AVS Forum banner

19161 - 19180 of 29198 Posts

·
Registered
26,485 Posts
No issues here with a Roku Ultra. My biggest gripe is there's no MaxCLL and MaxFALL information being sent, so the Auto setting on Tone Mapping doesn't work very well. Anyone else have an issue?
It looks too dark to my eyes, especially in backgrounds. Putting the lamp on high and changing DTM to High from Auto really helped a lot.
I agree with you, Dave. I watched The Mandalorian and a few minutes of A New Hope last night and found both incredibly dim using the Auto setting. I had to bump up to High to get a watchable picture, and even then found virtually no sense of "HDR" from either one.

I thought the DTM handled the 4K HDR stream of The Mandalorian very well last night through an Apple TV and Gigabit internet. Using Auto and FBF.

This show is incredibly cinematic and the roughly 10 million dollar per episode is on full display. It is presented in 2.35 and takes advantage of that AR with some jaw dropping wide shots. I saw zero banding. But, I did see incredibly deep blacks. The detail was outstanding. I was very impressed and this is coming from someone who would buy a physical copy over streaming any day. So if you are looking for something worthy of your new JVC then give it a whirl.
I don't know where you're getting deep blacks in The Mandalorian. The show is mastered with the same elevated black levels and flattened contrast as other modern Star Wars properties. It may not look as poor as The Last Jedi, but it frankly wasn't far off from that, IMO.

The Atmos sounded good as far as aggressive channel usage, but had limited dynamic range per the Disney norm.

Reactions: Drem

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
Yes, then many of us would not risk buying those future models. Without advanced exchange, my upper limit is around $5k to buy a projector. With it, I.. well I own an RS4500. I woudln't own an RS4500 if it didn't have advanced exchange. So hopefully JVC has the sense to continue offering advanced exchange for the upper end models.
The 4500 does not have advanced exchange. 4500 lists 3 year warranty. RS1000/2000/3000 list 3-year advanced replacement warranty.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Check out the harmy despcialized original trilogy blu rays. They are amazing IMO:)
Oh I have all of those, as well as the Silver Screen edition of '77, Just wanting the unaltered films in 4K HDR.

Reactions: jbrinegar

·
Registered
595 Posts
I feel like dropping Netflix for a week just to help make them think they'll have a churn problem, and maybe they'd drop the extra $$$ for high quality streaming.

:wink:
Nah, Netflix will wait until Disney prices catch up, in a year or two. Disney is nicely positioned to raise their prices in increments. They get the best of both - initial surge of subscribers and incremental revenue growth.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I agree with you, Dave. I watched The Mandalorian and a few minutes of A New Hope last night and found both incredibly dim using the Auto setting. I had to bump up to High to get a watchable picture, and even then found virtually no sense of "HDR" from either one.

I don't know where you're getting deep blacks in The Mandalorian. The show is mastered with the same elevated black levels and flattened contrast as other modern Star Wars properties. It may not look as poor as The Last Jedi, but it frankly wasn't far off from that, IMO.

The Atmos sounded good as far as aggressive channel usage, but had limited dynamic range per the Disney norm.
I just looked again and I agree it is not "deep" black. I shouldn't have been so outrageous to describe it as deep but I was excited at the time. I think I was expecting something pretty terrible from streaming but I was pleasantly surprised in an overall nice picture.

My HDR setting is with my iris at minus 3 and that could make a difference in the black levels I am getting. I do feel that the show has an elevated black level after looking again with paused pictures. In motion somehow I did not feel it was bad at all and it is easy to feel the image has great depth with this particular show and get caught up in the cinematography. Perhaps I will stop looking at paused images for problems and just keep enjoying the show. But, the damage is done and yes the blacks are somewhat elevated.

I tested using my Roku this morning and was able to detect banding. The picture was a bit dim compared to what I remembered using the ATV.

I then tested the same scenes with the ATV and the banding was gone. I still found the picture to be a bit dim but when I watched it the first time I just accepted that this was a darker show and I would still argue that it is supposed to be darker than most. I switched from the Auto setting to the High setting and I found the picture better with more punch and most scenes are improved in the High setting. I paused on a star field scene and I did not feel that the black performance suffered when placed in High. Instead the stars now had more punch and made the black look even blacker than before somehow. More contrast in the image I guess? I have only felt this way about a few shows that are very dark overall and I have been using the Auto setting with almost everything.

I took pictures of these shots but it doesn't look exactly the same as what I am seeing with my own eyes so it may not be worth posting. You can clearly see the difference between Auto and High though. I might want to post a picture of the star field just to prove that the black levels are not atrocious since it may be my particular set up.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I'm watching Disney+ through a 2019 Roku Ultra and while the 4K HDR video is wonderful, everything is coming through as 5.1 DD or at best DD+, so my Yamaha RX-3070 is using the Dolby Surround Upmixer, though it does fine decoding Atmos and DTS:X from disks and getting DD+ Atmos from VUDU and Apple TV+ via the Roku.

How are you folks getting Atmos from Disney+? Before I set up my new theater, I bought a Amazon Fire TV that I haven't unpacked yet, since I've now been able to get the full Amazon Music service through the Roku. Does the Fire TV get Atmos from Disney+?
Tested using my Roku Premiere Plus and the Atmos does work using the original trilogy. Something odd though was that while The Mandalorian shows up as 5.1 in the description when I actually play it my AVR states that I am putting out Dolby Atmos! Very strange. It would seem there is something amiss with your set up as well.

My ATV meanwhile puts out 5.1 with The Mandalorian and still puts out Atmos with the original trilogy.

I felt the audio needed to be bumped up 4 dB or so with The Mandalorian and I am used to doing this on the recent Disney mixes so no surprises there.

