AVS Forum banner

19141 - 19160 of 29198 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm watching Disney+ through a 2019 Roku Ultra and while the 4K HDR video is wonderful, everything is coming through as 5.1 DD or at best DD+, so my Yamaha RX-3070 is using the Dolby Surround Upmixer, though it does fine decoding Atmos and DTS:X from disks and getting DD+ Atmos from VUDU and Apple TV+ via the Roku.

How are you folks getting Atmos from Disney+? Before I set up my new theater, I bought a Amazon Fire TV that I haven't unpacked yet, since I've now been able to get the full Amazon Music service through the Roku. Does the Fire TV get Atmos from Disney+?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I thought the DTM handled the 4K HDR stream of The Mandalorian very well last night through an Apple TV and Gigabit internet. Using Auto and FBF.

This show is incredibly cinematic and the roughly 10 million dollar per episode is on full display. It is presented in 2.35 and takes advantage of that AR with some jaw dropping wide shots. I saw zero banding. But, I did see incredibly deep blacks. The detail was outstanding. I was very impressed and this is coming from someone who would buy a physical copy over streaming any day. So if you are looking for something worthy of your new JVC then give it a whirl.

Good to hear.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'm watching Disney+ through a 2019 Roku Ultra and while the 4K HDR video is wonderful, everything is coming through as 5.1 DD or at best DD+, so my Yamaha RX-3070 is using the Dolby Surround Upmixer, though it does fine decoding Atmos and DTS:X from disks and getting DD+ Atmos from VUDU and Apple TV+ via the Roku.

How are you folks getting Atmos from Disney+? Before I set up my new theater, I bought a Amazon Fire TV that I haven't unpacked yet, since I've now been able to get the full Amazon Music service through the Roku. Does the Fire TV get Atmos from Disney+?
No issues here with a Roku Ultra. My biggest gripe is there's no MaxCLL and MaxFALL information being sent, so the Auto setting on Tone Mapping doesn't work very well. Anyone else have an issue?

·
Registered
427 Posts
No issues here with a Roku Ultra. My biggest gripe is there's no MaxCLL and MaxFALL information being sent, so the Auto setting on Tone Mapping doesn't work very well. Anyone else have an issue?
Dave, when you say no issues, are you saying that you ARE getting ATMOS from Disney+ via the Roku Ultra?

·
Vendor
26,593 Posts
Yes, I watched Star Wars: A new Hope last night. Spectacular quality 4k HDR and Dolby Atmos sound track. I couldn't believe how well this turned out. Can't wait to stream the new Mandalorian series about the Star Wars Bounty Hunters. This should be spectacular considering it is all 4k from the ground up. I think Disney has a real hit here with Disney+ streaming service. The seamless integration with the Apple TV App works great as well.
I will tell you to date, my favorite Star Wars movie is "Solo" .

·
Registered
5,063 Posts

Hi Dave I’ve streamed material off Apple TV without meta data running dtm on auto and it’s been fine 🙂

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Dave, when you say no issues, are you saying that you ARE getting ATMOS from Disney+ via the Roku Ultra?
Yes...sorry I wasn't more clear. No problems with Atmos. The podrace scene in Episode One is quite good.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hi Dave I’ve streamed material off Apple TV without meta data running dtm on auto and it’s been fine 🙂
It looks too dark to my eyes, especially in backgrounds. Putting the lamp on high and changing DTM to High from Auto really helped a lot.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
@;
It looks too dark to my eyes, especially in backgrounds. Putting the lamp on high and changing DTM to High from Auto really helped a lot.
thats curious Dave, always the case ? I thought you ran a screen o the smaller size like me :) though could be something about the particular material...

·
Premium Member
There is a few things in my Home Theatre.
23,182 Posts

Hey Dave are you talking about the DTM tone mapping ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
Based on JVC's revised control codes for the new models (attached, thanks @Mike Garrett for providing them) I've tried to create a filter on and filter off IP Control command for iRule, but unlike the other new codes it doesn't seem to work on the new models.

Has anyone been able to get these to work with iRule on an rs2000/3000/nx7/nx9?

