AVS Forum banner

12901 - 12920 of 32885 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I'll absolutely stand by this having first off used an X9000 for a month and then not long after a X7000 on my 150" for a couple of weeks. There is no way known, I'd been able to say the cost difference between the two is worth that. I was just lucky that my 9000 was the first purchase (at a great Aus price) and the 7000 ended up a fill-in during the 9000 firmware bungle and became a VW95 replacement at my weekender. Both units will cover you for the screen size, the only caveat I would add is hopefully your room is fairly dedicated and you aren't trying to compromise with any ambient light - not that many would be by the time you reach that screen size. You'll also definitely as Al says, be pushing quite hard at that screen size for satisfaction with HDR in UHD -I'm still at it fine tuning every time I watch a UHD disc but also bearing in mind I'll be making a jump to something new again post CEDIA.

Also, enjoyed SvB a couple of weeks ago when I got to view it, a lot more enjoyable film than I had been expecting by the reviews. I agree with others that it was definitely dark in the context of HDR too - I kept adjusting across the film.

@grassy this is some good feedback form oz here. invaluable I think from someone who has owned both :)

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I'll absolutely stand by this having first off used an X9000 for a month and then not long after a X7000 on my 150" for a couple of weeks. There is no way known, I'd been able to say the cost difference between the two is worth that. I was just lucky that my 9000 was the first purchase (at a great Aus price) and the 7000 ended up a fill-in during the 9000 firmware bungle and became a VW95 replacement at my weekender. Both units will cover you for the screen size, the only caveat I would add is hopefully your room is fairly dedicated and you aren't trying to compromise with any ambient light - not that many would be by the time you reach that screen size. You'll also definitely as Al says, be pushing quite hard at that screen size for satisfaction with HDR in UHD -I'm still at it fine tuning every time I watch a UHD disc but also bearing in mind I'll be making a jump to something new again post CEDIA.

Also, enjoyed SvB a couple of weeks ago when I got to view it, a lot more enjoyable film than I had been expecting by the reviews. I agree with others that it was definitely dark in the context of HDR too - I kept adjusting across the film.
I ended up with the RS600, well X950R here in Canada. Difference I paid was a bare minimum because I bought it on a reduced price offer , it came with a spare lamp and has the extended warranty to boot. Factor this in and I paid a minimal difference . If I did not have that offer I would have likely picked up the RS500 as most say the difference is negligible . Then again, many are willing to pay for negligible at at premium, it all depends on your tastes and appetite. :p

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Good news. Looks like LionsGate has its first 1000 nit 4k UHD Blu Ray called "Criminal" (the others were all 4000 nits). I triple checked the Static Meta Data 20/19 which was 03e8 = 1000 nits. It's a great movie. This should be good news for projector owners, but looks rather dark, like a 4000 nit movie. :(

I'll be adding Universal Studios for the first time to this list with this week's release of Oblivion, Lucy and Lone Survivor. JJ

I don't buy every 4k UHD movie, so if you want to add any other 4k UHD Blu Ray movie with their Static Meta Data to this list, please email me at [email protected].

I've had requests to add more of the static meta data information by Ted's HDR Calibration thread. If you want more Static Meta Data information, pls email me and let me know what data and why you find this data useful. See Static Meta Data Table below from Manni/Kris_Deering for more info. Thx! JJ :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
The Olympics 4K broadcasts from Directv look very good on my RS500. Directv is sending 4K/60 4:2:0 10-bit (No HDR though.).

I am keeping the Opening Ceremony recording for future demos of how good it can look. (Much better than the Masters Golf and MLB baseball 4K broadcasts.) The broadcasts are 24-hour delayed and limited to just one or two events per day. Last night was Judo; and it may have been live.

Reactions: Carbon Ft Print

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Samsung UB8500 HD Fury Denon 7200 not passing 4K

Finally watched a 4K movie last night. Installed the two 4K 25' Monoprice Cabernet HDMI active cables but could not get a signal through the Denon 7200w(a) and Hd Fury combo . Direct it would work
( and yes the cables are installed in the correct direction) but not through the other components. I'm trying to figure the issues out through the other threads, I'm sure it's just some settings or other minor connection issue.

I thought the picture to be descent considering what others have experienced. Made some adjustments to the settings on my JVC and the Samsung per the suggestions of others and then watched bits of The Martian and Hit Man. Colors and whites still seem muted compared to SHD but indeed very sharp . I can see the grain Craig Peer mentioned was bad 4K that I did not notice in SHD . At least I got a 4K 4:4:4: 60 12bit feed , now have to work on the compatibility before moving to the next step .

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well, just took possession of an X750 last night.

