AVS Forum banner

31701 - 31720 of 32891 Posts

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Is there anyway to lock the gamma so it does not keep going back to Gamma D without buying more equipment(Hd fury/ vertex, etc)
I don’t believe there’s any way of preventing the projector from switching to Gamma D on detection of HDR metadata.

You can “tell” the Apple TV your projector doesn’t support HDR, and the ATV will send only SDR.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don’t believe there’s any way of preventing the projector from switching to Gamma D on detection of HDR metadata.

You can “tell” the Apple TV your projector doesn’t support HDR, and the ATV will send only SDR.

Thanks for the info. I guess it goes back to BB. Its a neat little box, but I am not going to keep changing it back every 3-4 mins or so while watching a movie. I wish there was a way to reprogram Gamma D

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess it goes back to BB. Its a neat little box, but I am not going to keep changing it back every 3-4 mins or so while watching a movie. I wish there was a way to reprogram Gamma D
I believe the repeated switching only happens when you watch Dolby Vision movies. In other cases it should only switch once.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have not purchased the 820, yet, waiting for it to appear on the discounter's order sheets. What setting should I use for my Chad-calibrated RS 600? Will there be a visible improvement?
In a word: probably. With a 100" diagonal screen a sharpness increase might be subtle unless you sit, say, less than 8 feet away from the screen. I've got a 135" diagonal screen and sit 14 ft away and with 4K UHD BDs there's a noticeable improvement in sharpness and color from my RS600. While my Lumagen Radiance as a processor isn't in the video chain any more because it does not do 4K, the sacrifice is worth the improvement in PQ with the 820 as source. The scaling to 4K with regular BDs is excellent and in my opinion superior to the RS600s e-shift alone. A HD Fury Integral or Linker is not needed, etc. If you haven't seen it already I suggest you see Kris Deering's review of the UB820 for a lot more information

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have had the the RS600 since it came out 3 years ago. I just bought an Apple TV 4K.

Is there anyway to lock the gamma so it does not keep going back to Gamma D without buying more equipment(Hd fury/ vertex, etc)

If not, the Apple TV might be going back to Bestbuy

Thanks

Steve
Steve: I have the same equipment as you. Set the Apple TV to 4K SDR. Gamma D will never come on. Projectors are too dim to work very well with HDR anyway. You do loose the wider color gamut that comes with BT2020, but the ATV 4K content can still look great, with many 4K titles better than blu ray.

If only Apple would buy Panasonic's fantastic tone-mapping algorithm, we'd have it made. They can certainly afford it. Maybe some day. Until then I'm often amazed at the ATV 4K quality - and I sit 10 feet from a 9 foot wide screen.

Pip

·
Registered
787 Posts
Steve: I have the same equipment as you. Set the Apple TV to 4K SDR. Gamma D will never come on. Projectors are too dim to work very well with HDR anyway. You do loose the wider color gamut that comes with BT2020, but the ATV 4K content can still look great, with many 4K titles better than blu ray.

If only Apple would buy Panasonic's fantastic tone-mapping algorithm, we'd have it made. They can certainly afford it. Maybe some day. Until then I'm often amazed at the ATV 4K quality - and I sit 10 feet from a 9 foot wide screen.

Pip

I was just thinking that now. I was about to go test that out. You are right, HDR just is not there with projectors anyway. So as long it it does not affect the Atmos sound, I am good. I am a huge physical media person(I have 165 4k's and counting) but it would be nice to get some of the titles for a lot less, that just are not worth the $25-$30 a disc. Plus I was watching Guardians Vol 2 for about 15 mins on Netflix through the Apple TV and it looked really good. Heck even Spectrum thru the app looked better on my screen.

Thanks for the info, I will try it out now

Steve

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was just thinking that now. I was about to go test that out. You are right, HDR just is not there with projectors anyway. So as long it it does not affect the Atmos sound, I am good. I am a huge physical media person(I have 165 4k's and counting) but it would be nice to get some of the titles for a lot less, that just are not worth the $25-$30 a disc. Plus I was watching Guardians Vol 2 for about 15 mins on Netflix through the Apple TV and it looked really good. Heck even Spectrum thru the app looked better on my screen.

