AVS Forum banner

13681 - 13700 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Wow, so Kevin sold you his Integral? Krichter?
I want me some Crowsons :)
Glad to hear about UHD SDR on the Panny with the JVC. So, your using the gamma that you use for Blu-ray and the BT2020 color profile. Are you having to up the brightness any for UHD SDR and backing off the contrast?
Nah, Kevin didn't sell me his Integral but he did point me in the right direction for a sweet deal on one. And I am using the same gamma (Bt1886), for BT2020 and blu ray. I am watching SDR on low lamp, with Iris at auto2 and -7. So far I haven't had to up brightness or adjust contrast when watching SDR BT2020, but I plan on experimenting a bit. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
Thanks Zombie!

I've had my Integral sitting around unopened for quite a while. I have been put off jumping into UHD because of all the uncertainty and fiddling involved (for one thing). But as I understand it, if I use the Panny with conversion, via the Integral, I should get the UHD resolution and WCG, mapped to SDR, and therefore don't have to fiddle with settings per UHD title. Is that correct? If so, maybe it's time to just forget about HDR and jump in with the Panny.
You can get the Panny tax free in your area now. Contact member atabea, he just picked one up locally and can fill you in on the details.

Reactions: R Harkness

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Zombie!

I've had my Integral sitting around unopened for quite a while. I have been put off jumping into UHD because of all the uncertainty and fiddling involved (for one thing). But as I understand it, if I use the Panny with conversion, via the Integral, I should get the UHD resolution and WCG, mapped to SDR, and therefore don't have to fiddle with settings per UHD title. Is that correct? If so, maybe it's time to just forget about HDR and jump in with the Panny.
Can someone post a link to what this Integral thing is? Also, would the Phillips + Integral work just as nicely?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Can someone post a link to what this Integral thing is? Also, would the Phillips + Integral work just as nicely?
Here's the AVS thread on the Integral:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2171745-hdfury-integral.html

The Phillips player lacks the "Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment" feature that the Panny has. That feature does some sort of tone mapping of HDR to SDR. I've not read any docs that describe specifically what it does (compression/shaping/clipping?) however. I just got my Panny this morning, so I'll be playing around with that in the next few days...

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Oh wow, another sub. Sweet! And so it begins. Pretty soon you'll have your room lined with them. lol You should have let me know, I'd sell you my Danley Sound Labs DTS-10. :D

Once the basement is drywalled it's lawn chairs and a bed sheet for a screen and I'm good to go! :)

I want to come over and check out the theater now that both audio and video are calibrated by Chad! maybe in a month or so.
If you are really thinking of selling your DTS-10 I'm interested!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Here's the AVS thread on the Integral:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2171745-hdfury-integral.html

The Phillips player lacks the "Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment" feature that the Panny has. That feature does some sort of tone mapping of HDR to SDR. I've not read any good docs that describe specifically what it does (compression/shaping/clipping?) however. I just got my Panny this morning, so I'll be playing around with that in the next few days...

Henrich, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Here is what Javs has said about the Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment when I asked, not sure if you saw it.

I did mate, and it does have an effect, clicking to the right seems to start behaving exactly like the contrast control and lessens the dynamic range of the image. Clicking it to the left widens the dynamic range (Within SDR) and thus begins to get dull, BUT you can actually go -4 for eg, and gain more highlight detail, then counter that with positive contrast adjustments on the projector, you will end up back almost at the same place you started, but its possible this way to gain a tiny but more highlight detail if you feel you are missing it.

Personally I played with that option for a minute, but set it back to zero. I am confident my image right now is about where SDR is meant to be, I dont think its neccessary to adjust that. Now if that option was available and did anything while HDR was playing, that would be great IMO. But it does not work in HDR.

What I really want is an option to allow you to tell the player how many nits your screen is capable of and it dynamically asjusts the HDR curve to suit it. This is not possible though with the Panasonic. We can only dream. I feel something like that would sort out a lot of issues people are having getting HDR to look right.

