AVS Forum banner

33201 - 33214 of 33214 Posts

·
Rookie Member
266 Posts
that was waaaay before tone mapping. even now the 4242 is a much different machine than even a year ago. but yes you want a radiance pro. the numbers are just like you said input/output

there are also C and C+ models that are the same thing in a smaller case and saves you some money

but on the used market you can find a pro for 3-3500
Looks like the used market is rather tight. B stock would cost an additional 1k

·
Registered
490 Posts
I put a WTB post in AVS classifieds and immediately received an obvious scam reply as a private conversation.
unreal. I had one on here too. he was willing to sell one for 1500. i used paypal so i was covered. he never shipped so i asked for a refund he sent it immediately so was a weird scam lmao

·
Registered
888 Posts
Assuming you have a computer with a reasonable GPU (Nvidia 1070, 1660, etc), you could try madVR, its tone mapping capabilities are on par with the Lumagen, so you would be able to understand the benefits of a proper HDR -> SDR tone mapping.
The learning curve is a bit steep, but its well worth it. All the details here:
- Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR

·
Rookie Member
266 Posts
Assuming you have a computer with a reasonable GPU (Nvidia 1070, 1660, etc), you could try madVR, its tone mapping capabilities are on par with the Lumagen, so you would be able to understand the benefits of a proper HDR -> SDR tone mapping.
The learning curve is a bit steep, but its well worth it. All the details here:
- Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR
I considered this possibility awhile back before MadVR became a retail product. I specked out the parts and then it seemed a hill too steep to climb. I should revisit as the Lumagen is certainly not plug and play, I would need an installer and the cost involved there. This is all the reason I stepped up to the RS2000 awhile back, it was certainly easy. But I really like the idea of getting more out of this projector, and it is inspiring hearing all your stories about how HDR is achievable. Thanks

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Ditto on the thanks for this. Most people on forums like this have owner/upgrade-bias so it’s hard to discern “worth it” and “fair criticism” type things.

I will say though, when I went from the RS46 to the RS400 I wondered why I waited so long, lol. To be fair, the cost of an NX upgrade is significantly more. I just hope JVC never drops 3D support.
I have a 640 with the dolbi hack and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Maybe when 8k is avaliable but not for now..

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
An installer is not needed. Trust me. Just a little reading and getting used to the menu system.

Reactions: Bill DePalma

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I considered this possibility awhile back before MadVR became a retail product. I specked out the parts and then it seemed a hill too steep to climb. I should revisit as the Lumagen is certainly not plug and play, I would need an installer and the cost involved there. This is all the reason I stepped up to the RS2000 awhile back, it was certainly easy. But I really like the idea of getting more out of this projector, and it is inspiring hearing all your stories about how HDR is achievable. Thanks
It might be worth considering the Envy as well. I went this route in the fall with my NX7, and have been extremely pleased with it. Setup was quite straight forward, and they can even remotely log in directly to the Envy if desired.

I've posted about my experience in the thread for the new generation of JVC's, and as much as I am appreciating the much better HDR performance, its ability to control Aspect Ratio, and in particular Subtitles, is extremely helpful with my Scope screen.

Just my $.02 worth. Always good to consider all the options before deciding what would be best for you.

Reactions: 187crew003

·
Rookie Member
266 Posts
It might be worth considering the Envy as well. I went this route in the fall with my NX7, and have been extremely pleased with it. Setup was quite straight forward, and they can even remotely log in directly to the Envy if desired.

I've posted about my experience in the thread for the new generation of JVC's, and as much as I am appreciating the much better HDR performance, its ability to control Aspect Ratio, and in particular Subtitles, is extremely helpful with my Scope screen.

Just my $.02 worth. Always good to consider all the options before deciding what would be best for you.
I am afraid that cost is going to be even more than a Lumagen. I remember a bit better now why I did not try to build a HTPC, lack of experience. I do have a nice Nvidia 1080 card that I could use but building the rest would be a challenge. Remember, I cannot even get a connection from computer to the JVC.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I am afraid that cost is going to be even more than a Lumagen. I remember a bit better now why I did not try to build a HTPC, lack of experience. I do have a nice Nvidia 1080 card that I could use but building the rest would be a challenge. Remember, I cannot even get a connection from computer to the JVC.
Yeah, none of the video processors are cheap. I haven't compared prices recently, and I guess the Lumagen can vary quite a bit depending on the number of inputs and outputs you need. The Envy uses a different strategy, so only one input is present or needed, but it's not cheap.

I considered the HTPC route, but decided that for me it wasn't worth the hassle. If I were starting now, and could digitize my discs as I bought them, I might think differently. But with a reasonably large collection of HD and UHD discs, I'm not willing to spend the time to rip them. I do understand that you can use it directly with Discs, but there is no option for use with streaming content, so it's still an incomplete solution.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Rookie Member
266 Posts
An installer is not needed. Trust me. Just a little reading and getting used to the menu system.
When I did own a Lumagen I remember a very funky menu system, which is no problem but my concern is being able to set up both tone mapping for HDR and being able to accomplish reasonbly accurate results with their Chromapure software and a SpyderX meter. Since I can’t do Autocal on JVC this would be important. Does the built in Darbee work on 1080 material that is being uprezzed To 4k? In the past the the little darbee units only worked to output HD. Too many questions, my apologies

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes the darbee works with 1080 while being upscaled

I’m not sure about cal as I only understand auto cal in the jvc for gamma

·
Registered
888 Posts
I do have a nice Nvidia 1080 card that I could use but building the rest would be a challenge ...
By following the guide i posted, you should be able to quickly have a working madVR system.
You basically just need MPC-BE, Lav Filters, and the latest beta version of madVR, you should be able to be up and running in a few hours.

The goal here would be to evaluate the HDR->SDR tone mapping, to access if the quality you gain makes it worth to pursue a full system configuration, or if you have the means for it, going with a Lumagen/Envy route.

IMO, its well worth the time.

I have a JVC X7900 (and a spare "JVC" lamp from Dominic) + madVR (RTX 2060), and i intent to keep this combination for a long, long time.

·
Rookie Member
266 Posts
By following the guide i posted, you should be able to quickly have a working madVR system.
You basically just need MPC-BE, Lav Filters, and the latest beta version of madVR, you should be able to be up and running in a few hours.

The goal here would be to evaluate the HDR->SDR tone mapping, to access if the quality you gain makes it worth to pursue a full system configuration, or if you have the means for it, going with a Lumagen/Envy route.

IMO, its well worth the time.

I have a JVC X7900 (and a spare "JVC" lamp from Dominic) + madVR (RTX 2060), and i intent to keep this combination for a long, long time.
I was not clear, I have a spare Nvidia card (from a MAC) I don’t have a PC, would need to build that From scratch to HTPC spec. But it seems like an interesting challenge. I do have a massive library of ripped Blu-ray content that I access thru Plex, but no 4k ripped content, and not having access to streamed content is disappointing. No free lunch

33201 - 33214 of 33214 Posts