AVS Forum banner

4481 - 4500 of 4620 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
audioguy;59739238 said:
I'm sure between a vacuum cleaner and air compressor, I can get it very clean. Buying new is just a precautionary move. I, like all other RS4500 users, have a lot invested in my projector but maybe unlike some, expect it to be my last ever projector. I'm willing to spend the money necessary to minimize the chance of any issues. I have an excellent air purifier I will be moving into my theater to run when I am not in it and just purchased the one Kris Deering suggested for my equipment room. Unlike you, I have LOTS of dust in the theater room but less in my equipment room since I have a dedicated mini-split for that room!

Advice DIRECTLEY from JVC was to NOT use a compressor on the filter elements.....they advised to wash them in luke warm soapy water and let dry. They said micro particles get embedded in the filter elements by using compressed air, thus the reccomendation to wash instead.

I purchased several of the Filter assembly,s i change them over, wash and let dry then place them in storage fro the next rotation.

Running 2 Air purifiers helps DRAMATICALY ! with dust control......easiest way to look for dust content in the air is to look just in front of the lens when the projector is on.....i now hardly ever see any dust particles since using the Air Purifiers..:)

Like you....my Z1/RS4500 is here for the Long Haul! :)

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Thanks Craig,

They had 1 part but not both ............

I did send them the part # they didn't have so we shall see ???

Terry
The air filter is right here -

https://store.jvc.com/search.php?search_mode=models&search_value=DLA-RS4500K&search=search

Air filter
Product no.: F1K-0062-00

Sponge filter
Product no.: J3K-0049-00
I just added both to a cart.
Craig,

I received this in an E-Mail from that Company.

The correct part number is J3K-0049-10
Dave

JVC Parts Dept.
The JVC Accessory Store
East Coast Transistor Parts Inc.
Customer Support
(P) 516.483.5742
(F) 516.483.5904
[email protected]
So, going to give it another try now using the Part # above.
Order has been placed Thanks for the Help Craig.

Shopping Cart
SKU Item Price Qty Subtotal
J3K-0049-10 Sponge Spacer $8.71 2 $17.42
F1K-0062-00 Air Filter $82.50 2 $165.00
Sub Total $182.42
Shipping Cost (UPS Ground) $19.86
Grand Total $202.28

Terry

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Advice DIRECTLEY from JVC was to NOT use a compressor on the filter elements.....they advised to wash them in luke warm soapy water and let dry. They said micro particles get embedded in the filter elements by using compressed air, thus the reccomendation to wash instead.

I purchased several of the Filter assembly,s i change them over, wash and let dry then place them in storage fro the next rotation.

Running 2 Air purifiers helps DRAMATICALY ! with dust control......easiest way to look for dust content in the air is to look just in front of the lens when the projector is on.....i now hardly ever see any dust particles since using the Air Purifiers..:)

My owners manual specifically says to not wash the filter. Washing will make it deteriorate. Vacuum only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
991 Posts
Craig,

I received this in an E-Mail from that Company.

So, going to give it another try now using the Part # above.
Order has been placed Thanks for the Help Craig.

Terry

I find it really odd that JVC doesn’t list the part number properly and gives contradictory information on how to clean their filters. I get the engineering and tech is forefront, but they shouldn’t neglect the basics !

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My owners manual specifically says to not wash the filter. Washing will make it deteriorate. Vacuum only.

Interesting in that my info in regards to cleaning the filter came via JVC Japan..

May be its that the.... Dirt / Dust here in Aus is "Tougher" than the "Fairy Dust" you guys get in the US..:grin::grin:

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts

I agree with the canned of compressed air. But if I bring this out to the garage and blow out with the air compressor, it'll be clean. That is strong.

I don't see this happening any time soon here. The straps I use to hold the projector onto the mount seems to be in the way of getting the filter out and I don't plan to cut them off anytime soon. I'm just going to assume I never need to blow these out.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts

Guys,

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I find it really odd that JVC doesn’t list the part number properly and gives contradictory information on how to clean their filters. I get the engineering and tech is forefront, but they shouldn’t neglect the basics !
Blake,

It is a "Nightmare" to be honest about it if you try ordering those two filters for the RS4500.
JVC does NOT make it a simple process !!!

Terry

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts
Nightmare? I'm not sure why everyone is having so much difficulty. While I don't understand why the part numbers in the manual are incorrect, I used the information posted by Mike Craig (see attachment) went to the website, entered the two part numbers and my personal and payment information and it took a few moments. Done.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking for some help. I’m interested in picking up a B-stock unit for my new Erskine designed HT. I tried contacting AV Science but never got a reply back. Any other sources out there? Also, how can I calculate screen brightness with this pj? I will be using a 156” diagonal Stewart Studio Tek 130 G3 2.4 aspect with a 23’ throw. No external light. I plan on using a DCR and Lumagen combo. I’m hoping I can get descent HDR with this. Otherwise I’ll have to sell the kids and go with the Sony VW5000. Thanks!

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
Guys,

Terry
I'd like to understand how you can be so afraid of technology that you are leery to make small changes in the projector menus, but at the same time are a pro at editing these photos, drawing arrows and boxes etc. The photo editing is about 100 times harder than playing with the menus in your projector :)

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I'd like to understand how you can be so afraid of technology that you are leery to make small changes in the projector menus, but at the same time are a pro at editing these photos, drawing arrows and boxes etc. The photo editing is about 100 times harder than playing with the menus in your projector :)

Well Mark,

It's actually simple ............
I put my trust in the guy I paid to do the Custom Calibrating.
That ^^^ being said it doesn't make a lot of sense IMO for me to be 2nd guessing him.
If I'm Smarter or more Knowledgeable than Chad B. then I'm the dumb-Ass for paying him to do it in the 1st place.

