AVS Forum banner

18501 - 18520 of 29489 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would wait a year or 2. Let JVC iterate on this new platform once or twice. That's my plan. Maybe they will drop the pricing back down to previous gen levels as well. I'm not too hopeful on that one, but could happen.

BTW, I'm having more trouble with my DI on my 540. I'm thinking mine may actually be faulty now. It seems to get to a point of causing a brightness pulsation, not just pumping. Need to test more, but pulling power to the unit seems to temporarily fix it. IIRC you gave up on yours which is why I'm mentioning it.
Sorry to hear that you are having issue, that is never fun!

Being new to JVC when I first purchased the X790 I really didn't know anything about the DI and how it worked. My first X790 did have a faulty DI that was stuck and not working so that was replaced. When I got my replacement I started noticing pumping on HDR material and worked with JVC and they also replaced that unit.

Now I am on my third X790 which I do not use the DI at all. I have my SDR set to -12 and my HDR set to -4 and just leave it that way and have been perfectly fine with it. I miss the fade to blacks but do not need to deal with the pumping.

Over time I have learned that the X790 can not use the DI in HDR without getting pumping. The steps between the DI are just to great and it is not fast enough to compensate for the quick dark to light scenes. For SDR material it will work fine but having the iris set to -4 or greater is just too much change for the DI to handle and that is why we see the pumping.

I am pretty sure this is the reason the new projectors have the DI set to be much less aggressive.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Auto HDR will work on both the 540 and nx5. They will automatically switch to HDR when the signal is fed to the projector.
Thanks, so if i basically watch a 1080p can the auto HDR be set to on? or does the auto HDR feature only work with 4k.
The auto HDR mode is always on and will only switch over when the projector is fed an HDR source.

If watching 1080 then it’s best to upscale the material to 4K before sending to the projector to get a better picture.

I use my Oppo to upscale my 1080-4K which engages the eShift on the 540 and will give you a noticeably sharper picture.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don’️t know if it works the same in the UK
It is a bit different over here I think, but I think you have 30 days from purchase where you have the right to demand a refund if the goods are supplied faulty - ie not fit for purpose - which would seem to be the case here.

In your case I would definitely want a replacement - I certainly wouldn't accept a repair - and if that's not possible, then an immediate refund and take your custom elsewhere.

That said, if you bought from a JVC dealer (you did didn't you??) then I'd fully expect they would do everything they possibly can to expedite your replacement.

I really feel for you - it's awful when you have such an expensive and important bit of kit arrive faulty, but I don't think there can be any question of that even from your fist pictures - you've been very patient but I think the time has come to demand some real customer service.

The very best of luck to you.
Thank you for your comments. I definitely will be pushing for a replacement. This one is so bad out of the box and because I paid for new I wouldn’t want a refurb.

It would be different if I had it for months but not new out of the box

Graham

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
... Now I am on my third X790 which I do not use the DI at all. I have my SDR set to -12 and my HDR set to -4 and just leave it that way and have been perfectly fine with it. I miss the fade to blacks but do not need to deal with the pumping.
Same here, loving DI off.

I also demonstrated some gamma processing artifacts when quickly coming out of black out to a bright scene. I copied Nigel on a test video clip for him to test on the nx series, but have not heard a follow up if the gamma processing artifact carried over to the new models.

This gamma processing artifact made DI unusable during client edit/viewing sessions.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having issue, that is never fun!

Being new to JVC when I first purchased the X790 I really didn't know anything about the DI and how it worked. My first X790 did have a faulty DI that was stuck and not working so that was replaced. When I got my replacement I started noticing pumping on HDR material and worked with JVC and they also replaced that unit.

Now I am on my third X790 which I do not use the DI at all. I have my SDR set to -12 and my HDR set to -4 and just leave it that way and have been perfectly fine with it. I miss the fade to blacks but do not need to deal with the pumping.

