>>

<<< Click Here >>>

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
I'm not sure why it doesn't look right. If the original content is UltraHD 4k HDR10 then HDR mode with HDR(PQ) should be fine, it should also look fine with HDR mode BT2020 the only difference is the first mode is not using the color filter. Some Netflix titles are UltraHD 4K but not HDR10. Perhaps that is your issue, in that case you should be using SDR mode not HDR.

My AppleTV is set to YCbCr 4:4:4.
Is the show 4K or HDR? There are several shows that are 4K, but not HDR.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Same question: Who does calibration in the Boston, Massachusetts area? Ideally, they'd also teach me how to maintain the calibration as the lamp dims.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
How does that work then - which color profile does it use?
In the advanced menu it gives the option for filter on or off, so it uses BT2020 or HDR.

Yes, in the advanced menu it gives you the option for filter on or off.

Hi. Can anyone recommend a calibrator in the Portland (Oregon) area, for an NX5? Thanks!
I will be in the Portland area for calibrations the weekend of the 25th of October. Reach out if you're interested in getting on my schedule.

Same question: Who does calibration in the Boston, Massachusetts area? Ideally, they'd also teach me how to maintain the calibration as the lamp dims.
I knew Ken Whitcomb does that area on occasion. Kevin Miller is also out of NYC so he may service that area.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
In the advanced menu it gives the option for filter on or off, so it uses BT2020 or HDR.
Thanks for that information, Kris. During your preliminary observations with the new firmware, were you able to establish a preference between these two options for those who have sufficient screen brightness so that the loss caused by the filter isn't an issue? Also, have you concluded whether you'd opt for frame-by-frame DTM versus scene-by-scene?

Reactions: downtownLA

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Thanks for that information, Kris. During your preliminary observations with the new firmware, were you able to establish a preference between these two options for those who have sufficient screen brightness so that the loss caused by the filter isn't an issue? Also, have you concluded whether you'd opt for frame-by-frame DTM versus scene-by-scene?
In my opinion you should always use the filter if you have the light output for it.

So far with the time I've been able to look at the JVC firmware and with the content I've been able to look at, I don't see any reason to use Scene By Scene over Frame by Frame, but there could always be cases when one does better than the other to eliminate "artifacts". But so far it hasn't been an issue.

17041 - 17060 of 29231 Posts