AVS Forum banner

17101 - 17120 of 29398 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
No. It works with any HDR10.

I don't think HLG has the same metadata issues (dim/bright/fluctuating) as HDR10. So a single picture setting for HLG should be all you need. The JVC projector will automatically detect HLG and switch to it. And HLG can be changed to a custom picture setting, if wanted.
I can't understand: HLG contents can be composed by very dark scenes with crushed blacks and very bright scenes with clipped whites... Why should it be different? Why can't a dynamically adaptive strategy be beneficial?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I did the same test with an RS400 a few years ago. Had to use a step ladder so that I could view (straight on from 2' away) the upper zones on my screen. Came to the same conclusion. It definitely improved the image.
So I'm surmising there's no detrimental issue to the picture given the feedback. I will try out markmon's suggestion (didn't even realize my NX9 had a 2nd lens configuration option).

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
So I'm surmising there's no detrimental issue to the picture given the feedback. I will try out markmon's suggestion (didn't even realize my NX9 had a 2nd lens configuration option).
Not really a different lens configuration. You do all your screen and lens adjusting in the installation mode. You can create multiple installation modes for any situation and then just flip to the appropriate mode when needed.

As for convergence adjustment, there are actually three types. Whole Pixel adjustments, fine pixel adjustment, and Zonal adjustment. Whole pixel moves red & blue convergence patterns one whole pixel, fine allows adjustment up to 1/16th or 1/8th of a pixel (I can't remember off the top of my head), and zonal is where you have a grid of fine adjustments spread out over the screen and allows varying adjustment for the different areas.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hello All

I got my NX 7 Projector today and its installed. I turned on Network settings and when I hit Software Update, its saying "The USB Flash Drive is not inserted or cannot be recognized". Can it not do software update via network?

Cheers

Raj

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello All

I got my NX 7 Projector today and its installed. I turned on Network settings and when I hit Software Update, its saying "The USB Flash Drive is not inserted or cannot be recognized". Can it not do software update via network?

Cheers

Raj
Must be done by USB 1GB min. With fat32 . The website gives good instructions.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Updating firmware over WiFi is an advanced and expensive technology you can’t possibly expect on a cheap projector like NX7. Oh wait...

Good news is that projector updates are infrequent it’s only a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
I can't understand: HLG contents can be composed by very dark scenes with crushed blacks and very bright scenes with clipped whites... Why should it be different? Why can't a dynamically adaptive strategy be beneficial?
DTM would be beneficial, but this system can't do it. But it is not quite as much of a problem, because the metadata should be correct on HLG.

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
Hello All

Cheers

Raj
This should help.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I actually had one JVC RS3000 that needed a zonal correction as red was out a full pixel or two to the left on the left side and out 1 or two pixels to the right on the right side. When I displayed a black/white projector test pattern using no zone correction, checkerboard & line patterns appeared green, red, or purple with some color moire.

However after carefully and systematically applying zonal correction, I was able to get the convergence absolutely perfect and the same test patterns displayed perfectly gray with no color moire. The picture sharpened up and the improvement was clearly apparent from a seated position.

So I say, follow markmon1's advice. Try it, A/B it and see if it helps. I found it very time consuming to get the zonal convergence correct but I managed to eventually obtain a perfect solution.

However, that projector had other issues for which I eventually ended up exchanging it. My current RS3000 is very sharp with no convergence issues.

You’ve convinced me to try this.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
All the JVCs for many years have had 10 lens configuration options heh.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
This should help.

It helps on how to update JVC firmware --- yes

Since 3.1 was mentioned and slightly demoed,, it makes waiting through this long "jvc 3.1 firmware eve" a bit tougher lol.

Anyway thanks, was pretty cool to see Chris update development version to official version :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I installed FW 3.10 on my RS1000 and after some testing I can say that yellowing and blooming is definitely still there, probably more visible when I’m tone mapping in madVR than in Frame Adapt HDR but both show it. One of the scenes I go to is 99% in Lucy and the switch to mostly white frame right after and I still see the issues there as before.

After the limited amount of testing I think I still prefer madVR tone mapping and I’m probably still going to leave the DI turned off but I’ll do some more testing with it.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I could see some people finding the image to be too dim if they just use the AUTO selection for processing. I found MEDIUM and HIGH gave the best results, with HIGH being the closest to what I see with the Lumagen more often than not, though it doesn't do as well with high APL/High CLL content, so in those cases you may have to go to MEDIUM or LOW (The Meg is a good example of this).
About to install the new firmware over the next few days and thank you for the overview listed above for what HDR level setting to use.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
installed earlier, very impressed ! i have only watched one clip with the shallows uhd. best i have ever seen this. this is scene when she is on the whale and makes her way across to the rock. looks really good, including the night scene that follows.

i used the jvc video mike posted as basis.

I noted a few things it changes by default. ie it boots up in high lamp. which I don't use and changed back to low. I also note iris is changed to manual that i changed back to auto2. I also selected the Wide filter.

using auto for processing for frame by frame and its not dark by any means for me, but then i run a relatively smaller screen and got nits to spare !

i cant wait to try out other material including stuff with no meta data, including stuff on the apple tv which i understand can be quite variable meta data wise. so far well done JVC !

·
Registered
436 Posts
installed earlier, very impressed ! i have only watched one clip with the shallows uhd. best i have ever seen this. this is scene when she is on the whale and makes her way across to the rock. looks really good, including the night scene that follows.

i used the jvc video mike posted as basis.

I noted a few things it changes by default. ie it boots up in high lamp. which I don't use and changed back to low. I also note iris is changed to manual that i changed back to auto2. I also selected the Wide filter.

using auto for processing for frame by frame and its not dark by any means for me, but then i run a relatively smaller screen and got nits to spare !

i cant wait to try out other material including stuff with no meta data, including stuff on the apple tv which i understand can be quite variable meta data wise. so far well done JVC !
Did you do a factory reset after the update? Wondering if this is really needed..

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk

Reactions: alebonau
17101 - 17120 of 29398 Posts