AVS Forum banner

13881 - 13900 of 32885 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Yeah, that Panny seems awesome. Congrats!

And I want to say that what I think doesn't matter, especially if they look good to you in person. It just seemed like there was some clipping going on from where I'm seeing them. It could just be the camera transfer. Even in those scenes, I keep in mind that the ANSI on these new JVCs is outstanding.
I am not tech savy enough to know what "clipping" is, so I am not sure I would be able to point it out. :)

Chad will be here later this month, so I will have him work some magic if needed. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am not tech savy enough to know what "clipping" is, so I am not sure I would be able to point it out. :)
Sorry, and I'm probably no better because clipping is a word often used but maybe not so easily defined. I'd say it can be considered as a loss in image detail due to blown out areas/highlights --if that helps. :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
That's gotta be it then (I haven't done once since I got it in Mar/Apr). But you're also right about using the Fury… I do b/c it's active in the chain but never use 4K/SDR any more on the Samsung (it blows!). ;)

Kevin, how's that new sub working out with your PJ?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'd like to ask, again, is there any downside in leaving the Ethernet cable plugged in permanently at both ends (JVC & router) after completing Autocal?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yeah that movie goes WAY off the deep end in the 2nd half but its definitely demo material.

I tell you what, I watched Capt America Civil War last night in good old 1080p Rec709 and I was struck by how great that film looks on the RS500.

I cant imagine the UHD version being much better than that, except for the additional colour maybe :)

With MadVR taking care of things, it was sharp as a tack, some really great mixed APL level content. I recommend everybody check it out!

Large Portions of that film were shot with the Arri Alexa 65 (Used on The Revenant), and the Arri Alexa IMAX (Based on the Alex 65) and it definitely shows. Stunning fine detail, extremely clean film.

No Atmos soundtrack unfortunately.

BTW... where the heck is all the Marvel stuff in UHD??

How the heck did you get this so early!? :eek: (you lucky Bastardo!) :D

We saw this in IMAX 3D originally and I kept leaning over to my wife saying how good this was going to look in 3D in our theater (but after like the 3rd time she said, "yes dear but let's just enjoy this version now"). ;)

Can't wait to see this in 3D but like you mention kinda bummed not on Atmos (and as far as UHD goes… they know what they have in this series and know if they don't release this version first there'd be no opportunity for "the double dip"! :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Kevin, how's that new sub working out with your PJ?

It was just delivered and unboxed. :D

Not overly crazy about the look in the room but I guess with how big it is it's acceptable and hides fairly well (I'm half hoping it won't sound good there and I'll have to put it in the back corner of the room), :)

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
I had mine professionally calibrated by ChadB, so I will have to see what he has mine set at the next time I turn my projector on.

Might have to pick up "Lucy" this weekend...
you have to pick up Lucy and see it in SDR, this is pure eye candy. it's definitely one of the best visual presentations i've seen in my HT and will use it for demo material when guests visit.
Hi Zombie10k

Could you pls advise me why you prefer SDR using Fury? Is it because HDR is too dark? How is picture quality comparison between HDR WCG and SDR WCG? I just ordered Lucy as well.

I have my rs500 on my way. So I have not seen it so far. My dealer told me it is not dark once it is calibrated properly . That is why I let them calibrated it. Any comments on HDR after calibration ? Thx

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I'd like to ask, again, is there any downside in leaving the Ethernet cable plugged in permanently at both ends (JVC & router) after completing Autocal?
JVC Firmware update procedure requires no other cables to be plugged in except power cord. So you'll have to disconnect the Ethernet/LAN cable. See http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd-dl.html

I've never heard any issues with LAN connections.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Wow does that new JVC 4K laser sound nice (and too expensive!)…

"The DLA-Z1 also boasts the worlds smallest native 4K DILA device that narrows the pixel gap by 31% against former items with a resolution of true 4K at 4096 x 2160 pixels from the three 0.69inch for red, green and blue. The light source is, of course, the 'Blu-Escent' which is a blue laser diode with 20,000 operational hours and a claimed 3,000 lumens brightness. This will help produce more realistic peak brightness for HDR content and also larger screen sizes. The laser can control output according to the scenes brightness and contrast using the Dynamic Light Source Control. JVC claim they can reach a contrast ratio of infinity with this technology."

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Hi Don,

For HDR, you are still going to need to use Gamma D. And something like 12/5/5 on the gamma tweaks.

I had mine on JVC Contrast +14 which clipped right around 1200 nits.
JVC Brightnes I had on +3 also.

When you use SDR on the Panasonic without using a Fury you will be totally forgoing HDR obviously but more importantly you will also be kicked back to Rec.709. At that point the only UHD advantage you will be getting is the marginal sharpness increase and none of the wide colour gamut. Thats why we are all using the Fury. SDR, but the WCG to go with it. Makes for a fantastic image for those of us who dont think HDR on our JVC's is where it needs to be, or really dont want to give up that contrast performance with HDR since the Auto Iris does not function under HDR mode.

Other than that, the great thing about the Panny for HDR and even SDR BT.2020 you dont need to set any cutom picture modes on it. It just works right out of the box!

