AVS Forum banner

14061 - 14080 of 33279 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Here's a piece of good news for folks wishing to wishing to purchase the X750 (RS500) or X950 (RS600) in Canada. The JVC mail-in-rebate for spare bulb has now been extended to September 30. See attached.
I was so excited , thought I was eligible for a free lamp but my purchase date is a couple months too early . Suppose it doesn't help to send in anyway, ya never know. :p

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I just wanted to follow up after re-reading that the DL up two clicks was for a 2.4 power gamma.
But after Autocal of Normal, for me, going to 2.4 was crushing blacks and the lack of shadow detail at 2.4 in Cinema 2 made me feel like I was missing part of the show.... Up DL two clicks on 2.4 didn't help me and looked a bit washed out with Normal, as I said.

IIRC the DL+2 suggestion made by Manni for an uncalibrated JVC (to get very close to BT1886), worked very well for me but while using STD not Cinema. Now that ChadB calibrated my machine for BT1886 on the 2.4 curve it looks even better. Since you used AutoCal I would ask this ? in that thread to get a correct answer. ;)

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Maybe by early next year we can get someone to do a Philips / Panasonic / Samsung / Oppo 4K BR player shoot out ! :D I am always the optimist - come on Oppo !
For some reason I'd rather give Oppo $700 than Panasonic. But all I need is a transport with good HDR->SDR conversion, and if the Philips truly uses the same chipset as the Panasonic, and has the same quality/capabilities in that regard, $300 is more my speed than $700 or $1000.

·
Registered
19,851 Posts
For some reason I'd rather give Oppo $700 than Panasonic. But all I need is a transport with good HDR->SDR conversion, and if the Philips truly uses the same chipset as the Panasonic, and has the same quality/capabilities in that regard, $300 is more my speed than $700 or $1000.
Good point. Wonder what 4K BR players might be at Cedia next week ? I'll keep my eye out.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Maybe by early next year we can get someone to do a Philips / Panasonic / Samsung / Oppo 4K BR player shoot out !
I am always the optimist - come on Oppo !
If oppo can do good HDR SDR conversion , do we still need HDFury? I am trying to understand if I need to buy Fury? Thx

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
If oppo can do good HDR SDR conversion , do we still need HDFury? I am trying to understand if I need to buy Fury? Thx
Only if (like the other player specs so far), for SDR they use Rec709 rather than WCG BT2020.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Maybe by early next year we can get someone to do a Philips / Panasonic / Samsung / Oppo 4K BR player shoot out ! :D I am always the optimist - come on Oppo !
I'm happy enough with the Panasonic right now , the Oppo will need to have some serious additional features to make me move again. With the Lumagen Pro I probably will have all the features I need. :p
I'm sure the Sammy will hit its stride at some point with a few more FW updates. Sucks being first , you end up working out all the issues and there were/are a lot. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Reactions: Tom Bley
14061 - 14080 of 33279 Posts