AVS Forum banner

18481 - 18500 of 29566 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Rather than ask directly for a replacement (initially anyway) I will contact the seller and JVC with my photos and see what they say.
Hi, Graham. Goodness, that first one could moonlight as old-school 3D. I'm really sorry you're having trouble with your convergence. I may have missed it, but can you just have your seller present the issue for a replacement?

I don't think asking for an exchange under these circumstances would be seen as fastidious or analogous to thumbing your nose at anyone. On my monitor (with your convergence adjustment settings), some of the otherwise white characters appear bluish in hue while some appear white in the same screenshot. If that's the case, then pixel adjustment doesn't seem to correctly remedy it.

Is that what you're seeing in person?

Whatever route you decide to take, good luck!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Right, and I do have your PM. Thank you.

So, maybe you could take your 4k player there and give it another spin?
I may just do that but for now I am more on the side of sticking with the X790. While I know the RS2000 is going to be better then the X790 I do not think it will be a big enough upgrade. If it had the same black levels as the X790 and had a laser light engine I would have already purchased it. So I guess its not the price of the current projector as much as it is missing features I really want in my next projector.

I may have another look into MadVR for tone mapping :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I may just do that but for now I am more on the side of sticking with the X790. While I know the RS2000 is going to be better then the X790 I do not think it will be a big enough upgrade. If it had the same black levels as the X790 and had a laser light engine I would have already purchased it. So I guess its not the price of the current projector as much as it is missing features I really want in my next projector.

Okay, got it! I was mistakenly taking in the tenor of your posts to mean you were still on the fence. :)

·
Registered
920 Posts

Okay, got it! I was mistakenly taking in the tenor of your posts to mean you were still on the fence. :)
No mistake, I was on the fence and I could change my mind by tomorrow :)

I do appreciate all the feedback that I have had from yourself and everyone else!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey guys,

Quick probably stupid question. Have nx7— in gamma settings there is a drop down list to select certain gamma and there is also a setting called correction value. What is corrected value? Currently it’s grayed out—- can’t set it—-what do you need to do to set correction value? Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Hey guys,

Quick probably stupid question. Have nx7— in gamma settings there is a drop down list to select certain gamma and there is also a setting called correction value. What is corrected value? Currently it’s grayed out—- can’t set it—-what do you need to do to set correction value? Thanks

Ron
Correction Value is for custom gammas.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
Thinking of the NX7, might get a good deal tomorrow, just a few questons:

1-is the price difference worth the jump from the NX5 to the NX7? i usually tend to sell my gear so think this will stay a max of 3 years with me. Stick with the NX5 if you are only keeping for 3 years, I would.
2-any benefits for 4k res if mainly my movies are 1080p? i know i will get some as i am using madvr with a 2060 Nvidia 6GB Card. Will look good, especially with madvr. I would look into the DLA-RS540U, since you are manily watching 1080P and only keeping for 3 years, imagine in 3 years the extra cash you will have to update with the savings you make now....
3-any basic calibration recommendation for it? without any tools, or does it look good out of the box? i know it's a different setting in every room but just wondering. They look pretty good right out of the box, but can look better ;)

Btw i have a 160 inch screen,more details in sig. Thats a big screen....... ;)
Answers above......

To each there own........ You have to figure out what is in your best interest and not someone else's... There is nothing wrong with a 790R/540U.

·
Registered
28,836 Posts

That sounds like what people were saying, before they saw the RS2000. Read a lot of posts like this, but after seeing the RS2000 in action, most all of them changed their opinion.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
That sounds like what people were saying, before they saw the RS2000. Read a lot of posts like this, but after seeing the RS2000 in action, most all of them changed their opinion.
He did see the RS2000, but apparently it wasn't set up optimally or wasn't displaying the better quality sources.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

I immediately regretted selling my RS520 to pay double for a lower contrast projector. A laser projector would have been amazing but I barely get 500 hours a year on a projector since I use a dual setup. But I was pleasantly surprised that the RS2000/N7 was better in every single area but falls slightly behind in contrast

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi, Graham. Goodness, that first one could moonlight as old-school 3D. I'm really sorry you're having trouble with your convergence. I may have missed it, but can you just have your seller present the issue for a replacement?

I don't think asking for an exchange under these circumstances would be seen as fastidious or analogous to thumbing your nose at anyone. On my monitor (with your convergence adjustment settings), some of the otherwise white characters appear bluish in hue while some appear white in the same screenshot. If that's the case, then pixel adjustment doesn't seem to correctly remedy it.

Is that what you're seeing in person?

Whatever route you decide to take, good luck!
The seller agreed straight away that it is faulty but it has to go back to JVC for testing. I have asked for a replacement but it has to be tested first.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The seller agreed straight away that it is faulty but it has to go back to JVC for testing. I have asked for a replacement but it has to be tested first.

