AVS Forum banner

13721 - 13740 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
So when you run in this config, do you just stick with a normal SDR calibration or do you try and bump the brightness to bring back some of the highlights?

Ya know… we still haven't gotten your first impressions on the JVC Stranger (or are you still tinkering?). ;)

·
Premium Member
JVC Z1, SI PW 150", MX160, M.L. 535H, Meridian 559, 2 x Sherbourne 2-160, REVEL Studio2,Gem2,Voice2
3,473 Posts
Reactions: krichter1

·
Registered
965 Posts
Guys, I haven't seen this myself in the demo but I am told by quite a few folks that the JVC is prone to jitters during fast motion scenes and does fare worse compared to other projectors. Could you share your experience if and how you have handled this?

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
Well I picked up the Panny player. I hope I can find time to try it out soon before the return policy expires. Problem is I have literally no room for it on any of my equipment racks. Though I guess it could replace my Oppo player if the Panny works ok. (I still have an HD DVD player taking up a rack space, but also have so many HD DVDs it's hard to get rid of the player).
Did you get the save the tax deal? Got mine for $699, sspecial one off price, mey dealer owed me a favor , prices afe coming down though. Unless you are using darbee the Panny should replace the Oppo . I have room in my rack, so my Oppo stays, nice to have a backup anyway. My UB900 is being delivered today but may have to go out of town tonight. Always seems to work out that way. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Ya know… we still haven't gotten your first impressions on the JVC Stranger (or are you still tinkering?). ;)
Yeah kind of. I need to take some more time and calibrate it. I really want to try and see what I can get out of HDR, for SDR I need at most Low lamp and about -13 aperture, I can probably go all the way to -15, so I've got a huge amount of headroom for HDR. I did watch The Last Witch Hunter (mediocre), but the HDR effect with the fire was kind of neat, but I hadn't done any sort of calibration at all, just plopped the basic settings in. I've also got my Integral still, so I need to put that back in place and try SDR Rec.2020, but I've "only" got the Samsung. At this point I think I'm holding out for the Oppo.

Overall I quite like it.

I do have one question, how much flicker is normal with these? I'm getting relatively significant flickering on Low lamp so I've been running in high lamp for the last week or so to hopefully stabilize it.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Guys, I haven't seen this myself in the demo but I am told by quite a few folks that the JVC is prone to jitters during fast motion scenes and does fare worse compared to other projectors. Could you share your experience if and how you have handled this?
The best way to test this is to run 2 projectors in an A/B stack with a split source. I had the 4K VW1100 for 2 years and spent months comparing it to the RS600 before I sold it.

With BD content, good luck figuring out which projector was which during a fast paced movie like Oblivion.

That is not a 3D version of Oblivion - both projectors are using the same exact source. I looked for this closely and those comments you are reading are overstated. Memory is the worst way to compare 2 projectors. :)

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Yeah kind of. I need to take some more time and calibrate it. I really want to try and see what I can get out of HDR, for SDR I need at most Low lamp and about -13 aperture, I can probably go all the way to -15, so I've got a huge amount of headroom for HDR. I did watch The Last Witch Hunter (mediocre), but the HDR effect with the fire was kind of neat, but I hadn't done any sort of calibration at all, just plopped the basic settings in. I've also got my Integral still, so I need to put that back in place and try SDR Rec.2020, but I've "only" got the Samsung. At this point I think I'm holding out for the Oppo.

Overall I quite like it.

I do have one question, how much flicker is normal with these? I'm getting relatively significant flickering on Low lamp so I've been running in high lamp for the last week or so to hopefully stabilize it.
I had a few 400's and 1/2 dozen 600's, I didn't see that on any of copies I had here. Does it do it in high lamp?

After spending time with HDR and SDR on the Samsung / Panasonic, there is a remarkable difference with SDR and a noticeable difference with the HDR out of the box settings. pls keep that in mind when testing. I spent a good bit of time tweaking the samsung and definitely appreciating the out of the box experience on the Panasonic. expensive but worth it imo.

The SDR converstion abilities are the area Oppo is going to need to target, that is a major stand out feature. They will have to match or exceed in this area.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
The best way to test this is to run 2 projectors in an A/B stack with a split source. I had the 4K VW1100 for 2 years and spent months comparing it to the RS600 before I sold it.

With BD content, good luck figuring out which projector was which during a fast paced movie like Oblivion.

That is not a 3D version of Oblivion - both projectors are using the same exact source. I looked for this closely and those comments you are reading are overstated. Memory is the worst way to compare 2 projectors. :)

Yeah I did this too with my 300ES and RS500.

Both my overlaid images were so damn close to being perfect I could have almost watched a whole movie with both projectors running it was almost totally in focus!

As for motion, I can confirm it is absolutely identical. How do I know this? Well, scenes in films stayed almost perfectly in focus at all times pointing to the fact that both projectors actually has almost identical motion handling.

Flickr from the bulb and panel is, I think, what people refer to as not liking the motion. My RS500 does exhibit some unrest in terms of flickr. Its very subtle but most definitely there. I think of it as almost like a super fast 3d glasses flickr effect across the whole screen. Its almost noticable enough that your brain does not quite like it. At least mine doesn't. I am used to it on this unit, but was immediately aware of it when I fired up the JVC the first time, and it could be seen in the comparisons. High lamp doesnt seem to change anything there. I am really hoping a laser unit will completely calm the JVC's down. That is one major reason I would be prepared to pay a premium for it.

