AVS Forum banner

18421 - 18440 of 29441 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's cut in half. So there is still a delay, but much less. Well worth it for the picture quality these units put out. Neither the Epson or the Sony will have a better picture regardless of the sync times they have.
You can't compare an old 2K projector with a 4K projector using HDMI 2.0 and 18Gb/s.

The delay for my JVC macro is set to 6 secs for my rs2000, vs 20 secs with my rs500.

I've set the delay in the JVC macro to 6 secs to make sure it doesn't miss a single sync as it can vary depending on source, resolution etc. The actual sync time without this safety headroom is closer to 5 secs, so I consider it fixed. It's the same time my LG 4K monitor takes to sync.

Sure, instant sync would be great, but coming from 20 secs, I'm happy that my JVC projectors doesn't take longer to sync than my LG 4K Monitor.

I have a complex chain with a Maestro and an AVR between the source and the PJ, so it might even be faster in some situations.

HDMI 2.1 might improve this a bit further, but that will take a couple of years and will mean replacing the whole chain, not just the PJ. Until then, I'd say it's as good as it gets on a 4K projector. Well done JVC! :)
Sync delay will never be like it was with your RS-1. So if waiting until it gets there, will be a forever wait.
Thanks Guys!
You are making me spend money. Hopefully after the HT reno is finished I can then plan on a new NX5 or 7.
I already made provisions for the much larger projector.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Thanks appreciate it.

And it has auto HDR just like the NX7 right?

How about brightness would it have issues with my screen size? talking about the nx5.
The only difference between the NX7 and NX5 are the extra HDR color filter that bring you from about 90% coverage to 100% coverage and the dual iris in the NX7 that brings more contrast especially as you close it down. There is also s bit more contrast naively due to maybe a different polarizer or better panel binning, but the difference to my eye between the 2 both at full open iris was pretty much indistinguishable.

For 160" IMO I would also go for the NX5 personally. You will be running full open iris as well as probably opting for not using the wide color filter.

·
Premium Member
9,828 Posts
Mine falls into this camp; the DI doesn't exhibit pumping, nor do I see the yellowing of text that some report.

This DI visibly brings down black levels but does so invisibly and silently. I have to say this DI implementation is now the best I've seen.
The pumping is gone thanks to the higher black floor and lower dynamic contrast. There is no free lunch. :)

The contrast is fine, but the black floor is significantly higher on fade to black. I don't mind about this given all the other improvements, but someone else could if for example they care more about picture quality when there is nothing on the screen (full black) than when there is something :).

When present, the yellowing is minor and only very brief in some situations. Most people would miss it unless they know what to look for and look at specific shots.

The highlights crushing depends on many things, primarily iris settings (most present with iris open, down to insignificant at -10 and closer), sources used and tonemapping/calibration settings.

You have to look at specific situations to see this happen, mostly very dark scenes with bright small objects (headlights, spotlights, etc). You have to compare DI on/DI off to actually see the amount of detail that vanishes when the DI is switched on. Otherwise, if does it job, it gives more apparent contrast to the picture, and if you don't know what's missing, you might never notice it. It took me a very long time to spot these on my rs500, before that I was very happy with the DI in HDR even with the iris fully open.

It not because you don't notice these artifacts that they are not present. And it's not because they are present in some setups with some settings that they are present in your setup, so you might not see them because there is nothing to see.

So if you don't see them, good for you, by all means don't look for them, but please don't make it sound that those who do see them invent them, or that it doesn't matter. In the projection world, what you see is never what someone else is going to see.

Once you see what it does, it's very ugly and frankly the DI becomes unusable, especially if you calibrate and care about an accurate picture. which is why if you don't see them, don't look for them.

I'm happy that you don't seem to be affected, and it doesn't matter if it's because the highlights crushing are present or not, but you keep posting as if you were on a mission to convince others that there aren't any DI artifacts on the new models. When someone asks specifically about DI artifacts, I don't think it's cool to send the message that these units are entirely artifact free. They are better than the previous models pumping-wise, but all DI artifacts are not gone (except for the rs3000 that seems to fair better).

Given that older models have exactly the same issue regarding highlights crushing, it's fair to say that if Coxy2416 doesn't see these on his X790, he probably won't mind them on the new units, should they be present with the sources/settings he'll use.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Once you see what it does, it's very ugly and frankly the DI becomes unusable, especially if you calibrate and care about an accurate picture. which is why if you don't see them, don't look for them.
This is where you lose me. We had this issue last generation and no one seems to have noticed or reported on it. That's years of it flying under the radar. I care about accuracy and calibration, but have yet to see anything close to "very ugly" or "unusable" using the DI. I get that you feel this way, but it seems a gross exaggeration to me.

