AVS Forum banner

13961 - 13980 of 32901 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
"Travis "Big Balls" Wright". On previous page with my post about the (basically) "sequel" to The Art of Flight film, The FOURTHSENSE trailer. Ron, LOL.... you dumbass!! that would be Travis Rice. I already went back and fixed it so please no quoting or mocking if / when someone checks out the footage and saw that before I fixed it. :rolleyes: :D :D

Here again for the link:

Shameless re-posting of my thought .... I know. Eff it these pages fly by so fast. You need to see it.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
"Travis "Big Balls" Wright". On previous page with my post about the (basically) "sequel" to The Art of Flight film, The FOURTHSENSE trailer. Ron, LOL.... you dumbass!! that would be Travis Rice. I already went back and fixed it so please no quoting or mocking if / when someone checks out the footage and saw that before I fixed it. :rolleyes: :D :D

Welcome back dumbass! :p :D ;)

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Long story why I have the Lumagen Pro but I started out thinking to do a simple calibration, I ended up with this beast. I was going to keep my Sony VW600 and bridge the next wave of projectors two years away.
By keeping the VW600 I would want to do a calibration since one has never been done before and I do not have a pro that I can call on because I do not live in a major center. A Lumagen Pro would allow me to do the calibration, stretch 4K and the software when available, allow mapping of 4K HDR. I would essentially have faux HDR on my projector. I actually started off looking for a lower end Lumagen to start but found the PRO at a really good price and figured it would last through the next two tiers of projectors.

Then my dealer calls me up and offers me a rocking deal on the JVC RS600 that I couldn't turn down, the VW600 sold and here I am. Don't really need the Lumagen as the JVC autocal and Spider5 would do . I actually listed the Lumagen, if it sells fine, if not I have a bit of homework to do in the calibration end .:p

I purchased Chromapure with autocal and picked up the i1 display 3 pro. The calibration process will not start until late fall, going to enjoy things the way they are for now, dig in when the leaves start to fall .;)

You cannot Autocal a JVC with anything other than JVC Autocal Software.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Presumably, you will be able to run an autocal with the Lumagen Pro for HDR and BT2020 just like you can run it right now with a lumagen or DVDO processor for rec 709. Of course, that would be when Calman and Chromapure release an update to enable this. I believe Lumagen already has things in place to facilitate this.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
A Radiance Pro can give you a 17x17x17 3D LUT cal with a true tone mapped HDR to SDR output after Lumagen releases their LUT shaping FW update and the calibration SW vendors release their Lumagen patches. JVC's CMS is crude in comparison to what the Radiance offers. It all depends on how picky you are about accuracy.

Many pro calibrators will travel out of town if you're willing to pay their expenses.

Thanks for the reassurance, likely going to keep this and start dialing things in later in the fall. Hard to believe it's
possible to get a better picture. I have a huge learning curve to deal with, will have to wait until I have time. Should
hopefully have all the FW updates and SW vendor Lumagen patches by then. With the Lumagen and UB900 I will probably not need the Oppo unless it has unforeseen hidden secrets. :p

I may talk with a calibrator at some point, will give the Lumagen a honest go first . Flights to Eastern Canada not cheap have to work with what I have first. ;)

Reactions: henrich3

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Presumably, you will be able to run an autocal with the Lumagen Pro for HDR and BT2020 just like you can run it right now with a lumagen or DVDO processor for rec 709. Of course, that would be when Calman and Chromapure release an update to enable this. I believe Lumagen already has things in place to facilitate this.
Well since he listed his Lumagen for sale I thought I might as well point it out.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
In performing the Autocal, if the RS600 is connected to the wireless router by an Ethernet cable, can the PC be on wireless to that router or does it also need to be connected by an Ethernet cable? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
In performing the Autocal, if the RS600 is connected to the wireless router by an Ethernet cable, can the PC be on wireless to that router or does it also need to be connected by an Ethernet cable? Thanks!
As long as whatever device it is, is on the same network and can see each other. So, yes, it doesn't matter how the devices are connected, as long as they share the same IP family, be it 192.0.0.1.etc...

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
You can Autocal the JVC with many devices together with Calman or Lightspace and probably other calibration software ( I only know these two as I own them both). I can name the Lumagen, eeColor, Murideo Prisma, AJA Video LUT Box, Calman Colorbox (same as eeColor), MadVR and probably some more. And all of these perform 3D LUTS that will exceed the results of the JVC Autocal by far. The JVC Autocal is a nice startingpoint, but you need to do mare than that to get reference results and if you want the most accurate colors you need to do a 3D LUT.

I am happy with doing the 13 point (because of the raised levels near black with the Autocal and a much better grayscale) grayscale in the JVC Autocal program and the colors internally in the JVC as this gives me acceptable results. But if it was not for the sync problem with the RS600 and eeColor I would have done a 3D LUT. I am thinking of buying a new Lumagen Pro, but I don´t think the cost can be defended as I have done 3D LUT´s with Lumagen on a RS600 and I can not say it gave me a much better experience when watching a movie. There is no discussion the results are more accurate when doing a 3D LUT with at least 2-5000 points and some do 10000 points, the Lumagen can do 4913 points (17x17x17) and the eeColor can do 9261 points (21x21x21).

