AVS Forum banner

32961 - 32967 of 32967 Posts

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
That's hard to say. Most Netflix hdr is mastered to 1000 nits peak if I recall correctly and that's probably what Chad targeted when he did a custom hdr gamma for you?

I suppose the 820 tone mapping might be useful for uhd disks that are mastered for higher peak brightness but I have not used one, myself. So that is conjecture.

Honestly once my lamp starts to age I can't even reach 100nits on my setup at which point sending sdr gamma tends to look better than my custom hdr curve with hdr content......which I know is sacrilege but.....on some content, it's true.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Honestly once my lamp starts to age I can't even reach 100nits on my setup at which point sending sdr gamma tends to look better than my custom hdr curve with hdr content......which I know is sacrilege but.....on some content, it's true.
Not at all. This is actually the recommended setup for projectors that do not have dynamic tone mapping (i.e., most). You’re still watching HDR, except the ST.2084 EOTF (“HDR gamma”) and the tone mapping are done by the player rather than by the projector.
Note, however, the built-in Netflix app does not work properly in this mode, and will be sending Rec709 only, not wide-gamut.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking to upgrade my JVC RS500 projector. It is ceiling mounted in excellent condition. Anyone interested let me know! I can email or send you pics. I have upgraded it to the latest firmware online. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
Thx. I have been using UB900. Is moving to UB820 is good move because it supports tone mapping? Would HDR get noticeably better considering so many titles now on Netflix are in HDR? I use 1.3 gain screen with light control room and black velvet around the screen to maximize the display (just an FYI).
Do note that with the UB820 in SDR BT2020 output mode with HDR Optimizer turned ON (full tone mapping mode), it does not work with Netflix. Instead of HDR, the Netflix App will output a 4K SDR stream and the Optimizer does not work on SDR. This is probably a bug in the Netflix App that will never be fixed.

Amazon HDR content works properly in SDR BT2020 output mode.

In HDR output mode, the HDR Optimizer does work with Netflix.

Reactions: Pip
32961 - 32967 of 32967 Posts