AVS Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 3813 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts
RS55/X70 owners, so how are your bulbs doing so far? Any sudden dimming issues or blow ups? I'm planning to buy either JVC's or Sony's next projector and I'm leaning toward the JVC but I don't want to be hassled and annoyed with bulb problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/21917800


All of the JVCs use the same lamp.

Yes sir, I realize that but I was wondering if JVC has fixed the problems with the lamps on the new models. I want to get JVC's next model and I'm hoping that I won't have to deal with faulty lamps. That's why I want to know how are they doing so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof /forum/post/21916662


... (and eshift is on with CMD Off).

Okay. That's what I was wanting to know. Thanks Geof
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_richardson /forum/post/21916634


Coderguy, thanks for the tips. All this talk of a higher gain screen has definitely got me interested. If I can up the gain to the 1.6 - 2.0 range, then shut down the iris to get a higher contrast ratio, it sounds like a whole lot of WIN.

There is no hot spotting on the HP screen and no real visible texture either (not enough to matter), as it looks like a regular screen once setup properly, only brighter.


The Da-Lite High Power 2.4 gain and the Black Diamond by SI are the two to look at for brightness. The black diamond is more for ambient light, the HP is more for added brightness in a dark room. There are mounting things to be aware of on the HP screen (brightness viewing cone), so that it works best for 1-2 people viewing per row, but you can do 4 but the people on the outer edge of the row will not see it as bright. You also have to mount the projector lower on a shelf or use a long drop pole in order to realize most of the gain (2.0 or so). You can theoretically get about 2.2 gain from it if you mount it right to the side of your head but it's inconvenient just for that tiny boost. Most mounting spots will be 1.6 to 2.0 gain from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/21920823


The Da-Lite High Power 2.4 gain and the Black Diamond by SI are the two to look at for brightness. The black diamond is more for ambient light, the HP is more for added brightness in a dark room. There are maximum sizes the HP screen is available in, so you might need it custom cut by calling Da-Lite (I don't know the max avail size, I guess 130"ish to 135"ish I think). Many of us use the HP screen, Zombie uses it and you may have seen his thread on the shootout he did. I'd say at least 10% of the JVC posters in here are using the HP screen. Zombie had a custom cut HP screen at 142", I think he emailed a manager or had a contact, but they might do it for you.


There are some slightly better screens potentially that some prefer compared to the HP (Stewarts?), but the HP screen is a good all-around performer and the added brightness helps. I am not hugely familiar with that many other screens, some others can weigh in.


There are mounting things to be aware of on the HP screen (brightness viewing cone), so that it works best for 1-2 people viewing per row, but you can do 4 but the people on the outer edge of the row will not see it as bright. You also have to mount the projector lower on a shelf or use a long drop pole in order to realize most of the gain (2.0 or so). You can theoretically get 2.2 gain from it if you mount it right to the side of your head but it's inconvenient just for that tiny boost.

Thanks mate. OK interesting. I think I came across the HP screen in my searches earlier today. I saw this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabVeI5HfSA


Looks pretty impressive. Going by that I think my row of 4 seats will handle it fine. The left and right furthest seats are not THAT FAR off-axis, as they're a fair way back in the room.. in fact soon I will be upgrading my HT room to have a riser and will be moving the row of 4 to the very back of the room, with a three seater or two seater in front of them.


My only concern is projector positioning. I have an 8 foot ceiling and the projector hangs only about 1 foot from the roof. It's directly overhead..


What are the costs for the Da-Lite's?


Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_richardson /forum/post/21920833


Thanks mate. OK interesting. I think I came across the HP screen in my searches earlier today. I saw this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabVeI5HfSA


Looks pretty impressive. Going by that I think my row of 4 seats will handle it fine. The left and right furthest seats are not THAT FAR off-axis, as they're a fair way back in the room.. in fact soon I will be upgrading my HT room to have a riser and will be moving the row of 4 to the very back of the room, with a three seater or two seater in front of them.


My only concern is projector positioning. I have an 8 foot ceiling and the projector hangs only about 1 foot from the roof. It's directly overhead..


What are the costs for the Da-Lite's?


Scott

Minimal value getting an HP if the projector is ceiling mounted as the screen is retro reflective. One need to have the projector a bit above the viewer and a bit back. Not much higher than 2ft(600mm) or so above the viewing plane, if the gain is to be realised.


