AVS Forum banner

23421 - 23440 of 32901 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Assuming you keep them let us know what you think. I didn't buy them since I already own the BDs and saw they were mastered w/ a 2K DI (was waiting this time for an actual review), but are you sure about the lossy being the primary channel? DTS always contains both and I wouldn't think DTS:X would work at all without the lossless flag (I am no expert but I thought the DTS spec was to use both so that if MA wasn't supported the receiver could "see" the lossy track)?
One poster in the blu-ray forum said that his Oppo reported DTS-HD HR but his AVR reported DTS:X. Typically, the Oppo should report DTS-HD MA when the disc is DTS:X. So there may not be any uncompressed audio on the discs.

Being discussed here as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-high-dynamic-range-hdr-wide-color-gamut-wcg/2202713-master-list-currently-available-4k-hdr-titles-will-updated-often-478.html#post51804993

I had never heard of DTS-HD High Resolution:

The DTS alternative to DD+, DTS-HD High Resolution (often simply called DTS-HD HR) provides an enhancement to plain DTS similar to what DD+ offers over Dolby Digital, including higher bit rates and improved compression characteristics. Again, as with Dolby Digital and DD+, DTS-HD HR is encoded in the form of an extension to the core DTS data. Likewise, DTS-HD HR is optional for Blu-ray players as well, so many players extract only the 1.5 Mbps DTS core and ignore the extension data.

DTS:X on Streaming Services
DTS:X can support lossy encoding where bitrates are a concern as well. While no streaming services have announced support for, or released movies with, DTS:X soundtracks, it appears that it would be technically possible.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Seriously, this is soooo frustrating.

Patriots Day 4K:

Patriots Day BD:

Which looks better to you?

A LOT of 4K's look like this for me...

(These were taken with my phone, but the general sense of what I'm seeing is accurate)
Were you able to identify and correct, where needed, the various parameters that Manni suggested might be out of whack?

And what settings are being used to display the 4k/HDR picture you show? It looks like what mine looked like with Gamma D, with the image dark overall, and shadows crushed. Definitely not acceptable.

Have you used lovingdvd's "Speed Guide" to generating a custom curve for your projector? If you have, then something hasn't been done right. If you haven't, that's the best place to start.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

Patriots Day 4K:

Patriots Day BD:

Which looks better to you?

A LOT of 4K's look like this for me...

(These were taken with my phone, but the general sense of what I'm seeing is accurate)
Have u tried creating your own custom curve or are you using others?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a couple of UHD HDR movies I'll be watching this weekend, has anyone used the recommended settings included in the link below?

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html
You have some reading to do...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2246658-jvc-calibration-software-v6-2015-models-x9000-x7000-x5000-rs400-rs500-rs600.html

You can start by loading the Auto Cal software and trying one of Manni's Gamma curves. Eventually you'll want to use Arve's tool and create your own. Go to lovingdvd's quick guide for instructions...the Gamma D provided by JVC is not suitable for watching HDR and can't be made tolerable just using brightness and contrast controls.
-Frank

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You have some reading to do...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2246658-jvc-calibration-software-v6-2015-models-x9000-x7000-x5000-rs400-rs500-rs600.html

You can start by loading the Auto Cal software and trying one of Manni's Gamma curves. Eventually you'll want to use Arve's tool and create your own. Go to lovingdvd's quick guide for instructions...the Gamma D provided by JVC is not suitable for watching HDR and can't be made tolerable just using brightness and contrast controls.
-Frank
Oh well, I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie without HDR. I believe the guy I bought the pj from mentioned it was calibrated and some profiles would remain with the pj. I'll check with him to see if one of those profiles was optimized for HDR.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Looks like all our projectors are now obsolete!

Just saw this on Engadget.

34 Foot Samsung Cinema Screen

The Cinema Screen’s direct-lit LED technology truly delivers High Dynamic Range (HDR) to the cinema, showcasing on-screen contents at a peak brightness level nearly 10 times greater than that offered by standard cinema projectors (146fL versus 14fL) with improved uniformity and free of optical distortion and interference. This futuristic exhibition also offers a highly accurate and superior color presentation that will capture the viewer’s eye. Complementary ultra-contrast and low tone grayscale settings enable the screen to showcase both brightest colors and the deepest blacks at a nearly infinity:1 contrast ratio.
Now we just have to figure out how to fit a 34 Foot Display into our Theaters!! :D:D

"All your projectors are belong to us!"

Reactions: seanbryan

·
Registered
28,814 Posts
Just saw this on Engadget.

34 Foot Samsung Cinema Screen

Now we just have to figure out how to fit a 34 Foot Display into our Theaters!! :D:D

"All your projectors are belong to us!"
How do you solve the audio problem. In home cinema, it would be less of a problem, since the screens are smaller and the vertical separation between center and mains is not that great, but in commercial theater, the screens are much larger and the vertical separation is much larger. This would provide a discontinuity as sounds move across the screen. Maybe with the new technology we have today, it is possible to have a center above and below and processing make the sound appear to come from the center of the screen (object based audio).

