AVS Forum banner

28721 - 28740 of 32885 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
muhaha

it is unbelievable..i have just get used to work with custom curves. and now it seems that the game is started again (there is an oppo option at least). first of all many thanks for everyone doing their best to share their knowledge.

in my setup

tvbox 4k
oppo 203
roku 4

AV8802A

RS600

how can i make the setup? does the source matter ( 1080p 0r 4k) ?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Oppo 203

Hi folks...just testing today...sdr modes are very nice and configurable...aswesome shawdow detail AND colour saturation...amazing on low lamp, iris -5! More testing to do but very impressed thus far!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I am getting really close to wanting to buy the 203 again. If for anything, to do some testing vs my Panasonic UB900. It would be nice to have both on hand to put through the paces. :)

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I am getting really close to wanting to buy the 203 again. If for anything, to do some testing vs my Panasonic UB900. It would be nice to have both on hand to put through the paces. :)
The Oppo video seems more crisp to me than my ub-900...perhaps just because of better tone mapping so contrast etc is improved

Reactions: atabea

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
The tone mapping DEFINITELY effects visual sharpness. I noticed this A LOT when I was reviewing the 885ES projector. With the projector's tone mapping resolution looked good (native 4K) but the image looked a bit flat. Switched to the Oppo tone mapping and subjective sharpness, detail and depth increased by leaps and bounds. The very opening of Dunkirk when it shows the guys walking down the road (literally the opening frame that isn't a title) is a great example of this. If I bounced between Arve curves, projector tone maps and my Lumagen I would get drastically different results with this scene in apparent detail and contrast.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
The tone mapping DEFINITELY effects visual sharpness. I noticed this A LOT when I was reviewing the 885ES projector. With the projector's tone mapping resolution looked good (native 4K) but the image looked a bit flat. Switched to the Oppo tone mapping and subjective sharpness, detail and depth increased by leaps and bounds. The very opening of Dunkirk when it shows the guys walking down the road (literally the opening frame that isn't a title) is a great example of this. If I bounced between Arve curves, projector tone maps and my Lumagen I would get drastically different results with this scene in apparent detail and contrast.
I also find with the Oppo tone mapping, color saturation is HUGELY improved...the blue uniforms in Star Trek beyond never looked so luxurious!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yo, Coach, The Panny/Integral/SDRBT2020 was definitely superior to the OPPO's (old) Strip metadata function. However, the new HDR tone mapping function on the OPPO is a completely different animal. The OPPO takes this round for sure.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Kris, hi can you confirm if this is the scene you are referring to? 00:20:30 time stamp

screen grab from the source on a PC

Zombie, what screen gain r u using? I can’t resolve his right eye as well as your pic and I’m using Oppo sdr luminance 200 nits mode 4, low lamp iris -5

·
Registered
13,271 Posts
Zombie, what screen gain r u using? I can’t resolve his right eye as well as your pic and I’m using Oppo sdr luminance 200 nits mode 4, low lamp iris -5
That is a direct screen grab from the UHD source. I'm taking a look at it later with my own curves + manni and javs recent curves. I'll grab the oppo soon so I can see for myself how it compares.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Also that pic is in LOG gamma, not HDR gamma. The real HDR shot will be way darker.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
That is a direct screen grab from the UHD source. I'm taking a look at it later with my own curves + manni and javs recent curves. I'll grab the oppo soon so I can see for myself how it compares.
It appears that Arve’s tool does not include tone mapping for the low end hor HDR10. When I calibrate to ST.2390 Tone mapping the low end is noticeably brighter.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
It appears that Arve’s tool does not include tone mapping for the low end hor HDR10. When I calibrate to ST.2390 Tone mapping the low end is noticeably brighter.
I got a few requests via PM to post my “bright curves”.

The different tone mapping curves are intended to preserve the “overall brightness” when contents are viewed on systems with different peak nits. If you don’t know the peak luminance of your system, try the 85 nit curves first; if you want an even brighter picture overall you can try the 60 nit curves, keeping in mind the brighter curves will have less “HDR effect”.

See this post for some comparison samples:

The attached curves use 25 nits for the diffuse white or reference white (“bw” in Arve’s Tool). The curves are for 4000-nit and 1200-nit masters as indicated in the file name.

EDIT: The curves were originally created for the RS4x0 projectors. For RS5x0/6x0 the compensation should probably be reduced. The attached graph shows the low end bumps for 0.005 nits (solid blue line) and 0.001 nits (dashed blue line). The three 135-nit curves have different amount of black compensation. Black-compensated curves are only in the JVC jgd format. The attached "Bright Curves" use a 0.002 nits black compensation.

2019-08-01 EDIT:
I have added two 500-nits curves that have minimal tone mapping. They are experimental curves meant to be used with the Panasonic UB820 when set to output HDR at 500 nits. The "hc" version hard-clips at 500 nits whereas the "sc" version applies some soft-clipping near the top.

