AVS Forum banner

18361 - 18380 of 29198 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,369 Posts
So to use Auto I should first move the brightness slider in Manual to brightest (I have a 0.92 gain screen and an image 11 feet wide), then switch to Auto? Or should I set brightness to taste? Is there a Spears & Munsil image I can use for that?

What's the difference between Auto 1 and Auto 2?
If your goal is to have the brightest possible image when it shouldn't be dimming and the blackest possible blacks, then yes. For your sized screen I'd run iris completely open on auto1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone posted their picture settings (post calibration?), ie for SDR/HDR?

having a really difficult getting the settings right, every time I change something, it looks good one one movie and then it's terrible with another.
My old JVC was sooo much easier for a novice like me to adjust.

Hope someone care to share their picture settings that has "worked" for them ( or post proper calibration), then I have a base line to work with.
Looking for someone with also a dark dedicated room, playing mainly netflix 4k and 4k discs.

I recall seeing it some time ago but forgot to screenshot it....now there's 600+ pages of this thread and I can't find it...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, good idea

I did reset the settings from the pixel menu, are you suggesting it might be worth doing a factory reset to see if it makes a difference. If so I will go through all the settings first and take note of them

Regarding the opinion that using fine adjustment should be avoided my settings I have to use are below. As I have said before the 2 pixels in the main setting isn’️t enough.

On the main setting it is -2 and +2 for red and blue. In the fine settings it is H-13 and V 5 for red and H-28 and V-5 for blue.

Is anybody else using such extreme settings?

Thank you

Graham
My blue was out a touch horizontally when I first got my NX7, but after a few hours of use, the convergence apparently settled; so now without any adjustments, blue is out nearly a half pixel and red is just barely even sticking out of the white lines at all. I used pixel adjust by only one click for blue and all is good for me.

On yours, with those number of clicks using the fine setting, do you find the picture looks good? And if not, did you discuss your issue with the person who sold you the projector to see what they thought about an exchange?
I am impressed when watching a movie but up close while adjusting focus and convergence it doesn’t seem pixel sharp. I am quite fussy but don’t like to complain. I wanted to gather up feedback first before telling the seller. I was just shocked to see spaces between the lines of colour rather than a white line. Never had one this bad before

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think I will mention it to the seller and JCV, I am using a lot of fine adjustment as well as -2 and +2 on the main pixel adjustment. I will have a look at exactly how much in a minute when I watch a film. Until I get some feedback I will just use it for a few days.

It could do with a bit of local adjustment as well, eg horizontally the red is just showing above the line on the left and below the line on the right.

Is it best to micro adjust both sides, one up and one down or make one side better on the whole adjustment and do twice as much correcting on the other side?

Thank you

Graham
I would recommend you do not mention that you corrected this with fine adjustment. What I'd say is that the projector cannot be converged. It's still not lined up even after maxing out the pixel convergence and leave it at that. If you say you can correct it using fine, you risk someone at JVC saying that it's within spec.

Thanks for the suggestion, good idea

I did reset the settings from the pixel menu, are you suggesting it might be worth doing a factory reset to see if it makes a difference. If so I will go through all the settings first and take note of them

Regarding the opinion that using fine adjustment should be avoided my settings I have to use are below. As I have said before the 2 pixels in the main setting isn’️t enough.

On the main setting it is -2 and +2 for red and blue. In the fine settings it is H-13 and V 5 for red and H-28 and V-5 for blue.

Is anybody else using such extreme settings?

Thank you

Graham
I would have no problem requiring -2 and +2 for convergence. It's doing that plus the fine adjustment that is a deal breaker. I'd definitely want this one swapped out.
I don’t want to be dishonest, anyway I bought the PJ from a seller that frequents the forum. I was going to lead him to my posts if I thought it was necessary.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts

having a really difficult getting the settings right, every time I change something, it looks good one one movie and then it's terrible with another.

Hope someone care to share their picture settings that has "worked" for them ( or post proper calibration), then I have a base line to work with.
Looking for someone with also a dark dedicated room, playing mainly netflix 4k and 4k discs.

I recall seeing it some time ago but forgot to screenshot it....now there's 600+ pages of this thread and I can't find it...

just basics...

SDR

Lamp Power Low, apperture Auto2, Iris -13 (this relates to my screen size - adjusted to achieve 14FL nominal)
Picture mode: Natural
Color profile BT709
Color Temp 6500K
Gamma 2.2

Contrast 0
Brightness 0
Color -8 (exploring this one seem to be erring back to 0 here)
Tint 0

MPC Level
Graphic Mode: Standard
Enhance: 0
Smoothing: 0
NR: 0
Motion Control
Low Latency: Off
Clear Motion Drive: off
Motion Enhance: off

For HDR,

Picture mode : Frame Adapt HDR
HDR Level : auto
HDR processing : scene by scene

Contrast 0
Brightness 0
Color 0
Tint 0

MPC Level
Graphic Mode: High-res
Enhance: 0
Smoothing: 0
NR: 0
Motion Control
Low Latency: Off
Clear Motion Drive: off
Motion Enhance: off

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Are Frame Adapt and Dynamic Iris supposed to be used together?

I'm wondering because they seem to both be addressed to the same issue - or is it ok to use both because they work on the opposite ends of the dynamic range, one limiting brightness and one improving darkness while allowing shadow detail when present.

And thanks, markmon!

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,369 Posts
Are Frame Adapt and Dynamic Iris supposed to be used together?

I'm wondering because they seem to both be addressed to the same issue - or is it ok to use both because they work on the opposite ends of the dynamic range, one limiting brightness and one improving darkness while allowing shadow detail when present..

And thanks, markmon!
The two features are not related. One tone maps HDR into a range that can be displayed on your projector and the other improves the black performance in low ADL scenes dramatically. I would enable both.

