AVS Forum banner

18381 - 18400 of 29198 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
To all, especially Mike,

this is a picture of my focus screen after 20 minutes. This is the best I can get it. Photo taken with a Canon 60D 55-250 EFS lens on a tripod with mirror lock up. The colour fringing isn't noticeable when looking at the screen directly, but the blurriness is what it is like with the naked eye.

Is this a good representation of what you guys are seeing with yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
OK then show us what it looks like ......

Anybody else with a N7/RS2000 having very good sharpness and convergence care to post a picture ?
RS3000 convergence after warm up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Wow, yours have nicely defined edges. What did you think of my focus picture?

And thanks for taking the time with all the replies you have given me.

Well yours is not a NX9/RS3000. It will never be as sharp as the lens is quite a bit better on those.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well yours is not a NX9/RS3000. It will never be as sharp as the lens is quite a bit better on those.
Reason why I am very interested in seeing actual photos of N7 / RS2000 projectors.

Still waiting for my EFI ES-2000, when I get it I will again do a complete autocall ( Spyder X for gamma and EFI for colors) and take some pictures too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
One problem with the DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) that I own is the very long delay with HDMI sync. Sometimes it is 8-10sec or more.

I know that this has been slightly reduced in the NX series but is it to the point of not being an issue?

I went from a JVC RS-1 that had very minimal HDMI sync delays to a much much better (image wise) X570 but the delay bothers me as I sometimes like to flip between demo scenes with different resolutions, framerate and/or color depth.

I am tempted with all of the talk about the NX7 but still wondering if JVC could fix the issue.
Do the Sony's or the Epson's have the same HDMI sync delay?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
One problem with the DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) that I own is the very long delay with HDMI sync. Sometimes it is 8-10sec or more.

I know that this has been slightly reduced in the NX series but is it to the point of not being an issue?

I went from a JVC RS-1 that had very minimal HDMI sync delays to a much much better (image wise) X570 but the delay bothers me as I sometimes like to flip between demo scenes with different resolutions, framerate and/or color depth.

I am tempted with all of the talk about the NX7 but still wondering if JVC could fix the issue.
It's cut in half. So there is still a delay, but much less. Well worth it for the picture quality these units put out. Neither the Epson or the Sony will have a better picture regardless of the sync times they have.

Reactions: EricE

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts

You can't compare an old 2K projector with a 4K projector using HDMI 2.0 and 18Gb/s.

The delay for my JVC macro is set to 6 secs for my rs2000, vs 20 secs with my rs500.

I've set the delay in the JVC macro to 6 secs to make sure it doesn't miss a single sync as it can vary depending on source, resolution etc. The actual sync time without this safety headroom is closer to 5 secs, so I consider it fixed. It's the same time my LG 4K monitor takes to sync.

Sure, instant sync would be great, but coming from 20 secs, I'm happy that my JVC projectors doesn't take longer to sync than my LG 4K Monitor.

I have a complex chain with a Maestro and an AVR between the source and the PJ, so it might even be faster in some situations.

HDMI 2.1 might improve this a bit further, but that will take a couple of years and will mean replacing the whole chain, not just the PJ. Until then, I'd say it's as good as it gets on a 4K projector. Well done JVC! :)

·
Registered
28,740 Posts

Sync delay will never be like it was with your RS-1. So if waiting until it gets there, will be a forever wait.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just like this.

I use the spray adhesive to attach the velvet to the foam board and then wrap the velvet around the foam board and glue it to the backside. I then used the 3M tape to stick it to the ceiling.

You can make the panels whatever size works best for you. However I added a second row of smaller panels and they are lighter and do hold better to the ceiling.

@coxy2416 Thanks! I was considering either that 1.5" foam insulation board from HD/Lowes (4'x8') or Foam Core board from Hobby Lobby (40"x60"), very similar to what you used. If i go one of these routes, I'm planning to use 3M Command velcro strips to hold them up, I don't want to permanently bond something to the wall or ceiling. My concern with either was that it would "sag" over time, but yours look perfectly flat. I just don't know if that is due to you using that crazy strong tape? Did you use the tape in the middle too, or just around the edges? And did you do foam core on the wall sections too, or just staple the velvet like others here seem to have done?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Just like this.

I use the spray adhesive to attach the velvet to the foam board and then wrap the velvet around the foam board and glue it to the backside. I then used the 3M tape to stick it to the ceiling.