Thanks for the info, I will try it out now

Steve
I've been at it since Laser Discs. I've owned over 700 DVDs and now over 800 Blu-rays. With the combined difficulties of decent projector tone mapping and Gamma D, I decided to hold off on UHD discs for a while. Once I got the ATV 4K, I was glad I waited.

I'm a big movie buff, and have spent thousands on discs from new and better masters of classic films, even buying Region Bs from Europe if necessary. I'm still happy to support great reissues with fantastic supplements, etc.

But having seen the quality from the ATV 4K, I'm in no rush to quadruple dip for 4K discs. If you own the Blu ray, and have a digital code, Apple upgrades you to the 4K version for free. If I need to buy a new 4K, I'll wait for it to come down to $10, or even less.

And I really don't miss all those FBI warnings and auto playing piece of crap trailers that the studios have made us sit through as punishment for spending thousands of dollars to legally purchase their content.

Pip

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
But having seen the quality from the ATV 4K, I'm in no rush to quadruple dip for 4K discs.
The Panasonic UB820 is the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with Gamma D. The UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. For the UB820, all you'll need to do is turn on SDR2020 in the UB820 settings. This change means the projector will not see a "HDR" signal so it will not switch to Gamma D. You will need to set projector to use the BT2020 Color Profile (just like 4K HDR) and Gamma 2.4 (instead of Gamma D or Custom Gamma). I set my user modes up for quick switching: User1-HD, User2-4K, User3-3D. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a "full range" signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle. :cool:

The UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

I also made a JVC 4K QuickStart Guide that has some tips you might find useful.

If you own the Blu ray, and have a digital code, Apple upgrades you to the 4K version for free.
On a side note, I need to look into how this works. I have tons of HD & 4K Blu-rays but I sold off almost all of my digital copies...

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
The Panasonic UB820 is the answer for physical 4K media.
Unfortunately for network services and USB sources it doesn’t seem to work as well.

On a side note, I need to look into how this works. I have tons of HD & 4K Blu-rays but I sold off almost all of my digital copies...
The free upgrade to 4K is an Apple-specific policy. With other sites you only get HD, even for codes that come with UHD discs.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The only time the projector switches to D is when it initially receives the HDR tag. From that point forward it will not change back. If you pause your movie and it goes back out to the main menu it might happen again but it won't during movie playback. While it would be nice if the projector would not switch and just allow the user to pick a setting and it stay, it's just the way this projector operates and it's not a big deal at all. I switch from D to my custom curve and then I'm done for the duration of my movie. And as far as HDR not being ready for projectors? Please. I have one of the most challenging setups with a 152" ST130 with microperf and Chad has dialed in HDR amazingly. Would I like a higher nit level? Sure. But I have a level that still has HDR look amazing and would NEVER watch HD blu-ray again if a title is available in 4k HDR. FYI...it (HDR) was unwatchable prior to Chad's calibration. He is worth every penny! To watch SDR2020 when you can have access to a calibrator with experience getting the most out of the RS600 to display HDR properly like Chad (and he is the best) is IMHO a complete waste of owning this projector.

One note. I was initially frustrated with being constantly worried about D kicking on while watching a movie so I would continually pull up the projector menu during a movie to make sure my custom curve is selected and not D. Chad fixed that issue by "calibrating" D with an incredible amount of green push so if it kicks to D then I will absolutely know. I watch movies now with complete relaxation and don't even think about the stupid D kicking on while watching GLORIOUS HDR.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The only time the projector switches to D is when it initially receives the HDR tag. From that point forward it will not change back. If you pause your movie and it goes back out to the main menu it might happen again but it won't during movie playback. While it would be nice if the projector would not switch and just allow the user to pick a setting and it stay, it's just the way this projector operates and it's not a big deal at all. I switch from D to my custom curve and then I'm done for the duration of my movie. And as far as HDR not being ready for projectors? Please. I have one of the most challenging setups with a 152" ST130 with microperf and Chad has dialed in HDR amazingly. Would I like a higher nit level? Sure. But I have a level that still has HDR look amazing and would NEVER watch HD blu-ray again if a title is available in 4k HDR. FYI...it (HDR) was unwatchable prior to Chad's calibration. He is worth every penny! To watch SDR2020 when you can have access to a calibrator with experience getting the most out of the RS600 to display HDR properly like Chad (and he is the best) is IMHO a complete waste of owning this projector.