I use two of them a 2.8 and a 2.4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,106 Posts
He can just lower the projector a tad to increase the brightness, I didn't calculate the gain exactly, but if he sits up and isn't reclining, it is probably 1.4 to 1.5 mounted at that ceiling height. I have a DLP and a JVC in the same room, the DLP is mounted at about 8 foot high or so and I get around 1.2 gain and it looks great on the HP screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,106 Posts
How do we know it's not the projector design, I am not an expert in lamps but I am pretty sure it could be either or. There could be a flaw in either AFIK.

For now I'll assume it is the lamp, but you also have to wonder if name brand lamps are really MFR'd all that differently.


Considering how much a JVC bulb costs, there is no excuse for selling sub-quality lamps and buying them from some cheap MFR. I have no problem on my Viewsonic lamp, it has 1300 hours and is very bright still, the thing only costs $225 for offical lamp kit + housing if I were to replace it. The projector is only $800 new. Their margins are tiny compared to JVC's margins, where is JVC's money going (I guess R&D for better black levels).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Got my 55 mounted along with my Carada 136" BW Scope Screen. Watched Fifth Element and Ghost Protocol last night. Let's just say I'm extremely impressed. Color, contrast, sharpness, are all very good right out of the box. Even in Nomral lamp mode it was plenty bright on that screen in Scope format and no anamorphic lens. We were only sitting 11ft away and it looked extremely smooth too. Again, extremely impressed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 /forum/post/21927127


Got my 55 mounted along with my Carada 136" BW Scope Screen. Watched Fifth Element and Ghost Protocol last night. Let's just say I'm extremely impressed. Color, contrast, sharpness, are all very good right out of the box. Even in Nomral lamp mode it was plenty bright on that screen in Scope format and no anamorphic lens. We were only sitting 11ft away and it looked extremely smooth too. Again, extremely impressed.

Awesome. I really like the Carada screens and I don't think I'll be spending much more money on a Stewart 130 since they are pretty much the same performance. I also don't understand how someone can pay even more money for a Screen Innovations Black Diamond. Carada BW all the way. I think the JVC and Carada are a perfect match.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/21914508


I spoke to Mark Haflich at AVS today. He hooked me up with JVC Pro Customer Support and they are sending me a replacement bulb. Can't ask for better CS than that.



Craig

Well, great CS from AVS...


JVC... not so much. The bulbs are out of stock.



ETA for bulbs... "Hopefully, the end of the month."


Editorial Comment: Someone asked about the bulb's reliability the other day... If the replacement bulbs are out of stock, what does that imply about the reliability of these bulbs?


Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/21921374


I see, well at the present time no one knows the answer. JVC owners in general are now just receiving the newer lamps. It will be a couple of months before reports surface on how the newer lamps perform. There are several JVC threads where people complain of early lamp dimming with the newest model projectors. Craig John in this thread just had one go out. It's not the projector design but the lamp design. So IMO, until they come up with a better lamp design or go with a reliable lamp manufacture. The model you get really doesn't matter.

I am a bit confused. The recent JVC models 45/55/65 include the -003 release of the lamp already. Has someone found a -004 one?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/21927275


Well, great CS from AVS...


JVC... not so much. The bulbs are out of stock.



ETA for bulbs... "Hopefully, the end of the month."


Editorial Comment: Someone asked about the bulb's reliability the other day... If the replacement bulbs are out of stock, what does that imply about the reliability of these bulbs?


Craig

They didn't think they would have a problem, so ordered none
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt /forum/post/21927287


I am a bit confused. The recent JVC models 45/55/65 include the -003 release of the lamp already. Has someone found a -004 one?

The newer -003 Lamps now have a air vane in the exhaust port. The only conclusion I can draw is they are still
having lamp issues......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof /forum/post/21927744


The newer -003 Lamps now have a air vane in the exhaust port. The only conclusion I can draw is they are still
having lamp issues......

Ah I see....so this is -003.5 then



This may explain why some have consistently had issues and others haven't. It is to do with ventilation / air flow issues. Ambient temperature may have a lot to do with premature dimming.


I had a bit of a drop on my bulb between 80-110 hours. Since then it has remained pretty much constant. Now at about 200 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/21927275


Well, great CS from AVS...


JVC... not so much. The bulbs are out of stock.



ETA for bulbs... "Hopefully, the end of the month."


Editorial Comment: Someone asked about the bulb's reliability the other day... If the replacement bulbs are out of stock, what does that imply about the reliability of these bulbs?


Craig

Already out of lamps? WOW ..the last order a few weeks ago was for 1000 lamps per JVC Rep! He said only 5 or so were replacements due to bad lamp performance.

They must have not received any where close to that number in the last shipment?
 
2841 - 2860 of 3813 Posts
Top