No one is denying that the iris can exhibit issues. I've pointed out that one of the major differences in contrast is the lack of aggressive fade to blacks. But having lived with the pumping on the RS520, I would say I prefer the NX7's less obtrusive implementation.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
This is where you lose me. We had this issue last generation and no one seems to have noticed or reported on it. That's years of it flying under the radar. I care about accuracy and calibration, but have yet to see anything close to "very ugly" or "unusable" using the DI. I get that you feel this way, but it seems a gross exaggeration to me.

No one is denying that the iris can exhibit issues. I've pointed out that one of the major differences in contrast is the lack of aggressive fade to blacks. But having lived with the pumping on the RS520, I would say I prefer the NX7's less obtrusive implementation.
I am like Manni. If i watch stuff with my manual iris at 0 and then activate either Auto 2 or Auto 1 DI I see highlights being clipped in dark scenes quite often and it ruins the experience for me. I don't feel it's an exaggeration personally. I have another friend who feels the same way with his NX7.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I am like Manni. If i watch stuff with my manual iris at 0 and then activate either Auto 2 or Auto 1 DI I see highlights being clipped in dark scenes quite often and it ruins the experience for me. I don't feel it's an exaggeration personally. I have another friend who feels the same way with his NX7.
I guess fair enough. Like the Greatest Showman screenshot I posted in response to this about a month ago, I don't see any blown out highlights. And I find it hard to call something that went unnoticed for years "unusable" and "very ugly".

I do hope that now that DTM is done that the DI is something they focus on. But I can't say I've noticed any instances of radically bad picture artifacts with the DI. Still there is obviously room for improvement here.

·
Premium Member
9,828 Posts

And this is where I'm saying: don't look for it, it was the same in your rs520, you simply missed it (like I did for a very long time) :)

I and others have provided exact timecodes, shown video clips with the issue. If you don't see these, you're lucky. If you see these and think that's fine, more power to you :)

I'm not providing these timecodes anymore because they will only lead people like you who are enjoying the DI to not enjoy it anymore. What good would that do?

All I'm saying is that the behaviour is very similar to what JVC showed to illustrate the damage that static tonemapping does compared to the new DTM tonemapping: a lot of detail in the highlights being clipped.

Why do you think that the DI is always disabled in every single demo that JVC does? :)

Again, they know about the issue and are trying to resolve it. As they have aknowledged the issue and are working on a fix, I don't see the point in making more users aware of the flaw, but I don't think it should be brushed under the carpet, especially when a prospective user asks about DI artifacts. I think that my reply was balanced, I still advise to buy the projector if you can afford it, as I said many times, it's certainly not a showstopper given the three workarounds: close the manual iris further, switch the DI off, get an rs3000.

The only thing I'm asking, if it can't be fixed for us lowly rs1000/rs2000 owners, is an auto 3 mode without any gamma manipulation that would only kick in on fade to black to give us a higher dynamic contrast. I never cared about pumping on credits, and I do miss (a bit) the better black floor on fade to black. I don't need any more contrast when the DI is off and there is content on the screen, so I'd be happy without any gamma manipulation. That's all. I think that and the chroma bug are the only two very minor things in my "minus" side. There might be very good reasons for not implementing this (for example artifacts when coming out of black from a more closed iris position), so if it doesn't happen, that's fine too.

Otherwise as I made it very clear, I love my rs2000. :)

Over and out.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yeah, I have no issues with my NX5 and I absolutely love it and it's throwing one of the best pictures I have ever seen from a projector at its price and even better than ones I have seen that cost even more. I would highlight recommend and I would buy again.

However, I find yellowing and clipping with the DI but so I simply don't use it. IMO no harm done. The native contrast is more than 20,000:1 even on the NX5 with wide open iris which is more than enough for a really great looking picture. Yes I have seen a RS400, RS540, RS600, RS620, NX7, NX9 as well and I still think the NX5 looks great in comparison. I would even choose it over a RS540. Of course I wouldn't choose it over a NX7, but for the price I think its not a bad choice vs. the NX7.

I also saw highlight clipping on the RS models as well.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
And this is where I'm saying: don't look for it, it was the same in your rs520, you simply missed it (like I did for a very long time) :)

I and others have provided exact timecodes, shown video clips with the issue. If you don't see these, you're lucky. If you see these and think that's fine, more power to you :)

I'm not providing these timecodes anymore because they will only lead people like you who are enjoying the DI to not enjoy it anymore. What good would that do?

All I'm saying is that the behaviour is very similar to what JVC showed to illustrate the damage that static tonemapping does compared to the new DTM tonemapping: a lot of detail in the highlights being clipped.

