AVS Forum banner

13081 - 13100 of 32964 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
BTW - Another pleasant surprise of the week (and poss the best of the bunch), was Lone Survivor in HDR/DTS:X last night. Wow... was not only the PQ excellent but the DTS:X presentation an absolute immersive marvel! Between the flying choppers and all the gunfire & rocket launchers in the Afghan mountain terrain (great echoes around the room), made it seem as though you were right there with Mike Murphy & team fighting off the Taliban (indeed a tough one to watch and you need to be in the right mood to digest some of the gruesome scenes but what a great movie all-round)!

:)
Noticed the DTS-X soundtrack when I got my copy the other day. Having lost DTS-X after moving on my 8802 for MX-160 earlier in the year, a very timely update finally enabling DTS-X is due from McIntosh before the end of the month. Guess I'll hand on a bit longer before I take a look. Already seen the film once once on Blu ray and quite enjoyed it, so looking forward to DTS-X and HDR presentation now :D.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
And when he posted I just didn't understand it (thought I took stupid pills that night), but in reading it again… (guess it's just what I am). Can you dumb it down for me Tom? ;)

Oh and Roxie - yes the HDR version. :)
Hey Kev, I actually thought you might have tried this some time ago with the Integral after you bought it a second time :) Maybe I'm the one that took those stoopid pills :D

I think Manni is using a UHD Bluray that is scaled to 1080p by the (????) but, can either keep both HDR & BT.2020 or just SDR & BT.2020. Why would you want that you ask? Since our projectors are native 1080p and I know some don't care for E-shift, this would allow all the benefits of the UHD disc except for the resolution. It would be like a Super Blu-ray disc with 10 bit, expanded color gammut & HDR. I can see if it's just a 2k upscaled UHD disc like many of them right now it may look sharper just keeping the native resolution of our projectors? I don't mind E-shift but, it would be interesting to try.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Hey Kev, I actually thought you might have tried this some time ago with the Integral after you bought it a second time :) Maybe I'm the one that took those stoopid pills :D

I think Manni is using a UHD Bluray that is scaled to 1080p by the (????) but, can either keep both HDR & BT.2020 or just SDR & BT.2020. Why would you want that you ask? Since our projectors are native 1080p and I know some don't care for E-shift, this would allow all the benefits of the UHD disc except for the resolution. It would be like a Super Blu-ray disc with 10 bit, expanded color gammut & HDR. I can see if it's just a 2k upscaled UHD disc like many of them right now it may look sharper just keeping the native resolution of our projectors? I don't mind E-shift but, it would be interesting to try.

Thanks Tom that helps but I'm still confused by "scaled to 1080p by the ???"… must it be an external scaler I wonder or would you set the Samsung/Panny to 1080p (but I would think you'd loose the benefits you stated for 10bit, WCG, HDR etc…)? I guess this is the part that doesn't make sense to my small brain. :)

I would love to try this especially for the 2K-DI movies but maybe Manni can help crystalize this and help make sense of how this work for the JVC that would be great (I would think the other benefit is of course being able to use the active iris and put this back to being a BCM!). ;)

·
Registered
18,632 Posts
Thanks Tom that helps but I'm still confused by "scaled to 1080p by the ???"… must it be an external scaler I wonder or would you set the Samsung/Panny to 1080p (but I would think you'd loose the benefits you stated for 10bit, WCG, HDR etc…)? I guess this is the part that doesn't make sense to my small brain. :)

I would love to try this especially for the 2K-DI movies but maybe Manni can help crystalize this and help make sense of how this work for the JVC that would be great (I would think the other benefit is of course being able to use the active iris and put this back to being a BCM!). ;)
Mind you - I haven't got Oblivion in 4K yet, but the UHD movies I have watched all look at the very least somewhat sharper or more detailed ( or certainly not less sharp / detailed ) in 4K with eshift than the Blu Ray. But even if this ( downscaling 4K to 1080p ) is possible, I'm not adding my to the tweakfest that 4K is already. Man, lets just watch some movies already ! :eek:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

I was trying to get Manni to tell what he was using. I'm thinking he may be using the new Linker, I think they start shipping end of week, he maybe beta testing. You bring up a good point about just setting the Samsung to 1080p but, I think you loose everything else that a UHD disc offers, (10 bit vs 8 bit on Blu-ray, HDR & WCG) IDK. It would be just another combination to try. I have tried Standard Blu-ray w/o E-shift enabled and have to say it looks very good and as hard as I try can't see any pixels. The fill rate of the RS500 is exceptional. I want to try this on the Integral, there are some custom edids to play with. I'm not sure they are exactly what we need but, maybe something HD Fury can give us. Heck why don't you try right now, Kev? Lunch time, fun time! :D

