AVS Forum banner

2621 - 2640 of 4620 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
And that, my friend is why you have made yourself a great choice!

It is nice to be able to fall into that 'do you know what, I am satisfied and happy with this projector' seat and watch some movies and just, you know, damn well enjoy it! :D:cool:
Archibald1,

I am definitely one of the guys on here that love my final choice for projectors. :)
It's so far ahead of the Runco VX11d I had and I thought as others it was great.
I was actually PARANOID about the choice of the next replacement for the Runco.
Luckily, I am retired and have been since 2008 so I can spend as much time as I want to doing extensive research on anything I'm considering.
In my case I wanted to spend 1-time and be done for years & years.
That being said ^^^ is why I looked into the Sony ES5000 & the JVC RS4500 Laser Projectors.
I/we finally decided the difference in initial cost between the two units was like $20K Plus US monies.
Since in my case I have what some members consider a small screen at 123" 16x9 the RS4500 would have no issue with BRIGHTNESS.
Especially since I made the decision to have Chad B set mine up on Mid-Laser for all viewing then automatically switch to High-Laser for HDR, 4K Ultra HDR.
Also, Chad set mine up per my request for a Bright picture especially with the HDR, 4K Ultra HDR.
I used the difference between the two laser projectors for all the other changes/up-dates in the H/T.
Just made sense to us ............

But .............

Since I don't fall into either the JVC or Sony Good-Old-Boys Cliques.
And if I had more available CASH on hand I would have went with the Sony ES5000 for the additional brightness for a prolonged period of time.
Lastly, for what I actually paid for the RS4500 and the years I hope it will continue to perform I'll just go to the next Newer Laser Projector.

And believe me when I say the following I'm not belittling any member on here just simply saying how I am.
I do totally enjoy my H/T on a daily basis and that's why it already has Plus 1,300 hours in only 4 1/2 months or so.
What I'm not remotely into is constantly Nit-Picking the image every-time I power up the system.
In my case I simply turn on the system, pick out what I'm watching 1st, sit my old butt down, and ENJOY it from the very 1st second the picture comes on.
I cannot actually relate to what I read on this site everyday about the constant, never-ending, Nit-Picking for these higher-end Laser projectors and the other Newly released projectors.
It sometimes seems to me some members ENJOY the CONSTANT Nit-Picking rather than just turning their H/T systems and enjoying them. :eek:

Home Theater is in my case as a retired guy a major part of my life along with the performance car thing. :D

Terry

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Hmm.

I feel like this is an argument in support of using the epson5040ub with a new bulb until my tax return, then buy the Sony 5000.

Also with JVC announcing the "end of the line" for the rs4500 at the end of the month, per this forum, makes me hesitant to side with the 4500.

I also really want to go Laser over bulb for the next projector so the NX9 isnt really something I am looking at.
Sounds like that first option (5040 followed by the 5000) is the right one for you at this juncture.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I am definitely one of the guys on here that love my final choice for projectors. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
It's so far ahead of the Runco VX11d I had and I thought as others it was great.
I was actually PARANOID about the choice of the next replacement for the Runco.
Luckily, I am retired and have been since 2008 so I can spend as much time as I want to doing extensive research on anything I'm considering.
In my case I wanted to spend 1-time and be done for years & years.
That being said ^^^ is why I looked into the Sony ES5000 & the JVC RS4500 Laser Projectors.
I/we finally decided the difference in initial cost between the two units was like $20K Plus US monies.
Since in my case I have what some members consider a small screen at 123" 16x9 the RS4500 would have no issue with BRIGHTNESS.
Especially since I made the decision to have Chad B set mine up on Mid-Laser for all viewing then automatically switch to High-Laser for HDR, 4K Ultra HDR.
Also, Chad set mine up per my request for a Bright picture especially with the HDR, 4K Ultra HDR.
I used the difference between the two laser projectors for all the other changes/up-dates in the H/T.
Just made sense to us ............

But .............

