AVS Forum banner

18561 - 18580 of 29398 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I do have a16x9, 100” screen. Right now I am sitting at around 17’ for my throw distance with my X790 so I believe I should be good.
I throw a 135" 16x9 from that distance and could probably go to a 140" or a bit bigger.... So ya, you will be fine lol

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Tried connecting my old Darbee Darblet to my RS1000's HDMI 2 to sharpen DVD playback. As soon as I did, the RS1000 said that it had nothing coming into HDMI 1!

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
Tried connecting my old Darbee Darblet to my RS1000's HDMI 2 to sharpen DVD playback. As soon as I did, the RS1000 said that it had nothing coming into HDMI 1!
You're watching DVD's still? On a 4K projector ? :eek:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
You're watching DVD's still? On a 4K projector ? :eek:
Well there's some stuff that hasn't been updated or hasn't been released. True Lies and The Abyss pop to mind. Though supposedly "The King of the World" has blessed at least The Abyss for a new release (hopefully 4K and not just Blu Ray).

We always watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Cut on DVD when doing a Trek Marathon (the Blu is only theatrical). Hopefully it sees a 4K release soon. But it's watchable. Not great by any stretch, but you do what you have to.

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
Well there's some stuff that hasn't been updated or hasn't been released. True Lies and The Abyss pop to mind. Though supposedly "The King of the World" has blessed at least The Abyss for a new release (hopefully 4K and not just Blu Ray).

We always watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Cut on DVD when doing a Trek Marathon (the Blu is only theatrical). Hopefully it sees a 4K release soon. But it's watchable. Not great by any stretch, but you do what you have to.
I was poking a little fun. But seriously - I replaced them all in my collection with Blu-rays / 4K. Watching DVD's in my theater is a bit like running a race car on cheap watered down gas. And even if some things aren't out in 1080p or 4K yet, I still have a backlog of shows and movies that will take me weeks to watch.

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
Looks like I will find out for myself. Just got an offer I couldn’t refuse. Will be purchasing one later today and should have a new NX7 within the next week or two.

Does it use the same mount as the X790?

Do I need to worry about the throw distance? Will it be similar to the X790?
Lets us know what you think, once you get it dialed in. Yes, same mount. :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
You're watching DVD's still? On a 4K projector ? /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

And Deep Space 9 may never be released even on Blu-ray. I finally tracked down the movie adaptation of the play Copenhagen, about the controversial meeting between Heisenberg and Nils Bohr during WWII, on DVD, which includes a "first light" moment when they realize that a nuclear bomb really was possible. I want to see that in ny theater.

So does anyone know why HDMI 1 stops working as soon as a 1080p signal is plugged into HDMI 2?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry not trying to stir up issues but if you had it only a few days, and that is the issue you were having, i would definitely return the projector. Your dealer should have offered that. They can deal with JVC on whether they want it replaced for their stock or if they want to wait to have it "bench tested".
Yes I have had it a few days but it was actually like it the very first time it was turned on and flipped for ceiling mounting. The dealer is saying it needs to go to JVC for testing before a decision is made.

I do want a brand new one not a repair or refurb but I’ll wait and see what they say

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
And Deep Space 9 may never be released even on Blu-ray. I finally tracked down the movie adaptation of the play Copenhagen, about the controversial meeting between Heisenberg and Nils Bohr during WWII, on DVD, which includes a "first light" moment when they realize that a nuclear bomb really was possible. I want to see that in ny theater.

So does anyone know why HDMI 1 stops working as soon as a 1080p signal is plugged into HDMI 2?
Do you have a 4K source being sent to one HDMI port and a 1080p signal being sent to the other HDMI port at the same time ?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I never liked what Darbee did with Lcos projectors...DLP, I thought, was a different story. You might want to experiment with a player that does the best upscaling for those DVDs.

I was poking a little fun.
...all in good fun.

Phil, it may just be auto-switching. But I wouldn't "hot plug" anything into the projector. I've heard stories where surges had blown out HDMI ports on other models.

As far as DVDs on the NX5, how do they look without the Darbee. I'm just asking because I'm of the school of thought (if there is one) that the "silver screen" can make good content look better and bad content look worse. I'm with Craig, but I would probably watch DVDs on a television.

Ehhh, what I would do doesn't really matter anyway because if it works for you, that's what counts.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Yes I have had it a few days but it was actually like it the very first time it was turned on and flipped for ceiling mounting. The dealer is saying it needs to go to JVC for testing before a decision is made.

I do want a brand new one not a repair or refurb but I’ll wait and see what they say
Graham, if you turn the projector upside down without flipping the image using the menu, do you experience the same extreme divergence as when you flip it using the software?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

Do you have a 4K source being sent to one HDMI port and a 1080p signal being sent to the other HDMI port at the same time ?
No program being played on either - HDMI 1 showing the AVR's wallpaper at 4K, and as soon as a cable from the Darbee (a 1080p device fed by the AVR's second output) is plugged into the RS1000's HDMI 2, the RS1000 blue-screens and says, in the upper right corner "HDMI 1 No input." I don't think that I was able to switch to HDMI 2.

I didn't try unplugging HDMI 1.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
No program being played on either - HDMI 1 showing the AVR's wallpaper at 4K, and as soon as a cable from the Darbee (a 1080p device fed by the AVR's second output) is plugged into the RS1000's HDMI 2, the RS1000 blue-screens and says, in the upper right corner "HDMI 1 No input." I don't think that I was able to switch to HDMI 2.

I didn't try unplugging HDMI 1.
It sounds like it's trying to auto-switch to HDMI 2 but a trip up due to handshake re: cable/darbee at port 2.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
It sounds like it's trying to auto-switch to HDMI 2 but a trip up due to handshake re: cable/darbee at port 2.
The JVC doesn’t have auto-switch feature. If HDMI 1 says “No Input” the cause is more likely the receiver stops sending over Output 1, when Output 2 is connected.

·
Registered
172 Posts

I do want a brand new one not a repair or refurb but I’️ll wait and see what they say
Graham, if you turn the projector upside down without flipping the image using the menu, do you experience the same extreme divergence as when you flip it using the software?
I think I was asked that before. I haven’t tried that because it was already ceiling mounted when I tried it.

To recap, when I first turned it on which was after ceiling mount the image was upside down and looked good. As soon as I flipped it in the menu it was way out. I took the first photo of if in both orientations.

During my tests over the next few days I reset the pixels and found it to be way out either way up and requires extreme adjustment to get it anywhere near ok.

Going back over the photos I think the sharpest photo is of the very first upside down image, it just seems a bit more blurry in all my recent photos after setting it up.

The next step is to write down all my settings and do a factory reset. Once I prove that this doesn’t work I will take it down for returning. Out of curiosity I will try it the right way up once I have done that

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey guys,

If I’m doing basic settings on my nx7 for sdr bt709 using the Spears and Munsil disk, would you set manual iris to wide open or leave it set at the position you are likely going to be using it for regular viewing. Thanks!

Ron

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hey guys,

If I’m doing basic settings on my nx7 for sdr bt709 using the Spears and Munsil disk, would you set manual iris to wide open or leave it set at the position you are likely going to be using it for regular viewing. Thanks!

Ron
I believe you want to leave it set at the position that you will use for regular viewing.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hey guys,

Ron
I believe you want to leave it set at the position that you will use for regular viewing.
How is the black level set on the NX7 for the HDR mode?

For my X790 I used the Arve tool to upload my custom curves and then used to bbo command to change my black levels while using a black clipping pattern.

18561 - 18580 of 29398 Posts