AVS Forum banner

23541 - 23560 of 32885 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
There are two things the Linker can do:
Spoof EDID, which can trick the Panasonic into thinking the projector doesn't support HDR, and thus enables it's Dynamic Range Conversion function.
Second, it can strip the HDR metadata from the player's output, meaning the projector doesn't switch to it's terrible HDR mode, so you can use a good, custom HDR "gamma" curve, and retain use of the DI. This applies to Panasonic and Oppo.

Then just stick with Blu-ray IMO, UHD is more like the last 5-10% of PQ, and it's a decent amount of trouble to get there.
As I mentioned recently Chad calibrated my JVC with his gamma curves. I just received my HD Fury Linker today.
So, please correct me if I am wrong, I want to setup the Linker so that when using Chad's custom gammas, the JVC wont reset it to gamma D.
So which EDID do I use?
Thanks.
Ray

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
Hey Rick I'm really happy for you with all the work you put into this when it looked like (from that know-it-all-nah-sayer Manni! :p ), HDR wasn't in your future and you were on the futile effort train! :laugh:
I don't think I ever said that Ric would never find a decent compromise. I only said that it would take a lot of time and that he would probably end up not very far from SDR BT2020 given that he had less than 50nits to play with anyway.

It took Ric more than 100 hours of experimentation to get his curve(s), plus $199 for the Linker, and we still don't know if the PQ is significantly better than the SDR BT2020 he already had with his Integral...

For me the point of HDR with a projector is to have specular highlights above 100nits and better color saturation, especially with high luminance. That's not something you can get on a projector with 50nits, as you're forced to have reference white around 10nits or less and to clip highlights way before 4000nits.

I'm really glad that Ric ended up with good compromise curves, but I'd still like to know whether that was - objectively - worth spending 100+ hours and $200 compared to the SDR BT2020 he already had with the Integral and the UB900. If he has commented on this, I missed the post. I suspect he had to clip at around the same point to get enough brightness in SDR BT2020, so overall it's a lot of time and money for a difference I can't appreciate, only he can.

I still think that below 100nits, if you already have an Integral and an UB900, you're really onto diminishing returns compared to using SDR BT2020 with your peak brightness, whatever it is, (as you can already reclaim the DI doing this).

If you don't have an Integral/UB900 combo already, or if you have at least 100nits peak brightness or close, then yes, sure, get a custom curve and a Linker, that's a no-brainer, but that wasn't Ric's situation.

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
As I mentioned recently Chad calibrated my JVC with his gamma curves. I just received my HD Fury Linker today.
So, please correct me if I am wrong, I want to setup the Linker so that when using Chad's custom gammas, the JVC wont reset it to gamma D.
So which EDID do I use?
Thanks.
Ray
There is a "Disable" checkbox on the GUI's HDR tab that must be checked to remove the HDR metadata flag.

As for which EDID to use you will have to experiment to determine which works best in your setup.

- Sink EDID: I use Sink EDID with the Linker placed between my Oppo and my Denon x4200w AVR. I also have my Samsung UHD player connected to the second Linker input. With Sink EDID I don't have any loss of video sync issues when switching between my Oppo and Samsung players. WIth custom EDIDs I do.

- Custom EDID 2: If your HDMI cables are up to it, this EDID will enable all valid HDMI 2.0 signal formats.

- Custom EDID 8: This EDID will limit 4K60 signals to a maximum of 4K60 4:2:0 12-bit. Use this EDID if your HDMI cables are less than perfect; especially over long distances.

- Custom EDID Default: This is the default custom EDID which is the same as selecting EDID 2.

Also, make sure you update the Linker firmware if it was not shipped with version 0.19a.

Reactions: Ted99 and krichter1

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I started seeing some odd sync's when playing planet earth II that would lead to a pink/green image and a recycle of the linker would resolve it. I saw this update:

http://www.hdfurylinker.com/uncategorized/hdfury-linker-firmware-0-19a/

Test firmware for Oppo203 Owners.
1. Solved Purple Tink when player set to Auto or 4:4:4
2. Solved Atmos and Audio loss

I have the Panasonic UB900 but this updated fixed it. just a heads up in case anyone else runs into that scenario.

ps. check out the fade to black right after the opening title. it looks excellent and then opens up to the first aerial view of the island. DI is working like a champ in HDR mode.
My calibrator told me about it. does this HD Linker allow JVC to have HDR and still be able to use IRIS?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Thx for clarification.

So today for the first time, I tried HDR calibrated and my GODDDD it looks amazing. I was watching Planet Earth 2 HDR and it looked stunning. I"m sure my OLED C65 would be even better but JVC wasn't bad at all. It looked so real. Can't wait until HDR becomes standard as 1080P is as of now and we have projectors that have enough brightness to be used in LOW lamp (mine is in High wide open at 0) with auto IRIS. Sweeeeeetttt.
I might have missed it, but can you clarify if your calibrator used a custom curve or stuck with Gamma D?