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I was trying to get Manni to tell what he was using. I'm thinking he may be using the new Linker, I think they start shipping end of week, he maybe beta testing. You bring up a good point about just setting the Samsung to 1080p but, I think you loose everything else that a UHD disc offers, (10 bit vs 8 bit on Blu-ray, HDR & WCG) IDK. It would be just another combination to try. I have tried Standard Blu-ray w/o E-shift enabled and have to say it looks very good and as hard as I try can't see any pixels. The fill rate of the RS500 is exceptional. I want to try this on the Integral, there are some custom edids to play with. I'm not sure they are exactly what we need but, maybe something HD Fury can give us. Heck why don't you try right now, Kev? Lunch time, fun time! :D
Oh I would… if I knew what the heck to do that is! :D

Back with older models we all used to think (me being one of them), eShift did more harm than good on 1080p but I gotta say over the past versions (this one especially), the PQ is very organic and film like whereas w/ eShift OFF it gives a cleaner but harder edged look to the picture (again another one of those personal pref settings… to each his own…). :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Integral signal path

I know this has been covered before, but I'm having a hard time finding it. My Integral will be here tomorrow.

Should I put it between my Sammy 8500 and Marantz 7702mkII, or between the AVP and my RS600? Or will it matter? I'm primarily looking to use it to knock 4:4:4 to 4:2:0. But, I might try forcing SDR as well at some point.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Mind you - I haven't got Oblivion in 4K yet, but the UHD movies I have watched all look at the very least somewhat sharper or more detailed ( or certainly not less sharp / detailed ) in 4K with eshift than the Blu Ray. But even if this ( downscaling 4K to 1080p ) is possible, I'm not adding my to the tweakfest that 4K is already. Man, lets just watch some movies already ! :eek:
Lots of posts in the Master List of 4k HDR Titles thread claiming that Universal botched the Oblivion UHD with a 2k to 4k upscale that has less detail than the regular Blu Ray.

Reactions: Tom Bley

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Lots of posts in the Master List of 4k HDR Titles thread claiming that Universal botched the Oblivion UHD with a 2k to 4k upscale that has less detail than the regular Blu Ray.
If that is the case I'm upset. Hopefully they fix it and we can get an exchange.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I know this has been covered before, but I'm having a hard time finding it. My Integral will be here tomorrow.

Should I put it between my Sammy 8500 and Marantz 7702mkII, or between the AVP and my RS600? Or will it matter? I'm primarily looking to use it to knock 4:4:4 to 4:2:0. But, I might try forcing SDR as well at some point.
I have mine in between the 8500 & Denon since I don't use it for any other reason. ;)

·
Registered
18,632 Posts
If that is the case I'm upset. Hopefully they fix it and we can get an exchange.
If enough people yell it could happen. Remember the Gladiator Blu Ray debacle ? I thought it looked ok, but the remastered one the studio released to stop the angry torch mob looks absolutely spectacular !!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If enough people yell it could happen. Remember the Gladiator Blu Ray debacle ? I thought it looked ok, but the remastered one the studio released to stop the angry torch mob looks absolutely spectacular !!
oh yeah, I remember. I was thankful I skipped the title over and bought it when it was re-issued but, it was hard to tell which copy you were going to get when you buy it from Amazon but, thankfully someone had the SKU number or something like that. :)

I actually think the studio was Universal for the Gladiator movie. They didn't learn! :D

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Re: Gladiator - from what I heard, that remaster happened because Ridley Scott got involved and wasn't too happy with how it was released originally.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
I love my buttkickers but was bummed when I upgraded from the Denon BEAST 5308CI-A which had the 3rd sub out w/ Transducer volume control to the 7200WA, and found that Denon removed this awesome feature (being every movies a bit different in LFE effects & the volume was literally a must have). :mad:

I found a nice little workaround from MCM Electronics - Line Level Volume Control with IR Remote, then added some custom buttons and IR hex commands to my iRule Denon page and at least I can control my volume even tho I can't see the value level (the mute is nice too when calibrating Audyessey!).

:)
Yeah, my BEAST Denon AVP/POA obviously also had that feature. Was able to view the Transducer level in iRule (I worked with their team to make it available). Was really slick. SJ

·
Registered
18,632 Posts
Re: Gladiator - from what I heard, that remaster happened because Ridley Scott got involved and wasn't too happy with how it was released originally.
Then we need to bombard Oblivion's director's email, Facebook and Twitter account..........

13081 - 13100 of 32964 Posts