One note. I was initially frustrated with being constantly worried about D kicking on while watching a movie so I would continually pull up the projector menu during a movie to make sure my custom curve is selected and not D. Chad fixed that issue by "calibrating" D with an incredible amount of green push so if it kicks to D then I will absolutely know. I watch movies now with complete relaxation and don't even think about the stupid D kicking on while watching GLORIOUS HDR.
Hi Ray,

Yes that has been the case with Gamma D for me. I switch it over once and I am done for the rest of the movie with 4K discs/or any other 4K media. Now with the Apple TV 4K. The movies (seems to be the ones with DV like was noted already) keep switching it back to D everything 2-5 mins during playback. I can tell right away when it goes to D. I had now changed it to SDR 4K 24hz (I have an anamorphic lens and the RS600 can not stretch 60fps 4K). It worked very nice last night. I will keep playing around with it. I have 30 days to test it and still able to return it to BB. I am leaning toward keeping it so far

Dreamliner -- I will look into the UB820 :) Thanks for the info

Pip -- The 4k disc rarely if ever have trailers or previews.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi Ray,

Yes that has been the case with Gamma D for me. I switch it over once and I am done for the rest of the movie with 4K discs/or any other 4K media. Now with the Apple TV 4K. The movies (seems to be the ones with DV like was noted already) keep switching it back to D everything 2-5 mins during playback. I can tell right away when it goes to D. I had now changed it to SDR 4K 24hz (I have an anamorphic lens and the RS600 can not stretch 60fps 4K). It worked very nice last night. I will keep playing around with it. I have 30 days to test it and still able to return it to BB. I am leaning toward keeping it so far

Dreamliner -- I will look into the UB820 :) Thanks for the info

Pip -- The 4k disc rarely if ever have trailers or previews.
Ah, ok. Yeah, that would drive me absolutely nuts if it was continually doing it on ATV. I have the new ATV box in my theater as well but I have not watched any 4K movies from the iTunes store and if I stream HDR it's typically through the blu-ray player on Netflix and Amazon Prime apps. I am 100% exclusively watching 4K HDR through physical media. The ATV is really just to watch the large catalog of movies (blu-ray HD) on my home server that I ripped over the last few years. And that (watching ATV server movies) is rare as well.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ah, ok. Yeah, that would drive me absolutely nuts if it was continually doing it on ATV. I have the new ATV box in my theater as well but I have not watched any 4K movies from the iTunes store and if I stream HDR it's typically through the blu-ray player on Netflix and Amazon Prime apps. I am 100% exclusively watching 4K HDR through physical media. The ATV is really just to watch the large catalog of movies (blu-ray HD) on my home server that I ripped over the last few years. And that (watching ATV server movies) is rare as well.
I have also until yesterday, been 100% physical media with 4K. I am sure I will still buy 90% 4k discs even if I keep the Apple box. I just wanted an avenue to get some of the lesser wanted titles for a lot less(usually I wait until they go on sale $15 an under), but I notice some very recent 4K titles are already at $9.99 on iTunes and someone said they had a $4.99 sale just recently. Plus with being able to go down to 24fps with the Apple box now, it will work with my A lens.

I want the best PQ/Audio possible and I know all to well the disc is King. But with some lesser titles/comedy's/etc, I will "probably" be ok with streaming, as long as it sounds very good and looks near to the disc. The jury is still out on that, so we will see haha