Reactions: henrich3

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
No! Santa will be delivering in time for X-mas. Who is the source telling you spring? You can't believe everything on the internets. :D
OH… you might have more recent intel then (mine was a recollection from months ago when we first started talking about it). Has there been an Oppo confirmation in time for Santas bag of goodies (then I'd wait for sure especially knowing yur in too)!?? :laugh:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
If you are really thinking of selling your DTS-10 I'm interested!
Really? I really like it but, I'm doing something different for my dedicated theater room and want the space back in my Great Room, it's BIG! It was really fun to build too! It is still unfinished Baltic Birch ply and works excellent, I'm still using it to this day. PM me further. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
OH… you might have more recent intel then (mine was a recollection from months ago when we first started talking about it). Has there been an Oppo confirmation in time for Santas bag of goodies (then I'd wait for sure especially knowing yur in too)!?? :laugh:
Yes, dammit! Don't you read??

Oh, wait. I'm sorry Kev, I forgot you fried your retinas.

I e-mailed Oppo some time ago and others did as well and got the same response as me. You should e-mail them and see if they are still on target. :D

Tom,

We hope to release our own UHD player this coming Winter to replace the BDP-103/D players, and a player early-2017 to replace the BDP-105/D players.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Henrich, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Here is what Javs has said about the Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment when I asked, not sure if you saw it.
Thanks. Yes, I saw that. I did ask a Panasonic tech support rep if she could provide specifics on what the Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment feature did, but all she was able to do was copy & paste the description from the User Guide. When pressed further about tone mapping, it was clear that she didn't have a clue. It seems that we're on our own if we want to figure out what this feature does. Someone with calibration tools & experience will need to take some measurements if we want something more concrete than subjective descriptions.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I saw that. I did ask a Panasonic tech support rep if she could provide specifics on what the Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment feature did, but all she was able to do was copy & paste the description from the User Guide. When pressed further about tone mapping, it was clear that she didn't have a clue. It seems that we're on our own if we want to figure out what this feature does. Someone with calibration tools & experience will need to take some measurements if we want something more concrete than subjective descriptions.
Yes, that sound typical of what customer service can offer. Really need to talk to an engineer that worked on the product. :)

Reactions: henrich3

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Fresh off the truck.

Should be hooked up tonight or tomorrow morning...then I can post some comparisons from my old Samsung unit. This guy is living up to what I have already read about it. Build quality is top notch and how can you not love the man size remote. :D

I am a bit overwhelmed by all the setting options on this unit compared to what the Samsung offered.

I assume that I don't need to change any settings in my Fury. Currently I am using it to strip out the HDR..

Can't wait to play around with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Thanks Zombie!

I'm just bumping my post above: can someone confirm that I have this right? If so I may grab a Panny tonight. Thanks!

Reactions: Javs

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Thanks Zombie!

I am no Manni or Henrich or any of the usual suspects, but I think your assumptions are correct. At least, that is what I am experiencing with my Integral/Panny.

Oh, and the apple (if you use an iphone or ipad) app just makes controlling the Integral so simple and effective.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
I am no Manni or Henrich or any of the usual suspects, but I think your assumptions are correct. At least, that is what I am experiencing with my Integral/Panny.
Thanks.

Oh, and the apple (if you use an iphone or ipad) app just makes controlling the Integral so simple and effective.
I'm clueless about the Integral and I don't even know what it is you have to operate about it. Switching of some sort, I presume? I hope this isn't something you have to operate every time you use the Integral, since I have all other devices operated from my RTI universal remote, and it would be a step back to start having to use two remotes to operate my system.

·
Registered
804 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
QUESTION ABOUT HDMI INPUT for PANNY with the JVC:

Right now I'm using the HDMI 2 input for all my signals into the JVC RS600. Since I don't have 4K capable equipment to pass through the
UHD signals, I figure I would have to do a straight connection from the Panny UHD player to the unused HDMI 1 input on my JVC.

Are there any issues with using the HDMI 1 input on the JVC, for UHD/4K signals?

(All this edid stuff can be tricky...)

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Fresh off the truck.

Should be hooked up tonight or tomorrow morning...then I can post some comparisons from my old Samsung unit. This guy is living up to what I have already read about it. Build quality is top notch and how can you not love the man size remote. :D

I am a bit overwhelmed by all the setting options on this unit compared to what the Samsung offered.

I assume that I don't need to change any settings in my Fury. Currently I am using it to strip out the HDR..

Can't wait to play around with it.
leave everything default on the Panasonic
Setting # 10 on the HDFury
BT2020 profile on the JVC
Gamma - start with 2.3 or 2.4

While playing a UHD video, hit pause and you should see 'Dynamic Range Conversion'.

What UHD BD's are you going to be looking at?

rich - this is a set it and forget it setup once it's configured.

13681 - 13700 of 33251 Posts