AVS Forum banner

14301 - 14320 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I just tried to input "Fury" as a coupon on the HDFury website but it was rejected ("Sorry, this coupon is not applicable to your cart contents").
Try "Krichter1" that should work :D

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Yes, and I backed the losing team. For as long as I could. In fact I just finally got rid on my HD DVD player and my last discs.
I still have 3 players and 143 disks. I think I've misplaced a player somewhere out in the garage...

Roomie on my iPad still has a button for "Play HD-DVD". It's as easy as pressing a button.

"We shall never give up! We shall never surrender!"

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
I still have 3 players and 143 disks. I think I've misplaced a player somewhere out in the garage...

Roomie on my iPad still has a button for "Play HD-DVD". It's as easy as pressing a button.

Similar situation here. Except it's becoming more of a burden. My HD DVD discs are failing, and my HD DVD player is taking up some valuable room on my rack. Problem is, it would cost me a lot of money to replace the HD DVD movies with Blu-Rays.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The other one was 'hdfury' for lesser off (you could check out that owners thread for the latest info on discounts).

The Integral setup you described is correct, but then install the BT app on your phone or tablet (or PC app if you wish), where you'll switch between EDID opt8 & 10 for HDR/SDR BT2020 FULL. No diff in color or PQ effects (thats not what to does).
I was able to get the 10% off with HDFury all together. Now I see BB has the Panny so I'll order one and pick up locally. Thanks to you and @zombie10k

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The other one was 'hdfury' for lesser off (you could check out that owners thread for the latest info on discounts).

The Integral setup you described is correct, but then install the BT app on your phone or tablet (or PC app if you wish), where you'll switch between EDID opt8 & 10 for HDR/SDR BT2020 FULL. No diff in color or PQ effects (thats not what to does).
Thanks for that new coupon code; "HDFury" provides a 10% discount.

Would using the Integral change which of the 2 HDMI inputs that I would use in the PJ (I thought that only #1 is HDCP 2.2)? BTW, I just looked at Google Play Store (I'm not an Apple user) and couldn't find any app named BT which would seem to be related to this process; I did, however, find one named "4K Integral Total Control" by HDFury which does show the options of #8 (4k60-420 12-bit HDR BT.2020) and &10 (4k60-420 12-bit BT.2020 which I assume is SDR). Both of these appear to be 4:2:0 12 bit 4K60 color spaces. Is the reason to select #10 because it is 4k60 rather than #8 (4k24-422 12-bit BT.2020) because that one is more "film-like"?

Could I leave it set on #10 until the time comes that the PJs full HDR becomes the default mode or does it also need to be changed manually for non-4K source material? If so, what would the EDID option need to be when the source material changes to a lesser resolution? Lastly, if the Oppo UHD player eventually provides internal "stripping" of HDR to SDR, would that mean that the Integral would be redundant in the video chain? Thanks, again!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

I've still got 2 players & about 70 discs. Maybe it's time we give up and SELL, SELL, SELL (in the immortal words of the Mortimer Bro's!)

Similar situation here. Except it's becoming more of a burden. My HD DVD discs are failing, and my HD DVD player is taking up some valuable room on my rack. Problem is, it would cost me a lot of money to replace the HD DVD movies with Blu-Rays.
Whaddya you mean by "discs are failing" Rich??! :eek:

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Whaddya you mean by "discs are failing" Rich??! :eek:
Not sure what it is, disc rot or otherwise, but it's been a known issue for years in the HD DVD forum section.
It seems Warner Bros. discs fail most often, but others as well. It now seems to be a crap shoot which disc will work or not, which is very annoying as it's hard to plan a movie watching night, especially with guests, when you never know if you'll make it through the movie without the dreaded disc error showing up.

But I still have enough working HD DVDs of movies I like to make replacing them a daunting proposition.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Thanks for that new coupon code; "HDFury" provides a 10% discount.

