AVS Forum banner

18521 - 18540 of 29526 Posts

·
Registered
28,809 Posts
Shouldn’t JVC Advanced RMA get you a replacement right away before even sending it in?
That is JVC's option to look at the projector, even here in the US. I usually ask my customers to perform a few test and then get the results to JVC. Then if JVC wants any more tests done, have the customer perform those. Usually JVC is able to determine if the problem is due to a defective projector or not.

·
Registered
28,809 Posts
Thanks for the help.

if i go for the 540 or the nx5 will they have issues lightning up my screen? since it's big.

Also if i want auto HDR will that only work with 4k sources on the nx5?
The NX5/RS1000 will do a little better with HDR, due to the DTM. As for SDR, they should be the same.

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
I wonder how many retail stores in the US are currently demo'ing any of these new JVC projectors!? Can't be many, but of those, I'd wager good money that a fraction of a percent are set-up with the care that many on the forum put into it. Heck, I wouldn't even dare to draw any conclusions unless the screen fabric is close to as good as mine and the front of the room has black velvet.
Back when I used to shop locally for a projector, I could not find a store with a decent projector demo. That includes the Sony Store in New York City and SIM2 dealers in the San Francisco bay area. The only demos I've personally seen that were worth seeing were at Cedia and CES. And even then there are frequently shortcomings and limitations. There are probably a few decent store demos, but they are few and very far between.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The firmware was updated to 3.1 as I asked before I went and confirmed while playing around with the menus. This is one of the main things I wanted to see and try. Just figured they would have good source material on hand. No idea why they don’t as they could sell the projector much easier if they showed off what it could really do.

I did have it setup to frame adapt mode and viewed it best I could with Netflix HDR. I pretty much setup the projector as I would have it on my theatre. However the stream just looked horrible as they probably have to many feeds going on in the store.

Really I would need to see movies that I know well to really see what’s the DTM could do. For instance I know the 4K version of Doctor Strange shows very dim on my setup. I’d be curious to know how it shows with DTM.

The Meg is another unwatchable 4K movie on my setup. It’s just way to bright and blown out in certain areas.

Maybe if they had it setup properly and I was blown away by the DTM I may have a different view point at this moment.

Again, I am not denying it would be better. But for myself I have to make sure the upgrade is worth the cost. The X790 is still probably one of the best projectors on the market and that makes it a little bit harder to make the upgrade.

The upgrade is definitely "worth" it...However I would define "worth" as maximizing the dollar value on the sale of your 790 and minimizing the out of pocket spend for the native 4k model...

·
Registered
28,809 Posts
The firmware was updated to 3.1 as I asked before I went and confirmed while playing around with the menus. This is one of the main things I wanted to see and try. Just figured they would have good source material on hand. No idea why they don’t as they could sell the projector much easier if they showed off what it could really do.

I did have it setup to frame adapt mode and viewed it best I could with Netflix HDR. I pretty much setup the projector as I would have it on my theatre. However the stream just looked horrible as they probably have to many feeds going on in the store.

Really I would need to see movies that I know well to really see what’s the DTM could do. For instance I know the 4K version of Doctor Strange shows very dim on my setup. I’d be curious to know how it shows with DTM.

The Meg is another unwatchable 4K movie on my setup. It’s just way to bright and blown out in certain areas.

Maybe if they had it setup properly and I was blown away by the DTM I may have a different view point at this moment.

Again, I am not denying it would be better. But for myself I have to make sure the upgrade is worth the cost. The X790 is still probably one of the best projectors on the market and that makes it a little bit harder to make the upgrade.
Yes, I am sure the splitting of the feed made it pretty crappy, because streaming Netflix looks good on my JVC. Also DTM makes The Meg look good.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I wonder how many retail stores in the US are currently demo'ing any of these new JVC projectors!? Can't be many, but of those, I'd wager good money that a fraction of a percent are set-up with the care that many on the forum put into it. Heck, I wouldn't even dare to draw any conclusions unless the screen fabric is close to as good as mine and the front of the room has black velvet.
Back when I used to shop locally for a projector, I could not find a store with a decent projector demo. That includes the Sony Store in New York City and SIM2 dealers in the San Francisco bay area. The only demos I've personally seen that were worth seeing were at Cedia and CES. And even then there are frequently shortcomings and limitations. There are probably a few decent store demos, but they are few and very far between.
The store I visited has a what I would call a well above average room for viewing the projector.

It’s painted dark and has a Stewart scope acoustic film screen. Now the projector is not calibrated but you can tweak it till your hearts content.

For members on this forum it works well as we generally know a bit about using and setting up the projector we are buying. For the general public who are buying these projectors it’s not great as they will not initially see what the projector is capable of. But in the end they aren’t as picky as we would be and would be more then happy with what they see.

But they should spend a few hours and calibrate the projector. Makes no sense to me why they don’t ???

·
Registered
108 Posts
Got my N7 about a month ago. It was pre calibrated to BT.709.

I use madvr to tonemapping and it looks really good. But is it the correct way to do it?

