AVS Forum banner

4541 - 4560 of 4610 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
What a great idea. So all you have to do (theoretically) is hang the projector, check the convergence and focus and done !!
That's exactly it. Everything else will be completely plug and play, from the Lumagen to the projector.

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
That's exactly it. Everything else will be completely plug and play, from the Lumagen to the projector.
Solves the entire Covid problem and saves you travel time / expenses too ! Win - win !

·
Registered
3,399 Posts

If it wasn't unthinkable to ship mine that far, I'd do that in heartbeat to double down and get the next level of calibration on mine by you Kris:). The only version that would really work this far away(that feels like wishful thinking) would be some kind of remote cal scenario into the Lumagen, but would need to rely on what I have on hand being the i1 Display Pro and i1 Pro2 (not even worth mentioning the Spyder 5 or X!).

·
Registered
987 Posts
If it wasn't unthinkable to ship mine that far, I'd do that in heartbeat to double down and get the next level of calibration on mine by you Kris:). The only version that would really work this far away(that feels like wishful thinking) would be some kind of remote cal scenario into the Lumagen, but would need to rely on what I have on hand being the i1 Display Pro and i1 Pro2 (not even worth mentioning the Spyder 5 or X!).

Yeah I’m in the same boat here in Canada. I don’t even think anyone is allowed to cross the border anymore which is unheard of. Would like to eventually get calibrated by Kris with an Envy or Lumagencbut can’t imagine shipping my Z1 to have this done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Yeah I’m in the same boat here in Canada. I don’t even think anyone is allowed to cross the border anymore which is unheard of. Would like to eventually get calibrated by Kris with an Envy or Lumagencbut can’t imagine shipping my Z1 to have this done.

Doesn't seem too bad comparatively. Yeah it's cross border, but a relative distance already being you're already situated in N/A. I'd probably give it some consideration if I was sitting in Canada as opposed to way down here in Oz.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts

Hi Blake,

Just tossing a thought and possibly a consideration to you on the Lumagen and or ENVY processors.
I have a better idea I'll use me as an example ..............
Before I jump up and spend "Thousands & Thousands" of dollars I 1st will have to have something a lot more "Concrete" on just how much "Greater" the images would be compared to like Chad B doing the Custom Calibrating ???
Notice above I said "images" to like Dish Network, any Hard-Disc including DVD-Blu-ray & 4K, all Streaming etc.
Who in their right mind would spend something like $6,000.00 to say $12,000.00 Retail for those ???
I'm on this AVS Internet Site 7-Days a week and one of the things I have constantly looked for were comments on exactly what to expect with an aftermarket video processor.
And I can say as a FACT I have read on this Internet Site that it's nothing like a Day & Night difference.
Also I don't recall seeing what the Real-World difference would be to a Totally-Professionally-Calibrated JVC RS4500 Laser Projector ???
I have even went so far as to have tried my best to keep it Super-Simple and asked the Following.

From 1 to 10 Rating what would be the Real-World-Differences to the Guys that already Own the Lumagen ???
No sense in asking the same question to the End-Users of the ENVY Pro as it is still under NDA and hasn't been Released for sale.
Nor have I read where it would be sold in the Unites States by what Audio/Video Shops/Dealers etc ???
I did ask that over on the ENVY dedicated thread and was totally ignored.
If you or anyone thinks I'm pulling your leg or legs simply GOOGLE ENVY and see what comes up ???
I guarantee you there is No-Business listed that's going to be Selling it.

Blake,
Lastly buddy, I don't mind spending money when I know what to expect from doing that very thing even when it's Big-Big-Dollars.
I'm saying to you before you jump in to Canada or me in the USA I'm going to try my best to know what to really expect.
And I can assure you at this point in time I'm NOT !!!

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Man I would not be doing any unnecessary shipping of an RS4500.
Mark,

I agree 100% on that ^^^

I'm actually TERRIFIED that mine has to be shipped to JVC repair center in sunny CA.
Then get shipped back across the Country to me.

We all know how Very-Very-Very CAREFUL UPS is on Handling something as Large as the HUGE-JVC Hard-Shell-Case the RS4500 will be in.

Terry

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,396 Posts
Mark,

I agree 100% on that ^^^

I'm actually TERRIFIED that mine has to be shipped to JVC repair center in sunny CA.

We all know how Very-Very-Very CAREFUL UPS is on Handling something as Large as the HUGE-JVC Hard-Shell-Case the RS4500 will be in.

