AVS Forum banner

23401 - 23420 of 32904 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sadly Fantastic Beasts is only DTS-HD 5.1, no Atmos.
Nope, it has Atmos. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/2794809-fantastic-beasts-where-find-them-ultra-hd-review.html

PS. I just noticed this in the review. Kevin, do take note :) ** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

·
Premium Member
9,840 Posts
Nope, it has Atmos. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/2794809-fantastic-beasts-where-find-them-ultra-hd-review.html

PS. I just noticed this in the review. Kevin, do take note :) ** It should be noted that the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is the default audio option. Listening to the Dolby Atmos mix requires entering the audio set up menu and manually selecting it.**

You are correct, I only saw the first DTS-HD 5.1 on the back cover when I received it and was disappointed, it does specify Atmos after that. What a weird choice!

Glad to find out about this before I watch it, I probably would have missed on Atmos otherwise. Thanks :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The Atmos effect, combined with great bass in Fantastic Beasts is designed give you goosebumps.

Hope it's more like this...

and not like this...

:laugh:

(and Beasts Def says 'Dolby Atmos' on the back). ;)

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Guess I'm gonna be a little "busy" this week! :eek:

(and I can confirm the HP's & Patriot movies are DTS:X!! . . . OH and again shoutout Thanks! to @claw for the Target 3 for 2 deal... WoW!). :D
I will be turning up the volume for Fast & Furious 6 and 7 in DTS:X tonight.

Update: Dang... I should have read blu-ray.com first. It seems these discs may have lossy DTS:X that is not DTS MA and many AVRs won't play them in DTS:X. Not sure if I should just return them now unopened.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
You guys watched Planet Earth II yet on UHD?

Watched the first two eps last night, without a doubt, THE best UHD image I have seen so far, this is the reference disc to end all reference discs. For the first time, I see something that truly blows away MadVR, because up until now, in terms of sharpness, I never really felt like I was gaining very much over a really well set up MadVR system, this is finally at the level where is craps all over MadVR's up-scaling and is clearly what UHD was made for.

The extra colour is also welcome. Was a little confused at first since I was under the assumption this would be a 4k/60p disc, but I guess not. Googling does tell me it was indeed a 24p disc.

I should note that I was using (Still am) the Arve 650 curve which I featured in my screen-shots a while back. The HDR image looks very very natural.

I should note though, which is interesting, I had to reduce brightness below zero to get the black floor on some of the fades to actually engage the iris, there are not many fades but I did notice the screen wasnt totally going black on them when they happened, looked back and saw the iris only ever seemed to close maybe 50%... paused on a black fade and reduced brightness until I saw the iris fully close, which was at -4. This is with brightness set for black clipping bar 77 at 0.005 bm. Interesting.

Other than that, no complaints whatsoever. This is a bright production so far anyway so there was only two or three fades.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts

Update: Dang... I should have read blu-ray.com first. It seems these discs may have lossy DTS:X that is not DTS MA and many AVRs won't play them in DTS:X. Not sure if I should just return them now unopened.
Are you saying that some AVRs will not play DTS:X if it is lossy? I didn't even know there was such a thing as lossy DTS:X. Doesn't sound very good tho. :confused: What AVRs are known to have an issue and which are known not to have an issue with this? Is Atmos lossless?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Are you saying that some AVRs will not play DTS:X if it is lossy? I didn't even know there was such a thing as lossy DTS:X. Doesn't sound very good tho. :confused: What AVRs are known to have an issue and which are known not to have an issue with this? Is Atmos lossless?
I will leave my discs unopened until this gets cleared up. blu-ray.com forum is covering the issue. It was first identified in UK versions which seem to have been released earlier. There are reports that lower end D&M AVRs are unable to decode the DTS:X while higher end ones are. But if the reports are true that the DTS:X track is based on a DTS 7.1 source and not DTS:HD MA, then there is little reason to keep these discs as the standard Blu Ray disc has a DTS: HD MA track.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
^ The 3D for godforsaken reasons doesn't have atmos. No go.
That's what the double dip is for.. :) If a movie comes out in 3D, I have to have it in my collection. This one is demo material, very intense 3D.

it's a shame they don't add the ATMOS tracks to some of the 3D discs.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

Assuming you keep them let us know what you think. I didn't buy them since I already own the BDs and saw they were mastered w/ a 2K DI (was waiting this time for an actual review), but are you sure about the lossy being the primary channel? DTS always contains both and I wouldn't think DTS:X would work at all without the lossless flag (I am no expert but I thought the DTS spec was to use both so that if MA wasn't supported the receiver could "see" the lossy track)?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Seriously, this is soooo frustrating.

Patriots Day 4K:

Patriots Day BD:

Which looks better to you?

A LOT of 4K's look like this for me...

(These were taken with my phone, but the general sense of what I'm seeing is accurate)

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
23401 - 23420 of 32904 Posts