AVS Forum banner

11481 - 11500 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Since both movies are in 4k on the Samsung hard disc and look really good I'm just going to hold off until they come down in $. :)
It's a good & valid point Tom but I guess curiosity (or stupidity!), has me wondering what the actual BlkBay w/ WCG would look like (on top of HDR & the ATMOS track which Ralph just raved about in his review). ;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've been following Amazon on this for a week a I thought they had a pricing Snafu showing $47.99 each :eek: Well… today on its release day it's still the same price and the few other sites I checked that were the expected $30 are now showing Backordered (till end of July).

Anyone know of a place that has both on stock for $30?? :confused:

Walmart's have both 4K UHD Star Trek movies. A lot of people have been purchasing them there. I picked up "Star Trek" at mine. You can go to Walmart.com and check one of the Walmart's near you to see if they are still available and order online for store pickup. They charge you the $45.00 price and after you pickup your purchase they rebate you $15.02!!!

Ray

Reactions: krichter1

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Walmart's have both 4K UHD Star Trek movies. A lot of people have been purchasing them there. I picked up "Star Trek" at mine. You can go to Walmart.com and check one of the Walmart's near you to see if they are still available and order online for store pickup. They charge you the $45.00 price and after you pickup your purchase they rebate you $15.02!!!
Ray
Picked up both at my local Walmart during lunch. They only had 2 copies of each on display. They were marked at the now expected list price for UHD, and not at Paramount's ridiculous pricing.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

Ray

Guess I'm too chicken to buy it at their advertised price and trust when I go pick it up at my local store they'll honor the $30 price. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
30,985 Posts
Guess I'm too chicken to buy it at their advertised price and trust when I go pick it up at my local store they'll honor the $30 price. :eek:
You sound as bad as me. :) Willing to spend money no problem, but hate to just waste it or feel ripped off. :)

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
You sound as bad as me. :) Willing to spend money no problem, but hate to just waste it or feel ripped off. :)
I didn't purchase online. I went through the steps and chose store pickup. Found both were available for pickup today at my local Walmart. So just went and purchased them at the store. They were both marked 29.96 in the display rack. No instant rebate required.

I have a suspicion that Walmart got stock only because they honored Paramount's pricing in their web store. Best Buy has the $29 price on the web store but shows 2 week back order.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 2.35, 1.1 gain screen. That's 132 inch diagonal. According to JVC's recommendation, I should increase picture tone slightly above 12. Twelve does appear a bit dark. When I increase tone, each step brightens the picture a bit, but also changes skin tones.
How do I choose, which tone number is correct for my set up?
What are others using with similar screens?

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
MPC has nothing to do with smearing Javs and throwing spitballs on the wall without proven Science doesn't help anyone here (it serves to confuse if anything because you're stating your opinion as a fact without the science to back it up).

MPC is a personal pref one of which I've been dealing/playing with for over 6 years now (in one way, shape or another over the diff versions since the RS50), and prefer the default settings (5's across the board per my hours of P.Analyzer study w/ my gear). Just like eShift it's a matter of taste. :)

If anything in regards to smearing I would look more to what his CMD settings are along with how his outputs are setup between YUV & RGB conversions etc...

Settle down mate.

He mentioned it looked like they had excessive caked on makeup, sounds like Enhance was up too high to me as thats what I see when I bump it up more than it should be.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Good and bad.

The Good:
I watched the 2 Star Trek UHD movies in succession. HDR with high lamp and Auto Iris at -5.

HDR was more obvious in the first with all the bright white light explosions and the whites of the bridge. In the second HDR was more subtle. The longer I watched the more I started to notice.

I don't have an Atmos capable system but the True HD 7.1 audio on Into Darkness was pretty amazing. I can only imagine what it might sound like in Atmos.

The Bad: The lamp in my RS500 may have died at 5 minutes before the end of Into Darkness. I first thought it was a HDMI cable dropout. But then I noticed the red Standby button flashing and amber Lamp button flashing. Shut off the Samsung player and shortly after I heard the fan slow down. The Standby button eventually stopped flashing. Now I have the Warning light and Standby light with the Lamp light flashing still. Not sure if I should pull the power plug or just let it cool down a bit first.

I had 481 hours on the lamp before tonight's session.

·
Premium Member
JVC Z1, SI PW 150", MX160, M.L. 535H, Meridian 559, 2 x Sherbourne 2-160, REVEL Studio2,Gem2,Voice2
3,473 Posts
hey guys...I am get ever so slight smearing in the faces on some movies...and ONLY in certain scenes...

watched Ghostbusters 2

I haven't put on Ghostbusters 2 yet but I watch Ghostbusters for about 10 mins last night after doing another test pattern level check on the Panasonic. My thoughts are it looked very much like a lot of the older 4K remasters on the Sony X10 player, very grainy, nothing particularly redeeming about the PQ at all. No smearing in the small part of Gb1 I saw though. I'll try to take a look at 2 at some stage as well. Looking forward to the 2 Star Trek discs and Independence Day though when the arrive from Amazon.

Reactions: alebonau

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I haven't put on Ghostbusters 2 yet but I watch Ghostbusters for about 10 mins last night after doing another test pattern level check on the Panasonic. My thoughts are it looked very much like a lot of the older 4K remasters on the Sony X10 player, very grainy, nothing particularly redeeming about the PQ at all. No smearing in the small part of Gb1 I saw though. I'll try to take a look at 2 at some stage as well. Looking forward to the 2 Star Trek discs and Independence Day though when the arrive from Amazon.
ID4 and the imax space discs arrived today...but wasnt brave enough to order the star trek duo... I shudder to think what they will sell for locally as well ...they are must buys for me though...so perhaps with some others might be doing a bulk buy when these drop back to sane prices !

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Folks seem to be walking into local Walmarts and picking up Star Trek for $29 and change.

·
Banned
8,185 Posts
Settle down mate.

He mentioned it looked like they had excessive caked on makeup, sounds like Enhance was up too high to me as thats what I see when I bump it up more than it should be.
no enhancement was on...it had to do with the gamma with SDR UHD...but actually I prefer the image without the Integral HD fury...and HDR...no smearing at all....so I am selling the HDfury if anyone wants it

B

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
no enhancement was on...it had to do with the gamma with SDR UHD...but actually I prefer the image without the Integral HD fury...and HDR...no smearing at all....so I am selling the HDfury if anyone wants it

B

Glad you got it sorted.

·
Banned
8,185 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
MPC is a personal pref one of which I've been dealing/playing with for over 6 years now (in one way, shape or another over the diff versions since the RS50), and prefer the default settings (5's across the board per my hours of P.Analyzer study w/ my gear). Just like eShift it's a matter of taste. :)
We could chalk up anything here to "matter of taste", but it would be helpful to make the distinction between those looking to artificially enhance source material versus those aiming to get ever closer to an authentic presentation of the source material. Which general approach is better isn't a worthwhile debate, but it would be helpful for members to appreciate the distinction. Fortunately, there isn't near uniform groupthink for image quality as there is, sadly, in home theater for audio.

11481 - 11500 of 33251 Posts