AVS Forum banner

33041 - 33060 of 33112 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
The RS600 should work the same way as the RS2000. There are cases, however, where you have to “cold boot” the projector (disconnect the power cord and reconnect), before DHCP works.
BTW, there is a dedicated Autocal thread for the RS500/600.
I had the same problem with my windows based PC Windows 7. It was always difficult to connect my Rs500. At one point, I just gave up. I changed to my MACPro running parallels window 10. I never had a connecting problem again. It connected every time and easily.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looks like an internal reflection, well as much as can be seen in a screen shot. It could be a dirty lens but seems a bit too well defined for that.

Do you have the projector level with the screen or a small vertical offset? These projectors are known to have some internal lens reflections, mine has almost maximum offset and the spot appears on the velvet bass trap above my screen so as good as invisible.

You could test if it's that, just temporarily lens shift up or down and see if it ends up in a different position within the frame.
So I had some time to do some lens shifting today and the spot remained at the same spot on the screen the entire time instead of moving with my shift. I guess that means it’s a spot on the screen itself?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe. Turn off the projector and shine a flashlight on the screen at and around that point. (I asume you cannot see the screen blemish with the room lights on.)
Correct, you can not see it with the lights on.

Just put a flashlight on the screen and I can barely see it! Progress!! Thank you so much! So now I’ll try cleaning the screen with some distilled water and some mild detergent.

Thanks again! Just glad it wasn’t the projector

Nick

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hey Everyone. I've spent some time trying to catch up (over 2 years), but while I've found great info (and have some questions about it below), I'm still trying to piece it together.

Here's my situation:

1) (Amazing Still) JVC RS500 projector
2) Older 1080p only AVR

Want to try out getting some 4k content into the JVC. While some HDMI sources have settings to optimize this (some 4k Bluray players), if I want a general solution for any source it looks like the Integral 2 is a good solution?

I'd appreciate thoughts or pointers on the following

1) Do people agree the integral 2 is appropriate or needed?
2) For example, would I have the integral strip HDR from the content (in addition to dealing with my 4k input on the JVC and 1080p input on the AVR)?
3) What's the opinion regarding sending HDR to the PJ vs. having the content converted from 2020 to 709?
4) If the integral converts the content, there's no need for custom (Manni01) curves, right?
5) I see the latest integral has macros automatically select the right curve based on the content, are people using that?

Anyway, appreciate any starting points to try and catch up with the steps. And much thanks to the community.

... Altan

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anyone have the eBay member name of the guy that sells the official oem replacement bulbs?

·
Registered
11,700 Posts

It is needed to avoid Gamma D which was jvc's failed attempt at hdr gamma. an HDFury device removes the hdr flag so the jvc doesn't go into the bad hdr mode. The integral may not be the ideal choice depending on what you want to do.

But note that if you strip the flag then you need a custom hdr curve and you have to manually select it each time you watch hdr content.

2) For example, would I have the integral strip HDR from the content (in addition to dealing with my 4k input on the JVC and 1080p input on the AVR)?

Well yes the device can strip to flag. Stepping up to the vertex will let you automate things Like switching the jvc to your custom gamma curve.

3) What's the opinion regarding sending HDR to the PJ vs. having the content converted from 2020 to 709?

I think sdr 709 looks great on our projectors.

4) If the integral converts the content, there's no need for custom (Manni01) curves, right?

Sorry wrong.
First it does not convert the content. It simply strips metadata, and can also tell the source device what to send.

Second to get decent hdr on our projectors you need a custom curve. You can download those that other people created but they seldom work great because the best settings are based on measuring the projector in your room with your screen.

5) I see the latest integral has macros automatically select the right curve based on the content, are people using that?

Yes the vertex can do that if you have created a custom curve for it to select on the jvc.

Some of this also depends on your sources. I use the Atv4k. The advantage is it can be tricked into doing tone mapping before sending our the hdr signal, though a custom curve is still required.

The ATV4k can't output 4k sdr 2020 but some blue ray players like some Panasonic's can I think, which is. Ice because you get wide color without a custom hdr curve.

All that being said Even though I have a custom hdr curve from a professional calibrator and I have full automation on the vertex for selecting the right mode on the jvc and I have the ability to get tone mapped dv out of my Atv4k, I still end up watching most content in sdr 709 because it allows me to have better black levels, lower lamp mode, and get longer usable life out of my lamp.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The solution is a lumagen radiance pro. Best picture I have ever seen

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Huge thanks for the reply.