You can make the panels whatever size works best for you. However I added a second row of smaller panels and they are lighter and do hold better to the ceiling.
@coxy2416 Thanks! I was considering either that 1.5" foam insulation board from HD/Lowes (4'x8') or Foam Core board from Hobby Lobby (40"x60"), very similar to what you used. If i go one of these routes, I'm planning to use 3M Command velcro strips to hold them up, I don't want to permanently bond something to the wall or ceiling. My concern with either was that it would "sag" over time, but yours look perfectly flat. I just don't know if that is due to you using that crazy strong tape? Did you use the tape in the middle too, or just around the edges? And did you do foam core on the wall sections too, or just staple the velvet like others here seem to have done?
The panels on the ceiling have tape around the edges and through the middle. I generally cut 3” pieces of the 3M tape and placed it through the panel. It’s a theatre room so it’s not changing unless I move so I have no concern about it being permanent for my use.

The velvet on the wall are just panels that I used a strip of Velcro at the very top and just let them hang. There is a Velcro strip sewn into the top of the panel and a Velcro strip taped onto the wall. Worked out great!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
To all, especially Mike,

this is a picture of my focus screen after 20 minutes. This is the best I can get it. Photo taken with a Canon 60D 55-250 EFS lens on a tripod with mirror lock up. The colour fringing isn't noticeable when looking at the screen directly, but the blurriness is what it is like with the naked eye.

That looks blurry coming through my monitor. When I focus the NX7, I can see the tiny pixels in the word "focus" and sharper edges.

RS3000 convergence after warm up.
Mike, your convergence looks great. But why are the lines so wide, just the photo? To be candid, I haven't seen the convergence grid on the 3000 before and only going off of my NX7 with its skinny white lines with those tiny stripes/teethed pixel gaps in between. :)

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
That looks blurry coming through my monitor. When I focus the NX7, I can see the tiny pixels in the word "focus" and sharper edges.

Mike, your convergence looks great. But why are the lines so wide, just the photo? To be candid, I haven't seen the convergence grid on the 3000 before and only going off of my NX7 with its skinny white lines with those tiny stripes/teethed pixel gaps in between. :)
I stood to the side and took an angled picture, so that I would not be shooting much of my shadow. My iphone was about 10" away from the screen, so required a pretty good angle, not to shoot much shadow. You can see a little bit was shadow on the left side of the picture.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
To all, especially Mike,

Like others have said, my NX7 is tack sharp and looks sharper than what I see in this picture. Its more like what Mike showed on the NX9 with both convergence and sharpness(though I have the NX7). Your image looks more like what my old Sony 695 would have looked like on its focus screen. That was the biggest jump for me in coming from the Sony to RS2000/NX7 was the increase in sharpness due to a better lens.

·
Registered
186 Posts
To all, especially Mike,

My RS2000 looks very similar to yours. I always have a little bit of fringing when I am right up on the screen but at my normal viewing distance all I can see is white. When I display 4K test patterns like the "quick brown fox..." I can resolve all the single-pixel patterns and color patterns without issue, and actual content looks fantastic.

Not everyone is going to be a lottery winner and get the perfect projector sample, but if you get something in-spec that throws an otherwise fantastic picture and doesn't have issues that distract you during content viewing then I wouldn't stress too much about it. I feel like I used to spend as much time with my face 6" from the screen staring at test patterns as I did enjoying movies, and once I got over that I started enjoying my projector a lot more.

That said, if your orientation inversion issue points to some deeper problem then I would pursue a fix, but I have no idea what such a problem would be.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
To all, especially Mike,

My RS2000 looks very similar to yours. I always have a little bit of fringing when I am right up on the screen but at my normal viewing distance all I can see is white. When I display 4K test patterns like the "quick brown fox..." I can resolve all the single-pixel patterns and color patterns without issue, and actual content looks fantastic.
Graham N, my RS2000 looks similar to yours as best as I can remember. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I recall that when I first tinkered with focus the first few times I played with the projector, I couldn't get real sharp edges around the focus letters. On other hand, my convergence seemed to be really good.

But the focus issue (if there is one) was only when I was right up at the screen (about a foot away) adjusting focus. I've never seen any issues with test patterns like the "quick brown fox" pattern and consistent with what WisconsinEric says, actual content has always been very sharp -- to the point that I had forgotten completely about the focus issue until I saw your post and your pic.

18381 - 18400 of 29198 Posts