I will say that even HDR itself, though you hear a lot of us Panny users using SDR actually works far better than it did with the Samsung too. It just seems to be mapped a little better, I find the shadow detail far improved in HDR under the Panasonic for eg. Thats without even getting in to how much better the Panasonic tone maps HDR to SDR. Hell, even BT2020 seems much more controlled and accurate under the Panny. There is certainly a red push on the Samsung vs the Panasonic. Mad Max shows this to you within second of booting the film. The desert looks like a desert not some orange thing.

I am going to agree on the SDR/2020. I used Calman and my Lumagen Pro and the initial pre Calibration pass with the basic settings for bt2020 via the JVC profile were almost spot on. I had a few Delta errors but overall was surprised how accurate it was. I did a quick Autocal to tighten everything up.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
How the heck did you get this so early!? :eek: (you lucky Bastardo!) :D

We saw this in IMAX 3D originally and I kept leaning over to my wife saying how good this was going to look in 3D in our theater (but after like the 3rd time she said, "yes dear but let's just enjoy this version now"). ;)

Can't wait to see this in 3D but like you mention kinda bummed not on Atmos (and as far as UHD goes… they know what they have in this series and know if they don't release this version first there'd be no opportunity for "the double dip"! :)

Oh that movie is out on BR in Australia now :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
JVC Firmware update procedure requires no other cables to be plugged in except power cord. So you'll have to disconnect the Ethernet/LAN cable. See http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd-dl.html

I've never heard any issues with LAN connections.
Thanks for your reply. I wasn't referring to the firmware update, as this doesn't require an network connection. I was inquiring about the JVC Procal sequence which, according to what I've read, does require a network connection. Other than temporarily unplugging the Ethernet connection when I would have to access the PJ for an infrequent firmware update, it would be far easier for me to leave the Ethernet cable attached at both ends, but I need to know whether having this "live" interface would cause any problems with the PJ.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
BTW, since so many who post to this thread have discussed at great lengths many (non-UHD) Blu-Ray movies with outstanding black and contrast levels, why hasn't anyone commented on either of the two "Sin City" movies (especially #2, "A Dame To Kill For")?? I can't imagine any films with consistently greater shadow detail and gray scale range. IMHO, these movies' immersive gray scale palette and infrequent explosive use of color together with a dynamic & engrossing (although with only a 5.1 DTS:MA) audio track really place these movies in close to a category of their own as a movie experience. BTW, the 3D BR release of "A Dame To Kill For" is absolutely jaw dropping. I really hope that they can receive a worthy UHD treatment in the future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not overly crazy about the look in the room but I guess with how big it is it's acceptable and hides fairly well.
I have a narrow HT room (11wx16d) and I was thinking the same placement. Mine comes next Thursday and would love to know what you think of it? I can't imagine where I could fit a second one since everyone recommends 2.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I wasn't referring to the firmware update, as this doesn't require an network connection. I was inquiring about the JVC Procal sequence which, according to what I've read, does require a network connection. Other than temporarily unplugging the Ethernet connection when I would have to access the PJ for an infrequent firmware update, it would be far easier for me to leave the Ethernet cable attached at both ends, but I need to know whether having this "live" interface would cause any problems with the PJ.
i never disconnect the Ethernet cable aside from FW updated.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
i never disconnect the Ethernet cable aside from FW updated.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll assume that means that your JVC performs as intended, with no electrical (etc.) interference from the "live" internet connection.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Hi Don,

For HDR, you are still going to need to use Gamma D. And something like 12/5/5 on the gamma tweaks.

I had mine on JVC Contrast +14 which clipped right around 1200 nits.
JVC Brightnes I had on +3 also.

When you use SDR on the Panasonic without using a Fury you will be totally forgoing HDR obviously but more importantly you will also be kicked back to Rec.709. At that point the only UHD advantage you will be getting is the marginal sharpness increase and none of the wide colour gamut. Thats why we are all using the Fury. SDR, but the WCG to go with it. Makes for a fantastic image for those of us who dont think HDR on our JVC's is where it needs to be, or really dont want to give up that contrast performance with HDR since the Auto Iris does not function under HDR mode.

Other than that, the great thing about the Panny for HDR and even SDR BT.2020 you dont need to set any cutom picture modes on it. It just works right out of the box!

I will say that even HDR itself, though you hear a lot of us Panny users using SDR actually works far better than it did with the Samsung too. It just seems to be mapped a little better, I find the shadow detail far improved in HDR under the Panasonic for eg. Thats without even getting in to how much better the Panasonic tone maps HDR to SDR. Hell, even BT2020 seems much more controlled and accurate under the Panny. There is certainly a red push on the Samsung vs the Panasonic. Mad Max shows this to you within second of booting the film. The desert looks like a desert not some orange thing.
Are you using low lamp on SDR WCG? What about in HDR low lamp or High?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I still like my LD collection. never watch any of the movies even though I still have a Pioneer CLD-99. It's great to have all the artwork inside. The majority of guests here have never seen the disks in person.

Anyone interested in an UNOPENED limited CAV edition of "ET"???????????

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Are you using low lamp on SDR WCG? What about in HDR low lamp or High?
SDR Low Lamp -10. That's about 15-16fl

HDR Low Lamp -4.

Used to run High Lamp -5 or so, but I kinda dig low lamp -4, its probably 80-90 nits. I'm fine with that. I wanted lower black floor and more contrast.

13881 - 13900 of 32885 Posts