Would using the Integral change which of the 2 HDMI inputs that I would use in the PJ (I thought that only #1 is HDCP 2.2)? BTW, I just looked at Google Play Store (I'm not an Apple user) and couldn't find any app named BT which would seem to be related to this process; I did, however, find one named "4K Integral Total Control" by HDFury which does show the options of #8 (4k60-420 12-bit HDR BT.2020) and &10 (4k60-420 12-bit BT.2020 which I assume is SDR). Both of these appear to be 4:2:0 12 bit 4K60 color spaces. Is the reason to select #10 because it is 4k60 rather than #8 (4k24-422 12-bit BT.2020) because that one is more "film-like"?

Could I leave it set on #10 until the time comes that the PJs full HDR becomes the default mode or does it also need to be changed manually for non-4K source material? If so, what would the EDID option need to be when the source material changes to a lesser resolution? Lastly, if the Oppo UHD player eventually provides internal "stripping" of HDR to SDR, would that mean that the Integral would be redundant in the video chain? Thanks, again!
- The Integral by default converts HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4. If you leave it that way it shouldn't matter which JVC HDMI input you choose.

- That is the correct mobile App.

- EDID 4k60-420 12-bit BT.2020 represents the maximum capabilities that the Integral reports to the player. It does not force the player to output that format. We use the 4K60-420 EDID with the Samsung player so that it does not output 4K60-444 from the Home screen menu in order to lessen the burden on HDMI cables. The menu is output at 4K60-420 8-bit using this EDID. I can't say what the Panasonic and Philips players do.
When playing UHD Blu-Ray discs with this EDID selected, the Samsung player outputs 4K24-444 10-bit even though the EDID specifies 4K60-420. Again I can't say what the Panasonic and Philips players will do.

- Those of us with Samsung players can't use the 4k24-422 12-bit BT.2020 EDID because I don't believe the player will output 4:2:2. My RS500 has never sync'd successfully if I try to use that EDID. Because 4K24 422 is the maximum capability reported, the Samsung player can't send 4K60-444 or even 4K60-420 for the Home screen menu and most likely would end up sending 1080P.

- I leave my Integral set to either 4K60-420 12-bit HDR BT.2020 or the non-HDR version. Then I use the App to switch between them if I want HDR or not. I don't think there would be an issue sending 1080P through the Integral with a 4K EDID selected, but I don't have my 1080P source devices routed through it so I can't say for certain.

Reactions: GGA and Roudan

·
Registered
63 Posts
My HDFury Integral will be here tomorrow. I plan on doing a very similar thing.

Hopefully this will allow me do what you've done (SDR/BT2020) and not get constant needs for help from family. Leave it in on one preset and go on with life and enjoy but still get the full benefit of Ultra HD. Am I missing something?

I've also noticed the RS500 info screen lacks a lot more signal input details than the Epson. Anything I'm missing there too?
It seems like that is the nature of the beast, with the newest technology, it is not plug and play. The BT2020 profile is much different than the other profiles, so even with the Fury, I need to change the color profile to BT2020 when watching HDR and back to a custom calibration profile when watching blurays and tv. I know what you mean about wanting a family friendly atmosphere. I use a universal remote so I can program a button with multiple steps - so if I select, say satellite, it will change the processor to the correct input, change to the preferred color profile (if I can find the code), even change the audio format, etc. Other than that, I know of no way to make it more user friendly.

I am not familiar with the screen display on the Epson, but I like the JVC display more than my previous sony projector. Of course, all I want to know is if the output is SDR/T2020 and then I sit back and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Problem is wife is not happy and thinks I wasted $5k on the 750 because our 1080p bedroom TV looks more crisp with better color saturation. I agree but did not say anything until she brought it up. :eek: There, I said it... I am whooped!!

I don't have any movies that have HDR yet, so can't compare. Oppo is probably gonna be $2k just judging by the model 105 price. So if the $700 Panny has a consensus here then I will bite and try it out. I want to be impressed and in reading yours, Roxie, Zombie and many other reviews - the Panny will be the price of admission and I want it since I love watching movies with my family more than playing video games alone.
If you are not already blown away by the JVC, getting the Fury and UHD is not going to be a game changer. It is an incremental improvement -- say, 10% improvement over regular 1080p HD.

So if you are budget limited, I would strongly recommend that you figure out why regular HD is not awesome. It should be. It should be state of the art for front projection.

14301 - 14320 of 33251 Posts