AVS Forum banner

32961 - 32980 of 33045 Posts

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
That's hard to say. Most Netflix hdr is mastered to 1000 nits peak if I recall correctly and that's probably what Chad targeted when he did a custom hdr gamma for you?

I suppose the 820 tone mapping might be useful for uhd disks that are mastered for higher peak brightness but I have not used one, myself. So that is conjecture.

Honestly once my lamp starts to age I can't even reach 100nits on my setup at which point sending sdr gamma tends to look better than my custom hdr curve with hdr content......which I know is sacrilege but.....on some content, it's true.

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
Honestly once my lamp starts to age I can't even reach 100nits on my setup at which point sending sdr gamma tends to look better than my custom hdr curve with hdr content......which I know is sacrilege but.....on some content, it's true.
Not at all. This is actually the recommended setup for projectors that do not have dynamic tone mapping (i.e., most). You’re still watching HDR, except the ST.2084 EOTF (“HDR gamma”) and the tone mapping are done by the player rather than by the projector.
Note, however, the built-in Netflix app does not work properly in this mode, and will be sending Rec709 only, not wide-gamut.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looking to upgrade my JVC RS500 projector. It is ceiling mounted in excellent condition. Anyone interested let me know! I can email or send you pics. I have upgraded it to the latest firmware online. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Thx. I have been using UB900. Is moving to UB820 is good move because it supports tone mapping? Would HDR get noticeably better considering so many titles now on Netflix are in HDR? I use 1.3 gain screen with light control room and black velvet around the screen to maximize the display (just an FYI).
Do note that with the UB820 in SDR BT2020 output mode with HDR Optimizer turned ON (full tone mapping mode), it does not work with Netflix. Instead of HDR, the Netflix App will output a 4K SDR stream and the Optimizer does not work on SDR. This is probably a bug in the Netflix App that will never be fixed.

Amazon HDR content works properly in SDR BT2020 output mode.

In HDR output mode, the HDR Optimizer does work with Netflix.

Reactions: Reezepees and Pip

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Do note that with the UB820 in SDR BT2020 output mode with HDR Optimizer turned ON (full tone mapping mode), it does not work with Netflix. Instead of HDR, the Netflix App will output a 4K SDR stream and the Optimizer does not work on SDR. This is probably a bug in the Netflix App that will never be fixed.

Amazon HDR content works properly in SDR BT2020 output mode.

In HDR output mode, the HDR Optimizer does work with Netflix.
Thx for the info. I am hoping that you had UB900 version as well which didn't have HDR Optimizer to evaluate how well HDR Optimizer works. I don't disable HDR so Optimizer not working in SDR more is fine. Why would you want to disable it?

On another point, I use Severtson 1.3 perf screen and my GOD this screen material is freak** amazing. I first had it installed on my custom screen frame using pins but the material is a perf and elastic and would loosen up. Recently I though of a better way to mount the material. Basically using small wood pieces and pressed the edge b/w frame and wood and screwed the wood pieces 1 by 1. Once I was done, the material was nicely installed and stretched. The image got good before but now with material properly installed, the pop I get with my RS500 is crazy. Using a 135" 2:35 screen. Watching "I Am Mother" on Netflix was a treat to eyes and ears at the same time. Chad calibrated my project years ago and it still puts an amazing picture. The contrast pops. Blacks are amazing. Just to let you guys know that I use OLED TV as my general viewing/gaming and this projector still makes me say wow. OLED has more punch/black of course but mann still this projector is no joke when met with a proper screen material. Oh I also have Black velvet ~3 feet all around the screen.

Claw, is there a BIG difference b/w my RS500 and newer models with similar price range? I'm very happy with my projector but wondering if JVC has done anything better as compare to RS500.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I still have my RS500. I have not upgraded yet. I never owned a UB900.

I bought the UB820 for its SDR BT2020 mode with HDR Optimizer. It replaced my Oppo 203 with its broken SDR BT2020 tone mapping.

Since then I have moved on and built a MadVR PC for UHD disc tone mapping, and BD disc upscaling. And use an HDfury device to get Low Latency Dolby Vision (LLDV) output from my Apple TV 4K sent to my RS500. This combo for disc and for streaming services means my UB820 and Oppo don't get much use any more.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Anyone know how much running in high lamp will shorten the lamp life? I've upgraded to a larger screen and now I run in high lamp some of the time. thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
Since then I have moved on and built a MadVR PC for UHD disc tone mapping, and BD disc upscaling. And use an HDfury device to get Low Latency Dolby Vision (LLDV) output from my Apple TV 4K sent to my RS500. This combo for disc and for streaming services means my UB820 and Oppo don't get much use any more.
Hey Claw, I also use MadVR for discs, but I haven't sorted out a solution for streaming. (and Mandalorian season 2 is about to come out!) So I'm researching how to do the LLDV hack with an HdFury and Apple TV as I have both. Does it also require setting up a custom curve on the projector? I assume that you are still left with an HDR signal into the projector?
thanks, I'm just trying to decide if it worth figuring out how to set this up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey Claw, I also use MadVR for discs, but I haven't sorted out a solution for streaming. (and Mandalorian season 2 is about to come out!)
For anyone interested, 4k SDR for Mandalorian via an Apple TV looks great. I imagine the tone mapped HDR would look better, but the SDR stream is very watchable.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
For anyone interested, 4k SDR for Mandalorian via an Apple TV looks great. I imagine the tone mapped HDR would look better, but the SDR stream is very watchable.
hi, I watched this in SDR and HDR on the RS600 and the LG CX OLED TV. I noticed the raised black floor throughout the episode which Vincent confirmed in the analysis below. Colors are muted rarely going outside of Rec709 and the brightest scenes with the sun were only ~400 nits.