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you are not using a linker are you double checking that you are not actually using the Gamma D for the JVC for HDR? With no linker the JVC can switch back to Gamma D at odd times like if you pause the image too long (at least in my experience). If you can show the Gamma setting on the screen shot it would help verify. If that is a custom curve for the HDR then I would think you just need to create a brighter one. If that is the JVC HDR with Gamma D then it is what it is.

EDIT: I should add I am not familiar with that movie. Some HDR movies are graded darker overall than the SDR counterpart (it seems) either by design or on the directors whim or who knows. It could be because they are grading HDR for much brighter displays in general (LCD/OLED) and perhaps this is why they just end up darker on our projectors? More a question than a statement.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I actually talked to a guy in the cinema industry this weekend regarding these modular led screens and potential cinema applications. Apparently they don't even use AT-projection screens in many new cinemas that are being built today. Instead they place the speakers above the screen tilted down with good effect. Perhaps it is easier in a big room?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
How do you solve the audio problem. In home cinema, it would be less of a problem, since the screens are smaller and the vertical separation between center and mains is not that great, but in commercial theater, the screens are much larger and the vertical separation is much larger. This would provide a discontinuity as sounds move across the screen. Maybe with the new technology we have today, it is possible to have a center above and below and processing make the sound appear to come from the center of the screen (object based audio).
I've got centers above and below a 120" screen fed by two amps and a Y connector from the pre/pro. I get an excellent phantom image with brain processing at the MLP 10' from the screen. Both speakers are pointed directly at the MLP.

·
Registered
28,814 Posts
I actually talked to a guy in the cinema industry this weekend regarding these modular led screens and potential cinema applications. Apparently they don't even use AT-projection screens in many new cinemas that are being built today. Instead they place the speakers above the screen tilted down with good effect. Perhaps it is easier in a big room?
This allows them to talk about being able to provide the new video formats like HDR, but audio is taking a hit. Also none of these theater can do atmos if placing the LCR speakers above the screen.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Chad B. came to my house this past weekend to calibrate my JVC-RS500.
He did an incredible job! I was totally blown away by the before/after difference.
I watched "Fantastic Beasts ..." in 4K UHD last night and the picture looked beautiful!:D

Ray

·
Registered
JVC RS2000, DCR-C Lens, Stewart ST130 G4 Microperf. DIYSG 1099 LCR, Volt6 x8, HT18”x4, Denon X4300h
234 Posts
Chad B. came to my house this past weekend to calibrate my JVC-RS500.
He did an incredible job! I was totally blown away by the before/after difference.
I watched "Fantastic Beasts ..." in 4K UHD last night and the picture looked beautiful!:D

Ray
Ray, how long of a process was his calibration? Did he do multiple custom gamma curves ( bright/dark ) I have Chad coming tomorrow, just curious. Can't wait to be fully dialed in 🤤

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I watched the first episode of Planet Earth II on 4K UHD in HDR last night, using my medium curve. It looked outstanding both in terms of HDR and resolution/clarity. That said, surprisingly, and contrary to what some have reported, this was NOT the highest quality 4K I have seen on my JVC... That aware goes to some of the Samsung/Sony UHD demos I've watched on my JVC, which look a step better. Likewise I have to go back and look again, but I want to say that a few of the 4K YouTube videos may be slightly better as well. In that sense I was ever-so slightly disappointed, as I was expecting PE to be on the same level as that. It was very close, but not quite there. May not be a fair fight though, as I suppose those demo clips are at a higher Mbp/s rate than used on PE.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oh well, I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie without HDR. I believe the guy I bought the pj from mentioned it was calibrated and some profiles would remain with the pj. I'll check with him to see if one of those profiles was optimized for HDR.
Thanks for your reply.
I really think that even gamma D will be fine as long as you use the JVC settings AND you raise brightness either in the player or in the projector to +6 or to the point of not raising the black floor. If you don't have the calibration patterns, I would do this by starting the movie, pausing it on a mostly black frame and then raising the brightness control until you can see the black becoming a tad lighter. Back off one on the brightness control to get back to black again. That is your correct brightness setting for that movie.

I know others might scream at me for suggesting such an unscientific way of doing this but it is still better than trying to watch a movie with the incorrect brightness control for HDR. :roll eyes:

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I really think that even gamma D will be fine as long as you use the JVC settings AND you raise brightness either in the player or in the projector to +6 or to the point of not raising the black floor. If you don't have the calibration patterns, I would do this by starting the movie, pausing it on a mostly black frame and then raising the brightness control until you can see the black becoming a tad lighter. Back off one on the brightness control to get back to black again. That is your correct brightness setting for that movie.

I know others might scream at me for suggesting such an unscientific way of doing this but it is still better than trying to watch a movie with the incorrect brightness control for HDR. :roll eyes:

Enjoy! :)
The problem is the black floor is already raised in the beginning with Gamma D and HDR... If you want to get the best black floor possible and a good trade up in settings pre all this custom curve business follow the link in my sig and try the HDR settings.

23421 - 23440 of 32901 Posts