AVS Forum banner

33241 - 33256 of 33256 Posts

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply. This is so helpful. The problem is worst on startup for the first hour or two and seems to disappear for the most part once the projector is on longer than 2 hours. Thanks again!
Here are the original posts. It seems to be the same issue as what you’re seeing:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Need some help with my x750.
It wouldn't start up the other day, the warning light flashes twice signifying "fan stopped abnormally" .
Ideas ? I swapped in a spare bulb I had at the suggestion of the local JVC repair shop. It didn't help.
Some suggestions to try before I take it in would be appreciated.
Cheers.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Can someone point me to a link or post that details the process of performing an autocal for gamma on the RS600?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have an RS500. Mostly I feed 4k SDR from the ATV4k to my projector and it looks great. I do have a custom HDR curve from Chad and sometimes use that via a Vertex and while that looks great too, fed 4k HDR using either HDR10 or the LLDV trick, I don't like running my lamp in high power and the incremental improvement is modest in my setup.
I also have an RS500 with AppleTV, and while I think there has been so much great work that has gone into the development of MadVR, I'm finding that I don't really have the time to tweak as much as I would like with my HTPC setup, and would be willing to sacrifice some tonemapping ability for a more plug and play experience when streaming.

Do you know if as long as I force SDR output from the Apple TV, do all apps (Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, etc) have SDR versions that the Apple TV can pull from? And when you do watch your own local media stored on your HTPC, are you using MadVR or using Plex/Emby or whatever through Apple TV? I'd also rather not run in high lamp, and as a little background, I've got a COMPLETELY blacked out room with a 120" AT screen and about a 13' throw distance.

Thanks a ton for your time!

·
Registered
13,033 Posts
I don’t watch any local content any longer. The HTPC was retired before uhd happened.

Most streaming services seem to have 4k sdr assets distinct from uhd assets but the ATV can convert hdr to sdr If they do not. I haven’t enabled the HUD on the ATV in a long time but it will tell you what the source file is and what the output is, and I recall seeing some uhd streams being output as sdr since I set my atv4k to output sdr most of the time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don’t watch any local content any longer. The HTPC was retired before uhd happened.

Most streaming services seem to have 4k sdr assets distinct from uhd assets but the ATV can convert hdr to sdr If they do not. I haven’t enabled the HUD on the ATV in a long time but it will tell you what the source file is and what the output is, and I recall seeing some uhd streams being output as sdr since I set my atv4k to output sdr most of the time.
Much appreciated. Thanks for the info. I'll pull up the HUD just for fun. Then do you set your JVC at rec709?

·
Registered
403 Posts

Nevermind, got the HUD working and that was helpful, although I was hoping it would work with Plex or Emby and it didn't. But when I watched an HDR movie in Plex it didn't throw the JVC into Gamma D so looks like it's doing its best to send an SDR signal. Now I'm just trying to decide if I like a standard SDR setting in the JVC with no color filter vs the THX setting. Any thoughts on the better of those 2 anyone?

·
Registered
13,033 Posts
Depends on how yours measures but mine nearly covers the full 709 gamut without the filter so why use it for 709 content?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Finland! I'm a new RS500 owner and just getting to know the device. I'm pretty impressed with it already, but there is a strange issue I'd like to fix. Sometimes, just sometimes, the 3D playback seems to work very nice, but usually it's unwatchable. It seems that the glasses go to a ”dark mode” that makes the footage too dim and oversaturated. But sometimes after a reboot, "when the stars are aligned", the glasses are not too dark and the same footage looks very bright and amazingly good. I've tried Shield Tv Pro 2019 and 3D capable Intel based HTPC as a source. (The previous owner had a Panasonic br player and he had this issue too.) The HDMI chain and all the devices are 3D compatible.

The previous owner gave up the 3D immediately because the picture quality was so poor. He was amazed when I told him it actually looks great sometimes. He thought it was a matter of calibration and he just couldn't get it right. But I think it could be related to the emitter and glasses sync, because I cant't see the diffenrence in the video brightness between the ”too dark mode” and ”bright mode” until I put the glasses on.