Why do you think that the DI is always disabled in every single demo that JVC does? :)

Again, they know about the issue and are trying to resolve it. As they have aknowledged the issue and are working on a fix, I don't see the point on making more users aware of the flaw, but I don't think it should be brushed under the carpet, especially when a prospective user asks about DI artifacts. I think that my reply was balanced, I still advise to buy the projector if you can afford it, as I said many times, it's certainly not a showstopper given the three workarounds: close the manual iris further, switch the DI off, get an rs3000.

The only thing I'm asking, if it can't be fixed for us lowly rs1000/rs2000 owners, is an auto 3 mode without any gamma manipulation that would only kick in on fade to black to give us a higher dynamic contrast. I never cared about pumping on credits, and I do miss (a bit) the better black floor on fade to black. I don't need any more contrast when the DI is off and there is content on the screen, so I'd be happy without any gamma manipulation. That's all. I think that and the chroma bug are the only two very minor things in my "minus" side. There might be very good reasons for not implementing this (for example artifacts when coming out of black from a more closed iris position), so if it doesn't happen, that's fine too.

Otherwise as I made it very clear, I love my rs2000. :)

Over and out.
I don't mean to imply that the information you're providing isn't appreciated. Just that something that can go by years unnoticed with all of us enthusiasts and professionals scrutinizing performance doesn't feel like it's at the level of severity of "unusable" to me.

No one is sweeping it under the rug. But any perspective owner should come to their own conclusion on whether this feature is "broken". And I think an Auto-3 that offered a more aggressive FTB would be appreciated. I doubt I'd use it at this point, gotten to used to the lack of pumping. But the option would nice to have.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The two features are not related. One tone maps HDR into a range that can be displayed on your projector and the other improves the black performance in low ADL scenes dramatically. I would enable both.
My last remaining question: how would you describe the difference between Dynamic Iris settings Auto 1 and Auto 2 on the RS1000?

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
I don't mean to imply that the information you're providing isn't appreciated. Just that something that can go by years unnoticed with all of us enthusiasts and professionals scrutinizing performance doesn't feel like it's at the level of severity of "unusable" to me.

No one is sweeping it under the rug. But any perspective owner should come to their own conclusion on whether this feature is "broken". And I think an Auto-3 that offered a more aggressive FTB would be appreciated. I doubt I'd use it at this point, gotten to used to the lack of pumping. But the option would nice to have.
I get what you both are saying. Manni is correct, don't go looking for it. I noticed it once or twice but 99% of the time the DI is great. It does not close down as much has the previous eshift models. It's like using the projector without the DI because its really unnoticeable with it is engaged. Sometimes it appears to be a much higher native contrast projector because there is no pumping of the DI.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
My last remaining question: how would you describe the difference between Dynamic Iris settings Auto 1 and Auto 2 on the RS1000?
Auto-1 is slightly more aggressive than Auto-2. I don't see any artifacts with Auto-1 so I use it for the bump in contrast. So I'd say start with Auto-1 and see if you notice anything objectionable.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is it me or am I not seeing alot of reaction here to the Frame Adapt HDR update? Is everyone not impressed and just afraid to say it? Or was it nothing impressive? Or is everyone waiting for Kris Deering's review? Or is the review out and I missed it? I updated my NX7 but haven't spent time comparing it yet.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
The pumping is gone thanks to the higher black floor and lower dynamic contrast. There is no free lunch. :)

The contrast is fine, but the black floor is significantly higher on fade to black. I don't mind about this given all the other improvements, but someone else could if for example they care more about picture quality when there is nothing on the screen (full black) than when there is something :).

When present, the yellowing is minor and only very brief in some situations. Most people would miss it unless they know what to look for and look at specific shots.

The highlights crushing depends on many things, primarily iris settings (most present with iris open, down to insignificant at -10 and closer), sources used and tonemapping/calibration settings.

You have to look at specific situations to see this happen, mostly very dark scenes with bright small objects (headlights, spotlights, etc). You have to compare DI on/DI off to actually see the amount of detail that vanishes when the DI is switched on. Otherwise, if does it job, it gives more apparent contrast to the picture, and if you don't know what's missing, you might never notice it. It took me a very long time to spot these on my rs500, before that I was very happy with the DI in HDR even with the iris fully open.

It not because you don't notice these artifacts that they are not present. And it's not because they are present in some setups with some settings that they are present in your setup, so you might not see them because there is nothing to see.

So if you don't see them, good for you, by all means don't look for them, but please don't make it sound that those who do see them invent them, or that it doesn't matter. In the projection world, what you see is never what someone else is going to see.

