AVS Forum banner

18541 - 18560 of 29568 Posts

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
It doesn't help that part of the marketing to drive new unit sales includes denigrating the previous generation, even when the differences may be small or a mixed bag.

The other side of the coin, a smart shopper can snag a great performing last gen projector, for a great price. :wink:
It’s hard to sell a used projector without a big depreciation, especially in the last year when JVC had a huge price drop on the remaining e-shift models while introducing the native 4K models.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It doesn't help that part of the marketing to drive new unit sales includes denigrating the previous generation, even when the differences may be small or a mixed bag.

The other side of the coin, a smart shopper can snag a great performing last gen projector, for a great price.
What dealers are denigrating the previous generation? Care to provide any links? I have seen several posters, not dealers talk about the improvements they saw, going from an E-shift to one of the new JVC's with DTM, but I don't know how you classify that as marketing. Talking about seeing improvements in no way denigrates the E-shift projectors. The E-shift projectors are excellent projectors, but innovation does not stand still.
I just see a newer projector that can do things that mine can not. I then in turn want it, I don’t need it but I sure want it.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Really I would need to see movies that I know well to really see what’s the DTM could do. For instance I know the 4K version of Doctor Strange shows very dim on my setup. I’d be curious to know how it shows with DTM.
I can't speak to The Meg, but Doctor Strange on UHD 4K disc looks excellent with DTM.

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
because it does not make sense flipping installation style changing convergence, if all adjustments are zeroed out.
I don’t have an NX, but the previous models also have a pixel adjustment option in the Service Menu. Changes made there will not show in the normal pixel adjust screen.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Really I would need to see movies that I know well to really see what’️s the DTM could do. For instance I know the 4K version of Doctor Strange shows very dim on my setup. I’️d be curious to know how it shows with DTM.
I can't speak to The Meg, but Doctor Strange on UHD 4K disc looks excellent with DTM.
You guys are making it harder and harder for me to not want to upgrade. Lol

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
You guys are making it harder and harder for me to not want to upgrade. Lol
I just have to look at my bank account, whenever I’m tempted to upgrade.

·
Registered
28,836 Posts
I just see a newer projector that can do things that mine can not. I then in turn want it, I don’t need it but I sure want it.
It is nearly that way with everything. You just have to pick and choose what you can do or want to do, because most of us can't buy everything we would like to have. :)

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I don’t have an NX, but the previous models also have a pixel adjustment option in the Service Menu. Changes made there will not show in the normal pixel adjust screen.
Dom, is that a service menu or factory menu? I don't recall seeing convergence when once looked at the servi of e menu on the rs520, but I may have over looked it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Dom, is that a service menu or factory menu? I don't recall seeing convergence when once looked at the servi of e menu on the rs520, but I may have over looked it.
It's in the service menu of my 540 along with another menu item that displays a convergence grid. I saw it the other day when I decided to do a factory reset.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
It's in the service menu of my 540 along with another menu item that displays a convergence grid. I saw it the other day when I decided to do a factory reset.
Thanks, talon, please PM me the service mode remote codes. I'd like to take another look. :grin:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Arrived Friday, installed Saturday. Problem showed up immediately after I selected Ceiling F from the menu to turn the picture the right way up. It seemed ok until I flipped the picture.

I want a replacement but the seller says it needs to go to JVC UK first for testing

Sorry not trying to stir up issues but if you had it only a few days, and that is the issue you were having, i would definitely return the projector. Your dealer should have offered that. They can deal with JVC on whether they want it replaced for their stock or if they want to wait to have it "bench tested".

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
I wonder how many retail stores in the US are currently demo'ing any of these new JVC projectors!? Can't be many, but of those, I'd wager good money that a fraction of a percent are set-up with the care that many on the forum put into it. Heck, I wouldn't even dare to draw any conclusions unless the screen fabric is close to as good as mine and the front of the room has black velvet.
Stores, very few. Dealers with home theaters of there own with at least one projector, many dealers do this.......

---If you want to see one before you buy, state where you live and if anyone on here is in your area, you might be invited to take a look ;)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Stores, very few. Dealers with home theaters of there own with at least one projector, many dealers do this.......
If there are 10 dealers in the USA where I can get a demo that matches or beats my own home theater for image quality, then I'd be surprised. They'd have to be familiar with, and have on hand, quite a bit of UHD physical disc content. The room would have to be at least partly light treated. The screen size would have to relate to the seating position. Genuine professional ISF calibration. And on and on. And on.

It's not hard, but there's a reason why enthusiasts do things a certain way. I know for sure and certain that I can give someone a fair impression of what the RS600 can do. I will show 4K scan 35mm. 2K upscale. Modern digital shot. Large format film such as 2001. An 80 years old 3 strip technicolor. Traditional animation. CAPS animation. Modern animation.

Reactions: catav

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Thanks for the re-assurance! Yes I am panicking! I have a microfiber cloth and a camel-hair brush I'll try tonight.
Seriously, don't stress, and don't expect to get every mote of dust off the lens - you never will. Just give it a flick over every few months or so and it'll all be good.

·
Registered
920 Posts
When I upgraded from a Runco LS-1 to the JVC X790 I can say without a doubt that it was a massive upgrade! Upgrading from an X790 to an RS2000 will be an upgrade in most every way but it will not be a massive upgrade.
The HDR impovements are pretty massive.
Looks like I will find out for myself. Just got an offer I couldn’t refuse. Will be purchasing one later today and should have a new NX7 within the next week or two.

Does it use the same mount as the X790?

Do I need to worry about the throw distance? Will it be similar to the X790?

·
Premium Member
9,840 Posts
Looks like I will find out for myself. Just got an offer I couldn’t refuse. Will be purchasing one later today and should have a new NX7 within the next week or two.

Congrats :)

Let us know how you get on... I think you will really enjoy it.

·
aka jfinnie
4,242 Posts

The required throw distance if you've got a 16:9 screen, or don't want to use pixel scaling is a bit longer for equivalent screen size, so if you are already running out of zoom with X790 you might need to move the projector further back. If you're prepared to scale the 3840 UHD res up to 4096 width and can fit your screen within the 17:9 native panel aspect (ie screen 17:9 or greater) then the throw for a given width is the same as X790 (give or take unit-to-unit variation).

It has the same mounting centres as the X790 but is a fair bit heavier, so just worth checking the mount over while the old one is down.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Looks like I will find out for myself. Just got an offer I couldn’️t refuse. Will be purchasing one later today and should have a new NX7 within the next week or two.

The required throw distance if you've got a 16:9 screen, or don't want to use pixel scaling is a bit longer for equivalent screen size, so if you are already running out of zoom with X790 you might need to move the projector further back. If you're prepared to scale the 3840 UHD res up to 4096 width and can fit your screen within the 17:9 native panel aspect (ie screen 17:9 or greater) then the throw for a given width is the same as X790 (give or take unit-to-unit variation).

It has the same mounting centres as the X790 but is a fair bit heavier, so just worth checking the mount over while the old one is down.
I do have a16x9, 100” screen. Right now I am sitting at around 17’ for my throw distance with my X790 so I believe I should be good.

18541 - 18560 of 29568 Posts