Tried looking through this thread but couldn't see if you posted how long you've had the projector. I think I read you had 16hrs on it. How long have you had it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tried looking through this thread but couldn't see if you posted how long you've had the projector. I think I read you had 16hrs on it. How long have you had it?
Arrived Friday, installed Saturday. Problem showed up immediately after I selected Ceiling F from the menu to turn the picture the right way up. It seemed ok until I flipped the picture.

I want a replacement but the seller says it needs to go to JVC UK first for testing

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

Shouldn’t JVC Advanced RMA get you a replacement right away before even sending it in?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Answers above......

To each there own........ You have to figure out what is in your best interest and not someone else's... There is nothing wrong with a 790R/540U.
Thanks for the help.

if i go for the 540 or the nx5 will they have issues lightning up my screen? since it's big.

Also if i want auto HDR will that only work with 4k sources on the nx5?

·
Registered
920 Posts

He did see the RS2000, but apparently it wasn't set up optimally or wasn't displaying the better quality sources.
I immediately regretted selling my RS520 to pay double for a lower contrast projector. A laser projector would have been amazing but I barely get 500 hours a year on a projector since I use a dual setup. But I was pleasantly surprised that the RS2000/N7 was better in every single area but falls slightly behind in contrast
There is no denying that the RS2000 will be an upgrade to my projector as I have read every post in this thread and the reviews are overwhelmingly great! :)

As Aztar35 has mentioned I did see the RS2000 up and running but the source being fed to it was terrible. I have the option to take in my Shield, hook it up and play around as long as I would like and I may still just do that.

On average I only put around 600 hrs a year on a bulb so like yourself I really haven't been overly concerned about that. However, I do like gaming and there are time I have 15-20 mins that I'd just like to fire up the projector but I do not as I do not want to be turning it on and off multiple times a day. Usually if the projector goes on it will be on for a minimum of 1hr as I believe it is not good practice to be turning bulb projectors on and off for short durations.

I am hopeful in the coming years that there will be a more affordable laser projector with good black levels as I think that is what I am really looking for in my next upgrade. As my theater is blacked out it would be awesome to have a completely black screen on those fade to blacks :)

When I upgraded from a Runco LS-1 to the JVC X790 I can say without a doubt that it was a massive upgrade! Upgrading from an X790 to an RS2000 will be an upgrade in most every way but it will not be a massive upgrade.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Thanks for the help.

if i go for the 540 or the nx5 will they have issues lightning up my screen? since it's big.

Also if i want auto HDR will that only work with 4k sources on the nx5?
Auto HDR will work on both the 540 and nx5. They will automatically switch to HDR when the signal is fed to the projector.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I don’t know if it works the same in the UK
It is a bit different over here I think, but I think you have 30 days from purchase where you have the right to demand a refund if the goods are supplied faulty - ie not fit for purpose - which would seem to be the case here.

In your case I would definitely want a replacement - I certainly wouldn't accept a repair - and if that's not possible, then an immediate refund and take your custom elsewhere.

That said, if you bought from a JVC dealer (you did didn't you??) then I'd fully expect they would do everything they possibly can to expedite your replacement.

I really feel for you - it's awful when you have such an expensive and important bit of kit arrive faulty, but I don't think there can be any question of that even from your fist pictures - you've been very patient but I think the time has come to demand some real customer service.

The very best of luck to you.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
There is no denying that the RS2000 will be an upgrade to my projector as I have read every post in this thread and the reviews are overwhelmingly great! :)

As Aztar35 has mentioned I did see the RS2000 up and running but the source being fed to it was terrible. I have the option to take in my Shield, hook it up and play around as long as I would like and I may still just do that.

On average I only put around 600 hrs a year on a bulb so like yourself I really haven't been overly concerned about that. However, I do like gaming and there are time I have 15-20 mins that I'd just like to fire up the projector but I do not as I do not want to be turning it on and off multiple times a day. Usually if the projector goes on it will be on for a minimum of 1hr as I believe it is not good practice to be turning bulb projectors on and off for short durations.

I am hopeful in the coming years that there will be a more affordable laser projector with good black levels as I think that is what I am really looking for in my next upgrade. As my theater is blacked out it would be awesome to have a completely black screen on those fade to blacks :)

When I upgraded from a Runco LS-1 to the JVC X790 I can say without a doubt that it was a massive upgrade! Upgrading from an X790 to an RS2000 will be an upgrade in most every way but it will not be a massive upgrade.

I would wait a year or 2. Let JVC iterate on this new platform once or twice. That's my plan. Maybe they will drop the pricing back down to previous gen levels as well. I'm not too hopeful on that one, but could happen.

BTW, I'm having more trouble with my DI on my 540. I'm thinking mine may actually be faulty now. It seems to get to a point of causing a brightness pulsation, not just pumping. Need to test more, but pulling power to the unit seems to temporarily fix it. IIRC you gave up on yours which is why I'm mentioning it.

18481 - 18500 of 29566 Posts