AVS Forum banner

5181 - 5200 of 5240 Posts

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Couldn’t it be due to the focus itself? I mean before comparing the image with the e-shift on wouldn’t it be more significant to compare just the focus grid with none-shift and then start from the
No.

And I did also compare the grid. I did everything possible to compare those two(three) machines.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Anyway I am still fascinated by the 620 even being a 520 owner. Is there anyone willing to sale his 620? Just asking! Thank you!
I'm a 620 owner and I'm keeping this projector for the long haul! Not selling sorry :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
I gave myself a deadline by next Friday to find a 620. Otherwise I will keep my 520 and install a new genuine JVC lamp that I own. So dear 620 owners let me hear your voices! :)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
One more quick question for you RS520 owners and HDFury for the dynamic iris.

Is it really just buying the HDFury Linker (<-- click that link), putting it inbetween the source and the projector, and turning off HDR in the linker settings and it works? Has it been worth it long term?
You can get the Vertex and set up that, plus the macros.

·
Registered
Jvc nx7,dcr lens, stewart cima neve screen,Denon AVR-X4400H,outlaw 5000,hsu 15h, polk audio,
212 Posts
I'm a 620 owner and I'm keeping this projector for the long haul! Not selling sorry :)
I also own a 620 and considering a lumagen radiance pro or madvr envy pro . Was adding the lumagen a significant pq upgrade. Leaning to Lumagen considering madvr envy pro is 7000$ msrp for a vp with a 300$ gpu , but I guess your paying for the software😉

·
Registered
413 Posts
vertex is the best thing I've done to my projector. With the macros everything becomes automatic.. fantastic
What are the steps to adding the vertex and macros? Might be interested in adding it to my 520. I only use a shield pro, 95,% of the time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What are the steps to adding the vertex and macros? Might be interested in adding it to my 520. I only use a shield pro, 95,% of the time.

Hi sorry I took so long but I'm not the best with this kind of stuff.. go to this thread and u will find everything there.

Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Geez, don't tempt me like that.

I get the itch for the NX7 here and there, but I'm getting better black levels on my 620 than the NX7, it's been calibrated by Chad B, and it hasn't had a single hiccup since I bought it.. I always feel like I'd regret selling this projector. The x20s were the best of this generation compared to the x00s and the x40s.
I've been regretting selling mine every day :) Keep it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been regretting selling mine every day :) Keep it!
Hey all,
I also have a RS520 and I’ve read a bit about HDFury but I’m still not clear on what it does for you. I understand it allows the Digital Iris to work. Is that it or are there other benefits? I’ve looked on some threads and at the HDFury site and it’s clear that it does A LOT, but practically, what does it do for those of you who have it installed on your 520’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I am a new RS520 owner and I apologize in advance, but I can't find answers to 3 questions, or at least get pages and pages to read through and after an hour of searching haven't found the actual answers.

1) Was the HDMI Sync issue ever improved somehow? Having movies or TV shows start, hear the audio, but have no picture for a while is a bit annoying.

2) How do I get the projector to always use one particular picture mode by default? The projector has a nice, professionally calibrated user mode, but always wants to default to the built-in "HDR" named preset instead of one of the "User" modes.

3) How important to image quality is this HDFury that I've read a bit about (something about dynamic iris)? If really nice to have, which model is the most cost effective or "bang for your buck" to get whatever it offers?

Basically everything is either streamed TV from YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, or full 100% MKV rips from my blu-rays on my media server and played in the home theater on an NVIDIA Shield via the EmBy app. I am only using the NVIDIA Shield as my only input device, going through a flagship Marantz RS8015. I never had the HDMI Sync issue with my old JVC RS45, and it always kept whatever picture mode I selected for any future playback. It is almost like the RS520 is trying to be "too smart" and auto adjust.

Thank you all so much. Just as an example, there were 24 pages of search results around HDMI Sync and I never really saw any answer. Similar to the others. So many responses to searches here. Not to mention my Google attempts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
I am a new RS520 owner and I apologize in advance, but I can't find answers to 3 questions, or at least get pages and pages to read through and after an hour of searching haven't found the actual answers.

1) Was the HDMI Sync issue ever improved somehow? Having movies or TV shows start, hear the audio, but have no picture for a while is a bit annoying.

2) How do I get the projector to always use one particular picture mode by default? The projector has a nice, professionally calibrated user mode, but always wants to default to the built-in "HDR" named preset instead of one of the "User" modes.

3) How important to image quality is this HDFury that I've read a bit about (something about dynamic iris)? If really nice to have, which model is the most cost effective or "bang for your buck" to get whatever it offers?

Basically everything is either streamed TV from YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, or full 100% MKV rips from my blu-rays on my media server and played in the home theater on an NVIDIA Shield via the EmBy app. I am only using the NVIDIA Shield as my only input device, going through a flagship Marantz RS8015. I never had the HDMI Sync issue with my old JVC RS45, and it always kept whatever picture mode I selected for any future playback. It is almost like the RS520 is trying to be "too smart" and auto adjust.

Thank you all so much. Just as an example, there were 24 pages of search results around HDMI Sync and I never really saw any answer. Similar to the others. So many responses to searches here. Not to mention my Google attempts.

Thanks!
You can’t use one Picture Mode for both SDR and HDR as they required different gamma and colour profile. The closest you can get to the “one mode fits all” is to use the Apple TV 4K, and turn off all the “matching”, in which case the Apple TV will take care of the necessary conversion. I don’t believe the nVidia Shield can do that.
And with RS520/540 you cannot stop the projector from selecting the default HDR picture mode, unless you use an HDFury device to strip the HDR metadata.
The new NX projectors allow you to do that, and the HDMI sync delay has also been cut to half.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Which HDFury version does everyone recommend for the 520? Also, does it really provide that much improvement. So far I've been very happy with my 520 and no HD Fury. I mainly use a Shield Pro streaming 4k HDR movies from my Plex server.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Which HDFury version does everyone recommend for the 520? Also, does it really provide that much improvement. So far I've been very happy with my 520 and no HD Fury. I mainly use a Shield Pro streaming 4k HDR movies from my Plex server.

Hd fury will take it to another level..

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Hd fury will take it to another level..

But which one? HDFury sells 35 products, some with and some without "HDFury" in the name. I've seen references to "Linker" here ($179 USD) as well as Vertex 2 ($399 USD). The least expense with HDFury in the product name is the HDFury X3 ($179 USD)...

Not saying that you aren't helpful here, it is HDFury that has so many products. I don't want to spent $400 if $180 will do. :)

Also, I am still trying to figure out what make this so amazing? I've read that it is a "game changer" and such, but rarely (at least through searching here) can find out why. Thanks for any additional help.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I know. I don't think it's a complex question as people seem to rave about it but cant give basic info on it. Usually this forum is super helpful.

Go to this tread the guys there will help u.. Im just a fan so I don't have much time to help.. The guys in there are the pros.. And yes it will make your projector way better than what you have now..
Screenshot_20201222-143805.jpg

5181 - 5200 of 5240 Posts