Worked the lens adjustments first. "Wow," I thought. "that is crisp looking." Then dialed down the iris to -10 (I have an 133" diag, 2.8 HP screen, 20' throw) and engaged Auto 2 iris. Per Zombie's instructions, I selected a Custom color mode with 6500k temp and 2.3 gamma.
From there, I plopped in AVS HD to set basic brightness and contrast (bumped Dark Level to +2. Set MPC to 4 and started to watch Lucy...

What a revelation! My only other previous experience with projectors has been my Sony VW60.

Yes, with the HP at work I can see some slightly bright corners, but I am not bothered by them (yet). Even had a chance to peek at some 3D (though I had to send the video straight to the projector, as the 805 was not allowing pass through. Pana player kept complaining. So, I guess a new AVR is necessary even though I read of others being able to pass 3D via the 805...)

Hoping this "honeymoon" feeling will last. Next plan is for a UHD player to see what all the fuss is about...

So my shopping list is now:

Onkyo RZ800
Samsung K8500
MP High-speed cables
toilet retrofit for theater seats

·
Registered
18,129 Posts

Worked the lens adjustments first. "Wow," I thought. "that is crisp looking." Then dialed down the iris to -10 (I have an 133" diag, 2.8 HP screen, 20' throw) and engaged Auto 2 iris. Per Zombie's instructions, I selected a Custom color mode with 6500k temp and 2.3 gamma.
From there, I plopped in AVS HD to set basic brightness and contrast (bumped Dark Level to +2. Set MPC to 4 and started to watch Lucy...

What a revelation! My only other previous experience with projectors has been my Sony VW60.

Yes, with the HP at work I can see some slightly bright corners, but I am not bothered by them (yet). Even had a chance to peek at some 3D (though I had to send the video straight to the projector, as the 805 was not allowing pass through. Pana player kept complaining. So, I guess a new AVR is necessary even though I read of others being able to pass 3D via the 805...)

Hoping this "honeymoon" feeling will last. Next plan is for a UHD player to see what all the fuss is about...

Onkyo RZ800
Samsung K8500
MP High-speed cables
Pictures please ! :D My " slightly elevated ( I don't like using the term " bright " ) corners seemed to have gotten darker after 50 hours, not that I could see them except under rare circumstances anyway. Enjoy you great new projector! The new Star Wars movie looks stunning on it ( as do many others )!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

Onkyo RZ800
Samsung K8500
MP High-speed cables

Funny you mention that as I just installed them in the theater after upgrading to 4K (and Immersive audio!)…

:laugh:

(Congrats! and. . . don't worry about the "new" bright corners as they'll tame after the bulb machine breaks in)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Too funny, fellas! Now did you pop for the bidet or the manual wiper option? For the movie fans:

Another interesting note: Pretty sure it came with the latest firmware and a BT2020 color profile installed.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My " slightly elevated ( I don't like using the term " bright " ) corners seemed to have gotten darker after 50 hours, not that I could see them except under rare circumstances anyway.

Agreed. The term "bright" was not appropriate and more from a terminology standpoint. Appreciate the encouragement. I'll be truly excited to get the gamma in line, it appears to be quite dark at the lower end, but BOY does it make low APL scenes look outstanding!

Enjoy you great new projector! The new Star Wars movie looks stunning on it ( as do many others )!

Yep. Going to have to carve out some time to re-watch everything! To appease the family, we christened the projector with Guardians of the Galaxy. The Kree warship against space/starfield really made me smile with it's dimensionality.

Can't wait to tuck into some old favorites...

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Pictures please ! :D My " slightly elevated ( I don't like using the term " bright " ) corners seemed to have gotten darker after 50 hours, not that I could see them except under rare circumstances anyway. Enjoy you great new projector! The new Star Wars movie looks stunning on it ( as do many others )!
I have bright corners too, not really symmetrical but qualifies . I see this every time the screen is dark only and very subtle. I'm at 145 hours still seeing it . Does not appear to affect the picture at all however.
I'm sure it must to some degree but I'm sure one would have to use some very sensitive equipment to measure it.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

Talk about a "revelation" (and some perspective!)… I was cleaning up my "temp" picture folder which has amassed quite the size over the years on AVS so I figured it was time and came across one of my first Sharp theater LCD projector from '96 (and if IIRC was like $7K msrp w/ a whopping 560 of line-doubling technology (and with "two advanced S-Video connectors)! :eek: )! How far we've come in just 20 years is just mind-boggling to me! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I have heard of beer goggles. Are you saying Craig may have wine goggles? :D
This is a hilarious thought (I can just picture Craig now… F 3D… he don't need it!!)…

12901 - 12920 of 32885 Posts