AVS Forum banner

32941 - 32960 of 32967 Posts

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Since you were all just discussing remote codes A/B, I have a question: I have 2 shelf mounted units, the RS 600 and the RS 2000. I use the 2000 for HDR content and the 600 for SDR. Currently I have the 2 projectors on separate switched outlets and depending on which one I want to use I manually switch that outlet on. It would be great just to be able to use my Harmony Elite remote to make the switch. I am assuming this is what the separate A/B codes are for, although it is not mentioned in the manual why there are a/b codes. I guess I am asking if this something folks do and is it a problem I would be creating. Much thanks
Bill
To have each projector respond only to commands intended for it, you can change one of them to Remote B code and make the corresponding change in the Harmony software; it’s called “Change IR Language”.
Then create separate activities such as “Watch SDR” and “Watch HDR”.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Watched Halloween 4K last night and noticed light flickering in dark scenes. I thought at first it was the IRIS so I disabled it and the light flickering was still there. I did some research and others have reported the same issue on multiple devices. Has anyone else noticed this issue on some 4K titles and if so was there a workaround? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Looks like a 4k Darbeevision is coming to the market in the spring of 2021. The original darbeevision enhanced my Runco Q750 and other .95 DLP projectors significantly, as well as other JVC projectors. If it works similar, I'm curious to how the perceived clarity and sharpness of the 4k eshift projectors are to the native 4k models. One of the noticeable features I noticed going from the RS520 to the RS2000/N7 was the clarity of the image compared to the eshift models. Should be a fun comparison.
I still use my Darblet for 1080p material.

·
Rookie Member
190 Posts
Thanks. That is why I was wondering about the a/b remote codes. My assumption is that setting the 600 as “a” and the 2000 as “b” would then give each projector a unique signature. I could be wrong. Why have this feature?

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
My assumption is that setting the 600 as “a” and the 2000 as “b” would then give each projector a unique signature.
That is indeed the reason for providing two sets of IR codes.

·
Registered
JVC RS500 | Yamaha RX-2070 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Klipsch RF-7 | Micca Ref Series Atmos | 21" Devs x 2
415 Posts
I own an RS500. Watched Saving Private Ryan tonight on 4K and the pic was amazing. I had CMD on (low) but after awhile I started noticing some flaring/streaking on different objects in the scene. It was very evident on an open fire in one scene. I don't have any other enhancements turned on. I switched CMD off and on again (low) and the picture returned to baseline. I am very familiar with the CMD banding but this was different than that. Anyone have any thoughts? I wish I had taken a pic but didn't.

Thank you!
Chad

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello friends. I have a RS500 and will be needing a new UHD bluray player. My Samsung M9500 that I have used for years just this week started popping up the screensaver while watching a blueray (I did a software upgrade and cant reverse it). Audio keeps going on but a black screen with Samsung logo floating around. So anyways I have not found a fix and figure this may be a good time to upgrade.

It use to be that the Panasonic UB820 was the one to get for tone mapping. Is that still the best UHD player for a JVC RS500 you all suggest?

Thank you all for your time
Jerry

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hello friends. I have a RS500 and will be needing a new UHD bluray player. ...

It use to be that the Panasonic UB820 was the one to get for tone mapping. Is that still the best UHD player for a JVC RS500 you all suggest?

Thank you all for your time
Jerry
If you don't have any non-JVC curves installed for HDR, and you're not using a Vertex, the Panny 820 or 420, is the way to go. Only difference between the two is Dolby Vision - which you can't use without a Vertex, etc.

Pip

·
Registered
691 Posts
Pip

Well Chad calibrated my projector a couple of years ago. Still looks amazing. But I only use a SDR setting and a HDR setting he made for me. I adjust the contrast for HDR movies to look good to my eyes. A real pain and really stops me from watching more 4k disc. I have HDR turned off on my Apple TV.

Will the Panny adjust the "tone" so that I don't need to increase the contrast? Sorry that I'm not to knowledgeable about these things.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Yes the panasonic can be set to convert the HDR to a more compatible level though there is still a slider in the panasonic that people sometimes use on the fly to dial it in even more on a per title basis.

I hate to admit it but often a good SDR signal will be easier and look good so doing what you do on your ATV4k (output 4k SDR) is a great option, even if it means you dont get the wide color gamut.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Pip

Well Chad calibrated my projector a couple of years ago. Still looks amazing. ...I adjust the contrast for HDR movies to look good to my eyes. A real pain and really stops me from watching more 4k disc. I have HDR turned off on my Apple TV.

Will the Panny adjust the "tone" so that I don't need to increase the contrast? Sorry that I'm not to knowledgeable about these things.
Yes the panasonic can be set to convert the HDR to a more compatible level ...

I hate to admit it but often a good SDR signal will be easier and look good so doing what you do on your ATV4k (output 4k SDR) is a great option, even if it means you dont get the wide color gamut.
Complete agreement with Nathan.

Horta: From your description, it seems like the Panny is just the ticket for you to enjoy your 4K discs. My guess is that after you adjust the Dynamic Conversion slider once, you will never even think about it again. Your 4K discs will look great.

Pip

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ok cool. I will order the 820. My installer that programs my RTI remote just told me he is book 4 weeks out, Darn!!!

·
Registered
JVC RS500 | Yamaha RX-2070 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Klipsch RF-7 | Micca Ref Series Atmos | 21" Devs x 2
415 Posts
The Panny 420 will do the same thing only it doesn’t do DV.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't think so but I must admit, I am not an expert in the subject. I do know my 4k with the 420 tone map looks great.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Question: If one is using the Panny to tone map to a specific display capability anyway, does DV capability matter much?
The Panasonic tonemaps using static metadata (one per movie). DV provides scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame metadata.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Interesting that I was about to post the question related to HDR/DV and there is a discussion going on. I use RS500 and it was calibrated by Chad a few years ago. I also have Linker in the chain to provide iris for HDR. I have been using UB 900 which doesn't provide tone mapping. HDR doesn't look too bad but today I was watching Netflix on my OLED TV and realized that most of the titles are in Dolby Vision. I launch Netflix for projector using UB 900 and it shows the titles as HDR instead of Dolby Vision. Is that ok or my UB 900 is messing things up?

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
That's normal because the JVC does not support Dolby Vision.* The display and player do a negotiation. The display tells the player what formats it can accept. And the player sends that out. In the case of the JVC and basically all projectors, the best format they can accept is HDR10.

----
*There is a famous hack to use the HD Fury Vertex (and maybe some other HDFury devices) to "trick" some players that have the ability to send a particular version of DV called Low Latency Dobly Vision to actually use the DV metadata to adjust the content on the fly using the DV meta data....but even then, by the time the content reaches the projector, to the projector is just looks like HDR10. There is a whole thread here on AVS about this hack.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
That's normal because the JVC does not support Dolby Vision.* The display and player do a negotiation. The display tells the player what formats it can accept. And the player sends that out. In the case of the JVC and basically all projectors, the best format they can accept is HDR10.

----
*There is a famous hack to use the HD Fury Vertex (and maybe some other HDFury devices) to "trick" some players that have the ability to send a particular version of DV called Low Latency Dobly Vision to actually use the DV metadata to adjust the content on the fly using the DV meta data....but even then, by the time the content reaches the projector, to the projector is just looks like HDR10. There is a whole thread here on AVS about this hack.
Thx. I have been using UB900. Is moving to UB820 is good move because it supports tone mapping? Would HDR get noticeably better considering so many titles now on Netflix are in HDR? I use 1.3 gain screen with light control room and black velvet around the screen to maximize the display (just an FYI).

32941 - 32960 of 32967 Posts