AVS Forum banner

20081 - 20100 of 32898 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Should it do that automatically?

(i.e. menu is 4K60 4:2:0 12 bit and now when I play 24p content on it it switches to 4K24 4:2:2 12 b, or do I need to go in and change it manually to 4:2:2 once playback has started?)
It should be automatic. When you play a UHD disc, hold the Info button for a few seconds and scroll down the information display to see what the Oppo outputs.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
And you'll miss notification for the next release. If there's no difference, what's the harm in taking the minute out to update to the latest release. The player will stop "bothering" you too once you do.
No, I follow the 203 owner's thread here pretty close. Besides, the next firmware I'll want to install is the next Beta and it won't be one that the notifications work for. ;)

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information. If I had your expertise I would do it myself but it would awesome if you could draw up a simplified workflow using the Mascior Patterns/JVCs Gamma D controls so all our JVC brethren could get HDR looking niiiiice. Just sayin' :D
Is there anyway the rest of us could "import" your new gamma d with autocal the same way some us had to import bt2020?

Things are alive and well with HDR and the RS600 ... keep moving it forward. The improvements I'm focused on is to brighten the MTO luminance levels in the GammaD curve. Good success with a lot of minor adjustments as I tone and sat map 4K HDR movies. I'm ready to post something on this for tomorrow.

A new GammaD curve should come from JVC ... it will have better science behind it ... will be sending "Bright" gammaD data to JVC soon which could be used as the basis for a new curve ... as soon as all 30 4K UHD/HDR movies get tone and sat mapped with some consistency. Looks very good so far ... keep learning new things and have to back track and re-examine previous results. All these tweaks change the shape of the GammaD curve. It's a iterative process ... requires a lot of patience.

Here's some eye candy regarding the size of the color space (display gamut) at 5% luminance when:

1. Fig1. One uses just masciola's Blk Clip Pattern. The size of the color space at Y5% is tiny... gherkin size. :eek:

2. Fig2. One uses masciola's low color clip pattern and Y0% is kept close to 0.005nits. The size of the color space at Y5% is much larger ... and it makes a big difference watching 4K HDR blu ray movies. ;)

3. Fig3. This is where we want HDR's color space size at Y5% to eventually be at ... to match that of SDR. This BT2020 SDR color space at Y5% is roughly the same size as at Y100%. When one gets all the color spaces at various luminance levels to be the same size (say for luminance levels at 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, ... 90%, 95%, 100%), this is called good luminous/amplitude linearity (as opposed to good saturation linearity).

Still love'n the 4K HDR movies. :D

The King lol:)

Fig1 Size of HDR BT2020 color space at Y5% using Blk Clip

Fig2 Size of HDR BT2020 color space at Y5% using low color clip with Y0%=0.005nits

Fig3 Size of SDR BT2020 color space at Y5%.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
One more question Carbon. How easily adjustable will the brightness be as far as compensation for the wide latitude in studios HDR settings? With the studios seeming lack of standardization for HDR it seems like it will require different settings for each movie.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Carbon, do you think jvc will give us a new updated gamma D?
Yeah mean the Gamma D (ST.2084) they included on the new models?

Don't expect anything. They are definitely not obliged to do so. And all this from Carbon is likely rendered moot with the new models.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
One more question Carbon. How easily adjustable will the brightness be as far as compensation for the wide latitude in studios HDR settings? With the studios seeming lack of standardization for HDR it seems like it will require different settings for each movie.
Not much needed. 1200 nits is a most excellent shooting point.

4000nit mastered films will have very very little above this point.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Things are alive and well with HDR and the RS600 ... keep moving it forward. The improvements I'm focused on is to brighten the MTO luminance levels in the GammaD curve. Good success with a lot of minor adjustments as I tone and sat map 4K HDR movies. I'm ready to post something on this for tomorrow.

A new GammaD curve should come from JVC ... it will have better science behind it ... will be sending "Bright" gammaD data to JVC soon which could be used as the basis for a new curve ... as soon as all 30 4K UHD/HDR movies get tone and sat mapped with some consistency. Looks very good so far ... keep learning new things and have to back track and re-examine previous results. All these tweaks change the shape of the GammaD curve. It's a iterative process ... requires a lot of patience.

Here's some eye candy regarding the size of the color space (display gamut) at 5% luminance when:

1. Fig1. One uses just masciola's Blk Clip Pattern. The size of the color space at Y5% is tiny... gherkin size. :eek:

2. Fig2. One uses masciola's low color clip pattern and Y0% is kept close to 0.005nits. The size of the color space at Y5% is much larger ... and it makes a big difference watching 4K HDR blu ray movies. ;)

3. Fig3. This is where we want HDR's color space size at Y5% to eventually be at ... to match that of SDR. This BT2020 SDR color space at Y5% is roughly the same size as at Y100%. When one gets all the color spaces at various luminance levels to be the same size (say for luminance levels at 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, ... 90%, 95%, 100%), this is called good luminous/amplitude linearity (as opposed to good saturation linearity).

Still love'n the 4K HDR movies. :D

The King lol:)

Fig1 Size of HDR BT2020 color space at Y5% using Blk Clip

Fig2 Size of HDR BT2020 color space at Y5% using low color clip with Y0%=0.005nits

Fig3 Size of SDR BT2020 color space at Y5%.
Keep it up mate, start sharing your custom gamma curve with the community!

Let others have some fun too eh?

Sidenote: Is Fig3 actually SDR BT2020 that we all see when we strip HDR? Is that why some of us are preferring it?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Yeah mean the Gamma D (ST.2084) they included on the new models?