You pointed out something I'd forgotten and didn't see when trying to read-up on this topic: when the JVC sees HDR, it goes into bright lamp mode. It also disables dynamic iris, correct?

But note that if you strip the flag then you need a custom hdr curve and you have to manually select it each time you watch hdr content.
Just to clarify, if the flag is stripped that just stops the JVC from forcing gamma D. The JVC is still receiving HDR data, which is why the custom curves are still needed. Correct?

Sorry wrong.
First it does not convert the content. It simply strips metadata, and can also tell the source device what to send.
Appreciate the clarification. I thought the HDFury / Integral would take HDR content and convent it to SDR via appropriate tone mapping and color space conversion.

I still end up watching most content in sdr 709 because it allows me to have better black levels, lower lamp mode, and get longer usable life out of my lamp.
What general process do you use to achieve this (4k content with SDR 709)? Are you using the HDFury/Integral to tell the source that the JVC supports 4k with only SDR?

Is it true that some source devices (such as ApplyTV 4k) don't support 4k SDR? I was a bit confused because you wrote that "ATV4k can't output 4k sdr 2020" and then wrote you watch most of your content in SDR.

Is there a device that will take 4k HDR content and convert it to 4k SDR content, allowing pretty much any 4k HDR source to work with the RS500? Or do most people have "one off" setups that work with, for example, this 4k Bluray player or this other device.

BTW, anyone have experience using the Nvidia shield and the RS500? I've read that it supports outputting 4k HDR content to 4k SDR devices with tone mapping.

Appreciate the input!

... Altan

·
Registered
304 Posts
none of the devices are converting anything to SDR. they are taking HDR putting it in a SDR "container" so the JVC doesnt "think" its HDR. the device then supplies proper tone mapping to match the nits of the display

Panasonic 4k players do this but static (one size fits all for each movie)
oppo do it but not nearly as well as the panny

the video processors do it the best using Dynamic Tone mapping whihc does it frame to frame. these would be the lumagen pro and the Madvr both a big bucks but like getting a new projector they are THAT good

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
Huge thanks for the reply.

You pointed out something I'd forgotten and didn't see when trying to read-up on this topic: when the JVC sees HDR, it goes into bright lamp mode. It also disables dynamic iris, correct?
Definitely disables the dynamic iris. Been so long I don't recall about bright lamp mode. But for most of us, even when using a custom curve, bright lamp mode is required to get good HDR performance. (Yet another reason why SDR can be preferable.)

Just to clarify, if the flag is stripped that just stops the JVC from forcing gamma D. The JVC is still receiving HDR data, which is why the custom curves are still needed. Correct?
Correct.

Appreciate the clarification. I thought the HDFury / Integral would take HDR content and convent it to SDR via appropriate tone mapping and color space conversion.
Nope. It just tells the source device what to send (and the Fury device also can strip or add false meta data, to impact what the projector does, like not choosing Gamma D.

What general process do you use to achieve this (4k content with SDR 709)? Are you using the HDFury/Integral to tell the source that the JVC supports 4k with only SDR?
Actually, for 4k SDR 709, my main source is an ATV4k and it can send this signal without the Fury device at all. It has that option.

Is it true that some source devices (such as ApplyTV 4k) don't support 4k SDR? I was a bit confused because you wrote that "ATV4k can't output 4k sdr 2020" and then wrote you watch most of your content in SDR.
I can't speak to all source devices, but the ATV4k can output 4k SDR 709 no problem. It cannot output 4k SDR 2020 -- even with the Fury tricking it, as far as I know. Some Blu-ray 4k players like the Oppo and maybe some Panasonic players can output 4k sdr 2020. I have't used that feature in a long time so I don't recall which players need the Fury device to trick them versus which disk plays can just be configured that way. I think the Oppo could just be configured that way, without a Fury. I may be recalling incorrectly.