I rarely watch TV shows but the Mandalorian has me hooked, I like all the characters. Doom Patrol is another one I can't get enough of and both seasons are definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Guys,

I was told to ask my query in this thread. I recently purchased a JVC x9000, actually I think the member i purchased it off is also on this forum :) .

My JVC automatically defaults to Gamma D whenever HDR is displayed which then ends up being way too dark. I have tried changing to another gamma setting which is lighter but it goes back to Gamma D again by default. Doesnt it remember which Gamma settings i want to use or is it that I need to setup Gamma D and just affect the other settings in it to make it brighter? When its in 4K and 2K its fine, its only for HDR. The other thing (probably cant change this) is it takes a while for image to get displayed everytime it switches from HDR back to the standard 4K display for instance if i am on a xbox 1 and i presume its the same for any source. And its just to do with the settings / other changes being applied by the projector for going from HDR to non-HDR.

I have been since informed, I may need a HDFury to take care of the auto switching to Gamma D. As well as upload better gamma curves (which i am not sure how to do), is it by connecting it up via ethernet or using a USB flash drive.

I noticed some people mention firmware updates, Mine has U82 i believe. or was it U83. Is that the latest?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
hi, I watched this in SDR and HDR on the RS600 and the LG CX OLED TV. I noticed the raised black floor throughout the episode which Vincent confirmed in the analysis below. Colors are muted rarely going outside of Rec709 and the brightest scenes with the sun were only ~400 nits.

I rarely watch TV shows but the Mandalorian has me hooked, I like all the characters. Doom Patrol is another one I can't get enough of and both seasons are definitely worth checking out.

Mandalorian is awesome. Did u notice how the aspect ratios change during the dragon fight?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
What are you seeing in normal behavior for the JVC projectors.

1. Gamma D: Yep it will always choose this with an HDR signal, no matter what you want.* You CAN purchase a device from HDFury to trick the JVC. It tells the JVC that the signal is NOT an HDR signal. So the JVC does not switch to gamma D. Of course, it won't look right in any of the other Gamma's either. So:

2. You can create/upload a custom Gamma curve optimized for HDR. I won't go into all the details here, since they are elsewhere in this thread. In summary:
  • You can choose to use someone elses custom curve, and that may give you acceptable performance.
  • Or you can create your OWN custom curve (with measurement and calibation test signals).
  • Or you can hire a professional calibrator who is experienced in created custom curves. Chad is one popular name in this space. (I went this third route.)

3. Or you can just watch content in SDR. I have found that after my bulb dims a bit (ie, 1000 hours) that watching content in SDR definitely looks better than watching it in HDR. It also has the advantage that I can use the low lamp mode for SDR but in my setup for HDR I must use high lamp mode. (8 foot wide screen, acoustically transparent so about .8 gain, in a bat cave style room, professional calibrated).

4. The long wait time for changing between image sources is an unfortunate but normal behavior for JVC projectors. Later models shaved several seconds off this.

-------------
*I should note that there ARE some instructions for modifying Gamma D to make it less horrible. Some people are quite happy with those instructions. They are on the JVC web site. Personally, I think SDR looks better.

Hi Guys,

I was told to ask my query in this thread. I recently purchased a JVC x9000, actually I think the member i purchased it off is also on this forum :) .

My JVC automatically defaults to Gamma D whenever HDR is displayed which then ends up being way too dark. I have tried changing to another gamma setting which is lighter but it goes back to Gamma D again by default. Doesnt it remember which Gamma settings i want to use or is it that I need to setup Gamma D and just affect the other settings in it to make it brighter? When its in 4K and 2K its fine, its only for HDR. The other thing (probably cant change this) is it takes a while for image to get displayed everytime it switches from HDR back to the standard 4K display for instance if i am on a xbox 1 and i presume its the same for any source. And its just to do with the settings / other changes being applied by the projector for going from HDR to non-HDR.

I have been since informed, I may need a HDFury to take care of the auto switching to Gamma D. As well as upload better gamma curves (which i am not sure how to do), is it by connecting it up via ethernet or using a USB flash drive.

I noticed some people mention firmware updates, Mine has U82 i believe. or was it U83. Is that the latest?

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
is it that I need to setup Gamma D and just affect the other settings in it to make it brighter?
This post provides some suggestions on “optimizing” Gamma D:

·
Registered
424 Posts

Ya it's nice to see some top notch TV content out there. Plus Mandalorian is using cool technology considering they're using a big LED wall for the backdrop etc.

Which do you prefer, the SDR, or the tone mapped HDR?

32961 - 32980 of 33045 Posts