AVS Forum banner

32881 - 32900 of 32936 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
ARVE/NIT CLARIFICATION

Hi,
Quick question. Using a light meter, I have measured my peak NIT reading for my RS500 (high lamp, open iris) at 215 NIT. Setting aside whether my measurement is accurate, I am still a bit lost as to how to apply my measurement to the Arve Tool. Do I actually enter in 215 NIT? What is the relationship with the Arve tool "multiplier"?

I have spent several hours trying to find the answer with no luck. Any help you can provide would be great!

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
ARVE/NIT CLARIFICATION

Hi,
Quick question. Using a light meter, I have measured my peak NIT reading for my RS500 (high lamp, open iris) at 215 NIT. Setting aside whether my measurement is accurate, I am still a bit lost as to how to apply my measurement to the Arve Tool. Do I actually enter in 215 NIT? What is the relationship with the Arve tool "multiplier"?

I have spent several hours trying to find the answer with no luck. Any help you can provide would be great!
The links in my signature should answer your question. In particular, this one (post 3282):

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OK. Another Whopper of a question :). I am seeking the latest version of the JVC Macro Pack for Vertex. Because all of the links are now dead, and Manni does have it in his signature at the moment (at least it does not appear for me), can someone point me there. I would like to test these premade Gamma Curves for use with my Vertex2 in LLDV mode. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
OK. Another Whopper of a question :). I am seeking the latest version of the JVC Macro Pack for Vertex. Because all of the links are now dead, and Manni does have it in his signature at the moment (at least it does not appear for me), can someone point me there. I would like to test these premade Gamma Curves for use with my Vertex2 in LLDV mode. Thanks a lot!
The links are not in his signature but are in the first post of the Autocal thread. Here’s the one that includes the Macro Pack:

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Yup, in Texas we get a lot of thunderstorms mixed with lightning and hail. I pay a premium for my Home Insurance and I called them just to see if they will cover this loss. The adjuster sent some third party technician to my house. He looked at the malfunctioning projector and took some pictures of the model no. The adjuster got back to me today and said it will not be covered in my insurance because power surges do not come under the 16 things he listed. And those things he mentioned caused by natural disasters are unlikely to happen in your lifetime. I guess one more lesson learned in life :(
actually two lessons. 1. Dont pay premiums on insurance and 2. protect all your HT equipment with surge protector and backup battery.
I'm sorry your insurance sucks, I would find another provider. I keep everything disconnected myself.
I've had two power surge claims and my insurance company replaced every affected piece of equipment with new equal value stuff.
Of course I have paid over $150,000.00 in premiums over the last 20 years...maybe that has something to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just looking for a little feedback

Witch Custom curve would you recommend.

140inches
Carl's flex white
This winter I am painting it. Black flame
1.3g

@Dominic Chan

Yes I need black velvet on the ceiling it on my list.

These pics are from jvc x35
15feet from screen

Jvc 950 coming in the next week

·
Registered
270 Posts
Copy from Dreamline

Custom Curves Quick DIY

This guide encompasses every step you need to load custom curves onto your projector and get rocking with 4K HDR. All of this is reversible and none of it is permanent, so no worries. A custom curve will significantly increase the quality of your HDR content and it only takes about 30 minutes to follow the instructions below for the first time.

In step 3 I link to a couple different curves on this forum to download. Feel free to choose your own if you find one, there is no harm in trying different curves, the projector has 3 slots for custom curves and you can overwrite them as many times as you want. You can also make your own but that process is a bit different. More information here. If you are fresh to 4K now is the time to replace your HDMI cables or you will probably have problems, more information here. I have links to posts in my sig for a reason, look at them.

This is the quick and dirty guide and will get you what you want, quickly:

1) This is the JVC Calibration Software you want to import premade gamma curves, you can also use it later to do color calibration if you want. Install this software on a PC connected to the same network as your projector. Do this first. Connect your projector to your network, check the IP address of your projector in the settings menu and enter it into the settings screen (the gear) on the software and click 'check' to verify connection. (The PDF in step 4 explains this in more detail if you need it)

2) Download the BT2020 color profile from here. Its under step 2. (You might already have this loaded on your projector)

3) Download and try some curves from this post (download via his Dropbox link) (Thanks Javs) or this post (Thanks Manni) or this post (Thanks Dominic). Full credit to Javs, Manni and Dominic on these curves, I did not make them, they did. (Or feel free to use any other curve you find on the forum)

4) Use these Import Procedure directions to load the BT2020 profile you downloaded in step 2. (If you have trouble connecting your PC to your projector, follow these steps).

5) Use the same process as step 4 to load the custom gamma curve, but you select 'gamma' from the pull-down menu on the import/export screen instead of 'color profile'. If you really want brightness, I'd start with Javs "Javs 1200nit V3" gamma curve inside the "Autocal Versions" folder in his dropbox link and/or Manni's "Manni-HDR10-BC1K" gamma curve in his zip folder into and/or "Gamma3_30_Adjusted" into Custom 3 from Dominic. (Or feel free to use any other curve you find on the forum and load them to whichever custom slot you choose)

3/4/5 alternate) You can also load a curve or two using the ARVE tool and JAVS curves. This process is a bit more complicated but his recent V3 curves are very good. Curves and steps here. Javs has also provided the regular curves to import in step 4 but the Arve tool method will technically yield a slightly better result if you like his curves. (I personally saw no difference between the loaded curve and this method but it is ‘technically’ bettter).