I have the JVC PK EM2 RF emitter and a pair of Xpand glasses that are supposed to be compatible.

Is this a known issue? Is there some settings I could try and tweak?

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
Hello from Finland! I'm a new RS500 owner and just getting to know the device. I'm pretty impressed with it already, but there is a strange issue I'd like to fix. Sometimes, just sometimes, the 3D playback seems to work very nice, but usually it's unwatchable. It seems that the glasses go to a ”dark mode” that makes the footage too dim and oversaturated. But sometimes after a reboot, "when the stars are aligned", the glasses are not too dark and the same footage looks very bright and amazingly good. I've tried Shield Tv Pro 2019 and 3D capable Intel based HTPC as a source. (The previous owner had a Panasonic br player and he had this issue too.) The HDMI chain and all the devices are 3D compatible.

The previous owner gave up the 3D immediately because the picture quality was so poor. He was amazed when I told him it actually looks great sometimes. He thought it was a matter of calibration and he just couldn't get it right. But I think it could be related to the emitter and glasses sync, because I cant't see the diffenrence in the video brightness between the ”too dark mode” and ”bright mode” until I put the glasses on.

I have the JVC PK EM2 RF emitter and a pair of Xpand glasses that are supposed to be compatible.

Is this a known issue? Is there some settings I could try and tweak?
Hi, this is not a common issue. I watch 3D quite a bit over the last several years with my RS600 and it looks excellent with every viewing.

Does the issue occur with the same movie? meaning it's ok watching it one day and the glasses are too dark on another viewing?

Do you have more than 1 pair of glasses to verify if it's an issue with 1 particular set of glasses?

Are these the glasses you are using?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are the glasses:

Yes, the same movie is ok one day and the glasses are too dark on another viewing. I havent found any logic behind it. One day I was pretty sure that if I manage to switch the glasses on at exactly the right moment when the movie starts, they work as they should. But it certainly doesn't work like that every time. (I guess I'm getting a little supersticious already 😄) I just got a pair of Samsung glasses. It happen with them as well, but they are Never as dark as the Xpand.

I will try get another emitter next and see if the original is broken some how.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Does anyone know about restrictions with using the anamorphic modes in these projectors? I have an X7000, recently got a horizontal expansion lens and all seemed fine. Tried to watch a 25fps programme (50Hz mode) on an AppleTV and the anamorphic modes are greyed out! I thought the remote wasn't working at first.

Does the X7000 only work at 24,25,30Hz or is there some bug at 50Hz? I saw in the manual it mentions that keystone correction doesn't work at 4k 50Hz but nothing about anamorphic modes.

Is there any firmware update for these models or is it a hardware limitation.

We mostly use MadVR to do the scaling and that's fine of course but sometimes there's something only on the AppleTV.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
My RS500 was calibrated by Chad B several years back. I had downsized and the screen is the same. Now the bulb has about 1,500 hours running in low lamp mode. 1080p is still great but 4k with the calibrated settings varied depending on source, disk and streaming Amazon prime stuff. Is it the RS500 or I need a new set of calibration for 4k? TIA.
BTW, I did not use high lamp mode due to the fan noise. The PJ is mounted directly over my head. Even at high, I did not find 4k as bright as 1080p.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
dragonbud0, a lot would depend on if I made custom gamma curves for it. The first several months or so that I did these models I had do do my best with gamma D, but I then started using Arve’s tool to make custom gamma curves which are much, much better. Also my custom gammas evolved with time, so the ones I make now are brighter and better than the ones I made early on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
dragonbud0, a lot would depend on if I made custom gamma curves for it. The first several months or so that I did these models I had do do my best with gamma D, but I then started using Arve’s tool to make custom gamma curves which are much, much better. Also my custom gammas evolved with time, so the ones I make now are brighter and better than the ones I made early on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have PM.

33241 - 33256 of 33256 Posts