The audio and video on A New Hope was very good and probably the best I have ever seen or heard. I don't know how I feel about Greedo and Han shooting at the same time now but hey they didn't make that scene any worse than the specialized editions. I am not going to be a Debbie Downer. I think getting a UHD/Atmos remaster was unexpected and welcome. It remains to be seen how much of a remaster it really is but like I said I am going to remain positive for now. Edit: this could have been a part of the planned 3D release of these films several years ago that was never released but perhaps the scans were of high enough quality?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know if the JVC-DLA-NX5 can get green or red dust blobs on the screen? This was a problem with my previous Epson 8350 as I learned that the LCD cooling was air cooled through a filter and the seal for the LCD was not completely sealed.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I just looked again and I agree it is not "deep" black. I shouldn't have been so outrageous to describe it as deep but I was excited at the time. I think I was expecting something pretty terrible from streaming but I was pleasantly surprised in an overall nice picture.
The Disney+ streams are good but have you seen the AppleTV+ streaming. It is downright stunning. It is definitely the best streaming quality I have seen to date. I read where it was something on the order of 48 mbps streaming bandwidth for audio and video. It is much better than regular AppleTV iTunes movies or Disney+ streams. Unfortunately the content isn't there yet for ATV+. Disney has by far the best content for the price.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
No issues here with a Roku Ultra. My biggest gripe is there's no MaxCLL and MaxFALL information being sent, so the Auto setting on Tone Mapping doesn't work very well. Anyone else have an issue?
It looks too dark to my eyes, especially in backgrounds. Putting the lamp on high and changing DTM to High from Auto really helped a lot.

I thought the DTM handled the 4K HDR stream of The Mandalorian very well last night through an Apple TV and Gigabit internet. Using Auto and FBF.

This show is incredibly cinematic and the roughly 10 million dollar per episode is on full display. It is presented in 2.35 and takes advantage of that AR with some jaw dropping wide shots. I saw zero banding. But, I did see incredibly deep blacks. The detail was outstanding. I was very impressed and this is coming from someone who would buy a physical copy over streaming any day. So if you are looking for something worthy of your new JVC then give it a whirl.

Wonder something screwy there going on hdr sdr in streaming source/material

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
The Disney+ streams are good but have you seen the AppleTV+ streaming. It is downright stunning. It is definitely the best streaming quality I have seen to date. I read where it was something on the order of 48 mbps streaming bandwidth for audio and video. It is much better than regular AppleTV iTunes movies or Disney+ streams. Unfortunately the content isn't there yet for ATV+. Disney has by far the best content for the price.
agree on appletv+ Perhaps it’s the media to streaming source control Apple have overall through path but yes very good ... pity about lack of content 😄

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Does anyone know if the JVC-DLA-NX5 can get green or red dust blobs on the screen? This was a problem with my previous Epson 8350 as I learned that the LCD cooling was air cooled through a filter and the seal for the LCD was not completely sealed.
The light path is sealed on these, so you won't get dust blobs.

·
Registered
28,740 Posts
They are considered sealed light paths, but we are not talking hermetically sealed, so it is possible to get a dust blob, but unlikely. Not like the open light path on LCD projectors. So dust blobs are seldom a problem. Though I would not take the projector outside and use in a dust storm. :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Set up the Amazon Fire TV. It's on wifi but getting 533kbps.

Disney+ through the Fire TV still doesn't give me Atmos, but it's DD+, a definite step up from DD, and is 7.1 instead of 5.1, which gives the upmixer more to work with. The 4K HDR10 image quality on A New Hope is stunning - maybe even better than through the Roku.

Apple TV+ is about the same on both streamers: 4K HDR DD+ Atmos. Don't miss For All Mankind, which asks "How would the world be different it the space race hadn't ended?" Why wouldn't it have ended? Because the Russians got there first! It's a "butterfly's wings effect" show, with well-drawn characters and good social commentary.

Haven't installed VUDU on the Fire yet (it can be done, but it's tricky) but the Movies Anywhere app gives about the same functions, particularly individual special features instead of Amazon's bundling them all together.

Oh, and the Fire does let me install and run SmugMug to show my own photos on the projector - the Ultra doesn't. (If you'd like to see my favorite two dozen landscape shots (another of my hobbies), got to Photos.PhilOlenick.com). What loooks like a play button on the right hand side of the screen actually is - it starts a full-screen slideshow of the current gallery.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
What is the recommended 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray player everyone is using with the JVC NX7. Not sure how many discs I will have so budget friendly would be best. Seen the UB420 gets good reviews.

·
Vendor
26,593 Posts
What is the recommended 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray player everyone is using with the JVC NX7. Not sure how many discs I will have so budget friendly would be best. Seen the UB420 gets good reviews.
With the latest Firmware updates from JVC, that is the player I would get........

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Oh, and the Fire does let me install and run SmugMug to show my own photos on the projector - the Ultra doesn't.
I thought that the Roku app: "Roku Media Player" was capable of showing photos over a shared network (via the PLEX app, etc.) or directly via PLEX (etc.).

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I thought that the Roku app: "Roku Media Player" was capable of showing photos over a shared network (via the PLEX app, etc.) or directly via PLEX (etc.).
That may be, but I've spent time setting up a photo website using SmugMug, and its app does a good job of displaying it, complete with galleries and slide shows..

·
Registered
26,485 Posts
Dave I was under the impression that DTM ignores the meta data
The DTM "Auto" setting uses the source metadata to determine whether to select the Low, Medium, or High profiles. If there's no metadata in the source, I believe it defaults to Medium.

19161 - 19180 of 29198 Posts