I will try a few things as I actually did but to me it still was a better overall picture with what Chad B had done.

Terry

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts
Do older movies look better in 4K?

While this does not just apply to us RS4500 users, I found it most enlightening. And it is interesting to find out what you can about the source material from imdb. Check this out. It is worth the time. If there are any professional videographers (Rob Hahn?) on AVS, I would be interested to hear their take on this. Seems to make sense to me - but what do I know!

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
Seems to make sense to me - but what do I know!
https://youtu.be/st985k9K2CE
While I don't have a PJ ;) I did find this youtube very interesting! And from my own experience as an advanced amateur photographer, I think he's right on.

If you search for megapixel equivalents to 35mm film (which I have), there's not a direct correlation scientifically as he points out: pixels aren't the same "entity" as film grain particles. But there are indirect comparisons that can be made. I've read articles with widely varying estimates for 35mm film, depending on the assumptions, math, type of camera sensor and its characteristics. For example, sensor signal-to-noise ratio is directly related to the ISO used for the capture (what used to be called film speed). Higher noise would probably degrade usable pixels since sensor noise appears as random colored pixels hence noise reduction options that are available in photo editors like Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom.

On the film side, each film has its own film grain characteristics - like the old Kodachrome 25 which had the smallest (finest) film grain = sharpness in the camera film days. So it's very tough to make a direct equivalency. Here's one reference from wiki that does make sense (to me anyway) and I've seen this rough estimate bandied about on the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_versus_film_photography

"A 36 mm × 24 mm frame of ISO 100-speed film was initially estimated to contain the equivalent of 20 million pixels"

One site(screendaily) suggests 4K 2160p scan is the "same" but I don't believe that is anywhere close to correct. I think the author has looked at it too simplistically.

https://www.screendaily.com/features/the-resolution-war-is-cinema-falling-behind-home-entertainment-on-innovation/5124023.article

Here's one with a different perspective and he's a reviewer of camera gear (mostly Nikon):
https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm

"how many pixels does it take to describe all the detail we can get from film?
Fuji Velvia 50 is rated to resolve 160 lines per millimeter...
Each line will require one light and one dark pixel, or two pixels. Thus it will take about 320 pixels per millimeter to represent what's on Velvia 50.
320 pixels x 320 pixels is 0.1MP per square millimeter.
35mm film is 24 x 36mm, or 864 square millimeters.
To scan most of the detail on a 35mm photo, you'll need about 864 x 0.1, or 87 Megapixels."

One article I recall reading years ago gave an estimate of 16 MP min to 30MP max. So 20MP seems as good a number as any :)

Bottom line is what the youtube guy is saying seems scientifically about as close to right as we can hope for. And if we think about this another way, the norm for modern good quality digital photo cameras (no phones!) with crop sensors is ~20-24 MP with some full frame models at 45-50MP.

A 1080p (2MP) or even 4K (8MP) monitor can't come anywhere close to resolving the data captured by any good digital camera. And it follows that a movie shot at 2MP isn't anywhere close to the fine structure & details that's potentially in a film-based movie. So digitally scanning a film movie could have much more detail than one digitally shot as 1080p/2160p, depending on the scanner's resolution and dpi of course. There's always that to consider :eek:

In this case, more is definitely better! IF I were to ever make the transition to PJs, it would have to be a true 4K UHD.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
While this does not just apply to us RS4500 users, I found it most enlightening. And it is interesting to find out what you can about the source material from imdb. Check this out. It is worth the time. If there are any professional videographers (Rob Hahn?) on AVS, I would be interested to hear their take on this. Seems to make sense to me - but what do I know!

https://youtu.be/st985k9K2CE
Chuck,

That's definitely one of the most interesting video I have ever seen about the different aspect ratios.
And Old movies going to the 4K versus the now New Movies shot Digitally in 4K.

Me being an older guy I love a lot of the older movies so I will probably make it a point to get those that go to the 4K.

Terry

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone here know if there’s a consensus on harmony remotes (or equivalent) working with the rs4500? I did a little digging and found some posts from a few years back that mentioned it wasn’t fully compatible. I’d like to have full compatibility including lens memory recall etc.

I’m getting pretty far along in my custom theater build and almost ready to mount the projector into the in-wall/ceiling enclosure I made 😃. I’ll be using an IR repeater over HDMI to get from the projector to my AV closet, and I was hoping to then use something like a harmony hub...fingers crossed that is doable.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Anyone here know if there’s a consensus on harmony remotes (or equivalent) working with the rs4500? I did a little digging and found some posts from a few years back that mentioned it wasn’t fully compatible. I’d like to have full compatibility including lens memory recall etc.

I’m getting pretty far along in my custom theater build and almost ready to mount the projector into the in-wall/ceiling enclosure I made 😃. I’ll be using an IR repeater over HDMI to get from the projector to my AV closet, and I was hoping to then use something like a harmony hub...fingers crossed that is doable.

Harmony remotes not fully compatible, really? I've been using a Harmony Ultimate in my HT since they came out and was using a Harmony Touch prior with no issues at any stage with any piece of HT equipment.. You can assign pretty much any function you want to the activity screen or go into each device individually to see the full set of commands.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts

The IR code list is extensive. Any programmable remote that lets you add your own pronto codes will let you do anything you want. Here is a huge list of codes and an online pronto code converter to go with it:
https://www.convertthisfile.com/help/jvc-ip-control

4481 - 4500 of 4620 Posts