AVS Forum banner

23741 - 23760 of 32885 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
I cancelled my Amazon pre-orders for these two UHDs weeks ago. I read that BB has exclusive rights with Sony for 3D releases, but also read that Sony's no longer going to sell 3D in the US. Not sure at this point, so will wait and pick up each when they come out in store. The steelbooks do NOT list 3D, so these may only be available in regular version. Hard to say at this point.
there is a thread on these 2 movies on bluray forums, one of the members posted this:

I received two separate emails directly from Sony that say in the US Bestbuy will have exclusive on 3D for both Underworld and Resident Evil as a 3D/4K combo Amaray. The Steelbook for both will be 4K only. 3D will not be available any other way in the US.

I ordered both (non-steelbook) as a gamble since I want the 4K of each movie and already have the 3D as well. It would be a nice kit if it includes both and could sell out quick if they are the only place to get it. BB did a good job delivering the Rogue One steelbook on release date.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I had my Rogue1 Steelbook day 1 ~12pm from BB Preorder

·
26,161 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was expecting to hear...

What is the typical JVC turn-around time? I guess I pay shipping one or both ways? Or since it's still within the warranty, do they take care of that?

Really bummed about this... It has been flawless until now...

Don
Hey Don:

I had a lemon JVC before and Mendtronix is a good outfit, but do make mistakes. The very first thing I would do is contact your rep assigned to your repair (you'll get an email with the contact info after you register your repair on their site). Let your rep know you want them to reuse the JVC box you'll be sending your projector in with....if you don't they'll toss it. I would also follow up the same day your projector is delivered and make sure the lab has set aside your projector box. The packing and boxes they use are not nearly as good as the original JVC boxes and packing...no surprise, but a critical detail in helping a safe return for your projector.

Edit: I went back and scanned my Mendtronix experience...couple of points: Looks like (depending on your location and timing), 3 weeks from the day I sent the projector to receiving the projector back. Here's a "pro tip" ;) Take pictures of the projector before you send it out for shipping insurance purposes and make sure to take out the appropriate insurance when shipping to Mendtronix...this means UPS/fedex will want to inspect the packing, so no need to seal the box before shipping.

When you get the projector back....take pictures of the outside of the box BEFORE opening up the box...this insures you have a record of any box damage, which Mendtronix will ask for if the projector was damaged in route back to you...it happens. My projector's case was cracked in route back to me. I had both pics of the projector and the box, which were necessary in a quick resolution from the damage.

Ron

PS: Here's a thread I started on Mendtronix

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1842417-mendtronix-repair-parts-lamps-center-reviews-feedback.html

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Hey Don:

I had a lemon JVC before and Mendtronix is a good outfit, but do make mistakes. The very first thing I would do is contact your rep assigned to your repair (you'll get an email with the contact info after you register your repair on their site). Let your rep know you want them to reuse the JVC box you'll be sending your projector in with....if you don't they'll toss it. I would also follow up the same day your projector is delivered and make sure the lab has set aside your projector box. The packing and boxes they use are not nearly as good as the original JVC boxes and packing...no surprise, but a critical detail in helping a safe return for your projector.

Ron

PS: Here's a thread I started on Mendtronix

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1842417-mendtronix-repair-parts-lamps-center-reviews-feedback.html
Appreciate the reply, info, and suggestions, Ron!

I wouldn't call my JVC a lemon ;) but this quirk is a bit annoying.

I had initially reported that the Aperture wasn't opening/closing, and that it subsequently started working again. To update this, it's been an on and off occurrence. It seems I can get it working again by holding down the button to close it, as if there's some mechanical resistance to overcome, but that's a guess.

Given that there are no other flaws, and the fact that I could live with a wide open aperture anyway (large screen, 18' foot throw, non-bat-cave room), I'm not certain I want to ship it out for repair. I could bring it there myself, and pick it up to avoid shipping (a 4 1/2 hour drive from my home), but am not certain I want to go through that hassle, as well as be without a projector for a couple of weeks).

So I may just keep an eye on it over the next month or two, and see if it the problem persists or worsens.

I'll read through that other thread you started - great idea by the way!.

Thanks again.

Don

Reactions: rboster

·
Registered
28,747 Posts
Appreciate the reply, info, and suggestions, Ron!