Is there a device that will take 4k HDR content and convert it to 4k SDR content, allowing pretty much any 4k HDR source to work with the RS500?
Maybe there is such a device. But as long as you don't mind rec 2020 color, it is not needed. The Fury cannot convert HDR to SDR.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
none of the devices are converting anything to SDR. they are taking HDR putting it in a SDR "container" so the JVC doesnt "think" its HDR. the device then supplies proper tone mapping to match the nits of the display

Panasonic 4k players do this but static (one size fits all for each movie)
oppo do it but not nearly as well as the panny

the video processors do it the best using Dynamic Tone mapping whihc does it frame to frame. these would be the lumagen pro and the Madvr both a big bucks but like getting a new projector they are THAT good
The other interesting twist is using the Fury device to tell the player that the display is an Dolby Vision LLDV display, in which case the player does dynamic tone mapping to the DV signal, outputting an HDR signal that is more optimized to what it thinks the display can handle.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Definitely disables the dynamic iris. Been so long I don't recall about bright lamp mode.
It only changes the gamma, not the colour profile or lamp power.

The Fury cannot convert HDR to SDR.
The HD Fury Diva can convert HDR to SDR, but only outputs 1080p Rec.709.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Does JVC not do blanket advanced replacements?

My NX7 has developed an issue with the Iris (it always starts at a very very low value, and I have to manually move the slider for it to come back up.

JVC customer service is asking me to send them the projector and fixing it, vs doing an advanced replacement. Is that the right response? Their marketing seems to suggest that they do advanced replacement. I might be out of the projector for 2-3 weeks - is there any way to convince / pressure JVC to do an advance replacement?

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Thanks, Dominic. Good corrections to add. I can't imagine a common use case for converting to 1080p SDR 709 rather than just choosing that in a source device, but I'll bet it solves for some situations that otherwise prove problematic.
One such case would be when you have a 4K TV and a 1080p projector connected to the same source, and do not want to keep changing the settings.

·
Registered
11,700 Posts

My NX7 has developed an issue with the Iris (it always starts at a very very low value, and I have to manually move the slider for it to come back up.

JVC customer service is asking me to send them the projector and fixing it, vs doing an advanced replacement. Is that the right response? Their marketing seems to suggest that they do advanced replacement. I might be out of the projector for 2-3 weeks - is there any way to convince / pressure JVC to do an advance replacement?
You may want to post in the thread about your projector.

I had a RS20 that needed service and they definitely made me wait while they worked on it and it took a few weeks for sure.

In the end, it was a good fix. They completely replaced the optical block, which allegedly cost more than the projector was worth at that point, and it worked great from there forward.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
Hey Everyone. I've spent some time trying to catch up (over 2 years), but while I've found great info (and have some questions about it below), I'm still trying to piece it together.

Here's my situation:

1) (Amazing Still) JVC RS500 projector
2) Older 1080p only AVR

Want to try out getting some 4k content into the JVC. While some HDMI sources have settings to optimize this (some 4k Bluray players), if I want a general solution for any source it looks like the Integral 2 is a good solution?

Anyway, appreciate any starting points to try and catch up with the steps. And much thanks to the community.

... Altan

- The Integral 2 has the JVC macros just like the Vertex does so you can automatically control which picture mode via RS232 commands switches to based on content type. This is very useful since you need to have the Integral 2 disable HDR so the JVC does not use Gamma D or disable the Dynamic Iris.

- The Vertex 2, Diva, and Maestro have an additional JVC RS232 Macro that recognizes LLDV Dolby Vision which is almost a requirement if you plan on having the HDfury device trick your players into thinking that they are connected to a Dolby Vision display device, and want to use the Macros.

- As mentioned by others, the HDfury device Disable HDR option does not convert HDR to SDR. Only disables the HDR metadata so that the JVC does not recognize it as HDR. It is still HDR and requires an HDR curve.

As mentioned by others, the Integral 2 cannot convert HDR to SDR. You still need a custom curve to replace the broken Gamma D.

The Panasonic UB820 can tone map HDR to SDR BT2020 or REC709 and does a good job of it. The Oppo 203 can tone map HDR to SDR BT2020 or REC709 but the tone mapping to SDR BT2020 is broken and will never be fixed.

A MadVR based PC can tone map HDR to SDR BT2020 or to SDR REC709. The MadVR based Envy and Lumagen can tone map all HDR source content but cost is in the thousands.

But there is no low cost device than can do so for all input.

- I have a Diva and use the macros. It requires a RS232 connection to the projector. The Integral 2 does not have the LLDV macro, otherwise it has the same macros as the Diva. The macros are very helpful in automating content type to user mode selection in the JVC.

33041 - 33060 of 33112 Posts