Since I don't fall into either the JVC or Sony Good-Old-Boys Cliques.
And if I had more available CASH on hand I would have went with the Sony ES5000 for the additional brightness for a prolonged period of time.
Lastly, for what I actually paid for the RS4500 and the years I hope it will continue to perform I'll just go to the next Newer Laser Projector.

And believe me when I say the following I'm not belittling any member on here just simply saying how I am.
I do totally enjoy my H/T on a daily basis and that's why it already has Plus 1,300 hours in only 4 1/2 months or so.
What I'm not remotely into is constantly Nit-Picking the image every-time I power up the system.
In my case I simply turn on the system, pick out what I'm watching 1st, sit my old butt down, and ENJOY it from the very 1st second the picture comes on.
I cannot actually relate to what I read on this site everyday about the constant, never-ending, Nit-Picking for these higher-end Laser projectors and the other Newly released projectors.
It sometimes seems to me some members ENJOY the CONSTANT Nit-Picking rather than just turning their H/T systems and enjoying them. /forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

Home Theater is in my case as a retired guy a major part of my life along with the performance car thing. /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Terry
I agree.
Nit picking, pixel peeping and pattern gazing are great if evaluating something or trying to illustrate an issue for warranty purposes, but spending the majority of one's time doing that, in the hopes of getting the perect picture rather than just watching and enjoying content is, to my mind, absurd.
I am epecially with you with the just getting on and using it stuff. Oh, and the fast cars!!

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Speaking to JVC today....This coming Sunday 31st is the "Official" "End Of The Line " for the Z1/RS4500 :crying:

JVC,s "Flagship" projector is now the NX9.. :rolleyes:

My Z1 will be with me for the "Long Haul" :)
Not in the USA from what I hear. They apparently are still selling quite a few RS4500's, and I don't believe it will be replaced this year from what I've heard. There seem to be two sets of stories - must be a Sony deep cover mole releasing dis-information somewhere. ;)

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Not in the USA from what I hear. They apparently are still selling quite a few RS4500's, and I don't believe it will be replaced this year from what I've heard. There seem to be two sets of stories - must be a Sony deep cover mole releasing dis-information somewhere. ;)
Lol or it could be JVC USA a few weeks behind the information curve as they were with all the N series info at release ;) . . . Perhaps JVC USA still has units in stock, but it would be interesting to know if they can still get new stock from Japan - I’d suspect they can’t.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Lol or it could be JVC USA a few weeks behind the information curve as they were with all the N series info at release ;) . . . Perhaps JVC USA still has units in stock, but it would be interesting to know if they can still get new stock from Japan - I’d suspect they can’t.
I highly doubt they would announce they are discontinuing the RS4500 before announcing the replacement. My guess is eventually they will have the 8K eshift version like this simulation model -

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL102494

Paul has said before JVC Australia has announced the end of the RS4500 in April. And JVC USA has said those are just rumors. If they keep shipping and selling them, that will be the answer.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
My anonymous contact at the JVC Mothership says the RS4500 is " still current with JVC USA. And should be at least through end of year. Maybe longer. " And it is still considered the flagship projector. And they are they are still being stocked in the US. That is all. :cool:

·
Registered
511 Posts
My anonymous contact at the JVC Mothership says the RS4500 is " still current with JVC USA. And should be at least through end of year. Maybe longer. " And it is still considered the flagship projector. And they are they are still being stocked in the US. That is all. :cool:
I don't know how conclusive this is, though.

Yes, it's still current in USA. Even if new models were announced in September, they wouldn't become available until next year, so the RS4500 is likely to be current all this year. And of course it's considered the flagship as it's the most expensive...

Still think it's replacement will be announced in September.

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
@Craig Peer (or anyone else who as the 4500 and a Lumagen) Help me understand something. I can't fine the post now but I read somewhere that you said (or maybe it was someone else) that the Lumagen "effectively" increases perceived brightness via its auto tone mapping. Can you explain how it does that in laymen's terms??