I wouldn't call my JVC a lemon ;) but this quirk is a bit annoying.

I had initially reported that the Aperture wasn't opening/closing, and that it subsequently started working again. To update this, it's been an on and off occurrence. It seems I can get it working again by holding down the button to close it, as if there's some mechanical resistance to overcome, but that's a guess.

Given that there are no other flaws, and the fact that I could live with a wide open aperture anyway (large screen, 18' foot throw, non-bat-cave room), I'm not certain I want to ship it out for repair. I could bring it there myself, and pick it up to avoid shipping (a 4 1/2 hour drive from my home), but am not certain I want to go through that hassle, as well as be without a projector for a couple of weeks).

So I may just keep an eye on it over the next month or two, and see if it the problem persists or worsens.

I'll read through that other thread you started - great idea by the way!.

Thanks again.

Don
If it is usable like it is, then I would wait until closer to end of warranty. Then send it in. Just do not wait until the very end of the warranty. You want some warranty time left for checking out the projector.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If it is usable like it is, then I would wait until closer to end of warranty. Then send it in. Just do not wait until the very end of the warranty. You want some warranty time left for checking out the projector.
That's an excellent suggestion Mike. Thanks!

·
26,161 Posts
That's an excellent suggestion Mike. Thanks!
My personal experience suggests 6 months or so before the warranty ends....in case there are any follow up issues as Mike is suggesting. Great advice.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
It's nice that BB includes the 3d version in the Steelbooks as of late. I'm so pissed that I missed the Steelbook of Rogue One because I waited until the next day after it was released to go get a copy. I won't do that again. :)
Okay, okay... I bought them on faith! :D

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
that is the strange thing here, the rumor is that the BB Steelbook of RE Final Chapter will not have the 3D included. Only the equal priced regular UHD copy will have the 3D. reading the back and forth on bluray forum, it looks likely BB will have these with the 3D copies just like Sony did with Ghostbusters.

these may sell out quick and as folks snap them up to sell on ebay for double price.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I sure hope RS500/600 owners generally screen films worth watching. The ratio of dreck to decent films mentioned in this thread is scary.

·
26,161 Posts
I sure hope RS500/600 owners generally screen films worth watching. The ratio of dreck to decent films mentioned in this thread is scary.
One man's dreck, is another man's guilty pleasure. With the oscar films being released in April and March and other high profile titles...good time for ALL to enjoy their projectors. I would hate to have non-functioning theater right now.

Ron

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
One man's dreck, is another man's guilty pleasure. With the oscar films being released in April and March and other high profile titles...good time for ALL to enjoy their projectors. I would hate to have non-functioning theater right now.

Ron
exactly, RE and Underworld aren't going to win any oscars but what a ride! And that is what I built a bad*** HT for :D

·
Registered
18,117 Posts

Ron
Sometimes a little dreck is fun. While I certainly liked " Arrival " and " Hacksaw Ridge ", I also got a kick watching " Iron Sky " ! :D

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Everything I watch in my HT is worth watching (well except for the occasional surprise disappointment). Whether or not any of it would be qualified as "decent" by you, I can't say, and frankly couldn't care less.

exactly, RE and Underworld aren't going to win any oscars but what a ride! And that is what I built a bad*** HT for :D
Usually the Oscars provide more of an indication of what movies I won't like than will like.

Sometimes a little dreck is fun. While I certainly liked " Arrival " and " Hacksaw Ridge ", I also got a kick watching " Iron Sky " ! :D
Iron Sky was pretty ridiculous (in a fun way :cool: ).

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The films mentioned in this thread which qualify as either guilty pleasure, or worse, pure garbage, far outnumber those worthy of attention. By far! Such a shame, in my view, to create a proper screening environment only to consume movies dominated by special effects.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
The films mentioned in this thread which qualify as either guilty pleasure, or worse, pure garbage, far outnumber those worthy of attention. By far! Such a shame, in my view, to create a proper screening environment only to consume movies dominated by special effects.
I'll take a special effects spectacle over an "art" film any day. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'll take a special effects spectacle over an "art" film any day. To each their own.
The first straw man fallacy ever to be deployed on a social media platform! Nice work.

Such a shame, really.

23741 - 23760 of 32885 Posts