AVS Forum banner

11161 - 11180 of 33256 Posts

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
At that black brightness level I imagine you would need a pretty accurate meter no?

Perhaps they were using something very accurate, able to reach low.
I know the MLL on those displays with the Klein was around .0011 to .0012. It was a great plasma I will tell you that.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The HD Fury makes it easier to send the signal down an HDMI cable with the Samsung UHD BD player.. Also the HD Fury allows you to strip out HDR and still get the WCG.
thanks,
what does stripping out HDR get and why do that?
Dan

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
I know the MLL on those displays with the Klein was around .0011 to .0012. It was a great plasma I will tell you that.
Yeah its a shame I didn't buy one before they pulled out of plasma market. I have a Panasonic TH-46PZ800A from quite a few years ago. Its still going, though I think the black level is less than half what it was. probably has over 15k hours on it now.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Looking at pixels in test patterns or text is the only way to do it reliably. actual images are too imprecise. I find I can do it right off the actual JVC menu text accurately by standing next to the screen if I need to adjust it quickly. Either that or a decent resolution 1080p test pattern without e-shift on of course. Shouldn't be hard at all once you've done it a few times. It should only be one to two clicks where you may struggle to tell. if you do it back and forth step by step a few times you'll be able to land on a precise sharp focus very quickly.

This was discussed back at the beginning of the year (thereabouts), and Kris documented the great one pixel test screen on Ted's disc (must turn off eShift to do it properly).

·
Registered
19,816 Posts
I know have been a bit distracted by uhd blu-ray a bit. but when I heard of the recent remastering of the old favourite of mine in 5th element ! well with a 4k remastering and a new 3D audio atmos track I had to get hold of it.

I must say from the outset, I was little bit hesitant only in buying in that there have been a few versions of this old disc. how much better can this be really ?

well I was in for a bit of a surprise. initially the opening of the film took me back to early days of blu-ray and heck even DVD ! was it some 20 years ago it came out on DVD ?

there a bit of a grainy bits in some sections up at the start but you soon start to appreciate just how good it looks ! as can see in some quick shots here to give a bit of an idea,

rich colours some great details, looked real treat I must say. when I think about how far back the master of this film goes back to the DVD days realise just how far its come ! amazing to watch this in the quality it is !

as a note I left the sammy player just upscaling this to 4k and feeding the jvc - not sure if others are doing different ?

$15 from amazon.... I ended up also grabbing "leon the professional" which has had the same treatment. I dare say it will probably come out on uhd blu-ray later in the year as well. but still at the cost am very glad I got it :)
When is the 4K UHD version coming out? That will be my last purchase of this film. Ever. Unless a glasses free 8K 3D Ultra Superbit version is eventually released ( probably when i'm 80 years old, have cataracts and can't see the difference :eek: )!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
When is the 4K UHD version coming out? That will be my last purchase of this film. Ever. Unless a glasses free 8K 3D Ultra Superbit version is eventually released ( probably when i'm 80 years old, have cataracts and can't see the difference :eek: )!
Famous last words right?? ;)

If anything on this forum has taught us it's never to utter the word "Never"! :p

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
I recall years back on a forum a studio exec saying how part of the home video business model was to figure out how to keep selling you the same movie you own over and over again. It's going to be challenging once the 4K version is released, but maybe a glasses free 3D version will be the next way indeed. lol

·
Registered
31,212 Posts
Do you run HDR or do you prefer WCG SDR?

I heard a lot of you guys seeming to prefer the SDR way forward and retain that black level and use of the iris. Personally though I haven't seen HDR myself I feel like I will be on the SDR side of the fence.

Or did you all sort out the settings in a way to make HDR work really well?

Picking up an RS500 in the next couple of days, very excited. I have the samsung already, only a 1m cable run, do you think I will have a problem getting the image up and HDR working?