·
Registered
965 Posts

Thanks a lot zombie. Feels like Einstein himself is answering to a child's question on "what is physics"

Well it's not the VW1100, but the mainstream 5040, Sony HW45 that I am trying to compare against. Perhaps it's the high brightness to darkness contrast motion, that makes it feel jittery to some, when not calibrated out of the box?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yeah I did this too with my 300ES and RS500.

Flickr from the bulb and panel is, I think, what people refer to as not liking the motion. My RS500 does exhibit some unrest in terms of flickr. Its very subtle but most definitely there. I think of it as almost like a super fast 3d glasses flickr effect across the whole screen. Its almost noticable enough that your brain does not quite like it. At least mine doesn't. I am used to it on this unit, but was immediately aware of it when I fired up the JVC the first time, and it could be seen in the comparisons. High lamp doesnt seem to change anything there. I am really hoping a laser unit will completely calm the JVC's down. That is one major reason I would be prepared to pay a premium for it.
Flicker across the entire screen? During fast motion scenes, or just abrupt, irrespective of the scenes? Any idea why would it do that? was it 4k 1080p specific or regardless of the source? I would love to her from the experts on their take.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Flicker across the entire screen? During fast motion scenes, or just abrupt, irrespective of the scenes?

The whole screen. Its only really noticeable when there is a still image on the screen for some time. I run an HTPC so I see it a lot on the desktop background, though I'm sensitive to video, so many people may not notice or be aware of it.

The Sony had its own problems, it used to shimmer but it didn't flicker :)

Both only noticeable on a still frame. But I still think it attributed to the feeling that the motion is not quite so 'calm'.

Which is worse, not sure :)

Definitely not something that should prevent you buying one. Its not really an issue. Just a quirk rather. I think a laser would certainly solve it.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I had a few 400's and 1/2 dozen 600's, I didn't see that on any of copies I had here. Does it do it in high lamp?
I will say no, or it settles down in high lamp. I've been running high lamp -15 on the iris for the past few days (I remember recommendations from a Planar rep, way back that said to switch to high lamp if you had flicker). I didn't notice the flicker the first day or so I had it in low lamp, but it's definitely there now, or at least still was last night in low lamp. Guess I'll see how the weekend goes and maybe I'll bug Craig about it.

After spending time with HDR and SDR on the Samsung / Panasonic, there is a remarkable difference with SDR and a noticeable difference with the HDR out of the box settings. pls keep that in mind when testing. I spent a good bit of time tweaking the samsung and definitely appreciating the out of the box experience on the Panasonic. expensive but worth it imo.

The SDR converstion abilities are the area Oppo is going to need to target, that is a major stand out feature. They will have to match or exceed in this area.
Understood, if there weren't an Oppo coming, I'd have the Pany on order right now, but I kind of want to be patient in the mean time, since I already have the Samsung. Hopefully there will be more info on the Oppo around CEDIA time, maybe it will be a $1000 player and not have any features the Panasonic doesn't, if so, maybe I'll just get a Panasonic then.

And FWIW my "testing" is just "tinkering" to get everything setup as best I can.

Out of curiosity, have you compared Netflix/streaming 24p from the Samsung to 60p from the Panasonic with IVTC enabled on the JVC?

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Do you have the DI turned on to either Auto 1 or Auto 2?

I don't see any flicker with the JVC RS600 when the aperture is in manual setting, but there is definitely flicker sometimes when using the DI. I attribute this to some instability in the gamma changing the JVC uses with the DI, sort of like certain images makes the gamma-change algorithm uncertain and it starts flickering or something. Some movies I never see this happen with the DI on, but occasionally it's noticeable enough for me to choose to turn the DI off, unfortunately.

Reactions: rak306

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi Guys

I am wondering which cable connection is better?

1. From Samsung 8500 to Marantz 7702m2 then to Rs500
2. Samsung 8500 to Marantz for audio, then from Samsung 8500 to Rs500 directly for video

Fie either way, I need two cables. For option 1, both cable need to be 4K. Is it right? For option 2, I don't have to use 4K cable from Samsung to Marantz for audio. Am I right? I bought one 40ft fibre optics . I need another short cable 2 or 3 ft from Samsung to Marantz. Could you recommend one 4K cable? could I use different 4K cables ?

Thanks

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've noticed strict, vertical banding (not source related) on backgrounds with any flavor of CMD active. Turned off it goes away.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Did you get the save the tax deal? Got mine for $699, sspecial one off price, mey dealer owed me a favor , prices afe coming down though. Unless you are using darbee the Panny should replace the Oppo . I have room in my rack, so my Oppo stays, nice to have a backup anyway. My UB900 is being delivered today but may have to go out of town tonight. Always seems to work out that way. :rolleyes:
I got it with the tax off, but paid $100 more than you. Nice deal you got there.

I'll have to struggle with replacing the Oppo if the Panny isn't region free (which I assumed it wasn't). A couple of my favorite movies are region B locked.

BTW, I certainly know about the inevitable delayed gratification on a purchase. I'm infamous among my pals for absolutely nothing going right the first time, with technology. I have come to simply expect that whatever I buy won't just work, and there will be headaches, hassle and a long wait until I actually get it to work. Which is one reason I have become hesitant to switch gear or introduce new things into my system.
Reminds me of how my friend saw the idea of having kids "Well, I'm married to a great woman, everything is going smoothly...now why don't I just have kids and f#ck everything up ?" :D (He's since had a kid and loves it btw). I feel that way about my system: it's all running smoothly...so of course now I have to mess it up by changing it.

13721 - 13740 of 33251 Posts