2020-02-01 EDIT:
I have added two curves that work with the Panasonic HDR Optimizer. They are similar to the Panasonic "Profiles" that JVC included with the new NX-series.

2020-04-13 EDIT:
Added 4 curves (350, 600, 1000, 2000 nit) for use with LLDV.
NOTE: LLDV still follows ST.2084 and does not require special curves. This set was created only to compare the effects of using different values of Max Luminance in the Dolby Vision string.

2020-04-23 EDIT:
Corrected Javs 85 black compensation (0.002 and 0.005 nits) curves.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Hi folks...just testing today...sdr modes are very nice and configurable...aswesome shawdow detail AND colour saturation...amazing on low lamp, iris -5! More testing to do but very impressed thus far!
I also find with the Oppo tone mapping, color saturation is HUGELY improved...the blue uniforms in Star Trek beyond never looked so luxurious!
Yo, Coach, The Panny/Integral/SDRBT2020 was definitely superior to the OPPO's (old) Strip metadata function. However, the new HDR tone mapping function on the OPPO is a completely different animal. The OPPO takes this round for sure.
I have the same findings. Watched some UHD clips tonight with the new beta for the 203, and it was spectacular, Planet Earth 2 was mind blowing, and Valerian was much more vibrant colours, really pops now.

That beeing said, my earlier custom curves and Panny combo was when i tried to make my own curves, clearly not optimal. I downloaded Manni’s latest curves, and the DC1K was miles better than mine. But the OPPO is still better, best i have seen so far. Very happy with the newly accuired 203 :)

And oh yes, i switched to low lamp too, and still awsome picture.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I have a 2nd x990 coming soon and i plan to have the ub900 -> x990 and 203 -> x990 running side by side.

The plan is to try to play around with the ub900-x990 to see how much closer i can get to the 203-x990 combo.

I'll be using this software on a macpro. https://www.divergentmedia.com/scopebox. with a live camera to view 10bit hdr10 test patterns on a 10bit waveform monitor.

I might also be able to record the hdmi output of the 203 to see how it is manipulating the hdr10 test patterns.If anyone has a video field monitor with waveform, like a smallHD or Ninja, etc, you could do the same thing to see what is going on.

Keep in mind, this process is only to be able to see the waveform from both projectors at the same time, while making adjustments to get the ub900->x990 to line up with the 203->x990.

I will try it with multiple target luminance ranges.

One caveat, the 2x x990s will have different lamps characteristics, one new and one with 200+ hours.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I have the same findings. Watched some UHD clips tonight with the new beta for the 203, and it was spectacular, Planet Earth 2 was mind blowing
Planet Earth 2 is absolutely fan-freakin-tasic. This is what I was expecting 4K to look like two years ago. My Oppo-JVC setup actually rivals my LG OLED now, only bigger. What a long, strange trip it's been. So glad we've arrived.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
There’s a lotta love for the Oppo here these days!

A year ago, some of us (me!) were sending them back, now I’m tempted to buy again.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
There’s a lotta love for the Oppo here these days!

A year ago, some of us (me!) were sending them back, now I’m tempted to buy again.
Since day one of ownership of the Oppo 203 ( from first release) i have never had anything complimentary so say about it in comparison to my UB900.... , That has changed.:)
The Tone Mapping IS a big deal, it produces spectacular results with my Z1/RS4500.. :)

My UB900 will now take a turn in "retirement" :D

Speaking of "Planet Earth II" ... looked at it last night with the Oppo and it is Jaw Droppingly good!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The Oppo video seems more crisp to me than my ub-900...perhaps just because of better tone mapping so contrast etc is improved
I ordered an Oppo 203 the first day they came out. Then once I discovered the strip metadata feature was flawed, I sent it back and stuck with my UB900/Intergal combo.

Back in October I had Chad back out and he re-calibrated my X750R to give me some true HDR curves. The picture was looking great. I am still lacking some in overall brightness since I like to run in low lamp, but the slider feature on the UB900 allows me to give a subtle boost in brightness on those certain 4K titles that need it.

That being said, since I am not using the HDR/SDR Conversion(or whatever the technical term is :) ), I am most curious how the Oppo can improve upon standard HDR playback on my system.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I ordered an Oppo 203 the first day they came out. Then once I discovered the strip metadata feature was flawed, I sent it back and stuck with my UB900/Intergal combo.

Back in October I had Chad back out and he re-calibrated my X750R to give me some true HDR curves. The picture was looking great. I am still lacking some in overall brightness since I like to run in low lamp, but the slider feature on the UB900 allows me to give a subtle boost in brightness on those certain 4K titles that need it.

That being said, since I am not using the HDR/SDR Conversion(or whatever the technical term is :) ), I am most curious how the Oppo can improve upon standard HDR playback on my system.
If Chad used the Arve tool, I “believe” they are still SDR curves as the tone mapping occurs on the pj, but I could be wrong...the Oppo gives a lot of flexibility for tone mapping with 4 modes and a luminance slider...

28721 - 28740 of 32885 Posts