Edit: LS can do grid based 21-point if you use a custom patch of colors you can use for example 10.000 points that can contain 65 point grayscale or 65 point luminance per colors you can do custom colorsets for 20.000 points, for video range eeColor use 56 points.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
You can Autocal the JVC with many devices together with Calman or Lightspace and probably other calibration software ( I only know these two as I own them both). I can name the Lumagen, eeColor, Murideo Prisma, AJA Video LUT Box, Calman Colorbox (same as eeColor), MadVR and probably some more. And all of these perform 3D LUTS that will exceed the results of the JVC Autocal by far. The JVC Autocal is a nice startingpoint, but you need to do mare than that to get reference results and if you want the most accurate colors you need to do a 3D LUT.

I am happy with doing the 13 point (because of the raised levels near black with the Autocal and a much better grayscale) grayscale in the JVC Autocal program and the colors internally in the JVC as this gives me acceptable results. But if it was not for the sync problem with the RS600 and eeColor I would have done a 3D LUT. I am thinking of buying a new Lumagen Pro, but I don´t think the cost can be defended as I have done 3D LUT´s with Lumagen on a RS600 and I can not say it gave me a much better experience when watching a movie. There is no discussion the results are more accurate when doing a 3D LUT with at least 2-5000 points and some do 10000 points, the Lumagen can do 4913 points (17x17x17) and the eeColor can do 9261 points (21x21x21).
Sure, all of those use LUT's. I probably should have been more clear about meaning that no programs other than JVC Autocal can control the JVC's internal controls directly for calibration. Unless I am wrong on that too?

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Sure, all of those use LUT's. I probably should have been more clear about meaning that no programs other than JVC Autocal can control the JVC's internal controls directly for calibration. Unless I am wrong on that too?
Not wrong. It's a frustration of mine. These settings used to be accessible manually and by programs such as CalMAN. Now they are not.

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Yes, you are wrong about that also.:)

There are two programs available THX and isf (both are the same just different name made by JVC) and they can do 16-128 point grayscale, but they can not do Autocal...;)

They also give you 4 more presets on your JVC THX bright/dark and isf night/day.

Reactions: roxiedog13

·
Registered
8,453 Posts

There are two programs available THX and isf (both are the same just different name made by JVC) and they can do 16-128 point grayscale, but they can not do Autocal...;)

They also give you 4 more presets on your JVC THX bright/dark and isf night/day.
Ha! And are they publicly available?

·
Registered
6,711 Posts

I'd love to get my hands on that! Unfortunately I think Javs' question is a good one.

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Yes they are on JVC´s website.:)

But you need to know how to manually set grayscale points in Calman as it devides the grayscale into 16 when set to 16 points and 33 if set to 33 and so on. So the first 4 measuring points on the 16 point is 6, 13, 18 and 25 not the 5,10,15 and 20 in the normal Calman 21 points...

And also it uses the natural colorspace and it is a bit oversaturated.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
As bizarre as Lucy is (never saw it till friday night) it's hard to believe how good it looks on the RS600 with this setup.
I would have to agree with that statement - I spun up my Lucy UHD disc for the first time last night, and my jaw was genuinely on the floor - I was quite amazed by the sheer amount of clarity and detail on screen. This is the first actual movie I have seen that equals or exceeds the image quality I have seen on some of the 4K demo clips I've played.

This is by far and away the best image quality I have seen so far from my set-up, and this is now my reference disc. Its a shame all movies can't be shot and mastered to this level of quality - I'd be a very happy bunny if they were. It suspect it also highlights what can be achieved from a 4K DI, vs some of the other discs that are simply upscaled from a 2K DI. Hopefully we'll see more and more movies originating from a 4K DI as we go forward with this format.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts

The law of diminishing returns applies I would think. Once you reach a certain level, every incremental step beyond that is much more complicated, less noticeable and much more expensive. To be honest what I saw on my screen last night running the UB900 -> Fury -> RS600 was near nirvana , albeit just a tad dim. This is definitely a new level of experience, it's what keeps this hobby so interesting. :p
That being said I did notice a slight red push to flesh tones,a calibration of any level would likely tweak the colors.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The law of diminishing returns applies I would think. Once you reach a certain level, every incremental step beyond that is much more complicated, less noticeable and much more expensive. To be honest what I saw on my screen last night running the UB900 -> Fury -> RS600 was near nirvana , albeit just a tad dim. This is definitely a new level of experience, it's what keeps this hobby so interesting. :p
That being said I did notice a slight red push to flesh tones,a calibration of any level would likely tweak the colors.
Have you had any sort of calibration done on your JVC and Panasonic?

My JVC has been calibrated, but not tweaked since I added the Panasonic.
In watching "The Intern" on Saturday night, I initially thought maybe it was a little red on a few scenes but after reading the blu-ray review it sounds like it was how it was shot.

Everything else I have watched, has looked great with zero red push...unlike my previous Samsung.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Roxie, I can't remember if you did the JVC autocal but assuming you have, did you go back and adjust 100% white? If not, you should try doing that using your i1D3 and Chromapure (which I think you have). That would likely address any red push you might have.

13961 - 13980 of 32901 Posts