Here is my filter on command: \x21\x89\x01\x50\x4D\x43\x46\x31\x0A

I'm using x50 x4D x43 x46 (ASCII P M C F, p. 27) and then x31 (ASCII '1', p. 40) to get the filter on (x30 to get the filter off).

Of course I might have got it wrong, which would explain it... :)

Any idea / correction (specific to the new models) would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
We could take a look at the DSR at our meeting? I was planning to bring theub820. :grin:
Yes, bring it with you. By the way, Next Projection will also have a Stewart ST130 Gen 4 for use at the showing. I think your comparisons of the NX7's DTM vs LLDV should be performed on that screen. I won't be arriving until later that day, so please take good notes. :)

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Yes, bring it with you. By the way, Next Projection will also have a Stewart ST130 Gen 4 for use at the showing. I think your comparisons of the NX7's DTM vs LLDV should be performed on that screen. I won't be arriving until later that day, so please take good notes. :)
We currently have the StudioTek 100 on the frame and can swap it for the 130 G4 when you are here. Also will have full size screens to demo if you'd like:
SI: Black Diamond XL, Slate 1.2
Da-lite: Parallax Pure 0.8, Parallax Stratos, HD Progressive 1.1 & 1.1 Contrast
Grandview: UHD130

Looking forward to seeing you then!

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,371 Posts
If JVC did remove anything, I am pretty sure it would apply to future models sold, not current.
Yes, then many of us would not risk buying those future models. Without advanced exchange, my upper limit is around $5k to buy a projector. With it, I.. well I own an RS4500. I woudln't own an RS4500 if it didn't have advanced exchange. So hopefully JVC has the sense to continue offering advanced exchange for the upper end models.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,371 Posts
How do you find it ? I can see a little difference at certain areas but I wouldn’t say it’s night and day.

I found 8k eshift was a slight sharpness enhancement almost like turning on light level of reality creation on a sony. And only on the right content (very high detailed 4K). I think I'd run it if I had an RS3000. The difference was only visible toggling back and forth. If you were to later come into the room there's no way you'd know if it was enabled or disabled.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts

I do have Atmos from my ATV4K. I was disappointed that I did not get Atmos from The Mandalorian but the up mixer did a fine job converting 5.1 with the Dolby Surround up mixer. I do get Atmos from other streams such as Star Wars A New Hope. The tags on the show description seem to be accurate at least for me.

I also have a Roku Premiere Plus so I will try it out and let you know if that device is delivering Atmos as well.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Based on JVC's revised control codes for the new models (attached, thanks @Mike Garrett for providing them) I've tried to create a filter on and filter off IP Control command for iRule, but unlike the other new codes it doesn't seem to work on the new models.

Has anyone been able to get these to work with iRule on an rs2000/3000/nx7/nx9?

Here is my filter on command: \x21\x89\x01\x50\x4D\x43\x46\x31\x0A

I'm using x50 x4D x43 x46 (ASCII P M C F, p. 27) and then x31 (ASCII '1', p. 40) to get the filter on (x30 to get the filter off).

Of course I might have got it wrong, which would explain it... :)

Any idea / correction (specific to the new models) would be appreciated.
This looks correct to me based on my interpretation of the doc also. Maybe verify it doesn't work also in my JVCControl (run from your HTPC):
JvcControl.exe Raw:pMCF1 <-- should be the command.

·
Premium Member
There is a few things in my Home Theatre.
23,182 Posts
I found 8k eshift was a slight sharpness enhancement almost like turning on light level of reality creation on a sony. And only on the right content (very high detailed 4K). I think I'd run it if I had an RS3000. The difference was only visible toggling back and forth. If you were to later come into the room there's no way you'd know if it was enabled or disabled.

Difference is Mark I found with 8k eshift their is no artefacts whilst RC on Sony at times there were.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

Did you check the info screen on your RX-A3070 as to the actual number of input channels? You may see DD+ from the Roku, but that still may be decoded as Atmos (7.1.x) in the 3070.

19141 - 19160 of 29198 Posts