I'm happy that you don't seem to be affected, and it doesn't matter if it's because the highlights crushing are present or not, but you keep posting as if you were on a mission to convince others that there aren't any DI artifacts on the new models. When someone asks specifically about DI artifacts, I don't think it's cool to send the message that these units are entirely artifact free. They are better than the previous models pumping-wise, but all DI artifacts are not gone (except for the rs3000 that seems to fair better).

Given that older models have exactly the same issue regarding highlights crushing, it's fair to say that if Coxy2416 doesn't see these on his X790, he probably won't mind them on the new units, should they be present with the sources/settings he'll use.
Unfortunately, I think the only thing that's misleading are your misinterpretations in your post above.

Nobody's ever said there was a free lunch or said that FTB on these models is equal to or better than the outgoing series. In fact, I posted my contrast measurements for the NX7 and X990. For HDR use with iris wide open, per practical use for better brightness, the perceptual difference in onscreen contrast was difficult to differentiate for me between the two models and in fact the black uniformity looks better on my NX7 than it did on my X990, and I attributed that to smaller pixel gaps. Coxy and I were having discussions about the two series in PMs yesterday evening. Hopefully, he can demo one.

As far as artifact-free, or a "mission," as you call it, I only speak or have spoken of what I've seen, mine and mine alone, pointed out that my findings sit more in Al's camp.

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with your DI, I really am; but there's no need for rudeness and please stop reading into my posts and ascribing your own interpretations. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Unfortunately, I think the only thing that's misleading are your misinterpretations in your post above.

Nobody's ever said there was a free lunch or said that FTB on these models is equal to or better than the outgoing series. In fact, I posted my contrast measurements for the NX7 and X990. For HDR use with iris wide open, per practical use for better brightness, the perceptual difference in onscreen contrast was difficult to differentiate for me between the two models and in fact the black uniformity looks better on my NX7 than it did on my X990, and I attributed that to smaller pixel gaps. Coxy and I were having discussions about the two series in PMs yesterday evening. Hopefully, he can demo one.

As far as artifact-free, or a "mission," as you call it, I only speak or have spoken of what I've seen, mine and mine alone, pointed out that my findings sit more in Al's camp.

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with your DI, I really am; but there's no need for rudeness and please stop reading into my posts and ascribing your own interpretations. Thank you.
I don't think Manni is trying to be rude at all. He has always been very straightforward with his posts and since there is not "tone" in a post/email, most interpret this as being rude. English is not his first language and he has a very direct personality and is passionate about this hobby. So try not to take his posts as hostile as I know that is not his intent at all.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Can someone direct me which setting I should select for my rs1000 in my denon x6500h.
In 4k signal format there is ...

standard (Select if your TV and playback devices support standard 4K 60p 4:2:0 8 bit video signals)

Or

enhanced(Select if your TV, playback devices, and cables support high quality 4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4K 60p 4:2:0 10 bit video signals.)

Do I use 1 for just Blu-ray’s and 1 for 4k movies. Not sure how this works.
Supposedly "enhanced" is the correct one, but from what I've seen from others on here, and in my own experience, "standard" looks noticeably better.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I don't think Manni is trying to be rude at all. He has always been very straightforward with his posts and since there is not "tone" in a post/email, most interpret this as being rude. English is not his first language and he has a very direct personality and is passionate about this hobby. So try not to take his posts as hostile as I know that is not his intent at all.
I 100% agree with this. Manni is always direct . Some people like that approach. It can be jarring for other people when they first experience a direct person. I myself prefer a happy middle ground but I do appreciate a person who isn't afraid to voice their concerns in a constructive way, especially when they are also willing to acknowledge the positive attributes of a projector. Manni certainly has been objective in his analysis of the JVC projectors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I see. I was just taken a little by surprise that he singled me out/my post, which didn't even quote his initially, among the others who also have been reporting their DIs were trouble free, publishing that I was on a mission of some sort.

I might sound like a broken record, but I'll echo this: it just may be that my NX7's DI has yet to see the right combination of factors to really trip it up too.

Anyway, I can understand and appreciate your input. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Is it me or am I not seeing alot of reaction here to the Frame Adapt HDR update? Is everyone not impressed and just afraid to say it? Or was it nothing impressive? Or is everyone waiting for Kris Deering's review? Or is the review out and I missed it? I updated my NX7 but haven't spent time comparing it yet.
Part of this is that there is a companion thread for just the DTM. The feedback is overwhelmingly positive.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3089022-jvc-announces-major-hdr-update-4k-d-ila-projectors.html

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Thanks appreciate it.

And it has auto HDR just like the NX7 right?

How about brightness would it have issues with my screen size? talking about the nx5.
You will get around 25/26FL. That is enough for good DTM on the HDR.

18421 - 18440 of 29441 Posts