6) Okay all done on the PC for now. Go to your projector and stick in a 4K disc get it loaded up so the movie is playing.

7) Now we're going to set up your picture settings for HDR movies on your projector. Press a User Mode on the remote (I have a few different profiles set up so my User 1 is for HD, User 2 is for HDR and User 3 is for 3D). Choose and press a user mode that makes sense to you, then go into the projector Picture Adjust Menu and change the color profile to BT.2020. Change Gamma to Custom 1 (or where you loaded the custom gamma from step 5), then right below that in the gamma screen, change correction value to Import. (Very important to select Import, otherwise it won't load the profile you imported in step 5). I'd also suggest turning on High Lamp, CMD Off, Auto Iris off, Iris Manual on 0 and Clear Black Low. (Iris, CMD & Clear Black is a preference though).

8) Going forward, once you put in a 4K movie, all you need to do is choose that user mode and it will recall all the settings from step 7. Then once the movie is actually playing, you just need to hit the gamma button to change from Gamma D to Custom 1 (the projector will always default to Gamma D). You can also rename the Picture Mode from "User 1, 2 or 3" to "HDR" or something to make it easier for you.

That's it. Basically, in recap, load in the BT2020 and custom gamma profile with the software, choose a user mode on the remote and select the BT2020 and custom gamma profiles.

All this will take about 20-30 minutes the first time. Its pretty quick. You can try different gamma curves in slot 2 & 3 also and overwrite them all as you see fit. Once you get the hang of it you will only spend like 2 minutes loading a gamma profile. REMEMBER, be CERTAIN the gamma correction value is set to IMPORT on the projector, otherwise it's just gamma normal

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
A good summary but the links don't work with the new forum software (at least on my computer). For example, the link to Jav's curves should be:

Also, it should be noted the 85-nits versions of Javs curves are brighter than his standard 105 nits curves, so those should be used for those who have very large screens.

The link to my curves is obsolete. The link to my latest curves is in my signature; it also contains Jav's curves that I have applied "black compensation" on, if you prefer more shadow details. My signature also contains a link showing how to create your own curves using Arve's Tool.

·
Registered
9,961 Posts
Screen is 140/ 239
1g
Projector 15ft from screen
The difference between what the online calculators say my FL should be versus what Chad actually measured in my room was about 25%, so I would have been WAAAY off if we hadn't actually started from a real world measurement. (And I'm in a bat cave, no windows, black paint on every surface, so.....I was already in an optimum space to see detail, but that 25% variance would have made it way too dim a curve if we hadn't done actual measurements.)

In the absence of doing a measurement, especially with that large a screen, I would tone map HDR gamma to SDR in the source device. My screen is smaller and I get less brightness from an RS500 even when the bulb in new than you are estimating.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thank you for the feedback.
When the time comes I'll get into measurements.

I am looking for a better base line then factory.

Trying out free Custom curves Is a great place to start.

I will be streaming or digital copy..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks to Manni, Javs, and Dominic (and many others), I have excellent HDR on my RS500 with no desire to upgrade until a good laser option. I use the Vertex to autoswitch Modes and profiles (it is slow but anyone can use the system). I have mix use room with bar and lighter walls, floor, ceiling. I installed a Seymour Matinee Wide (0.9 gain) ALR — improved black levels (Not like matinee black or black diamond), wide viewing angle, and minimal Sparkles/texture. My projector is at the back of the room - 19 ft from a 103” 16:9 screen.
So,for SDR, I use normal, 2.3 gamma, low lamp, and -6 on the iris. For streaming HDR, I use Dominic 60 nit curve, high lamp, iris wide open BT2020. It has good brightness, black levels, and highlights (NOTE: IF you are not bothered by sparkles, I also have the Seymour Matinee Black - it is OLED like! The sparkles bother me). For UHD disk, I use the Panasonic 820 on BT2020 & SDR - Optimizer at 4 on BT2020, gamma 2.3, high lamp, iris wide open—— truly excellent. I compared a few movies on my OLED - the projector now looks Very good for Brightness, color, details, highlights. Thanks everyone. (I wish I could find a screen with the Matinee Black contrast, gain, and no sparkles! - it is truly impressive to see - like the bat cave many people have - not an option for me).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have added a "whole house" surge supressor to my last two residences. It installs at the entry panel and is a heavy duty version of what is in outlet-level devices. It cost about $50 at Lowes and I installed it myself, but that requires the knowledge to get into your electrical circuits. This will protect all of the electrical equipment in your house. Many of today's appliances like ovens, microwaves and refrigerators contain micro-processors. This will not protect from a nearby lightning strike, but protects from strikes to an electric line near your location.
Yup, in Texas we get a lot of thunderstorms mixed with lightning and hail. I pay a premium for my Home Insurance and I called them just to see if they will cover this loss. The adjuster sent some third party technician to my house. He looked at the malfunctioning projector and took some pictures of the model no. The adjuster got back to me today and said it will not be covered in my insurance because power surges do not come under the 16 things he listed. And those things he mentioned caused by natural disasters are unlikely to happen in your lifetime. I guess one more lesson learned in life :(
actually two lessons. 1. Dont pay premiums on insurance and 2. protect all your HT equipment with surge protector and backup battery.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Has anyone had this issue with a DLA-X750R? This happens most of the time on power up. If I cycle the power, it always corrects itself, but its a pain to have the added power cycles and time.

It happens even if nothing is connected to the projector. It also seems to happen on either HDMI input...could it be a bad HDMI board?

32881 - 32900 of 32936 Posts