My room is a dedicated room and is a totally black batcave. I got a pretty big 2.39:1 AT screen. 4 meter wide (171"). The projector is 6,5 meter away from the screen.

The reason for BT.709 is that the guy who calibrated said DCI-P3 take to much light. So that is off a Iris is fully open.

But would do you guys do? And what would you recommend med to do?

Another question. If I wan't to know how many nits I got. Can anyone recommend a good way to measure it.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
The reason for BT.709 is that the guy who calibrated said DCI-P3 take to much light. So that is off a Iris is fully open.

You can still use the HDR Color Profile to get wide gamut, without losing the light output.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The firmware was updated to 3.1 as I asked before I went and confirmed while playing around with the menus. This is one of the main things I wanted to see and try. Just figured they would have good source material on hand. No idea why they don’️t as they could sell the projector much easier if they showed off what it could really do.

Really I would need to see movies that I know well to really see what’️s the DTM could do. For instance I know the 4K version of Doctor Strange shows very dim on my setup. I’️d be curious to know how it shows with DTM.

The Meg is another unwatchable 4K movie on my setup. It’️s just way to bright and blown out in certain areas.

The upgrade is definitely "worth" it...However I would define "worth" as maximizing the dollar value on the sale of your 790 and minimizing the out of pocket spend for the native 4k model...
Agreed. If I could sell my X790 for a good value then the upgrade becomes easier. At the moment it would be the full amount of the new projector out of pocket.

Projectors just aren’t that easy to sell as it’s a niche market and can take time. Other things sell very quickly. I just sold an Apple 4K TV yesterday within 25 mins of posting it. Much different price ranges but just an example.

·
Registered
28,809 Posts
Got my N7 about a month ago. It was pre calibrated to BT.709.

I use madvr to tonemapping and it looks really good. But is it the correct way to do it?

My room is a dedicated room and is a totally black batcave. I got a pretty big 2.39:1 AT screen. 4 meter wide (171"). The projector is 6,5 meter away from the screen.

Another question. If I wan't to know how many nits I got. Can anyone recommend a good way to measure it.
The guy may know how to calibrate, but he does not know what he was doing, regarding HDR with a JVC. You can use the HDR mode and get extended gamut coverage without losing any light. Also the filter only costs you around 8%. What size and gain screen do you have? Is the projector on 3.1 firmware? Is DTM set up in the projector?

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Back when I used to shop locally for a projector, I could not find a store with a decent projector demo. That includes the Sony Store in New York City and SIM2 dealers in the San Francisco bay area. The only demos I've personally seen that were worth seeing were at Cedia and CES. And even then there are frequently shortcomings and limitations.

There are probably a few decent store demos, but they are few and very far between.
Craig,

Here in Nashville, TN. there was actual Brick & Mortar high-end A/V Stores.
That was before the economy went to crap and I think that was around maybe 2008 time frame.
Back then when I did the 1st Major H/T Up-Grades I actually went in person and saw what I was purchasing for both Audio & Video.
They had Demo Rooms for different levels of gear for Audio & Video.
And when I say higher-end I'm being serious .............
Moving forward to how things are now and have been for a lot of years for A/V B & M Stores.
There are none really that are anything remotely close to what use to be.
That's why I had such a hard/difficult time on the final decision between the Sony ES5000 versus the JVC RS4500 Laser Projectors.
When a Middle-Class income person/family is looking at the cost on some A/V gear and No-Way possible to actually see it.
It becomes a {Nightmare} !!!

I'm now and have been looking into adding at some point in the future Atmos.
Once again it's an exact repeat to the above I described.
And as far as AVS and advice from members there is an abundance of that and it goes from simple to extreme.

I feel :( sorry for a new comer to the Home Theater if they don't live where they can actually go in person to a professional Retail A/V Store.

Terry

·
Registered
28,809 Posts
Craig,

Here in Nashville, TN. there was actual Brick & Mortar high-end A/V Stores.
That was before the economy went to crap and I think that was around maybe 2008 time frame.
Back then when I did the 1st Major H/T Up-Grades I actually went in person and saw what I was purchasing for both Audio & Video.
They have Demo Rooms for different levels of gear for Audio & Video.
And when I say higher-end I'm being serious .............
Moving forward to how things are now and have been for a lot of years for A/V B & M Stores.
There are none really that are anything remotely close to what use to be.
That's why I had such a hard/difficult time on the final decision between the Sony ES5000 versus the JVC RS4500 Laser Projectors.
When a Middle-Class income person/family is looking at the cost on some A/V gear and No-Way possible to actually see it.
It becomes a {Nightmare} !!!

I'm now and have been looking into adding at some point in the future Atmos.
Once again it's an exact repeat to the above I described.
And as far as AVS and advise from members there is an abundance of that and it goes from simple to extreme.

I feel :( sorry for a new comer to the Home Theater if they don't live where they can actually go in person to a professional Retail A/V Store.

Terry
Hopefully they are smart enough to do some research and find a forum where they can learn a little bit.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Agreed. If I could sell my X790 for a good value then the upgrade becomes easier. At the moment it would be the full amount of the new projector out of pocket.

