AVS Forum banner

13701 - 13720 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
QUESTION ABOUT HDMI INPUT for PANNY with the JVC:

Right now I'm using the HDMI 2 input for all my signals into the JVC RS600. Since I don't have 4K capable equipment to pass through the
UHD signals, I figure I would have to do a straight connection from the Panny UHD player to the unused HDMI 1 input on my JVC.

Are there any issues with using the HDMI 1 input on the JVC, for UHD/4K signals?

(All this edid stuff can be tricky...)
Panasonic -> HDFury -> RS600 on HDMI 1 working great

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
leave everything default on the Panasonic
Setting # 10 on the HDFury
BT2020 profile on the JVC
Gamma - start with 2.3 or 2.4

While playing a UHD video, hit pause and you should see 'Dynamic Range Conversion'.

What UHD BD's are you going to be looking at?

rich - this is a set it and forget it setup once it's configured.
I am probably not going to adjust any settings on my JVC Rec2020 profile that Chad set for me. He is going to be here the first of October to do some audio work for me, so I will have him do a quick check on the settings.

As far as the "setting #10" on the Fury, is that different than what I would have set for the Samsung to strip out the HDR? Just curious...

Is the Dynamic Range conversion something a good thing? lol

I will probably go with Deadpool, X-Men, Star Trek: Into the Darkness and Revenant since those are the most recent 4K movies I demoed on there

·
Registered
804 Posts
My Panasonic arrives tomorrow and I should have it fired up tomorrow night or Thursday at the latest. I watched some material on my Samsung right before I sold it yesterday, so HOPEFULLY it will be fresh in my mind when I fire the Panasonic up.

:D

From where are you guys buying the Panasonic 4K players?

Thanks.
Ray

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I am probably not going to adjust any settings on my JVC Rec2020 profile that Chad set for me. He is going to be here the first of October to do some audio work for me, so I will have him do a quick check on the settings.

As far as the "setting [URL=http://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=10]#10 "[/URL] on the Fury, is that different than what I would have set for the Samsung to strip out the HDR? Just curious...

Is the Dynamic Range conversion something a good thing? lol

I will probably go with Deadpool, X-Men, Star Trek: Into the Darkness and Revenant since those are the most recent 4K movies I demoed on there
#10 would be the same setting for stripping out the HDR on the Samsung. The only difference is that the Panasonic does a much better job of the dynamic range conversion vs. the Samsung.

I think the benefits of this setup outweighs trying to get optimal HDR settings which can vary between titles. Let us know what you think after you have some viewing time.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
#10 would be the same setting for stripping out the HDR on the Samsung. The only difference is that the Panasonic does a much better job of the dynamic range conversion vs. the Samsung.

I think the benefits of this setup outweighs trying to get optimal HDR settings which can vary between titles. Let us know what you think after you have some viewing time.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Basically plug in play then if you leave everything on the default settings.

Do you set the Dynamic Range conversion as on?, auto? I really need to hook the darn thing up, don't I.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just hooked my Philips UHD player to Yamaha RX-V679 to 25' Monoprice cabernet to RS500 and perfect connection. 4K 4:4:4 in case anyone still looking for cables.

Any quick observations on whether Oblivion would be great first Sci-Fi UHD to watch in HDR.

Creed came free with the Philips. I really enjoyed the movie but it's not Sci-Fi, which I love.

Netflix HDR and 4K Ultra looks great on the JVC.

I need a superlative:

The picture is stunning!

I watched Edge of Tomorrow in 3D yesterday and the projector made the movie so much better than on my 4910. The 3D was seamless. I loved my 4910, but this is in a different category...

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
negative, it does it automatically once the HDFury does it's thing. set it and forget it.

if it's all working correctly, you will see the top menu show dynamic range conversion when you pause. Hooking it up is a good idea.. :)
I have been trying to wrap up a few work items so I opened up the player briefly to look at it. Currently it is sitting up in my theater room awaiting me to install it.

We have dinner tonight with some friends who just had a baby, so I am not sure if I will get it hooked up tonight or if it will be tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Yes, dammit! Don't you read??

Oh, wait. I'm sorry Kev, I forgot you fried your retinas.

I e-mailed Oppo some time ago and others did as well and got the same response as me. You should e-mail them and see if they are still on target. :D

Tom,

We hope to release our own UHD player this coming Winter to replace the BDP-103/D players, and a player early-2017 to replace the BDP-105/D players.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
well cedia is only couple of weeks away...so if they want this thing out by your winter they'd better get their skates on :D

·
Registered
15,351 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts

Well said, Zombie, I think anyone who has seen what the Integral/Panasonic does with SDR BT2020, will not miss or even want HDR since it is so difficult to get the image just right without a professional (HDR) calibration, by someone who knows what they are doing---a la ChadB. Actually, with the exception of some intermittent highlights on a few well authored UHD discs, SDR BT2020 comes really close and even exceeds it (HDR) in terms of having better blacks, the use of the DI, the ability to run in low bulb, and a more consistently stable picture.

·
Registered
804 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I could not find Oppo listed as an exhibitor at CEDIA, but maybe looking in the wrong place.... SJ
It seems unlikely they will announce something specific at CEDIA since they have been tagerting Winter, which starts nearly 100 days later. But it would be cool if they told us what they plan, even if it is still months away.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Well I picked up the Panny player. I hope I can find time to try it out soon before the return policy expires. Problem is I have literally no room for it on any of my equipment racks. Though I guess it could replace my Oppo player if the Panny works ok. (I still have an HD DVD player taking up a rack space, but also have so many HD DVDs it's hard to get rid of the player).

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
You've had your head in this thread too long Kev;)! How'd you miss the JVC 4K confirmed thread :eek:! I've been all over that bad boy for weeks! We don't even have to wait around for till CEDIA, just a few days till IFA Berlin where all will be revealed:D:D.
Sounds like it's going to be waaay outta my league! :D

13701 - 13720 of 33251 Posts