And if it really does do that, can that be the primary function of the product? My PJ has been calibrated internally and I have no intention of getting it re-calibrated via the Lumagen any time soon. I would certainly use it as the HDMI switcher and tone mapping but that would be all (and maybe experiment with the "smart squeezing of stretched 16x9 video -- college football games, golf, etc)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Craig,

I know they are still selling in the USA...the USA had a huge local stock of the Z1/RS4500 so they will still sell them while stocks are available.

The info was for JVC JAPAN!! ( Headquarters ) Production of the Z1/RS4500 stopped a couple of months back.

As of this Sunday 31st , the Z1/RS4500 is "officially" not available for order. EOL.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Paul has said before JVC Australia has announced the end of the RS4500 in April. And JVC USA has said those are just rumors. If they keep shipping and selling them, that will be the answer.
JVC USA are the ONLY ones at present not acknowledging this....JVC Europe did so a while ago...... Nigel was told by JVC UK that the Z1/RS4500 was taken from the ordering system...he actually got the last NEW Z1/RS4500 available.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Craig,

I know they are still selling in the USA...the USA had a huge local stock of the Z1/RS4500 so they will still sell them while stocks are available.

The info was for JVC JAPAN!! ( Headquarters ) Production of the Z1/RS4500 stopped a couple of months back.

As of this Sunday 31st , the Z1/RS4500 is "officially" not available for order. EOL.
JVC USA is still importing them. They must still have big stocks in Japan then too.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
I don't know how conclusive this is, though.

Yes, it's still current in USA. Even if new models were announced in September, they wouldn't become available until next year, so the RS4500 is likely to be current all this year. And of course it's considered the flagship as it's the most expensive...

Still think it's replacement will be announced in September.
I guess time will tell. Might even be CES 2020 or later before anything is announced. My crystal ball is broken.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
@Craig Peer (or anyone else who as the 4500 and a Lumagen) Help me understand something. I can't fine the post now but I read somewhere that you said (or maybe it was someone else) that the Lumagen "effectively" increases perceived brightness via its auto tone mapping. Can you explain how it does that in laymen's terms??

And if it really does do that, can that be the primary function of the product? My PJ has been calibrated internally and I have no intention of getting it re-calibrated via the Lumagen any time soon. I would certainly use it as the HDMI switcher and tone mapping but that would be all (and maybe experiment with the "smart squeezing of stretched 16x9 video -- college football games, golf, etc)
It analyzes the metadata frame by frame and adjusts the picture based on the fly. I'd invite you to visit the Lumagen thread for more in depth. Not sure - did Chad calibrate your RS4500 ? The fixed curves he installs work well, but they are fixed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey guys I wanted to document my timeline for my new RS4500 to acclimate to the room. It took several days and is now stable. This might help new owners in expectations.

The current state of the RS4500 is that it is stable and always warms up the same way. Convergence warms up in 15 minutes and focus takes 50 minutes. During this time, after about 30 minutes, focus is quite good and gets pristine in 50 minutes. However, after another 80 minutes, focus settles in slightly to a slightly different state. The difference is so minor I probably should just focus half way between these two (it might only be 1 or 2 clicks on the remote). I honestly cant tell unless I'm looking at pixel patterns standing by the screen or playing my game with lots of small text wearing glasses from 7 or less feet back.

If you just want to watch UHD movies, I thin you'd be fine to fire up the projector and go without any fuss. I'd still let it warm for first 15 min to let colors come alive.

Day 1: I installed the projector on 3/21. On day 1, projector fired up with convergence at 0 for red, and -1 vertical for blue. After 15 minutes, blue was at -2 and stable there. It took 1 hour for red to settle in at +1 vertical.

Day 2: blue started at 0 vertical and settled in at -1 after 15 min then -2 after 1 hour 40 minutes. Red started at -1 instead of 0 and settled in at 0 at 1 hour 40 minutes.

Day 3: Blue started at 0 and settled in at -1 and stayed after 15 minutes. Red started -2 and settled in at -1 after 15 minutes.