Lastly, ages ago there was some talk about ordering a fury and using coupon codes, are they still flying around and can anybody PM me the codes?
I am not doing either. I did not purchase the Samsung. Was waiting for the Panny, but it is taking so long, that I may hold out for the oppo. I got the HD Fury, because my prepro does not have HDCP 2.2. Allowed me to test sending 4K from my Sony 4K server to the JVC, going through the prepro.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with that opinion. Even if you place a projector in a black-hole, you're still limited to very low intra-scene contrast. Real world contrast on mixed scenes will always drop rapidly as the percentage of bright pixels increases. It's plainly evident if you watch the letterbox bars and any bright object moves near them - the black level will rise noticeably. This gradually happens over the entire image and causes a global washout that all projectors suffer from. OLED by comparison can have a 100% black pixel right next to a fully 100% white one without any loss in contrast. This gives all images an almost 3D like appearance. In a dark room, objects on black backgrounds appear to be floating in space vs. sitting in a mist of dark gray.

Main issues with OLED at this time are the very small size, high price, and inconsistent screen uniformity. These are the reasons I'm still using projection like the rest of you.

I was going to mention my disagreement with Chad as well.

The JVCs put out an amazing image to be sure. But there are technical limitations for current projection compared to OLED that are unlikely to be bridged any time soon, if at any time.

In my black velvet pit viewing conditions, depending on how bright areas are mixed with dark areas in a shot, the black levels strike me as anywhere from excellent to quite grayish. The Witch (movie) looked fantastic in many shots, but in the lowest light shots I was quite aware how far the black levels needed to go to match OLED. (I'm wondering if The Witch actually has elevated black levels, as they didn't look very good on the JVC. I couldn't figure out if this was because it was a lower contrast movie to begin with, making it particularly taxing for black levels in dark scenes, or whether that disc actually was shot/mastered/transferred with higher black levels).

With the right mix of content - a movie like The Martian being a perfect example - the black levels and contrast can leave me wanting little more from the image at all. But other content reminds me that projection still has quite a ways to go...
Note Chad said, "However, when these conditions are met, the image quality of a JVC can rival an OLED, and with it's size advantage there should be little question." Bold emphasis, mine, of course.

I interpreted this to mean the entire image in general. He did not state the blacks were just as good as OLED (nor did he say ansi was the same) only that the image on a JVC can rival the image quality in the proper conditions. He didn't even say the JVC would beat the OLED, overall. Again, 'rival' being key word. We would also be talking about color gamut, greyscale, and gamma as well. The OLEDs are not always perfect in these categories (especially to a sharp eye) as well as a couple of other areas and there is something to be said for the intangibly smooth, yet naturally sharp film-like image of D-ILA that I don't see on any flat panel including OLED despite how good they can look; but the take away again is, you need the right room conditions where so many people fall short - even when they think they have a black pit.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
@D_B_0673 and kevin,

I came across this news from the Olympic Broadcasting Service will be utilising 8K, 4K and WCG, HDR for the Rio olympics :)
https://www.obs.tv/news?id=656

apparently NHK will be involved with broadcast which his interesting since it was NHK engineers that jointly working with JVC that developed the proprietary e-shift system for upto 8k projection,
http://www.pmaresearch.com/pma-blogs/jvc-announces-8k-resolution-projector-with-e-shift-technology/
thanks for the links
dan

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
but the take away again is, you need the right room conditions where so many people fall short - even when they think they have a black pit.
I'd suggest that very few who believe they have a black pit actually do.

I'd also add that the other take away (OLED v. LCoS) is that even an 85" diag 16:9 OLED is going to deliver a tiny 2.35:1 compared to what most members project with their Sony or JVC. Quality matters, but so does size.

·
Registered
31,212 Posts
Note Chad said, "However, when these conditions are met, the image quality of a JVC can rival an OLED, and with it's size advantage there should be little question." Bold emphasis, mine, of course.