Terry
At least you have a hard shell case you got from somewhere. Did you get your dealer to request that demo case for this? That case is awesome. It's super hard plastic like a high end piece of luggage and inside is all soft foam that encases the projector perfectly. It's the only way I'd want to ship one of these.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,396 Posts
Hi Blake,

Just tossing a thought and possibly a consideration to you on the Lumagen and or ENVY processors.
I have a better idea I'll use me as an example ..............
Before I jump up and spend "Thousands & Thousands" of dollars I 1st will have to have something a lot more "Concrete" on just how much "Greater" the images would be compared to like Chad B doing the Custom Calibrating ???
Notice above I said "images" to like Dish Network, any Hard-Disc including DVD-Blu-ray & 4K, all Streaming etc.
Who in their right mind would spend something like $6,000.00 to say $12,000.00 Retail for those ???
I'm on this AVS Internet Site 7-Days a week and one of the things I have constantly looked for were comments on exactly what to expect with an aftermarket video processor.
And I can say as a FACT I have read on this Internet Site that it's nothing like a Day & Night difference.
Also I don't recall seeing what the Real-World difference would be to a Totally-Professionally-Calibrated JVC RS4500 Laser Projector ???
I have even went so far as to have tried my best to keep it Super-Simple and asked the Following.

From 1 to 10 Rating what would be the Real-World-Differences to the Guys that already Own the Lumagen ???
No sense in asking the same question to the End-Users of the ENVY Pro as it is still under NDA and hasn't been Released for sale.
Nor have I read where it would be sold in the Unites States by what Audio/Video Shops/Dealers etc ???
I did ask that over on the ENVY dedicated thread and was totally ignored.
If you or anyone thinks I'm pulling your leg or legs simply GOOGLE ENVY and see what comes up ???
I guarantee you there is No-Business listed that's going to be Selling it.

Blake,
Lastly buddy, I don't mind spending money when I know what to expect from doing that very thing even when it's Big-Big-Dollars.
I'm saying to you before you jump in to Canada or me in the USA I'm going to try my best to know what to really expect.
And I can assure you at this point in time I'm NOT !!!

Terry
FYI I don't have an Envy. I do have a PC with madVR. I can tell you this. If I had to choose I'd rather have an NX5 + MadVR than RS4500 with some roku type device or such. Luckily I don't have to make this a choice.

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
And I can say as a FACT I have read on this Internet Site that it's nothing like a Day & Night difference. Also I don't recall seeing what the Real-World difference would be to a Totally-Professionally-Calibrated JVC RS4500 Laser Projector ???

Terry
Terry: As you know, I also have an RS4500. When it first arrived and after I installed it, I only had the Panamorph Lens, no Lumagen. I once owned (maybe 15 years ago) a much older version of the Lumagen for just up scaling and image improvement, and I did not find the value proposition to be worth it. Subtle improvements to be sure, but, to use your expression, nothing like "night and day". But the announcement of DTM by Lumagen changed the value proposition. DTM is a completely different animal. Understanding that there may be many opinions of "night and day differences", the Dynamic Tone Mapping provided by the Lumagen easily exceeds my definition of "night and day differences". And the comparison need not be totally subjective. There is "toggle" within the Lumagen that allows you to instantly compare DTM and no DTM. In many cases, and in dark scenes, the image without DTM engaged is virtually unwatchable. With DTM, huge improvement. But even in bright scenes, the differences can be huge.

The differences between DTM and no DTM far, far, far exceed the differences between my un-calibrated, out-of-the-box RS4500 and the calibrated version. Not even in the same ballpark. So since you were willing to hire ChadB without being able to pre-verify the differences in before and after calibration, I'm curious why you are so reluctant to accept the opinion of others who can easily confirm that value of DTM?

I don't know if Mike Garrett is allowing visitors (since he is fairly close to you), and while he doesn't have an RS4500, he can easily demonstrate the value of DTM vs no DTM using the incredible JVC projector. I can assure you it is anything but subtle.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Mark,

I agree 100% on that ^^^

Terry
At least you have a hard shell case you got from somewhere. Did you get your dealer to request that demo case for this? That case is awesome. It's super hard plastic like a high end piece of luggage and inside is all soft foam that encases the projector perfectly.