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
I am impressed when watching a movie but up close while adjusting focus and convergence it doesn’t seem pixel sharp. I am quite fussy but don’t like to complain. I wanted to gather up feedback first before telling the seller. I was just shocked to see spaces between the lines of colour rather than a white line. Never had one this bad before
Convergence is not inspected at the screen. Convergence is inspected from your seat once projector is warmed up 45 minutes. If the lines appear white and sharp from your seat, then you are good to go. If they do not, then you adjust convergence and agin view from your seat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Convergence is not inspected at the screen. Convergence is inspected from your seat once projector is warmed up 45 minutes. If the lines appear white and sharp from your seat, then you are good to go. If they do not, then you adjust convergence and agin view from your seat.
Do you also use the focus adjust function from your seat, or do you do it up close to the screen?

·
Vendor
26,593 Posts

Which unit do you have?

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Do you also use the focus adjust function from your seat, or do you do it up close to the screen?
For sure you can adjust focus up close. Convergence as well, although fine adjustment involves some compromises and you may not want to use it if you can’t see the misconvergence from your normal viewing position..

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
For sure you can adjust focus up close. Convergence as well, although fine adjustment involves some compromises and you may not want to use it if you can’t see the misconvergence from your normal viewing position..
Yes, you can adjust convergence from up close, but judging how it looks should be done from the seat. If it is white and crisp lines from the seat, then I doubt you are going to tell any difference with more adjustment.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
What would an “average” distance be to sit from a 125” 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve screen paired with my NX7? Screen arriving soon (I hope, first one damaged in shipping)

Have not had a chance to try DTM yet, as waiting for screen. Reason I ask is with hockey on my 85” Sony, I find I have to sit 15 feet back to reduce Eye strain from the white ice and a 720p broadcast...

Room is only 17 ft deep so I hope I don’t need to sit 15 ft back with the new screen as all the speakers then get pushed towards the back few feet (2 Atmos rear, side surrounds, rear surrounds)...

I’m not a front row guy at the theatre, so just wondering how many feet people are sitting back...thanks folks
When you talking about wider AR screens you generally don't want to use the "x screen widths" from the screen for seating. That is geared towards 16:9 and you would end up with much less vertical immersion using it here. Generally most people prefer the 2-3x screen height to seating ratio. Which works for any AR as we have more peripheral/horizontal FOV than vertical. So in your case with a 49" height you're looking at a range of 98-147" or 8.2-12.25' for optimal seating.

We sit at just over 9' from a 51" tall 2.35:1 screen which puts me 2.2x screen height to seating. It's on the closer side, but it's still comfortable and we can clearly see the resolution improvements in well mastered 4K titles.

Reactions: asharma

·
Registered
117 Posts
I noticed that DirecTV broadcasts HDR in Hybrid Log Gamma. The skin tones appeared over saturated. Has anybody done a calibration with HLG HDR ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am impressed when watching a movie but up close while adjusting focus and convergence it doesn’️t seem pixel sharp. I am quite fussy but don’️t like to complain. I wanted to gather up feedback first before telling the seller. I was just shocked to see spaces between the lines of colour rather than a white line. Never had one this bad before
For sure you can adjust focus up close. Convergence as well, although fine adjustment involves some compromises and you may not want to use it if you can’️t see the misconvergence from your normal viewing position..
Walk up to the screen and adjust focus.
For sure you can adjust focus up close. Convergence as well, although fine adjustment involves some compromises and you may not want to use it if you can’️t see the misconvergence from your normal viewing position..
Yes, you can adjust convergence from up close, but judging how it looks should be done from the seat. If it is white and crisp lines from the seat, then I doubt you are going to tell any difference with more adjustment.
In response to the questions. I have been adjusting convergence and focus while close to the screen and then at the seating position.

Like I have said my main concerns are that I have never had a PJ before where the convergence went out of whack just by inverting the image. Also never had one so far out so I was looking for comparisons.

I am happy with actual content viewing. I think I will still let the seller and JVC know about it.

I was looking to see how to copy lens memory and picture settings into a new preset for a starting point for 3d. Couldn’t work it out. Also anybody have a starting point for 3d using low lamp. Want a bit more pop and colour

Thanks

Graham

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
In response to the questions. I have been adjusting convergence and focus while close to the screen and then at the seating position.

Like I have said my main concerns are that I have never had a PJ before where the convergence went out of whack just by inverting the image. Also never had one so far out so I was looking for comparisons.

I am happy with actual content viewing. I think I will still let the seller and JVC know about it.

I was looking to see how to copy lens memory and picture settings into a new preset for a starting point for 3d. Couldn’t work it out. Also anybody have a starting point for 3d using low lamp. Want a bit more pop and colour

Thanks

Graham
Far off when just inverting image, not projector, as I said earlier is strange.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mike, I guess you have a very good photo equipment too, could you post a close up picture of the center of your focus and convergence grids or whatever else showing how crisp your N7 is ?

A picture is more than a thousand words they say, that would show us definitely what can be obtained really !

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
Mike, I guess you have a very good photo equipment too, could you post a close up picture of the center of your focus and convergence grids or whatever else showing how crisp your N7 is ?

A picture is more than a thousand words they say, that would show us definitely what can be obtained really !

Thanks a lot.
I have an RS3000. For camera, I have an iPhone. My convergence is excellent on my unit. Sharpness wise, my unit is slightly above average.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have an RS3000. For camera, I have an iPhone. My convergence is excellent on my unit. Sharpness wise, my unit is slightly above average.
OK then show us what it looks like ......

Anybody else with a N7/RS2000 having very good sharpness and convergence care to post a picture ?

18361 - 18380 of 29198 Posts