I interpreted this to mean the entire image in general. He did not state the blacks were just as good as OLED (nor did he say ansi was the same) only that the image on a JVC can rival the image quality in the proper conditions. He didn't even say the JVC would beat the OLED, overall. Again, 'rival' being key word. We would also be talking about color gamut, greyscale, and gamma as well. The OLEDs are not always perfect in these categories (especially to a sharp eye) as well as a couple of other areas and there is something to be said for the intangibly smooth, yet naturally sharp film-like image of D-ILA that I don't see on any flat panel including OLED despite how good they can look; but the take away again is, you need the right room conditions where so many people fall short - even when they think they have a black pit.[/quote]

Yep the point that Chad was making is the OP'er must not have a room with good light control and was using a gray screen to try and make up for that. You can't handicap the JVC that way and still expect it to be able to provide the image it is capable of in a good room.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
I'd suggest that very few who believe they have a black pit actually do.

I'd also add that the other take away (OLED v. LCoS) is that even an 85" diag 16:9 OLED is going to deliver a tiny 2.35:1 compared to what most members project with their Sony or JVC. Quality matters, but so does size.
For me especially with scope movies, the size is such an important thing. Even if OLED offered a 30% increase in PQ over a JVC (which I don't believe it does), I would still stick with front projection. The only time I might not be able to stick with front projection would be if I had a brighter room and had to use a really poor high gain screen that had annoying screen texture and obnoxious sparkles. Ugh.

I occasionally see people post (especially in the screen forum) say that have a really dark room just because there are no windows or they are covered, but they are not recognizing the lighter walls, carpet, and other factors. :)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
For me especially with scope movies, the size is such an important thing. Even if OLED offered a 30% increase in PQ over a JVC (which I don't believe it does), I would still stick with front projection. The only time I might not be able to stick with front projection would be if I had a brighter room and had to use a really poor high gain screen that had annoying screen texture and obnoxious sparkles. Ugh.

I occasionally see people post (especially in the screen forum) say that have a really dark room just because there are no windows or they are covered, but they are not recognizing the lighter walls, carpet, and other factors. :)
I couldn't agree with you more on this. Since 2012, I have jumped up three different screen sizes for my front projection system. Each time I was happier than the previous time. Now with 4K coming out, the bigger picture looks even better. It was great before, but it is getting even better(at least for me now that I have my first player).

The best thing I did was make my room a black pit of sorts. Black ceiling, dark gray walls, black velvet around my screen and black carpet in front of the screen. :)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts

I mentioned this very thing to a poster in the last week, it was in one of these JVC threads, I think the 400, because It was in reference to stepping up to the 5-600, but with light walls.
Obviously much better than direct ambient like windows/lights hitting screen, but still getting washout.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Not sure how you're getting SDR from those settings (unless... Your HDR is implicitly turned off in EDID Automix), but as long as it works and you love it... That's all that matters!).

;)
Got done working for the day(I work at home) and ran upstairs to fire everything up. I am happy to report that everything booted up quickly and the settings were intact from yesterday.

Now the bad news.....for some reason the app on my Samsung is not working. It is showing being connected to the Integral, but I can't see any of my settings. Tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it...still nothing. This means I can't check to see if I have HDR turned off in EDID Automix or not.

I spent about 30 minutes with Deadpool on and I kept switching between the "standard" and "user" settings on the Samsung. I have dialed the "user" setting down to +5 and +2. Some scenes look great with Standard and others look great with the user settings. I tried to compare the blu-ray to see how bright some of the scenes are supposed to be to know if I am forcing them to be bright by using the user settings. At this point, I might just leave it on standard. My guess is I need to really make the adjustments on the JVC but that is something I will wait on until i have Chad back down.

My next step is to pick up another 4K title and see how it looks.

Any suggestions on a good one to demo the settings?

Also - what settings do you have your JVC set on when you aren't using the HDR? I wouldn't mind comparing brightness and contrast settings to what Chad has set on mine.

·
Registered
19,816 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more on this. Since 2012, I have jumped up three different screen sizes for my front projection system. Each time I was happier than the previous time. Now with 4K coming out, the bigger picture looks even better. It was great before, but it is getting even better(at least for me now that I have my first player).

The best thing I did was make my room a black pit of sorts. Black ceiling, dark gray walls, black velvet around my screen and black carpet in front of the screen.
:)
Yup - made a huge difference in my theater too !

11161 - 11180 of 33256 Posts