Projectors just aren’t that easy to sell as it’s a niche market and can take time. Other things sell very quickly. I just sold an Apple 4K TV yesterday within 25 mins of posting it. Much different price ranges but just an example.
Not breaking any forum rules by discussing pricing but is there a dollar value in the difference between your 790 and new pj that comes to mind where u would say "Hey, that's worth the upgrade"?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Arrived Friday, installed Saturday. Problem showed up immediately after I selected Ceiling F from the menu to turn the picture the right way up. It seemed ok until I flipped the picture.

I want a replacement but the seller says it needs to go to JVC UK first for testing
JVC will look at it and if the problem is the projector, they will quickly send you a replacement. If it is setup, as in you have some locked settings into installation mode, then they will undo what you have done. I think you will get a new projector, but based on everything I have read here, I would want to look at it also, if I was JVC, because it does not make sense flipping installation style changing convergence, if all adjustments are zeroed out.
Shouldn’️t JVC Advanced RMA get you a replacement right away before even sending it in?
That is JVC's option to look at the projector, even here in the US. I usually ask my customers to perform a few test and then get the results to JVC. Then if JVC wants any more tests done, have the customer perform those. Usually JVC is able to determine if the problem is due to a defective projector or not.
I am ok with them looking at it. I am also ok with them asking me to do some tests first. I would rather avoid sending it back if it is a simple fix. However JVC haven’t made any suggestions. My reply from them just says refer to dealer and asked me for the serial number

Edit : I think I will do what you suggested Mike and reset all the settings after taking note of some of them. Can the settings be backed up like you can with some amps?

·
Registered
28,809 Posts
Not breaking any forum rules by discussing pricing but is there a dollar value in the difference between your 790 and new pj that comes to mind where u would say "Hey, that's worth the upgrade"?
Only if you are using MSRP. Street pricing will get your post deleted and maybe a warning, if the mods see it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't panic! There's no way dust is fused to the lens, it's just static.

So just get a good quality, clean, dry, micro-fibre cloth and give it a quick flick over. Or a decent lens brush.

You'll never get rid of all the dust off a lens and it always looks worse on a PJ lens because it has light squirting through it. But don't stress over it, it'll never make a difference to the image (within limits of course!!).

Mine fires through projector port glass so I've got 3 surfaces dust can gather - If I look up at it while it's on I can of course see a few speckles, and of course there's always dust in the air, particularly if the AC is on, but I'm always amazed how clean all the surfaces actually are when I climb up to clean it which I've done maybe 3 times since I installed this particular pj in 2016.
Thanks for the re-assurance! Yes I am panicking! I have a microfiber cloth and a camel-hair brush I'll try tonight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I picked up a spyderx pro and did a gamma only calibration last night. I do notice a difference, but it's not "OMG that's amazing". I guess it was pretty good to begin with. But I am confused about what exactly a calibration applies to.

On the one hand the document seems to indicate that a calibration is for a combination of picture mode, filter and lamp. I think selecting the "filter" is not an RS1000 feature so I only have Picture Mode and Lamp. However, it says I cannot select the Frame Adapt picture mode and after that it says " Calibration does not work in Frame Adapt HDR mode. Set to another Picture Mode and calibrate using the same Aperture, Lamp Power and Filter settings." This seems to imply that calibrating in one Picture Mode will affect others. I've read the av science site which is currently down and it still wasn't clear to me. Can anyone explain?

steve

·
Registered
6,862 Posts

It doesn't help that part of the marketing to drive new unit sales includes denigrating the previous generation, even when the differences may be small or a mixed bag.

The other side of the coin, a smart shopper can snag a great performing last gen projector, for a great price. :wink:

·
Registered
108 Posts
The guy may know how to calibrate, but he does not know what he was doing, regarding HDR with a JVC. You can use the HDR mode and get extended gamut coverage without losing any light. Also the filter only costs you around 8%. What size and gain screen do you have? Is the projector on 3.1 firmware? Is DTM set up in the projector?

@Mike And @Dominic Chan thanks for answer.

Not sure he knows what he is doing regarding HDR on the JVC.

I have a Dreamscreen ultraweave V6 pro XXL with a gain on 0,81.

Have not yet upgraded the firmware to 3.10. Will do it this weekend. that's also why I start asking now to know what to do to fully use my N7.
As I wrote I use Madvr to tonemapping UHD now. God a RTX 2080 in my HTPC.

But need a little help with HDR color profile and what to do.

·
Registered
28,809 Posts
It doesn't help that part of the marketing to drive new unit sales includes denigrating the previous generation, even when the differences may be small or a mixed bag.

The other side of the coin, a smart shopper can snag a great performing last gen projector, for a great price. :wink:
What dealers are denigrating the previous generation? Care to provide any links? I have seen several posters, not dealers talk about the improvements they saw, going from an E-shift to one of the new JVC's with DTM, but I don't know how you classify that as marketing. Talking about seeing improvements in no way denigrates the E-shift projectors. The E-shift projectors are excellent projectors, but innovation does not stand still.

18521 - 18540 of 29526 Posts