Over time I have learned that the X790 can not use the DI in HDR without getting pumping. The steps between the DI are just to great and it is not fast enough to compensate for the quick dark to light scenes. For SDR material it will work fine but having the iris set to -4 or greater is just too much change for the DI to handle and that is why we see the pumping.

I am pretty sure this is the reason the new projectors have the DI set to be much less aggressive.
I doubt it will resolve my issue, but I did a full factory reset a couple of days ago. It is weird, the issue I'm seeing didn't show up in the same scene last night when I tested. But doing a power down (unplugging) seems to do the same thing but doesn't last very long (few hours).

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
Thinking of the NX7, might get a good deal tomorrow, just a few questons:

1-is the price difference worth the jump from the NX5 to the NX7? i usually tend to sell my gear so think this will stay a max of 3 years with me.
2-any benefits for 4k res if mainly my movies are 1080p? i know i will get some as i am using madvr with a 2060 Nvidia 6GB Card.
3-any basic calibration recommendation for it? without any tools, or does it look good out of the box? i know it's a different setting in every room but just wondering.

Btw i have a 160 inch screen,more details in sig.

Thanks
If you're using madVR with NGU Sharp upscaling, you'll get a decent benefit from native 4K. You'll set your desktop to 3840x2160 and let madVR do the upscaling. I think it's superior to the studio fake 4K upscales they release (for resolution at least). For something you'll keep 3 years, I'd say yes to nx7 over nx5 for being worth it. You'll take a loss either way, but in 3 years I bet you still see a $1500 difference between the NX5 and NX7 on the resale.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
The new generation of projectors have a less aggressive DI so in turn you will get less pumping but ultimately less contrast. I think JVC has done this as they know the older generation had issue with HDR material and I am good with that. My viewpoint is that it will probably stay this way until they can somehow create a DI that works faster so it’s less noticeable.
Then they are misleading people by still advertising the same old 10x factor in dynamic contrast spec. They should be cutting that down since they've neutered the DI. I was one of those folks that was very unhappy with the way they neutered the DI on this series.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
I have warmed up the N5 just now and reset the pixel adjustment. I have attached some pictures showing how far it is out without any adjustment, surely it should be better than this from the factory so I wonder if it has taken a knock. I have then attached a photo after adjustment. I have also attached photos showing my final adjustments.

You can see why the blue needs a lot of fine adjustment because it is much further away from the green than the red is.

I forgot at the time but afterwards I held a piece of paper up to the screen and confirmed that my screen is holding back the sharpness slightly. I suppose this is to be expected with the paper being smooth and the "filmex" screen (a type of Spandex) being acoustically transparent.

To recap from earlier posts. The first time I turned on the N5 was after it was ceiling mounted. It was set for right side up and the menu was looking good. It was when I inverted the picture to Ceiling F in the menu that the convergence went completely out of whack. After resetting it just now I inverted it again after the pixels had been reset (from the menu) and it was way out both ways up.

Rather than ask directly for a replacement (initially anyway) I will contact the seller and JVC with my photos and see what they say.
This looks pretty terrible to me. I couldn't keep that projector.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
If you're using madVR with NGU Sharp upscaling, you'll get a decent benefit from native 4K. You'll set your desktop to 3840x2160 and let madVR do the upscaling. I think it's superior to the studio fake 4K upscales they release (for resolution at least). For something you'll keep 3 years, I'd say yes to nx7 over nx5 for being worth it. You'll take a loss either way, but in 3 years I bet you still see a $1500 difference between the NX5 and NX7 on the resale.
It's been a while since I messed around with MadVR, which I used in conjunction to Kodi and a JVC X500R. I guess MadVR now does HDR? Are you using Kodi? Which Windows version are you using so you can output in HDR? It seems like HDR in Windows 10 is still a huge headache.