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
In a word: probably. With a 100" diagonal screen a sharpness increase might be subtle unless you sit, say, less than 8 feet away from the screen. I've got a 135" diagonal screen and sit 14 ft away and with 4K UHD BDs there's a noticeable improvement in sharpness and color from my RS600. While my Lumagen Radiance as a processor isn't in the video chain any more because it does not do 4K, the sacrifice is worth the improvement in PQ with the 820 as source. The scaling to 4K with regular BDs is excellent and in my opinion superior to the RS600s e-shift alone. A HD Fury Integral or Linker is not needed, etc. If you haven't seen it already I suggest you see Kris Deering's review of the UB820 for a lot more information
Thanks very much for that info. Of course, I have the HD Fury device, to go along with Chad's efforts. One less device in the signal path is a good thing. You have convinced me. Now for them to go to the on-line Discounters. Hopefully not too long as the 9000 is out. I haven't understood why the distribution of the 820 has been so limited.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The Panasonic UB820 is the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with Gamma D. The UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. For the UB820, all you'll need to do is turn on SDR2020 in the UB820 settings. This change means the projector will not see a "HDR" signal so it will not switch to Gamma D. You will need to set projector to use the BT2020 Color Profile (just like 4K HDR) and Gamma 2.4 (instead of Gamma D or Custom Gamma). I set my user modes up for quick switching: User1-HD, User2-4K, User3-3D. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a "full range" signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle. :cool:

The UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

I also made a JVC 4K QuickStart Guide that has some tips you might find useful.

So, Chad gave me a setting for 2K material and a setting for 4K material (one for hi and one for low lamp) which used his custom curve for gamma (using the Fury HDR trigger blocker). Once I've put the 820 in the loop, set it to SDR 2020 and set the luminance to low, which setting do I use on the RS600 and is it the same for 2K and 4K material? In reading the above, it seems like I should use the 2K setting, which has the 2.4 gamma setting and not Chad's custom 4K gamma for all material.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
So, Chad gave me a setting for 2K material and a setting for 4K material (one for hi and one for low lamp) which used his custom curve for gamma (using the Fury HDR trigger blocker). Once I've put the 820 in the loop, set it to SDR 2020 and set the luminance to low, which setting do I use on the RS600 and is it the same for 2K and 4K material? In reading the above, it seems like I should use the 2K setting, which has the 2.4 gamma setting and not Chad's custom 4K gamma for all material.
The 2 Picture modes are for SDR and HDR respectively, not 2k or 4k per se. To get the best HDR using the UB820 SDR2020, you need to create another user Picture Mode, with settings similar to the HDR Picture Mode, but with the gamma changed to 2.4 instead of Imported. That will not affect the existing ones.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I agree with Dominic. For best results, SDR2020 is your 4K user mode but the only difference would be swapping out Custom Gamma for Gamma 2.4.

Specifically because you've been calibrated by Chad, I am very curious on your thoughts regarding SDR2020 once you get the UB820 and have the chance to compare. Please let us know what you think.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a light colored room, white ceiling, light rug and white plantation shutters. I have pretty good light control at night (just room reflections). I bought a SeymourAV Matinee Black Screen. Now, I know what I have been missing with this projector. Everyone with bat caves (I do not have a space for a bat cave), I am jealous. The dynamic range and pure black level with the RS500/Matinee Black is awesome. There are pros and cons with an ALR screen and the 1.4 gain. On most UHD disks, RS500, panasonic UB820 in SDR/2020 2.4 Gamma, and Matinee Black 1.4 Screen, the color saturation and dynamic range looks very similar to my OLED (in my light colored room!). It is not perfect as you can get some texture (in some bright scene sparkle - I had some texture in my previous Elite screen) but the overall picture is quite impressive and engaging. I am still evaluating if anyone is interested. Finally, I get to see some real native contrast ratio that the JVC is famous for!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree with Dominic. For best results, SDR2020 is your 4K user mode but the only difference would be swapping out Custom Gamma for Gamma 2.4.

Specifically because you've been calibrated by Chad, I am very curious on your thoughts regarding SDR2020 once you get the UB820 and have the chance to compare. Please let us know what you think.
Interesting. Now I want to run back and turn it all back on now to try this.

I just got my 9000 yesterday and plugged in my old Chad B settings to make a SDR2020 mode, but I didn't change the Gamma off of his custom. (and thought it was looking great) Guess I need to go see if 2.4 gives me any improvement.

Also liked the real HDR Low Luminance projector mode, but after seeing the SDR2020, I don't think it's really a contest anymore with what I prefer to see. (also nice that I don't have to deal with the ever changing Gamma D again too)

Reactions: COACH2369

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
31701 - 31720 of 32891 Posts