Don't expect anything. They are definitely not obliged to do so. And all this from Carbon is likely rendered moot with the new models.
I mean the gamma D for our models since this is the rs500/600 forum. I could care less about the new models. I agree, don't think jvc will give us owners anything more, our projectors are considered old hat now. :)

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Latest Home Theatre Geeks,

"All About JVC Projectors"
Good clip. E-shift on a native 4K unit would be something to see.

Also, my understanding of combining blue and yellow make green, how the heck do they make white with the laser light engine?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Carbon, do you think jvc will give us a new updated gamma D?
Keep it up mate, start sharing your custom gamma curve with the community!

Let others have some fun too eh?

Sidenote: Is Fig3 actually SDR BT2020 that we all see when we strip HDR? Is that why some of us are preferring it?

@Tom Bley The question is will JVC treat HDR like they did SDR? SDR has many gammas (1.8 - 2.6). HDR has only 1 ... and 1 GammaD curve cannot adequately tone and sat map the complete range of currently available 4K UHD/HDR Blu Ray movies. There needs to be multiple GammaDs ... just like SDR ... for the same reasons. I believe JVC Japan will respond to customer recommendations based on actionable data ... because they do not want to lose face. They will not respond to opinions, nor should they. lol :)

@Clark Burk Yes, there is a range of 4K UHD/HDR blu ray movies that cannot be adequately sat and tone mapped by 1 GammaD curve ... this is due to the nature of low luminance displays and how they have to use "high contrast gamma curves" to make up for the lack of luminance. I do have a guide that JVC owners can use to better fine tune the JVC projector for HDR movies based on a brightness v saturation trade off table. I'll post that tool next week ... as soon as I get through my first pass of tone and sat mapping 30 4K UHD/HDR movies.

@Javs That BT2020 SDR graphic is not based on stripping HDR ... so it's 8 bits ... don't have a ub900 ... but SDR's Y5% color space size is still the target color space size for HDR to achieve. The JVC high contrast GammaD curve needs to be reshaped at 20% and below to do that ... JVC knows how to do that, they just do not realize it needs to be done.;) Data is available to support that and it will be forwarded to JVC engineering.

The gammaD Bright (GB) curve cannot be transferred between machines. It's not a .jgd file produced by autocal's gamma edit pgm. :(

The table below is the comparison data I saw for the very first time from the new GammaD Bright (GB) curve. I was smiling from ear to ear ... can one tell why? Hint: Look at the MTO (Most Typical Objects) luminance levels. This table shows how much brighter (or darker (-)) the GB curve was compared to the GD (GammaD) curve at various luminance levels.

The King lol ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have an rs500.

I have noticed that there is a delay in picture if there is a change. For instance if I go to any of the lens adjust grids, change DVD/BR when I go back to video I get a black screen and what seems like a +10 second delay before the video comes back (can hear audio just fine).

Running Samsung Ultra 4K (1' BJC HDMI) into a Marantz 7011 (15' BJC HDMI).

Any ideas why I am getting black screen delays?

~JH

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
I have an rs500.

I have noticed that there is a delay in picture if there is a change. For instance if I go to any of the lens adjust grids, change DVD/BR when I go back to video I get a black screen and what seems like a +10 second delay before the video comes back (can hear audio just fine).

Running Samsung Ultra 4K (1' BJC HDMI) into a Marantz 7011 (15' BJC HDMI).

Any ideas why I am getting black screen delays?

~JH
That is unfortunately normal and how long it takes for the JVC's to sync to an HDMI signal. Arguably the most annoying and stupid thing about the JVC's.

When my TV takes 2 seconds to connect to an 18gbps HDMI signal and the JVC takes 12-16 its quite perplexing.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
That is unfortunately normal and how long it takes for the JVC's to sync to an HDMI signal. Arguably the most annoying and stupid thing about the JVC's.

When my TV takes 2 seconds to connect to an 18gbps HDMI signal and the JVC takes 12-16 its quite perplexing.
I couldn't agree more...very frustrating.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Great.

I dont have a problem with it as long as there is not something wrong with the projector or I need a better HDMI cable (*what I suspected). Truthfully with everything I find right with this projector this is minor in the grand scheme.

Thanks for the answer.

~JH

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Great.

I dont have a problem with it as long as there is not something wrong with the projector or I need a better HDMI cable (*what I suspected). Truthfully with everything I find right with this projector this is minor in the grand scheme.

Thanks for the answer.

~JH
Yup... I agree. I tell people to make popcorn or crack a bottle of wine in those 10 to 15 seconds. Kind of puts it into perspective for me. A small annoyance for a projector of this value.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Yup... I agree. I tell people to make popcorn or crack a bottle of wine in those 10 to 15 seconds. Kind of puts it into perspective for me. A small annoyance for a projector of this value.
its all a bit too quick kicking off for me anyways I tend to have to rewind to the start when am finally settled :D

·
Registered
JVC RS2000, DCR-C Lens, Stewart ST130 G4 Microperf. DIYSG 1099 LCR, Volt6 x8, HT18”x4, Denon X4300h
234 Posts
My projector won't turn on!

When powered on lens opens, and green light comes on. No light coming out of the lens, but I can hear a fan. Then the lens closes, standby light turns red, warning light turns red, and lamp light blinks orange.

Is it dead?

I unplugged it, waited, plugged it back in and tried again 3 more times with no luck. My lamp only has a little over 200 hours. Anything else I should try? I'll contact JVC if it still won't start tomorrow.

20081 - 20100 of 32898 Posts