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
My calibrator told me about it. does this HD Linker allow JVC to have HDR and still be able to use IRIS?
Hi, yes that is correct. It also prevent the projector from constantly trying to go back to Gamma D. This can happen if the UHD player goes into screensaver during pause so it's worth it for that alone + it also re-enables use of the iris.

definitely worth getting.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I might have missed it, but can you clarify if your calibrator used a custom curve or stuck with Gamma D?
He worked on D and also provided Custom Curve. The Custom Curve looked AMAZING. Its Chad who did it. I now wish I didn't have him calibrate. Let me explain why. Once you see the image that is calibrated, it just spoils you. I very recently also purchased OLED C65 2016 model. Amazing TV and craxy contrast but since its not calibrated, it doesn't look right. I see all the issues with colors and what not and what not. Now I have to wait till he gets back :(. I'm soooo spoiled.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Hi, yes that is correct. It also prevent the projector from constantly trying to go back to Gamma D. This can happen if the UHD player goes into screensaver during pause so it's worth it for that alone + it also re-enables use of the iris.

definitely worth getting.
Going to order it now. This is the one we are talking about right?
http://www.hdfurylinker.com/
Just to be clear, we are talking about iris being enabled in HDR and not just having SDR 2020? Also, since you had a nice post with basic settings to start with for RS, do you or someone here made a post on how to integrate it?

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
Going to order it now. This is the one we are talking about right?
http://www.hdfurylinker.com/
Just to be clear, we are talking about iris being enabled in HDR and not just having SDR 2020? Also, since you had a nice post with basic settings to start with for RS, do you or someone here made a post on how to integrate it?
yes that is correct. There isn't much to it, there is a basic config to setup when connected to a PC. I can find the links later and post them but I would just order it for now, it's very simple to integrate.

just a checkbox to enabled the DI.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
He worked on D and also provided Custom Curve. The Custom Curve looked AMAZING. Its Chad who did it. I now wish I didn't have him calibrate. Let me explain why. Once you see the image that is calibrated, it just spoils you. I very recently also purchased OLED C65 2016 model. Amazing TV and craxy contrast but since its not calibrated, it doesn't look right. I see all the issues with colors and what not and what not. Now I have to wait till he gets back :(. I'm soooo spoiled.
So, Chad did it eh. Well, then, you are obviously in good hands. Am curious, what are your thoughts regarding the differences you see between a Chad calibrated Gamma D and a Chad custom curve? How was the curve created; Arve's tool or Calman?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
@claw - I added the following titles to your Google spreadsheet:

Inferno
Journey to Space
The Last Reef Cities Beneath the Sea
Flight of the Butterflies
Concussion
Rocky Mountain Express
The Shallows

Thanks for starting this...:)

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
@claw - I added the following titles to your Google spreadsheet:

Inferno
Journey to Space
The Last Reef Cities Beneath the Sea
Flight of the Butterflies
Concussion
Rocky Mountain Express
The Shallows

Thanks for starting this...:)
Seems a little strange to see that Rocky Mountain Express and The Last Reef have black level values of 0.0001.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Seems a little strange to see that Rocky Mountain Express and The Last Reef have black level values of 0.0001.
Flight of the Butterflies & Journey to Space have the same black level as well...strange indeed. All four titles are from Shout Factory...

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Wow!!

23,000 posts later and everyone must be off enjoying their custom curves and DI!!! Awesome! Thanks to everyone for figuring this out...a whack of work by a few of you!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
For folks using HDR with a custom curve, when playing a HDR source, which switches to Gamma D, I then select the user picture mode which has the Gamma memory selected with the imported curve, but when I select it, it stays on Gamma D until I go in and select that Gamma memory? Am I missing something? Thanks. SJ

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Does anyone know why CMD has to be set to OFF for Roku Ultras the work? Why would that cause the vertical line issues, etc. which many have commented on that if not set to off you sometimes have to power cycle the projector. Seems strange,but I'm also having issues which turning CMD off seems to fix. SJ

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
For folks using HDR with a custom curve, when playing a HDR source, which switches to Gamma D, I then select the user picture mode which has the Gamma memory selected with the imported curve, but when I select it, it stays on Gamma D until I go in and select that Gamma memory? Am I missing something? Thanks. SJ
Between starting the disc in your player, getting through the production intros, then disc menu, then play the movie -- the JVC will auto flip to Gamma D 2 or 3 times... Wait until after you hit play from the disc menu and once you start hearing production intro music/sound you need to pause the movie -- switch off Gamma D and onto your Custom Gamma curve. Then watch the movie.

The linker allows you hide/mask the HDR metadata info while retaining the HDR data signal. This way, the JVC doesn't autoswitch to Gamma D and you gain access to the DI which is normally disabled when JVC is in HDR mode.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Between starting the disc in your player, getting through the production intros, then disc menu, then play the movie -- the JVC will auto flip to Gamma D 2 or 3 times... Wait until after you hit play from the disc menu and once you start hearing production intro music/sound you need to pause the movie -- switch off Gamma D and onto your Custom Gamma curve. Then watch the movie.

The linker allows you hide/mask the HDR metadata info while retaining the HDR data signal. This way, the JVC doesn't autoswitch to Gamma D and you gain access to the DI which is normally disabled when JVC is in HDR mode.
The locking of the gamma to custom is worth the price of the Linker alone, not to mention we get our DI back!!! (Biggggg bonus!!!):)

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts

Does HDR yes, just turn on Gamma D only or does it do anything else with the projector. I could strip it out with my Lumagen Pro. Maybe I should do that instead. SJ

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Does HDR yes, just turn on Gamma D only or does it do anything else with the projector. I could strip it out with my Lumagen Pro. Maybe I should do that instead. SJ
I recall another user saying they could do this with their Lumagen Pro-- I would look into that for sure. If you get your Lumagen to block the HDR metadata while retaining HDR signal, you shouldn't have to bother with Gamma D ever again.

Until you get that going though-- Once you start your main feature (in HDR), pause it, switch Gamma D to your Custom Gamma curve and you're all set.

Every time the JVC re-detects an HDR signal it will automatically switch to Gamma D.

Reactions: stevenjw
23541 - 23560 of 32885 Posts