So it took 3 days for convergence to settle. Now it's the same way every day after 15 minutes.
Focus also changed on day 3 I had to slightly refocus. It's been stable since.

I currently went back to a scripted power on with 4 lens presets and stages. Again, this would not be needed in normal use cases where you fire up and watch movies. I fire up projector and work on desktop for a couple hours then play games before watching tv or movies.

Stage 1: 0-15 minutes, lasts 15 minutes. Initial power on, we get past this fast.
Stage 2: 15-50 minutes, lasts 35 minutes. I call this stage "warming1". Convergence is set at this point but focus changes by stage 3.
Stage 3: 50-130 minutes, lasts 80 minutes. I call this stage "warming2".
Stage 4: At the 130 min mark. Lasts rest of the session which is usually several more hours.

Stages 3 and 4 could probably be combined which would yield a 50 minute total warm up time. Also, it's possible I could kick into stage 3 10 mins earlier, I haven't tried especially since it's so easy for me to script this behavior once I have something working I just haven't bothered playing with changing it. I could probably eliminate stage 4 especially if I slightly refocus half way between the stage 3 and 4. It's very subtle change between the two. You can see the pixel grid on stage 3 and 4 at any time but I get that ultra sharp focus on games if I keep the two separate. I may play with a half-in-between focus for the two, however and see. The difference between these two are so subtle if I use the remote while typing text on desktop and toggle the stages a few times I really am not sure which I am on and have to go in the menu to check.

This is my 2nd RS4500. The first one was a lot more unstable and it took 90-120 min to get the convergence in line and then it sometimes wandered after a couple days. This one is a 15 min warm up for convergence. Both this and the previous one took 90-120 min to warm up to full focus. But this one is a lot closer at 50 or so minutes.

My guess is that all RS4500's have this behavior to some degree and most people don't notice it. You'd certainly not notice this watching movies. It takes very small text to really notice the difference.
I have to agree with your theory. Some days my unit lacks punch and depth and I believe is do to the issue you've experienced.

I've also noticed that this behavior depends on the time of the day when the projector is fire up or the room temperature. When I come home from the office before noon those are the hours when it looks worse.

Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
It analyzes the metadata frame by frame and adjusts the picture based on the fly. I'd invite you to visit the Lumagen thread for more in depth. Not sure - did Chad calibrate your RS4500 ? The fixed curves he installs work well, but they are fixed.
Chad did calibrate my projector. So assuming either no time soon or at all I can get him back here, would the tone mapping of the Lumagen work? And if so, how would it work using the curves I already have in the 4500?

I will visit the Lumagen thread.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Chad did calibrate my projector. So assuming either no time soon or at all I can get him back here, would the tone mapping of the Lumagen work? And if so, how would it work using the curves I already have in the 4500?

I will visit the Lumagen thread.
If you get a Lumagen you'll want a DCR lens next. :eek:

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
I am more than a little biased and certainly less informed than you. I'd just love to see new tech this year :)
Everything moves at a glacial pace in this industry. Like native 4K anything - taking years longer than initially forecast.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
I have to agree with your theory. Some days my unit lacks punch and depth and I believe is do to the issue you've experienced.

I've also noticed that this behavior depends on the time of the day when the projector is fire up or the room temperature. When I come home from the office before noon those are the hours when it looks worse.

Anyone else?
Right so what you might want to try. Go into the lens preset menu and give your top lens preset a name maybe "normal". Then copy that to lens memory 2 and rename it "daytime". Now next time you come home and want to fire up at noon, move to lens preset 2, "daytime". Wait 30-45 min and do a refocus and perhaps convergence on that setting. Then you can test if "daytime" works better during the day and "normal" works better at night.

These lenses are really sensitive to temperature levels. But if the projector is on long enough it should warm up. Most people may be wrapping up by the 2 hour time that ends.

I still think it'd be pretty hard to notice during normal movie content, however. Especially where normal people site. I sit 7 feet from a 135" so everything's more noticeable. So your test would be interesting.

2621 - 2640 of 4620 Posts