I wouldn't mind giving MadVR another try, so if you could give me some pointers or even a nudge towards a good tutorial, I would greatly appreciate it. You can PM me if you want, so we don't clog up this thread with MadVR chatter. =)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dust particles on the lens of my NX7 seem to be fused on there from the heat. You can see the white dots to the left side of the beam. I tried using a Giottos small air blower but they are definitely stuck there. I'm afraid to touch the lens using a wipe or anything. Suggestions anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

·
Vendor
26,659 Posts
When I upgraded from a Runco LS-1 to the JVC X790 I can say without a doubt that it was a massive upgrade! Upgrading from an X790 to an RS2000 will be an upgrade in most every way but it will not be a massive upgrade.
The HDR impovements are pretty massive.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Dust particles on the lens of my NX7 seem to be fused on there from the heat. You can see the white dots to the left side of the beam. I tried using a Giottos small air blower but they are definitely stuck there. I'm afraid to touch the lens using a wipe or anything. Suggestions anyone?
Don't panic! There's no way dust is fused to the lens, it's just static.

So just get a good quality, clean, dry, micro-fibre cloth and give it a quick flick over. Or a decent lens brush.

You'll never get rid of all the dust off a lens and it always looks worse on a PJ lens because it has light squirting through it. But don't stress over it, it'll never make a difference to the image (within limits of course!!).

Mine fires through projector port glass so I've got 3 surfaces dust can gather - If I look up at it while it's on I can of course see a few speckles, and of course there's always dust in the air, particularly if the AC is on, but I'm always amazed how clean all the surfaces actually are when I climb up to clean it which I've done maybe 3 times since I installed this particular pj in 2016.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
He did see the RS2000, but apparently it wasn't set up optimally or wasn't displaying the better quality sources.
I know he did, but that does not make what I said not true. I said most and he saw it with a crappy source and I bet it had not been updated to 3.1 firmware either. If the place he viewed it at did not even bother to provide a UHD BD player for source, you know they did not bother to update the firmware.

·
Registered
28,796 Posts
Arrived Friday, installed Saturday. Problem showed up immediately after I selected Ceiling F from the menu to turn the picture the right way up. It seemed ok until I flipped the picture.

I want a replacement but the seller says it needs to go to JVC UK first for testing
JVC will look at it and if the problem is the projector, they will quickly send you a replacement. If it is setup, as in you have some locked settings into installation mode, then they will undo what you have done. I think you will get a new projector, but based on everything I have read here, I would want to look at it also, if I was JVC, because it does not make sense flipping installation style changing convergence, if all adjustments are zeroed out.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I know he did, but that does not make what I said not true. I said most and he saw it with a crappy source and I bet it had not been updated to 3.1 firmware either. If the place he viewed it at did not even bother to provide a UHD BD player for source, you know they did not bother to update the firmware.
I wonder how many retail stores in the US are currently demo'ing any of these new JVC projectors!? Can't be many, but of those, I'd wager good money that a fraction of a percent are set-up with the care that many on the forum put into it. Heck, I wouldn't even dare to draw any conclusions unless the screen fabric is close to as good as mine and the front of the room has black velvet.

·
Registered
920 Posts
He did see the RS2000, but apparently it wasn't set up optimally or wasn't displaying the better quality sources.
The firmware was updated to 3.1 as I asked before I went and confirmed while playing around with the menus. This is one of the main things I wanted to see and try. Just figured they would have good source material on hand. No idea why they don’t as they could sell the projector much easier if they showed off what it could really do.

I did have it setup to frame adapt mode and viewed it best I could with Netflix HDR. I pretty much setup the projector as I would have it on my theatre. However the stream just looked horrible as they probably have to many feeds going on in the store.

Really I would need to see movies that I know well to really see what’s the DTM could do. For instance I know the 4K version of Doctor Strange shows very dim on my setup. I’d be curious to know how it shows with DTM.

The Meg is another unwatchable 4K movie on my setup. It’s just way to bright and blown out in certain areas.

Maybe if they had it setup properly and I was blown away by the DTM I may have a different view point at this moment.

Again, I am not denying it would be better. But for myself I have to make sure the upgrade is worth the cost. The X790 is still probably one of the best projectors on the market and that makes it a little bit harder to make the upgrade.

18501 - 18520 of 29489 Posts