It's the only way I'd want to ship one of these.
Mark,

Mike Garrett here on AVS took care of that for me.
He ^^^ also sent me the program from JVC to load in the RS4500 to Trouble-Shoot what was happening.
I had my Senior Tech Jason actually perform that and he sent that back to Mike Garrett.
I'm pretty sure Mike G then forwarded that information to his JVC Rep and also to JVC in CA.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
FYI I don't have an Envy. I do have a PC with madVR. I can tell you this. If I had to choose I'd rather have an NX5 + MadVR than RS4500 with some roku type device or such. Luckily I don't have to make this a choice.
Hi Mark,

I do know what you have and I do know you love it for video processing. :)

Terry: As you know, I also have an RS4500. When it first arrived and after I installed it, I only had the Panamorph Lens, no Lumagen. I once owned (maybe 15 years ago) a much older version of the Lumagen for just up scaling and image improvement, and I did not find the value proposition to be worth it. Subtle improvements to be sure, but, to use your expression, nothing like "night and day". But the announcement of DTM by Lumagen changed the value proposition. DTM is a completely different animal. Understanding that there may be many opinions of "night and day differences", the Dynamic Tone Mapping provided by the Lumagen easily exceeds my definition of "night and day differences". And the comparison need not be totally subjective. There is "toggle" within the Lumagen that allows you to instantly compare DTM and no DTM. In many cases, and in dark scenes, the image without DTM engaged is virtually unwatchable. With DTM, huge improvement. But even in bright scenes, the differences can be huge.

The differences between DTM and no DTM far, far, far exceed the differences between my un-calibrated, out-of-the-box RS4500 and the calibrated version. Not even in the same ballpark. So since you were willing to hire ChadB without being able to pre-verify the differences in before and after calibration, I'm curious why you are so reluctant to accept the opinion of others who can easily confirm that value of DTM?

I don't know if Mike Garrett is allowing visitors (since he is fairly close to you), and while he doesn't have an RS4500, he can easily demonstrate the value of DTM vs no DTM using the incredible JVC projector. I can assure you it is anything but subtle.
Chuck,

I just now read (Carefully & Slowly) what you posted and in-fact I actually read it Twice.
Just to make damn sure I didn't miss or overlook anything you said ^^^.

Here is a simple, Down-to-Earth question for anyone that has the Lumagen Processor below.

When I ask this next questions guys understand that this is what I currently think so I could easily be incorrect.

My understanding is that the Lumagen does the DTM for ONLY Hard-Disc ???
Now of course maybe the above is incorrect ^^^
My real concern is I Don't think it does the DTM for All-Content like as Examples, Dish Network, Streaming ???

I'm trying people to simply ask what Exact-Video-Sources does the Lumagen actually do it's DTM process to ???
I would really-really appreciate an Exact Reply with No-Gray-Area at all !!!

Now moving on .............
The other thing that I think is correct regarding the New ENVY is ..............
It Automatically senses what ever it is your watching and it Does do the DTM to Whatever-the-Video-Sources are ???
Seems that ^^^ is the Main-Selling-Differences between the Two Video Processors ???

So guys that's what I am thinking above but I'm certainly NOT the Expert here on AVS on After-Market-Video-Processors ............

Terry

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
And once my Lab is up and running (drywall finishing today), that space will also be open for exactly that type of demonstration. I don't know where in TN you are located, but the Lab is southeast of Nashville.

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I can tell you this. If I had to choose I'd rather have an NX5 + MadVR than RS4500 with some roku type device or such.

Terry you Know how passonite i am in regards to my Z1/RS4500 .....but! I will 100% agree with Mark on this one...

I could NOT fathom using my Z1/RS4500 without either the Envy / Lumagen or madVR HTPC ... ( and i do own all 3 .:) )

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Terry you Know how passionate i am in regards to my Z1/RS4500 .....but! I will 100% agree with Mark on this one...

I could NOT fathom using my Z1/RS4500 without either the Envy / Lumagen or madVR HTPC ... ( and i do own all 3 .:) )

I second that comment 110%. I have both Lumagen and HTPC. I watch TV & Film content from HTPC , Disc, and on occasion Netflix off PS4. There is no way know to man I would want to go back to viewing without a DTM solution, let alone having the benefit of auto aspect for the DCR lens.

·
Registered
18,133 Posts
I second that comment 110%. I have both Lumagen and HTPC. I watch TV & Film content from HTPC , Disc, and on occasion Netflix off PS4. There is no way know to man I would want to go back to viewing without a DTM solution, let alone having the benefit of auto aspect for the DCR lens.
Same here. Best improvement ever for 4K and with a scope screen and DCR lens.

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
Same here. Best improvement ever for 4K and with a scope screen and DCR lens.
Even though Terry does not have a scope screen, the improvement with DTM enabled will still be the same as if he did have a scope screen.

DTM notwithstanding, we watched one of our non-HDR Hulu series shows in the theater last evening (trying to protect the dog from the noise of the fireworks as we normally watch in our family room) and the difference in the image when compared to our 'garden variety' 75" Sony, was startling. Sure, the Sony was brighter, but in every other aspect, the 4500 just blew the image away. What an incredible projector!!! I never cease to be amazed.

4541 - 4560 of 4610 Posts